Author Topic: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain  (Read 757877 times)

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Welcome to Liverpool Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
« Reply #3680 on: July 17, 2020, 05:51:29 pm »
He is given a lot more opportunities than say, Shaq. He has started our last 2-3 games did he not? But each time he just look a bit muddled.

I don't think we can blame him for lack of fitness but it was his decision making which is kind of suspect.
That's my view too.  Doesn't make particularly intelligent decisions on the pitch and gives the ball away in promising situations.

Hopefully, if he can start to gather some confidence in his body not breaking down, he can focus 100% on his game and we'll see his potential realised.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Online number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3681 on: July 17, 2020, 06:53:01 pm »
You wonder what the likes of Curtis or even Shaq think about Ox being given plenty of minutes but not really delivering? Ox is a decent enough player but I don't think he's doing enough to merit his pace at the moment.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3682 on: July 17, 2020, 07:21:01 pm »
You wonder what the likes of Curtis or even Shaq think about Ox being given plenty of minutes but not really delivering? Ox is a decent enough player but I don't think he's doing enough to merit his pace at the moment.

Are you joking? Ox has started 3 out of the 7 games since the restart and now Curtis Jones should be pissed off he's not getting his minutes?

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #3683 on: July 17, 2020, 07:28:22 pm »
These last few matches have provided an opportunity for these players to get valuable game time to showcase why they should be in the side. Naby has shown that but Ox not so much.

There's some truth to that, but no need to overstate it either. He's started three games recently - one very poor game against Villa, one game starting as part of the front three where it's always been a case of fulfilling a tactical need for the team even if doesn't suit him personally to play there, and then the Arsenal game in which he played pretty well IMO. Not much there to suggest he's particularly out of form.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 07:33:37 pm by Bjornar »

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3684 on: July 17, 2020, 07:46:06 pm »

Shaqiri can't really think anything given that he's had injury problems literally all season bar a few games, and he's just been back from yet another injury. Shaqiri can't play in midfield either so that's another thing.

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #3685 on: July 17, 2020, 08:05:32 pm »
Doesn't make particularly intelligent decisions on the pitch and gives the ball away in promising situations.

Being willing to try and fail rather than play it safe is part and parcel of why we have become so good, and perfectly in line with Klopp's view on football.

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3686 on: July 17, 2020, 08:33:59 pm »
That's my view too.  Doesn't make particularly intelligent decisions on the pitch and gives the ball away in promising situations.

Hopefully, if he can start to gather some confidence in his body not breaking down, he can focus 100% on his game and we'll see his potential realised.

Yeah agree with the intelligence of Ox's decision making. With his technical ability, pace and power he should be so much more effective in a front three even if its not his preferred position. He will always be a useful squad player but with his natural technical and physical gifts he could be much more. A bit of concern as I am not sure how much footballing intelligence develops much past a certain point.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 08:38:51 pm by ac »

Online hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #3687 on: July 17, 2020, 10:34:00 pm »
Can't be slagging the Ox off. All the players have been shit since the re-start.

Online skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3688 on: July 17, 2020, 11:11:40 pm »
His ability to burst through the midfield after he or a teammate win the ball to start attacks is great for the squad.  As is his shooting ability.  He also seemed good at winning back possession to start our attacks.  He linked up really well with Salah when he started getting into the side his first year.  A lot of Salah's goals in his first season had Ox as provider once he was integrated into the side and before his injury.

It's probably a combination of play being a little different now (with the fullbacks more involved in creating chances), his injury lay-off, and the fact that he hasn't gotten a consistent run of games this year?

Like with our other CMs, he's got some versatility and offers something different.

He never seems to play well as part of the 3 upfront though.
King Kenny.

Online number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3689 on: July 17, 2020, 11:32:04 pm »
Are you joking? Ox has started 3 out of the 7 games since the restart and now Curtis Jones should be pissed off he's not getting his minutes?

Who said anything about being "pissed off"? It's just that Ox has been poor since the restart and offered very little. I was just postulating that some players might be wondering if they might get minutes at hs expense. Playing professional football is a job and if an employee is performing below par colleagues would expect the opportunity to step up.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3690 on: July 18, 2020, 03:13:25 am »
Who said anything about being "pissed off"? It's just that Ox has been poor since the restart and offered very little. I was just postulating that some players might be wondering if they might get minutes at hs expense. Playing professional football is a job and if an employee is performing below par colleagues would expect the opportunity to step up.

The games are meaningless (I have not watched any)

Stop worrying about it.

