Author Topic: Man City - cheating bastards rumbled  (Read 2778990 times)

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
And not a single European Cup to their name.  ;D

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
But they spent more on bringing players in than they made on players sold in 2021, no?. The Grealish fee alone was more than they brought in. Where has the profit on player transfers come from? Is there a simple explanation? Or even a source? was it Loan fees? Undisclosed fees?. Can’t see how they have done it.
The Grealish transfer happened this season while their accounts cover last season.

True but the amount spent is spread over the players' contracts. For example, if a player is signed for £100m and is on a 4-year contract, only £25m will hit the club's profit this year.

After 3 years, his value will £25m. If you sell him for £85m, you can recognize the entire gain of £60m immediately and don't have to spread it.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
And not a single European Cup to their name.  ;D
Lol

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
I think it means they have been “given” the most money, when you balance that against the actual size of the club (or lack of) they come out fourth. Take away the handouts and they are more like 44th most valuable.
Current worth+projected future earnings.

Their projected future earnings take their "sponsorships" into account.

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The Grealish transfer happened this season while their accounts cover last season.

True but the amount spent is spread over the players' contracts. For example, if a player is signed for £100m and is on a 4-year contract, only £25m will hit the club's profit this year.

After 3 years, his value will £25m. If you sell him for £85m, you can recognize the entire gain of £60m immediately and don't have to spread it.

Ok mate, thanks, my maths is unbelievably shite, never mind accounting. I covered accounting in my post grad and was nearly in tears every night. failed the module quite handsomely.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 09:55:11 am by red1977 »

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
Ok mate, thanks, my maths is unbelievably shite, never mind accounting.
You're welcome.

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
See their official Twitter account posting that they're now the 4th most valuable brand in world football? Made me laugh out loud, I have to say. The sport it is a-washing.

Have about 35000 fans in the world, can't fill their stadium most weeks, but yeah a more valuable brand than Liverpool, Bayern or Juventus. And this gets reported matter-of-factly by BBC and the like. Fuck off.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Current worth+projected future earnings.

Their projected future earnings take their "sponsorships" into account.

Which are massively overinflated/fiddled. I live in Manchester, City are still a small club, they don't sell shirts in any numbers locally as they do not have that many local supporters, they can't fill the ground, they don't have the corporate income, they don't have a worldwide fan base, they don't sell Merchandise like us or the other Mancs, they don't have the TV appeal.

They just cheat
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Which are massively overinflated/fiddled. I live in Manchester, City are still a small club, they don't sell shirts in any numbers locally as they do not have that many local supporters, they can't fill the ground, they don't have the corporate income, they don't have a worldwide fan base, they don't sell Merchandise like us or the other Mancs, they don't have the TV appeal.

They just cheat

I'm not convinced he isn't a City fan to be honest.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan

They just cheat
One of my colleagues at work moved to Manchester recently and easily got a ticket for their game against PSG. That says it all.

I normally feel lazy to post here because they are not our rivals and will never be. The same applies to Chelsea and Newcastle. I'm just indifferent to them.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 11:33:16 pm by MonsLibpool »

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
Not sure the PR machine thought this one through.. :D

https://www.mancity.com/news/mens/manchester-city-chelsea-heineken-activation

That headline and the hashtag are amazing, it's like they're taking the piss out of their own fans ;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
Not sure the PR machine thought this one through.. :D

https://www.mancity.com/news/mens/manchester-city-chelsea-heineken-activation
That is fucking hilarious 😂.
If they remove any plastic fans they will literally have none left!

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
There's no way they aren't being trolled by someone in the ad agency.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
Barney Ronay with an extraordinary piece in today's Guardian...basically on his knees, cock in a wad of dirhams, shamelessly plating the ringpiece of Manchester City....the comments, unsurprisingly, have been turned off...

Manchester City’s real magic ingredient? An absence of stupidity

Extreme competence, rooted in state-backed certainty and wealth, has left panic-stricken rivals in their wake again

Sport tends to move towards perfection: cleaner lines, starker numbers, greater certainties. It is a process that football, with its deep variables, its notes of chaos and inspiration, has been surprisingly good at resisting, At least, it has until now.

When the players of Manchester City and Chelsea walk out at the Etihad Stadium on Saturday afternoon there will be the usual sense of event-glamour: the whooshing TV graphics, the anchorman urgency, the feeling of something planetary scale in train.

With good reason. For the Premier League 2021-22 this is one of the key points in the series arc. First plays second, title winners against European champions, a meeting of two of the three most valuable squads in world football. This is the product right here, the sales pitch, the heart of the global eyeball-supremacy.

