Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1399590 times)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #16920 on: May 19, 2019, 11:51:07 pm »
They had the easiest cup run in the history of the league, especially in the FA Cup.

All trebles aren't the same, and this one certainly isn't the greatest.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #16921 on: May 20, 2019, 12:31:39 am »
They had the easiest cup run in the history of the league, especially in the FA Cup.

Agreed.

I think it's fair enough that winning a treble is hard. It's also fair enough that winning the league this season was particularly hard because they had a tough opponent in us. But they had a breeze in the other two competitions.

Likewise, if we had beaten Schalke, Porto, Lyon and United to win the CL, you would say that it was an easier tournament to win than what we had.

Moreover, winning the domestic treble is usually made harder by the fact that the domestic league challengers are likely to put a lower level of priority on domestic cup competitions, so it's difficult to compare actual difficulties in that context.

I don't know why we're getting ourselves in a knot trying to figure out what's harder to do though. Guardiola is trying to defend not winning the CL (or even making the final) for a third year in a row at City and an 8th year in a row in his career. If we win the CL, we're not going to waste any time wondering if it would have been better if we won the domestic treble instead.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16922 on: May 20, 2019, 01:34:00 am »
He's said that to cover his own arse, he's already admitted he'll only be remembered based on what happens in the CL whilst he's at City. He's pissed he's not getting the attention he imagined they would get after winning 3 trophies.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #16923 on: May 20, 2019, 01:38:46 am »
I would say the recent run of Celtic disproves your theory. They are on for a treble of trebles yet are a million miles away from winning the Champions League. That for me shows that the difficulty in winning a treble is hugely dependant on the teams you have to face.

Add in the fact that a lot of teams rest players for the cup games and it lessens the achievement of City in winning the two domestic cups. In a situation in which teams are rotated for Cup games the team that can field a £300m+ reserve side has a ridiculous advantage. 

The Champions League by definition is the elite competition and far too often Guardiola's teams come up short.
Come on, let's not move the goal posts. Treble in England. Otherwise, I can point out to a number of clubs in the lower leagues that dominate the respective domestic scene, but never even pass the group stage in the CL.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16924 on: May 20, 2019, 01:41:11 am »

And that's the key to the treble, IMHO, or more specifically, the two domestic cups. The top teams field fringe players in the early rounds on the FA cup, and practically until the final rounds of the League Cup. So, once in a while, the stars align... But the league title is far more difficult to attain.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #16925 on: May 20, 2019, 02:28:12 am »
Come on, let's not move the goal posts. Treble in England. Otherwise, I can point out to a number of clubs in the lower leagues that dominate the respective domestic scene, but never even pass the group stage in the CL.

Except the majority of the teams City faced in the Cups were the equivalent of the teams who participate in your so called lower leagues. Basically it doesn't matter what League you compete in if you get drawn against second rate teams. Winning both Cups whilst only playing two top half Premier League teams whilst beating neither over 90 minutes is nothing to write home about.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16926 on: May 20, 2019, 02:53:31 am »
Except the majority of the teams City faced in the Cups were the equivalent of the teams who participate in your so called lower leagues. Basically it doesn't matter what League you compete in if you get drawn against second rate teams. Winning both Cups whilst only playing two top half Premier League teams whilst beating neither over 90 minutes is nothing to write home about.
Again, I agree about the quality of the teams City faced. And even City's fringe players are capable of beating almost anyone in England. I get that and I agree 100%. Nonetheless, a treble is a great achievement. In sure you were playing a different tune in 1984, in which case we won the league with 80 points, and in 2001 when we didn't even win the league. I know I was.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #16927 on: May 20, 2019, 12:46:05 pm »
They're hardly the first team to have an easy domestic cup draw.

In 2001 the only Premier League side we faced in the League Cup was Chelsea in the third round. After that we had a third-tier side and three second-tier sides (including Birmingham in the final).

