Author Topic: The Day Today/Brass Eye/Chris Morris-isms  (Read 40999 times)

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Day Today/Brass Eye/Chris Morris-isms
« Reply #160 on: October 9, 2013, 12:09:14 am »
A mate of mine was laid up with a bad leg injury at the time, dosed up on serious pain-killers. He used to listen to Blue Jam in the wee small hours whilst off his face. It took him years to come to terms with what he heard........

I was usually dosed up too. But I'd need to get the bus a bit early. Night's only beginning! No... Blue Jam is on. A perfect come down. Fucking loved it. I didn't have a record button... so I had to get back for it. I did miss a couple when things were looking good mind. In my head.

I couldn't believe Jaaaam - the TV version that came out soon after. Jaaaaaam was car crash to me - felt like Blue Jam was being butchered.

"I mowed down..." ;D

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #161 on: October 9, 2013, 03:09:25 am »
I was usually dosed up too. But I'd need to get the bus a bit early. Night's only beginning! No... Blue Jam is on. A perfect come down. Fucking loved it. I didn't have a record button... so I had to get back for it. I did miss a couple when things were looking good mind. In my head.

I couldn't believe Jaaaam - the TV version that came out soon after. Jaaaaaam was car crash to me - felt like Blue Jam was being butchered.

"I mowed down..." ;D

Ha, ha! Probably my favourite line in that. One thing I distinctly remember about Blue Jam was the choice of background music. Lots of ambient stuff, but I recall he looped some instrumental Beach Boys (Surf's Up) and used that as the backing track for one of the Rothko monologues I think. He's good at the old music is Morris.
We are Liverpool!

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: October 9, 2013, 10:09:43 pm »
Ha, ha! Probably my favourite line in that. One thing I distinctly remember about Blue Jam was the choice of background music. Lots of ambient stuff, but I recall he looped some instrumental Beach Boys (Surf's Up) and used that as the backing track for one of the Rothko monologues I think. He's good at the old music is Morris.

The music was perfect for it... perfect for the early hours of the morning too. Lots of quite obscure stuff as well as the likes of Beck, Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada etc. They really need to come out in full, in a boxset, all 3 series. I have series one on two cassettes (tho one is missing now! argh), recorded down the line from Chris Morris's original DAT recordings. Which is nice. Friend was seeing one of the actresses at the time.

This site claims to have the lot but I can't stream/download them. http://cabinessence.cream.org/ The site was the same a decade ago.

Been muttering ''Has he got a bottom in his trousers?' to myself all day, and giggling.

The 3rd and last series ended with a censoring. Morris allegedly swapped the tapes at the last minute after the BBC decided that one particular sketch couldn't be aired. They cut the transmission, slipping in an earlier part of the series in instead.

And this is that particular sketch:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/BR3XFcsEGu0?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/BR3XFcsEGu0?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

and no more Blue Jam was commissioned ;D

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: October 10, 2013, 11:54:25 pm »
I find it quite weird really how little Morris puts out there.. The Day Today was genius TV. Brass Eye was also good, but I was less keen. Then there was Jam? Which I enjoyed but felt was a bit weird and since then? Not a lot. He was in the IT Crowd as an actor for one season (as far as I recall).. so what else has he been doing? Can anyone enlighten me please? Why the lack of output?

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #164 on: October 11, 2013, 02:11:44 am »
I find it quite weird really how little Morris puts out there.. The Day Today was genius TV. Brass Eye was also good, but I was less keen. Then there was Jam? Which I enjoyed but felt was a bit weird and since then? Not a lot. He was in the IT Crowd as an actor for one season (as far as I recall).. so what else has he been doing? Can anyone enlighten me please? Why the lack of output?

Good question. As far as I can make out, he's actually a very private family man who dislikes publicity. He's also a film director, although he's only done "Four Lions" that I know of. Anyway it's quality, not quantity from Mr Morris! But yeah, your right, since Brass Eye he does move at My Bloody Valentine pace.
We are Liverpool!

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: October 11, 2013, 09:53:06 am »
Quality over quantity, I suppose.

It's better than putting loads of new stuff out there and it being rubbish.

Wasn't he involved with Charlie Brooker's stuff like Nathan Barley and the other TV Go Home-inspired stuff?
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #166 on: October 11, 2013, 11:51:21 am »
Quality over quantity, I suppose.