Zoom out, though, and one thing is missing: any real sense of sporting jeopardy. No doubt the action itself will be supremely high-grade. The digital channels will thrum with game-day ephemera. But as red-hot Super Saturdays go, this is some pretty cold product.

It is a confusing point to make, in part because of the unprecedented level of talent on show. And also because of the basic sensory pleasure of watching this champion City team in action, its beguiling patterns, its architectural beauty, its simple sporting virtues, the collectivism, the selfless energy, the way players are coached and improved. In September City went to Stamford Bridge and seemed to be walking through a different kind of gravity, a high-end strangulation reminiscent of Pep Guardiola’s best-of-the-century Barcelona team of 2009-11.

Five months on those tender hopes of an actual Premier League title race have been lanced by the current run of 11 wins and 33 goals scored through autumn into winter. City were already 10 points clear at the start of January, season diced and trimmed, easing towards a fourth title in five years. And it is perhaps time to say it. We have seen domination before. But this is something new.

It isn’t just about the numbers. But the numbers are startling. Right now City are on course to hit 96 points. In 2017-18 they racked up a century, followed by 98 the season after. Before 2018 no other team in the history of English top-tier football, even allowing for 42 matches a season, had ever matched those totals before. Last season was a Covid-addled compromise but City still ended up 12 points clear of second place.

Some context: before the Premier League anything in the high 70s was a potential table-topper. Even during Manchester United’s imperial phase of the 1990s they were winning the league with, among others, 82 points, 75 points, 79 points, 84 points, before ramping it up to the high 80s in the Cristiano Ronaldo surge years. It took 120 years and one wild pre-FFP transfer splurge for Chelsea to set a new mark of 95 points in 2004-05. City could now pass that for the third time in five years.

Nobody has ever won like this before in English club football. No English team has come so close to stripping away the variables, to reducing the great unsolvable equation, 11 to the power of 11 times 90 minutes, to a kind of inevitability. Not just in terms of goals and points, but in tone and texture, the sense of something without edges or knots or notes of tension. How did this happen? And is it OK?

It is necessary to talk about money at this point. That financial gulf between top and bottom has been widening for a quarter of a century. Record points tallies seem a logical extension, whoever happens to be leading the way.

But there is something else here. This is a champion club owned by a country. Not by the usual gallery of hucksters, egotists, dividend-addicts and rubbernecking self-publicists, but by an entity without any of those constraints. And yes, having limitless financial resources at your disposal isn’t everything. But it’s quite a few things.

It should be noted City are still under investigation by the Premier League for alleged breaches of financial rules, which they strongly deny. There are now rules to regulate related-party sponsorship deals, to try to ensure these are for value and not simply an endlessly gushing cash hose.

Certainly it is a happy coincidence so many Emirates-based independent entities have been drawn to the City brand. No doubt Etihad Airways, Etisalat telecoms, Expo Dubai, Emirates Palace, First Abu Dhabi Bank, Healthpoint Abu Dhabi, Masdar of Abu Dhabi, Noon of Abu Dhabi and the Abu Dhabi tourist board are all delighted with their speculative investment in this sky blue pretender.

Some will suggest financial fair play is in itself an injustice and a tool to promote the status quo, that it presents a pretty odd idea of what is good (the Glazer family’s vampiric ownership model) and bad (regeneration in east Manchester). As of this week City have surpassed Manchester united’s annual commercial income in any case, a return on all that seed capital. Isn’t this how businesses are supposed to work?

But really, it’s not about the money. Clubs have always spent vast sums. Success does not always follow. United have spent a billion pounds on players since Mr. Ferguson retired. Barcelona have spent themselves into a state of glazed and drooling stupefaction. How’s that working out anyway?

It seems the real cheat code, the real magic ingredient is something else: an absence of stupidity. This is an industry shot through with incompetence, greed and competing interests. What if you took away those clogs in the machine? What are the long-term effects of being owned by a different kind of entity, without the everyday operetta, the doomed short-termism of the established model?

It turns out clarity of purpose, extreme competence and government-backed stability – plus (oh yeah) the guarantee of endless funds – is a pretty potent alternative.

United provide the most obvious contrast, a club with the same resources, but a club also shot through with confused desires, torn between siphoning off commercial income and still maintaining the pretence its on-field arm, its trophy-chasing customer interface, really is the core business. City have no such internal dance. And of course the unified, utterly focused nation-state avatar wins that game every time.