These games are only 'easy' to City because their squad depth dwarves everyone else's in the country.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #16928 on: May 20, 2019, 01:17:35 pm »
Personally I think that the domestic Cups have become massively devalued because of the money available for success in the Premier League and the Champions League. You now get the majority of sides making wholesale changes for the Cup games. Liverpool are the only Club domestically who can compete head to head with City but we simply haven't taken the domestic cups seriously.

Add in the ridiculous advantage City's cheating gives them in terms of squad depth and for me I don't think you can compare previous trebles with the one City have completed. Firstly it was a far more level playing field in terms of squad depth and secondly teams used to take the Cups far more seriously than they do now. It is now expected that City will win the domestic cups in a pretty similar way to how Celtic are expected to win the cups in Scotland. 
"Ohhh-kayyy"

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16929 on: May 20, 2019, 01:26:27 pm »
They're hardly the first team to have an easy domestic cup draw.

In 2001 the only Premier League side we faced in the League Cup was Chelsea in the third round. After that we had a third-tier side and three second-tier sides (including Birmingham in the final).

These games are only 'easy' to City because their squad depth dwarves everyone else's in the country.

No, they're easy because they played Rotheram,Newport County and Swansea in the run in. They also played a 15th and 17th placed relegation contenders in Burnley and Brighton who's priorities aren't in the cups but staying up. The only top half opposition they played was in the final itself.

Man City, Manchester United, Chelsea,Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur, or Liverpool Bloody Football Club, should all be winning those games and had any other side won the FA cup with that run in, we'd be saying the same, it would have been the easiest path for a top side to a trophy.

They had a ''harder'' run in for the league cup as they played Chelsea in the final, and the only other top half opposition was Leicester. That's not mentioning that they played Oxford,Burton Albion and relegated Fulham.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #16930 on: May 20, 2019, 02:15:01 pm »
No, they're easy because they played Rotheram,Newport County and Swansea in the run in. They also played a 15th and 17th placed relegation contenders in Burnley and Brighton who's priorities aren't in the cups but staying up. The only top half opposition they played was in the final itself.

Man City, Manchester United, Chelsea,Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur, or Liverpool Bloody Football Club, should all be winning those games and had any other side won the FA cup with that run in, we'd be saying the same, it would have been the easiest path for a top side to a trophy.

They had a ''harder'' run in for the league cup as they played Chelsea in the final, and the only other top half opposition was Leicester. That's not mentioning that they played Oxford,Burton Albion and relegated Fulham.

I’m sorry but my reaction to this and Als argument is ‘so what’

It’s all looks horribly small time to be honest
We all enter competitions, they have random draws and we play the games - it’s been the same for tens of years and no one has completed a domestic treble or got the league points they’ve gotten.
The off pitch problems are very real with what they’ve done but trying to minimize their on pitch achievements based on the football played or fixtures looks silly
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 02:19:47 pm by JackWard33 »

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #16931 on: May 20, 2019, 02:24:09 pm »
I know history n all that but think one of the domestic cups should be sacked off personally
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline BTGH

• Anny Roader
« Reply #16932 on: May 20, 2019, 02:30:26 pm »
In fairness? Nah - let's enjoy the grumpy defensive vibe he's giving out. It's the one chink in their financially-doped armour.

I bet you that given the choice between winning the champion's league and completing a historic domestic treble, Pep will go for winning the champion's league in a heartbeat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16933 on: May 20, 2019, 02:32:03 pm »
I’m sorry but my reaction to this and Als argument is ‘so what’

It’s all looks horribly small time to be honest
We all enter competitions, they have random draws and we play the games - it’s been the same for tens of years and no one has completed a domestic treble or got the league points they’ve gotten.
The off pitch problems are very real with what they’ve done but trying to minimize their on pitch achievements based on the football played or fixtures looks silly

I am not minimizing what they did in the league for the last two years, we're talking about the difficulty of winning the treble, and if you're analyzing who they're playing with the players they've got, then them winning the treble is hardly surprising. Hence my reaction to them winning it is so bloody what the same reaction you have to my post.