Ox is a great player  i wouldn't worry too much  about performances in dead rubber games.   He has many years ahead of him

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3691 on: July 18, 2020, 05:11:31 am »
Being willing to try and fail rather than play it safe is part and parcel of why we have become so good, and perfectly in line with Klopp's view on football.
Running down blind alleys in a braindead manner isn't "trying and failing" but feel free to twist the narrative.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #3692 on: July 18, 2020, 09:19:36 am »
Can't be slagging the Ox off. All the players have been shit since the re-start.
Collectively everyone has a dropped in form. Although not playing well, everyone else seems to know their role.

However, Ox looks to be on a different wavelength to the rest of the team. The understanding with his team mates just wasn’t there.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #3693 on: July 23, 2020, 01:28:30 am »
Pleased for Ox tonight. Nice finish when he came on and hopefully he can get back to his best again next season.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Willy Poolman

• Main Stander
  • You'll Never RAWK Alone
« Reply #3694 on: July 23, 2020, 06:56:43 am »
Watching the players charge out of their own penalty area just before the last minute of the game, run the full length of the field, and score a goal was incredibly exciting for me. Seeing AOC on the end of the cross, taking the goal so skillfully, was all the more satisfying. I'd love to see him have an injury-free season coming up, and help us retain the championship.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3695 on: August 21, 2020, 03:05:15 pm »
Picked up an injury...

Jürgen Klopp told Liverpoolfc.com: “Really unfortunate. An unfortunate situation as well; it was a challenge [in training].

“It looks like it is very similar to what Hendo had, which keeps him out for we don’t know for sure exactly how long, but for sure this pre-season he will not make a game, Arsenal for sure not and then we will see. The next game is probably two weeks later, but I don’t know.

“We have to wait but it is far away from being perfect, of course. It is really hard for him and hard for us, but it is not to change.”

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3696 on: August 21, 2020, 03:17:56 pm »
Picked up an injury...

Fucking hell.  Can't catch a break this lad.

Was already struggling for form and now he is missing a big chunk of pre-season.

I fear it is going to be another frustrating year for him and us.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3697 on: August 21, 2020, 03:17:59 pm »
That's quite unfortunate. Fingers crossed it really is only as bad as Hendo's and there's no setbacks in his recovery.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #3698 on: August 21, 2020, 03:18:30 pm »
Frustrating for Ox.

Hope it’s a minor one and it’s only 4-6 weeks.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3699 on: August 21, 2020, 03:20:48 pm »
Fucking hell.  Can't catch a break this lad.

Was already struggling for form and now he is missing a big chunk of pre-season.

I fear it is going to be another frustrating year for him and us.

Uh?

Played 30 games in the league for us last season. People thought it’d be far worse when coming back from his ACL.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3700 on: August 21, 2020, 03:22:13 pm »
Tough timing for Ox.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #3701 on: August 21, 2020, 03:26:45 pm »
Unlucky Ox. Back after the international break possibly?
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3702 on: August 21, 2020, 04:00:59 pm »
Uh?

Played 30 games in the league for us last season. People thought it’d be far worse when coming back from his ACL.

But was he anywhere near his best?  I'm not sure he was.

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3703 on: August 21, 2020, 04:04:08 pm »

Apart from the Atletico game at home (there may be 1 or 2 other performances) he has always looked a bit tired and sluggish like he is over doing it. Never looks 100% fresh if that makes sense

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3704 on: August 21, 2020, 04:48:51 pm »

He's lucky to be walking let alone playing professional football after his injury. It takes time.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3705 on: August 21, 2020, 04:52:15 pm »
He's lucky to be walking let alone playing professional football after his injury. It takes time.
He could have been killed!

Seriously though it’s a shame for him as he was fit most of last season, I can’t actually recall him missing any time really.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #3706 on: August 21, 2020, 05:01:11 pm »
Similar to Henderson sounds worrying.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3707 on: August 21, 2020, 05:11:02 pm »

And now he is injured again so it is going to take even more time for him to get back to his best.

So, as I say, looks as if it may be another frustrating season where whether he is available or not he may not be anywhere near his best for large chunks of the season.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3708 on: August 21, 2020, 05:20:23 pm »
And now he is injured again so it is going to take even more time for him to get back to his best.