The same goes for a club such as Liverpool, where no matter how fine the first XI, the ability to challenge City will be undercut by more human-scale interests. The fund must be serviced, costs capped. How does a club such as Arsenal, hostage to egotism, nepotism, shareholder needs, even get on the same stage?
Jack Grealish, a £100m player Manchester City can afford to buy and then basically lose down the back of the sofa.

And really it is the sense of government-backed certainty that trumps the old panic-stricken model. Planning, recruitment, contracts: all of this can be viewed with a clear head. City can afford to buy and then basically lose down the back of the sofa a £100m player, without the need to worry about opportunity cost, resale value, marketing optics. Chelsea exist on this scale too. Only this month Roman Abramovich’s loans to the club topped £1.5bn, loans only he will ever have to pay off (to himself). When you have that unprecedented stability, when losses are always covered, then your planning makes sense, your model functions.

Perhaps Paris Saint-Germain offer a counterexample, another state-run club that for all its glitz seems clogged with inefficiencies. But what is the actual plan at PSG? To generate buzz? To employ Neymar as a public relations spokesperson? To camp in Paris over the World Cup years? To be visible and glamorous? In which case, missions accomplished.

With City the defining note is extreme, unfettered competence. How sensible to simply bolt on the Catalan model of how to win. To create a system where the manager is the star, to fill your squad with top-quality players in the £40m-£70m bracket, to make the system, the coaching school king.

And if it is all startlingly efficient, with something of the machine-for-winning in the way City have reduced the league season to an irresistible formula, perhaps the only ragged note is Guardiola’s own tendency to blink in big European games, the lurking egotism of the grand tactical stroke.

For the neutral that unticked box provides an engrossing minor chord in this brilliantly conceived and engrossing football entity. And right now this looks like the most irresistible club team English football has ever witnessed, sport reduced to a fine point – high-end and cold-eyed – functioning in its own patch of clear blue sky.
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
Barney Ronay with an extraordinary piece in today's Guardian...basically on his knees, cock in a wad of dirhams, shamelessly plating the ringpiece of Manchester City....the comments, unsurprisingly, have been turned off...

Manchester City’s real magic ingredient? Blood stained oil money.

That whole piece is an utter embarrassment  :puke2
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Believe

• Legacy Fan
I saw that earlier and could scarcely believe it. I generally like the Guardian and subscribe,  but that is an appalling puff piece to the point one suspects he or the paper have been paid.

Shocking stuff.

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
Truly sickening article. It’s applauding a cancer.
They are a disease, and not a very entertains one
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
I’ve obviously misread it. It all seems quite begrudging to me whilst acknowledging how efficiently run they are. Obviously would have been better to call out how they got themselves into that position in the first place the dirty fucking cheats.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
I read a piece of 'journalism' like this, and I immediately conjure up an image of the Suits You tailors from the Fast Show if the likes of Ronay was on their premises being measured for a suit;

"Ohhh Sir, being a shill for a despotic regime are we?, turning a blind eye to their financial cheating sir?", "another puff piece about how much money they have sir?, positively wanking yourself silly are we sir?, ohhhh sir, suits you".

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
I’ve obviously misread it. It all seems quite begrudging to me whilst acknowledging how efficiently run they are. Obviously would have been better to call out how they got themselves into that position in the first place the dirty fucking cheats.
To be fair, they have a good management team but how did they get there in the first place? They have more money than sense and don't feel the effects of bad investments.

• Legacy Fan
To be fair, they have a good management team but how did they get there in the first place? They have more money than sense and don't feel the effects of bad investments.
Exactly, they spent £50m on a shit full back, Pip has also splurged huge amounts on other assorted shite, as he can do freely, as they have unlimited money and have cheated for a decade, every £50m transfer Liverpool make has to be a slam dunk.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
Exactly, they spent £50m on a shit full back, Pip has also splurged huge amounts on other assorted shite, as he can do freely, as they have unlimited money and have cheated for a decade, every £50m transfer Liverpool make has to be a slam dunk.
Not only us. Even United with all their wealth are still persisting with their £80m man for the same reason.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Manchester newspaper famed for fawning over Manchester Clubs is fawning over Manchester Clubs shocker.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online JRed

• Legacy Fan
The ‘real magic ingredient’ is spending unlimited state funds from inflated self sponsorship and cheating every financial rule there is, then inexplicably being let off any punishment because they had four of the top legal firms finding loop holes. Absolutely disgraceful to try and normalise a football club being owned by a country.
I would love the PL to go bust and the whole game come crashing down. It’s sickening what these c*nts have got away with.