We all enter competitions and have random draws, but the fact remains that it's the easiest path to a final they could have gotten, considering their quality and who they played. That's just a fact. That's why I said all trebles aren't equal. So if someone is wondering why no one is arsed about them winning the treble, that's one of the reasons HENCE why I posted what I posted. If I was just ranting without any reason behind and not pertaining to what we were discussing two pages back then you'd have a point.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16934 on: May 20, 2019, 02:49:56 pm »
I don't think anyone is denying that their draws were easy or favourable.

What is bizarre and small-time is that everyone is acting like it's the first time any side has ever had an easy run in a cup competition. As I pointed out, our League Cup route in 2001 was extremely favourable. The FA Cup route was pretty kind too with the exception of Leeds away; I mean we played a relegated second-tier side in the quarter-final and a mid-table third-tier side in the semi-final! Did I give a fuck then though? No. To win both cups is hugely impressive regardless of who you face.

Arsenal only five years ago won the FA Cup by beating Middlesbrough, Southend, Brighton, Sunderland, Sheff Utd and Hull. It happens. Crying about it when we can't even get past the 3rd or 4th round most years isn't a great look.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 02:52:13 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16935 on: May 20, 2019, 02:57:02 pm »
Personally I think that the domestic Cups have become massively devalued because of the money available for success in the Premier League and the Champions League. You now get the majority of sides making wholesale changes for the Cup games. Liverpool are the only Club domestically who can compete head to head with City but we simply haven't taken the domestic cups seriously.

It comes down to strategy, Al. Our domestic cup record under FSG is shockingly bad and I would suggest that is because they have a) generally preferred to load the wages into a core of say 14-16 players, rather than spreading it more thinly across 18-20 and b) made it clear to our managers that the cups are not a priority.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16936 on: May 20, 2019, 03:05:24 pm »
What is bizarre and small-time is that everyone is acting like it's the first time any side has ever had an easy run in a cup competition. As I pointed out, our League Cup route in 2001 was extremely favourable. The FA Cup route was pretty kind too with the exception of Leeds away; I mean we played a relegated second-tier side in the quarter-final and a mid-table third-tier side in the semi-final! Did I give a fuck then though? No. To win both cups is hugely impressive regardless of who you face.

No one is reacting like it's a first time this has happened. That's just nonsense. When Arsenal were winning the FA Cup's in recent years with favorable draws, there were plenty including myself who pointed it out. Again the context of the conversation is

1. them winning the treble
2. how impressive it is/isn't.
3. the reaction to them doing so

Considering the abundance of ability they have, considering the squad at their disposal, considering who they played, them winning the treble is not surprising, their league titles in the last two years individually are more impressive than winning the treble in itself. The reason I am mentioning this because the conversation is why no one gives a feck about them winning it, and why the reaction to their success is ''meh'', THOSE ARE THE REASONS WHY. Not that it's the first time it's happened, but why people are indifferent to their success this year, most notably the treble.

Our treble in 2001 was fantastic but it wasn't the greatest in the history of the club. We didn't win the league in the treble. The Mancs just did it the other year with Mourinho and the reaction to them doing it was the same as  it is to City winning this one, no one is arsed. In the Red Manc's case, they too had a favorable run to the EL final, and considering their players at their disposal, it was hardly that impressive. There were plenty of people who commented on it at the time as well.