It's better than putting loads of new stuff out there and it being rubbish.

Wasn't he involved with Charlie Brooker's stuff like Nathan Barley and the other TV Go Home-inspired stuff?

Co-wrote the first series of Nathan Barley, but that's years ago.

He's directed a few episodes of Iannucci's Veep. Looks like the last thing he's been involved with since Four Lions.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: October 17, 2013, 09:36:31 pm »
Woke up the other morning and for some reason, 'BANG!' came into my head.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/r3BO6GP9NMY?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/r3BO6GP9NMY?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

'The stretched twig of peace is... at melting point.'

Offline ericthered10

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #168 on: October 17, 2013, 10:21:28 pm »
So so good. Glad this thread turned me onto it or I'd have never stumbled on it otherwise

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: October 17, 2013, 10:40:16 pm »
Reports, reports, reports...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ER0zKTGI2g8?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ER0zKTGI2g8?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: October 17, 2013, 11:36:31 pm »
Woke up the other morning and for some reason, 'BANG!' came into my head.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/r3BO6GP9NMY?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/r3BO6GP9NMY?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

'The stretched twig of peace is... at melting point.'

'The people here are literally bursting with war'.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: October 18, 2013, 11:41:38 pm »
Can anyone find the sketch where one of the regulars is asked, 'WHICH ONE THEY'D HUMP?'

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: October 18, 2013, 11:56:49 pm »
It was a short sketch... 10 or 15 seconds perhaps, where, I forget his name now, was passed photos of women, as a trailer for a new TV series that was going to be aired, where he'd be asked 'which girls he'd hump'. And he'd consider it briefly... nodding yes, giving a maybe... giving a no. Really bored.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #173 on: October 30, 2014, 08:15:48 pm »
A date for the diary...

From Chortle...

Radio 4 Extra are to air a three-hour retrospective of Chris Morris's work called Raw Meat Radio.

The show will be presented by Mary Anne Hobbs, and is set to air at 7pm on November 29.

Producers have been working with the fan site Cookd and Bombd to track down rare clips, and the BBC promise plenty of material that hasn’t been aired since it was first broadcast. Archive footage will include clips from his local radio days at BBC Bristol and GLR as well as On the Hour, Why Bother? (which he made with Peter Cook) and Blue Jam.

Interviewees include Morris biographer Lucian Randall; comedian Paul Garner, who worked on Morris's radio shows; Matthew Bannister, his boss at GLR; Armando Iannucci, who created On The Hour with Morris; and IT Crowd writer Graham Linehan, who contributed to Brass Eye.

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2014/10/08/21081/bbc_plans_chris_morris_tribute
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #174 on: October 30, 2014, 09:46:54 pm »
Nice one mate.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: November 28, 2014, 11:55:49 pm »
A date for the diary...

Dropped in to give a similar heads up. So much to look forward to.

'I just had this image of you dying... ha...  Lying there burbling away. '

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #176 on: November 29, 2014, 02:36:02 pm »
Sounds good. Love him.

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #177 on: November 30, 2014, 05:36:47 pm »
Haven't listened to this yet, but here is a download for it I found on cookdandbombd - https://www.sendspace.com/file/jq3033

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #178 on: December 4, 2014, 12:56:30 pm »
Chris Morris returns to airwaves with new sketch on BBC 6 Music on Sunday

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/dec/03/chris-morris-bbc-6-music-blue-jam-on-the-hour

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: February 11, 2016, 10:53:59 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/CuBJuMFnZ_s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/CuBJuMFnZ_s</a>

'... but maybe the day after that.'

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #180 on: February 12, 2016, 09:11:40 am »
Just saw yesterday the Jam has been on Gold and I've missed it, plus they only have the one episode on catch up rather than the whole series which is a shame.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: February 12, 2016, 09:01:08 pm »
Glad this thread was bumped. Inspired me to download the Chris Morris Collection. Ive never seen Jam, only vaguely remember The Day Today as I was only a bairn and loved Brass Eye.

Offline slamjam

• Anny Roader
« Reply #182 on: February 12, 2016, 10:36:20 pm »
Imagine brass eye today with some so called celebs what Chris would do.   Plus some stories you see these days you think are they real or can Chris Morris really see the future

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: February 12, 2016, 11:55:20 pm »
Imagine brass eye today with some so called celebs what Chris would do.   Plus some stories you see these days you think are they real or can Chris Morris really see the future

I think this moment was one of the greatest moments in recent cultural history. Daily Star 2001.