Offline Darkness

• Tedious WUM, loves betting on Man U
  • Main Stander
Pep is still.the real difference. The likes of Chelsea and Man utd have no excuse not to be competing with their resources.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
The ‘real magic ingredient’ is spending unlimited state funds from inflated self sponsorship and cheating every financial rule there is, then inexplicably being let off any punishment because they had four of the top legal firms finding loop holes.

And the feather in the cap...a print/broadcast media that not only shy away from highlighting the above, but actively praise and encourage it for fear of not being invited to wet their beaks...we're now entering the vertical integration stage of financial corruption...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
Grim reading that seeing a decent reputable Journalist being bought.

Jesus how many owner linked companies do they have sponsoring them, I thought it was 5, it's looks like double that, I don't think City will be happy with that line in the article.

Makes a sham of their bragging claims this week from Khaldoon of being self sufficient and the 4th biggest brand in World Sport when half of their much self congratulatory lauded turnover is from the actual state of Abu Dhabi.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
It’s obviously just me. When he’s saying no one had achieved this level of dominance before, I don’t think that’s meant as praise is it. To me it’s implying it’s not good for the game.

Although the old regeneration of East Manchester line does feature, like they’re doing it out of the good ness of their hearts.

There are unpalatable bits in there but the point about it’s not just about having kids of money, it’s what you do with it is kind of true. The fact they shouldn’t be in this position in the first place is a different matter. But even beforeGuardiola they still  had money and spent it badly. They were still a soft touch at times and some seasons players clocked off early.

Online JRed

• Legacy Fan

Jesus how many owner linked companies do they have sponsoring them, I thought it was 5, it's looks like double that, I don't think City will be happy with that line in the article.

Makes a sham of their bragging claims this week from Khaldoon of being self sufficient and the 4th biggest brand in World Sport when half of their much self congratulatory lauded turnover is from the actual state of Abu Dhabi.
Maybe by ‘self-sufficient’ they mean self-sponsored.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan

And there was me thinking it was by Ronay.

One of the absolute worst sports writers out there for me. Always wants a contrary take and gives a holier than tho approach to everything. Off the top of my head I can think of a few puff pieces for City, articles basically defending Djokovic - and a weird obsession with attacking Joe Root - whether that’s his captaincy, conversion rate or trying to make him the central baddie of the racism saga. He’s a bad writer, and probably got slung some dosh to write some hipster trash to help with the sports washing. Good for him.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

• Legacy Fan
Here is an article by Miguel Delaney.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/man-city-chelsea-premier-league-b1992551.html
I didn't doubt what you'd said, my point was that the only reputable journalist I'd ever seen writing about the sportswash consistently was Conn, I read very little mainstream media.

Offline Bucko - Dubai

• Anny Roader
From the above article of UAE sponsors:

Etihad Airways (sponsors ground)
Etisalat Telecom
Dubai Expo (sponsors all training kits)
Emirates Palace (luxury hotel partner)
 First Abu Dhabi Bank
Masdar of AD
Noon of AD
AD tourist board

Don't you ever doubt that Man City arent self sufficient.
All a coincidence they are from UAE

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
I didn't doubt what you'd said, my point was that the only reputable journalist I'd ever seen writing about the sportswash consistently was Conn, I read very little mainstream media.

Yes, I get you. I think it's true that far too many journalists are not being more questioning about the City situation. Maybe that will change, should they go on dominating the league to the extent they are now.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Samio

• Displeased Hermaphrodite
  • Legacy Fan
Dull AF.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
How many fans will turn up outside Etihad when they win the title? 11? Guarantee that Sky Sports will run the headline "thousands of fans gather outside Etihad to celebrate title win"

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
"The same goes for a club such as Liverpool, where no matter how fine the first XI, the ability to challenge City will be undercut by more human-scale interests. The fund must be serviced, costs capped".

What does that mean exactly? Human scale-interests?

Love the way our attempts to play by the rules are just dismissed as some nonsense.

City have made loads of silly mistakes. The can just afford to go again. It's not a masterplan to target the best staff and players in the world, and then offer them riches beyond their wildest dreams. It's call cheating.
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
Dull AF.

And that’s the thing. Yes they have very talented players. Yes they have been unbelievably successful. Yes they are winning things ruthlessly, but almost every match I’ve seen them play (admittedly not many) the commentators say ‘they’re a joy to watch’.

No they’re not, they really aren’t.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
Yawn.
Just another nail in the games coffin.