If you follow the flow of the conversation and what we're discussing, you'd understand why this is being brought up.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16937 on: May 20, 2019, 03:16:57 pm »
No one is reacting like it's a first time this has happened. That's just nonsense. When Arsenal were winning the FA Cup's in recent years with favorable draws, there were plenty including myself who pointed it out. Again the context of the conversation is

1. them winning the treble
2. how impressive it is/isn't.
3. the reaction to them doing so

Considering the abundance of ability they have, considering the squad at their disposal, considering who they played, them winning the treble is not surprising, their league titles in the last two years individually are more impressive than winning the treble in itself. The reason I am mentioning this because the conversation is why no one gives a feck about them winning it, and why the reaction to their success is ''meh'', THOSE ARE THE REASONS WHY. Not that it's the first time it's happened, but why people are indifferent to their success this year, most notably the treble.

Our treble in 2001 was fantastic but it wasn't the greatest in the history of the club. We didn't win the league in the treble. The Mancs just did it the other year with Mourinho and the reaction to them doing it was the same as  it is to City winning this one, no one is arsed. In the Red Manc's case, they too had a favorable run to the EL final, and considering their players at their disposal, it was hardly that impressive. There were plenty of people who commented on it at the time as well.

If you follow the flow of the conversation and what we're discussing, you'd understand why this is being brought up.

I'm following it, I just don't agree with you. I know that upsets you greatly, hence your usage of capital letters to try and emphasise your point, but you're effectively saying very few achievements by any favourite in history are worthy of any positive reaction, and that's plain boring nonsense.

The reason for any lack of reaction to City comes down to their money, not their easy draws.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16938 on: May 20, 2019, 03:20:03 pm »
I'm following it, I just don't agree with you. I know that upsets you greatly, hence your usage of capital letters to try and emphasise your point.

Fair enough you don't agree with it, :)  . The use of capital letters is to clarify why I AM  posting what I am, not because I'm upset. I have nothing to be upset about, You give yourself far too much credit in that regard.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16939 on: May 20, 2019, 03:20:36 pm »
Fair enough you don't agree with it, :)  . The use of capital letters is to clarify why I AM  posting what I am, not because I'm upset. I have nothing to be upset about, You give yourself far too much credit in that regard.
Cool.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16940 on: May 20, 2019, 03:23:36 pm »
but you're effectively saying very few achievements by any favourite in history are worthy of any positive reaction, and that's plain boring nonsense.

The reason for any lack of reaction to City comes down to their money, not their easy draws.

No, what I am effectively saying as I've said in in the last several posts why the reaction is what it is to City and their achievements. There are multiple reasons, I discussed them all, I mentioned one of them being their run in, I didn't say it was THE REASON. I specifically listed several reasons, that was one of them.

I said all trebles are not equal, not that they don't deserve a positive reaction, there is context to everything which I provided, some are more impressive than others and vice versa, that's very different than saying none deserve any positive reaction. You're inferring that, I'm not.

Offline Blue Coop

• Anny Roader
  • MCFC
« Reply #16941 on: May 20, 2019, 08:50:35 pm »
Good to see a much less reactive approach in this thread than might have been possible. I think you accept you’re a very good side and will be there again next year, and I think it’ll be another fantastic season for both sides to make for some good competition. I have a feeling you might go one better next year in the league. Also nice to have the CL final to look forward to as well so best of luck there!

I won’t make a case for the impressiveness of a domestic treble because it speaks for itself, it’s never been done before, but I do find the easy draws argument a bit lazy, especially alongside a title race requiring 98 points! The only teams you can draw in the cup are the teams left in the competition, and you only remain in the competition if you win. To play easy teams the entire way means they’ve all knocked the other ‘not so easy’ teams out. If you want to make the competition difficult then all the good sides have to beat the easy sides right the way through, unless they’re not so easy after all. It’s bizarre to all go out the competition but then label the entire thing easy to win every game in.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16942 on: May 20, 2019, 09:02:14 pm »
Good to see a much less reactive approach in this thread than might have been possible. I think you accept you’re a very good side and will be there again next year, and I think it’ll be another fantastic season for both sides to make for some good competition. I have a feeling you might go one better next year in the league. Also nice to have the CL final to look forward to as well so best of luck there!