I think of Morris, and refer to him far more than I should. But fuck me are we saturated in it!

ps. Crasher - Check out Blue Jam the radio show before you watch the telly version. It's far far FAR better.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 11:58:00 pm by Filler. »

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #184 on: February 13, 2016, 08:38:29 am »
I think this moment was one of the greatest moments in recent cultural history. Daily Star 2001.

I think of Morris, and refer to him far more than I should. But fuck me are we saturated in it!

ps. Crasher - Check out Blue Jam the radio show before you watch the telly version. It's far far FAR better.
The fume over "sick show" and then the highlight on the Charlotte Church page...you couldn't make it up.

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #185 on: February 13, 2016, 06:39:23 pm »
I don't like this thread, but I'm going to have to go along with it
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #186 on: February 13, 2016, 07:30:19 pm »
I don't like this thread, but I'm going to have to go along with it
Ich nichten lichten...
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: February 13, 2016, 08:12:08 pm »

Cheers will check it out

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: February 13, 2016, 10:10:49 pm »
Ich nichten lichten...

Trenter percenter...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/TknnvlcLsYI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/TknnvlcLsYI</a>

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: February 13, 2016, 10:26:13 pm »
Cheers will check it out

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/E8VG6HUimsQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/E8VG6HUimsQ</a>

Headphones... in bed. It works best at night.  ;)

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: February 13, 2016, 10:45:14 pm »
"The Tower Im in is collapsing Chris ...... Im collapsing"
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 10:47:41 pm by CrasherKid79 »

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #191 on: February 14, 2016, 12:13:08 am »
"The Tower Im in is collapsing Chris ...... Im collapsing"
"I'm just...I've managed to...I'm out!"

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: February 17, 2016, 08:16:23 pm »
Headphones... in bed. It works best at night.  ;)
Cheers. Downloaded the 3 seasons off one of those torrenty thingys. Enjoying

Offline slamjam

• Anny Roader
« Reply #193 on: August 31, 2016, 04:03:21 pm »
Going  through brass eye again I can't believe how he got people to say what he wanted.

[Nobody cares what phone you have and that you are using the free version of Tapatalk]

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: November 9, 2016, 06:29:39 pm »
'It does indeed look like an impulsive act of public self abuse. Senator Axby seems to unleash a length of skin-clad tube, his anatomy has broken cloth there, and he staggers around, vigourously ransacking his dignity, until finally he releases several arcs of liquid silk from the fleshy nozzle of his fork.'

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ioZZcjzmy-4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ioZZcjzmy-4</a>

'The stretched twig of peace is at melting point"'

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/r3BO6GP9NMY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/r3BO6GP9NMY</a>

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #195 on: January 27, 2017, 12:31:45 am »
I've been listening to David Holmes "Late Night Tales" compilation a lot recently. It reminds me so much of the old Blue Jam 1am narcotic vibe.
We are Liverpool!

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: January 27, 2017, 12:17:47 pm »
Would love to see Chris Morris do some satire on the current state of the world
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: May 26, 2017, 10:25:40 pm »
Been looking for this one for years... and it's been up on YT for er, years. Came to mind again scrolling thru the transfer chat. Someone mentioned something about who Phil Babb was screwing... can... ah... Jo Guest... so I couldn't remember who Jo Guest was so had to google image her, and this sketch again, came to mind. So again, I search for it, 'you never know'... it's been up there for 10 bloody years!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/p0TUDremT0A" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/p0TUDremT0A</a>

Can't tell you how many times I've thought about this 20 second sketch since it was first aired. Thousands.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: May 27, 2017, 03:01:03 pm »
Been looking for this one for years... and it's been up on YT for er, years. Came to mind again scrolling thru the transfer chat. Someone mentioned something about who Phil Babb was screwing... can... ah... Jo Guest... so I couldn't remember who Jo Guest was so had to google image her, and this sketch again, came to mind. So again, I search for it, 'you never know'... it's been up there for 10 bloody years!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/p0TUDremT0A" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/p0TUDremT0A</a>

Can't tell you how many times I've thought about this 20 second sketch since it was first aired. Thousands.

So funny it's unreal. Look up the Drumlake School sketch too. So wrong yet so funny.