Author Topic: Alien: Covenant  (Read 13315 times)

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
Alien: Covenant
« on: January 3, 2017, 01:15:56 pm »
Is there an Alien: Covenant thread?

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Alien: Covenant
« Reply #1 on: January 3, 2017, 05:53:24 pm »
There is now.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #2 on: January 3, 2017, 08:32:35 pm »
Trailer looks shite.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 4, 2017, 01:12:27 pm »
Trailer looks shite.
Looks good to me!

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: January 4, 2017, 02:36:34 pm »
The trailer had so many scenes that we've seen before in other thriller and horror movies. For example, the scene where the man and woman are in the shower together having a good time when the alien decides to make it a bloody threeway is so cliche and overdone. I mean even Snakes on a Plane did it and that was 10 years ago  :P. I hope Scott can subvert all of these tropes and make a fresh horror movie again, but the trailer doesn't leave me optimistic.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 4, 2017, 06:41:28 pm »
Nothing wrong with throwing in a few tropes so long as they are well done.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 4, 2017, 08:03:12 pm »
No chance of reaching the heights of Alien or Aliens .... just don't get those anymore.

Reaching an Alien 3 level film would be fantastic.

...... I'm expecting an Alien Resurrection though unfortunately  :(

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #7 on: January 4, 2017, 10:49:36 pm »
Preferred resurrection to 3. And both to Prometheus.

When Alien first came out to hype and hysteria over people fainting or running out of the cinema, I thought it would be amazing to see a film about that crashed ship. Prometheus didn't quite do it. Hopefully Covenant will.

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 4, 2017, 11:09:04 pm »
Really looking forward to this !

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 5, 2017, 09:34:47 am »
Was hoping for a Prometheus sequel that continued from where we left Elizabeth and David flying off to get answers. Don't think this will be it.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #10 on: January 5, 2017, 10:18:01 am »
Was hoping for a Prometheus sequel that continued from where we left Elizabeth and David flying off to get answers. Don't think this will be it.

Well he turns up in the trailer wearing an 'Engineer' cloak with his head reattached to his body - some clunky explanation will be thrown in I'm sure.

Offline Thush

• Spawwow, Tit. Anal Chat is "Equidistant between chit-chat and analysis"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's pronounced "Toosh"
« Reply #11 on: January 5, 2017, 10:57:13 am »
I think this is set ten years after the events of Prometheus. From what I can guess, there is an android on the Covenant ship that is the same model as David and David, him/itself, has been repaired using parts from the Engineer's ship.

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #12 on: January 5, 2017, 12:53:34 pm »
They totally ballsed up Prometheus by saying it was a prequel to Alien, then changing that half way through and deciding it wasn’t a DIRECT prequel (even though it had the crashed derelict in the third act setting up Alien).

They changed the planet, then went along the lines of ‘it’s a prequel but not a DIRECT prequel’ and then it just became an utter mess.
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 03:36:30 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/EkXgRlRao5I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/EkXgRlRao5I</a>

Feels like an Alien film, bit uninspired by the cast though.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 09:56:13 pm »

I find the visual of James Franco and Danny McBride next to each other in an Alien movie somewhat jarring. Are we watching an Alien movie, or a parody of an Alien movie? I do like Katherine Waterston, Billy Crudup and Michael Fassbender though.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2017, 09:59:11 am »
Only on Youtube comments can they question them colonising a planet when there is so few women on the ship and then homophobia takes over in the comments. :butt

I have a  inbox full of comments in my email,i only commented on the fact i hope this film is better than Promotheus,seems to be a argument going on now about Fassbender that's been going on since last night. :butt

Interesting trailer btw,liking the new version of the android,he actually has a personality this time.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 10:06:21 am »
I find the visual of James Franco and Danny McBride next to each other in an Alien movie somewhat jarring. Are we watching an Alien movie, or a parody of an Alien movie? I do like Katherine Waterston, Billy Crudup and Michael Fassbender though.
What the absolute fuck! James Franco is a massive, massive tool who's killed movies on his own before and then you add a stoner/shit kung-fu actor into the mix.

This is going to be a huge pile of steaming hot shite!

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2017, 11:53:32 am »
What the absolute fuck! James Franco is a massive, massive tool who's killed movies on his own before and then you add a stoner/shit kung-fu actor into the mix.

This is going to be a huge pile of steaming hot shite!
I don't mind Danny McBride. Franco is a tit, but he's done OK in isolated roles where he isn't playing a massive wanker i.e a stoner trying to be funny. Having the two of them on screen at the same time, though...WTF indeed, especially given that this film is supposed to be taken seriously as one of, if not the biggest, science fiction property in Hollywood.