I won’t make a case for the impressiveness of a domestic treble because it speaks for itself, it’s never been done before, but I do find the easy draws argument a bit lazy, especially alongside a title race requiring 98 points! The only teams you can draw in the cup are the teams left in the competition, and you only remain in the competition if you win. To play easy teams the entire way means they’ve all knocked the other ‘not so easy’ teams out. If you want to make the competition difficult then all the good sides have to beat the easy sides right the way through, unless they’re not so easy after all. It’s bizarre to all go out the competition but then label the entire thing easy to win every game in.

It's not bizarre if you aren't taking posts out of context. I for instance said easy path to the final and I was also talking about other trebles that have been won.  You still have to win the match however given your players and what you have at your disposal, it would be pretty stupid to ignore the difference in quality between yourselves and championship and league 1/2 sides. We fielded a second string side due to variety of reasons and played Wolves who are a difficult to play even with our best players. We don't have the same quality depth to do what you did. SO it's not bizarre at all. We also went out to a Chelsea side in the league cup at the beginning of the season. You played them in the final.

But cheers for the good luck  :)

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16943 on: May 21, 2019, 09:21:25 am »

You got the easiest possible draw in both the league cup and FA Cup in pretty much every single round. Drawing Newport, Swansea, Brighton was totally predictable before the balls were even in the bowl. How many teams actually played to get anything from City in the league in the last 10 games? Maybe 2? The sooner you fuck off back to division 2 the better. Cheating fucking scum.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16944 on: May 21, 2019, 10:49:01 am »
Think this thread needs to go into hibernation till next season..  ;D
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #16945 on: May 21, 2019, 10:54:01 am »

AMEN!

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #16946 on: May 21, 2019, 01:03:23 pm »

If City are interested in competition then stop cheating.

Regarding how difficult a treble is then surely the level of opposition you face in the cups is hugely relevant. It doesn't need much brainpower to understand that. A treble in which you face competitive games in each round is much harder to win than a succession of walkovers with City being huge odds on in every tie.

City for me are killing the cups. You have done everything in your power to nullify the chance of an upset. Through a style of play that runs the opposition in top the ground and then brings on a hundred million pounds worth of players to finish the game off.

Cups used to be about upsets, about the opposition players raising their game, about a few of your players having an off night or picking up injuries along the way.

The Swansea tie is the perfect example. They played magnificently, scored fantastic goals and deserved their victory. It didn't happen because City are cheats and are financially doped up to the eyeballs. You started the game with a front six of Sane, Jesus, Mahrez, the Silvas and Gundogan. When that didn't work you brought on Sterling, Aguero and Zinchenko. If you had played by the rules and adhered to FFP that simply wouldn't be possible.

As I said you are killing the cups. What is the point of teams picking their best eleven and giving it everything when City have a quarter of a billion pounds worth of talent sitting on the bench waiting to subvert any fair outcome. Look at Schalke threatening to field their reserves against you.

All City fans must know deep down that it isn't right what you are doing.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #16947 on: May 21, 2019, 01:32:26 pm »

Absolutely.
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16948 on: May 21, 2019, 01:32:41 pm »
What’s new under the sun? We know their cheats but I feel we are giving them too much energy, we’ve already seen this happen before with Chelsea cheats too, or Milan a team that most would praise on here bankrolled by millions and a billionaire owner, the cheating didn’t stop them from losing to Spurs and it won’t stop us from winning the league next year, they get stronger we get stronger, and when we do win it will feel far more deserved or rewarding..

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16949 on: May 21, 2019, 01:51:45 pm »
Taking my Liverpool supporter hat off for a moment and putting a 'state of the game' one on...

Honestly, I find the whole thing getting a bit boring if City romp to another 98-100+ total next season. Jonathan Wilson (who I actually think is pretty bad at analysing football on the pitch) did an article the other day on the prospect of a European Super League. I've always thought it sounded like a shit, tacky money-grab initially but I'm starting to come round to the idea if FIFA/UEFA aren't going to take financial doping that seriously. Ultimately, I think the European elite will get what they want (more money) and the smaller teams will start feeling like they might have a chance of winning things again?