So, as I say, looks as if it may be another frustrating season where whether he is available or not he may not be anywhere near his best for large chunks of the season.
Bit early to say it looks like a frustrating season or that he won’t be at his best for large chunks of it, given the season hasn’t even started yet. Annoying and a shame he’s injured and it won’t help missing part of pre-season. But last season only finished a few weeks ago so he probably won’t take as long to get up to speed once fit again. Shall we just wait and see what happens when he’s able to play?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3709 on: August 21, 2020, 05:32:30 pm »

Last season was anything but frustrating if you actually take into consideration the seriousness of his injury. Ergo why I said what I said. Last season was a success for him, given the context around his injury. He is a very lucky young man to be still playing football. Of course it wasn't at his best, but it was a step in the right direction and he made still a valuable contribution with 8 or 9 goals [even more impressive given he wasn't first choice always].

Secondly, given that this injury isn't going to keep him out for months, I don't know how you can say that it's going to be another frustrating season. Time will tell.

In any case, last season was anything but frustrating.

Offline Dynasty

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3710 on: August 21, 2020, 05:33:11 pm »
This feels like Daniel Sturridge  all over he's going to keep picking up injuries and never going to be fit for a good time.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3711 on: August 21, 2020, 05:38:41 pm »
Last season was anything but frustrating if you actually take into consideration the seriousness of his injury. Ergo why I said what I said. Last season was a success for him, given the context around his injury. He is a very lucky young man to be still playing football. Of course it wasn't at his best, but it was a step in the right direction and he made still a valuable contribution with 8 or 9 goals [even more impressive given he wasn't first choice always].

Secondly, given that this injury isn't going to keep him out for months, I don't know how you can say that it's going to be another frustrating season. Time will tell.

In any case, last season was anything but frustrating.

I think he missed 4 games through injury last season, available for a huge majority.

It’s a shame but not the end of the world. Hyperbole though eh? If we’re not careful we’ll end up with some intelligent little rascal comparing him to Sturridge ;D
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3712 on: August 21, 2020, 05:44:28 pm »
I think he missed 4 games through injury last season, available for a huge majority.

It’s a shame but not the end of the world. Hyperbole though eh? If we’re not careful we’ll end up with some intelligent little rascal comparing him to Sturridge ;D

This feels like Daniel Sturridge  all over he's going to keep picking up injuries and never going to be fit for a good time.

You already knew about this,  didn't you?
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3713 on: August 21, 2020, 06:04:50 pm »

Da fuck?  :o :o :o

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #3714 on: August 21, 2020, 06:24:54 pm »
:D

We do love an exaggeration at Rawk. :)

Frankly, I'm lucky to be Rawking

8)

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3715 on: August 21, 2020, 06:37:20 pm »

I didn't mean it literally obviously. Given that you were the ones posting in depth about the seriousness of his injury, I figured you would know what I meant, given that he's playing at the highest level after doing his knee the way he did.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3716 on: August 21, 2020, 06:39:22 pm »
I didn't mean it literally obviously. Given that you were the ones posting in depth about the seriousness of his injury, I figured you would know what I meant, given that he's playing at the highest level after doing his knee the way he did.

Hahah you really can't tell over text ;D

Offline Reeves

• Back from the dead. Bit simples.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS.........
    • RAWK
« Reply #3717 on: August 21, 2020, 06:42:44 pm »
Regrettably an injury prone player. We knew it when we signed him and it’s not changed. Makes the likes of Wijnaldum’s impeccable record even more impressive. People can point to games eg 30 last year but I’d be surprised if that was starts. And 3-4 game still of those he’d have been getting back to sharpness. He's the sort of player you can count on for about half a season on average (I’ve not looked at the stats but that’s my gut feel) and will therefore never be a first X1 starter. No problem with that - we need a squad. But we must accept it for what it is, and I think the record will unlikely improve with age.
..........IS MEASURED ONLY BY SUCCESS"

RAWK - HJC Champions 2003
Former RAWK Scribe 2002 - 2004

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3718 on: August 21, 2020, 06:43:49 pm »
Regrettably an injury prone player. We knew it when we signed him and it’s not changed. Makes the likes of Wijnaldum’s impeccable record even more impressive. People can point to games eg 30 last year but I’d be surprised if that was starts. And 3-4 game still of those he’d have been getting back to sharpness. He's the sort of player you can count on for about half a season on average (I’ve not looked at the stats but that’s my gut feel) and will therefore never be a first X1 starter. No problem with that - we need a squad. But we must accept it for what it is, and I think the record will unlikely improve with age.

Well thats that then.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #3719 on: August 21, 2020, 06:46:41 pm »

Frankly, I'm lucky to be Rawking

...in the free world?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...