Hollywood has a major problem these days. It's not the countless reboots, although that is an issue. It's the lack of decent actors, or at least ones with decent screen presence, in any given genre.  For example, when you look at comedy, it's been swallowed up by the likes of Seth Rogen and his mates - two of which are in this - and Melissa McBride. Decades ago you had the likes of Eddie Murphy in his pomp, Gene Wilder, Richard Pryor, Bill Murray, Steve Martin, Robin Williams, I could keep going. The thing they all had in common is that they could also act in other serious roles too. They were just watchable. With action films you'd the usual big name muscle heads that couldn't really act but looked the part, but then you'd also Clint Eastwood, Harrison Ford and Gene Hackman as great actors with amazing screen presence. Look at the original Alien cast and then compare it to this one. Outside of Fassbender, who've you got there that's really watchable?

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2017, 12:22:43 pm »
I don't mind Danny McBride.
Totally agree. I can crack a beer and watch one of his films but he's got no right to be in this.
Outside of Fassbender, who've you got there that's really watchable?
Repace is also quality.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2017, 12:41:11 pm »

Definitely, just spotted Demian Bichir now watching it for the second time. He's really good too. So many unrecognisable faces though. Fodder no doubt, but i was hoping for a film more like the original, so a load of pointless deaths is one of the things I didn't want from this.

Hopefully any Pineapple Express weirdness is short lived, Franco might be one of the first to go judging by the prologue.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2017, 02:56:32 pm »
Danny McBride and fucking James Franco :lmao :lmao

Was expecting Seth Rogan to walk around laughing with an Alien, both finishing off a spliff
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2017, 03:08:56 pm »
Danny McBride and fucking James Franco :lmao :lmao

Was expecting Seth Rogan to walk around laughing with an Alien, both finishing off a spliff

Did you Cum on my Alien?

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2017, 01:48:43 pm »
Hope they don't balls this up

Prometheus was a bit all over the place, think they tried to make it a bit too clever at times and it just didn't need to be. They just needed to put out a well executed Alien film, something that hasn't happened for a long time.......though I didn't mind Resurrection too much (until the end) and the first AvP was fun at times but irrelevant.

James Franco? hope he is acting more like he does in the planet of the apes film as opposed to being a comic relief character, but with his mate there also doesn't bode well.

Humour has no place in Aliens...unless its between grunts in the infantry. RIP Bill Paxton  :'(
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2017, 03:31:15 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/EkXgRlRao5I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/EkXgRlRao5I</a>

Besides any misgivings with the casting, if the way that is written, and the use of music, is anything to go by, it seems this will be pretty poor.

I do quite like the spooky neon-ish colouration, but then visuals were never gona be a problem with Scott. I can't stand when dialogue and nondiegetic music is tailored to the dumbest in the audience, to directly tell them who someone is (bystander: "Gosh, I just can't believe her husband is a world-renowned brain surgeon who just got let out of prison" - *cue shot of man they are talking about, as this is a prominent character*), or how to feel.

May just be a bit of promotional fluff, with a lighter tone than the actual film will have (the choking gag was fun I suppose, but hope there's not loads of stuff like that in the feature), but doesn't bode well at all to me.

I'm of the opinion that self-referentially taking the piss in a horror context doesn't work with stuff like Alien. Alien is deadly serious, the very human blue-collar joshing about with yer pet cat soon ends, and the atmosphere is deliberately oppressive as fuck. The original does not provide any light relief once the shit hits the fan, and is still powerful because of those decisions to go all-out intense.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2017, 11:44:22 pm »
I actually quite like James Franco.  He's a very solid actor who lacks focus and gets into too many shit projects. He's a bit like Takeshi Miike, plus he obviously thinks of himself as a bit of a renaissance man, doing music and literature and everything in between. His acting is fine. From 2008-2012, he had a bunch of decent to good roles in Milk, 127 Hours and Rise of the Planet of the Apes. He delivered in all those performances. But at the same time he's doing an insane number of movies a year. Six in 2012, NINE in 2013, five in 2014, ELEVEN in 2015, eight in 2016. And that's just movies and TV.

If he does a combination of:

Focusing on movies/TV
Focusing on acting above any other kind of work (he also writes and directs)
Doing only 2-3 projects a year, and
Work less with Rogen, McBride et al

I think he'll be a very bankable actor.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #25 on: March 1, 2017, 02:19:33 am »
New Trailer is up:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/svnAD0TApb8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/svnAD0TApb8</a>
We are Liverpool!

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #26 on: March 1, 2017, 07:59:12 am »
New Trailer is up:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/svnAD0TApb8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/svnAD0TApb8</a>

Not optimistic, though at least this will look stunning. Kenny Powers, Alien Hunter, would've been awesome.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #27 on: March 1, 2017, 08:53:09 am »
Not optimistic, though at least this will look stunning. Kenny Powers, Alien Hunter, would've been awesome.
Yeah, I think I'll just have to switch off, get a bit baked maybe and watch it in IMAX 3D and all that gubbins - it'll certainly be a ride, a feast for the eyes & ears of sorts.