7 on the trot for Bayern. 8 for Juventus. City with 100 and 98 points back to back. PSG dominating Ligue 1. PSV/Ajax in Holland.

My economics is not that hot, but this is just the predictable trend of the transfer market being totally unregulated and free, right? Inequality is inevitable.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 01:57:00 pm by groove »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16950 on: May 21, 2019, 02:00:04 pm »
For the first time in 10 years, a side won the league in consecutive seasons so England doesn't have the problem that Italy has with Juventus being better than everyoen else [Napoli had a good chance in Sarri's last year, Milan have self combusted since selling Thiago Silva and Ibrahimovic so that's more their fault than Juventus being good], Prior to PSG, Lyon won the league 8 times in a row, but even with PSG's wealth the likes of Lille,Montepellier,and Monaco have won it in the last 10,11 years.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16951 on: May 21, 2019, 02:06:55 pm »
Won it in consecutive seasons with record points totals!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16952 on: May 21, 2019, 02:14:05 pm »
Won it in consecutive seasons with record points totals!

Point still stands though, they didn't just get wealthy two years ago, they've had this financial banking for how long now?

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16953 on: May 21, 2019, 02:57:19 pm »
Personally I'm happy for us to keep binning off the domestic cups. Let City win them while we focus all our energy on the ones that matter. Almost worked this season.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #16954 on: May 22, 2019, 02:38:21 am »
What’s new under the sun? We know their cheats but I feel we are giving them too much energy, we’ve already seen this happen before with Chelsea cheats too, or Milan a team that most would praise on here bankrolled by millions and a billionaire owner, the cheating didn’t stop them from losing to Spurs and it won’t stop us from winning the league next year, they get stronger we get stronger, and when we do win it will feel far more deserved or rewarding..

The moment you stop reprehending people for cheating and let standards and decency slide is when you start the slippery slope. The people who thrive on breaking conventions and rules thrive on the misconception that fairness or even-handedness will eventually even itself out.

We have politicians now who personify that. City personify that in terms of Football.

City are the Donald Trump of Football. They break every rule in the book and then use their PR machine to drown out any opposition. Any valid questions are fake news. 
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #16955 on: May 22, 2019, 10:03:39 am »
It comes down to strategy, Al. Our domestic cup record under FSG is shockingly bad and I would suggest that is because they have a) generally preferred to load the wages into a core of say 14-16 players, rather than spreading it more thinly across 18-20 and b) made it clear to our managers that the cups are not a priority.
Yup. Which means that we're further contributing to the free fall in prestige that the domestic cups are experiencing, and thereby also dimishing the value of City's treble. Historically it was a real achievement to win these titles, but not anymore. Winning the PL title consecutive seasons is, especially against the best #2 in history.

Personally, I couldn't care less. The domestic cups have been doomed for more than a decade. Why would fans care about a competition that the players and clubs don't care about, and vice versa? Having only one cup might reduce the bleeding a bit, but it's too late anyway.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 10:05:31 am by jepovic »

Offline RedMan89

• Anny Roader
« Reply #16956 on: May 23, 2019, 11:11:43 pm »
If city lost and we won the final game does that mean we would of had a trophy waiting at anfield?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16957 on: May 23, 2019, 11:14:13 pm »
Replica
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16958 on: May 24, 2019, 12:01:08 am »
If city lost and we won the final game does that mean we would of had a trophy waiting at anfield?

There’s three. One with the reigning champs. One at the PL HQ. One for promo purposes.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline oxenstierna

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16959 on: May 25, 2019, 12:15:41 am »
i have huge faith in our team, but none in the other sides to take points off City in the league. Sadly I think the only way to win the title next year is to win both games against them