I imagine it'll at least do its thing much much better than Prometheus did, which was still mainly a rich visual experience, if little else (although I still think, and actually said at the time on its thread on here, that the proposed utterly stunning, all-is-forgiven calibre of its visual splendour was very overstated - just visit Iceland and have it all take your breath away IRL). This'll have some superb fx set pieces no doubt, just like that did; snip all the best scenes/moments of Prometheus off and stitch them into their own little promo thing, and it'd seem amazing.

Danny McBride is really not working for me here, though. Not his fault at all, and I'm sure being a genuine massive Alien fan he's done his utmost not to spoil the ambience, but he just carries too much stoner comedy baggage, it's so difficult for me to wash all that off his face, if you get me?! His face is silly.  ;D

I though Yaphet Kotto and Harry Dean Stanton's characters provided a few great little moments of levity early on in the original Alien, but they were also very serious dramatic actors, with serious acting chops. Stanton's just an outstanding film actor full stop, and Kotto's Parker is so wonderfully convincing and human from first to last, I love that character arc. They could give you the world-weary humour, the typical disgruntled blue collar worker moaning, and then the shock, the anger at the realisation of betrayal, the bone-chilling terror, the desperate instinctive last-ditch courage... it's about range, they don't carry very specific tonal connotations on their very being. McBride totally does, and it's hard to ignore for the sake of giving his character a fair crack of the whip; I'll try, but I imagne he's very much a cheeky 'joker' type in this, in a nod to where the audience knows he comes from. It's clear as day from the trailers. It's another of those things that a lot of people may like, but cheapens it for me, takes me out of the mood it should be working hard to keep me in. "Spoils" is harsh, but tone, and the mood it creates, is everything in a horror film.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 1, 2017, 10:26:43 am »
The scariest part of that whole trailer is realising they brought no animals with them and they're stuck eating shit like wheat and being vegetarians forever
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 1, 2017, 11:24:29 am »
so the pineapple express crew are heading to the same planet as Elizabeth and the severed head?
PSN: white-of-my-eyes

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #30 on: March 1, 2017, 02:17:05 pm »
Lot of CGI, the Xenomorph jumping around the outside of the ship looks kind of goofy. Just wrong seeing it in daylight too i guess.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 1, 2017, 05:00:06 pm »
That Xenomorph looks different. Looks like it has eye sockets. It also seems to be lacking the mechanical-looking design of Giger's aliens, which had a distinct, almost industrial look to them, with ribbed piping running through their joints and a mechanical-looking jaw. That one looks a lot more organic and less 'alien'.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 1, 2017, 05:08:44 pm »
That Xenomorph looks different. Looks like it has eye sockets. It also seems to be lacking the mechanical-looking design of Giger's aliens, which had a distinct, almost industrial look to them, with ribbed piping running through their joints and a mechanical-looking jaw. That one looks a lot more organic and less 'alien'.

A missing link between Prometheus alien and Alien alien?
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #33 on: March 1, 2017, 05:22:58 pm »
Prometheus with a Xenomorph.

Yawn.

Keep ruining the franchise.
:D

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2017, 11:52:49 pm »
New Poster. Creepy!

We are Liverpool!

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2017, 03:46:24 pm »
Ridley said he could make 4 more Alien prequels.

He is 80 years old in November. You could just see a comedy skit with him and James Cameron in an old age home, weeing themselves over which Avatar or Alien sequel was the best.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2017, 07:22:46 pm »
New Poster. Creepy!

Actually excellent, that. Makes a change from the usual ad-hoc design posters that are just banged out with little effort.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2017, 07:25:53 pm »
Ridley said he could make 4 more Alien prequels.

He is 80 years old in November. You could just see a comedy skit with him and James Cameron in an old age home, weeing themselves over which Avatar or Alien sequel was the best.
I don't understand why some of the directors are so quick to tarnish some of their own legacy by agreeing to pump out mediocre shite, over which they have very little control over. It should be all or nothing for these directors. They should have at least earned that much. Look at what George Miller did with Fury Road. Zero compromises made. He made the film that he wanted to make and didn't settle for any of the big studio meddling or internal politics bollocks, and it showed with just how good that film was.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2017, 07:28:52 pm »
Actually excellent, that. Makes a change from the usual ad-hoc design posters that are just banged out with little effort.

Na needs more HR Giger sexual undertones.
:D

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2017, 08:43:30 pm »
Na needs more HR Giger sexual undertones.
I love the very Gigery monochrome 'biomechanical wall of sickness' aesthetic of that poster, but you do have a point there. The xenomorph hasn't been particularly rapey (that whole slow creeping physically intrusive thing) since the original, from what I can recall now of all the others.

One of the most discomforting things about Giger's best work is that incredibly dark and grim sensual, often explicitly carnal vibe, that sort of gives you hints of primordial feelings you don't really know what to do with. Horribly beautiful & unwillingly erotic, and that should always inform the design of the aliens, not just horrible alone. The facehugger stage is the one thing that has remained incredibly disturbing throughout everything, for that entire intimate assault on your person that constitutes its life cycle.

They just don't hire enough artistically adept sick fucks for these sorts of things anymore