Author Topic: The War Time Derbies 1939-1945  (Read 20876 times)

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
The War Time Derbies 1939-1945
« on: January 27, 2004, 05:17:32 pm »
The War Years (1939-1945)

Many things were rationed during the war years, but “derbies” against Everton were not amongst them. You might only get 6 rashers of bacon per fortnight, two eggs and a pork chop, but games at Anfield and Goodison were plentiful.

When the war started my old fellah, Billy Brodrick, was only 6 years old and like many young kids of his era, apart from collecting shrapnel there wasn’t much to do. My family at the time lived by the old Bear Brand factory in Woolton, which had changed from making stockings to parachutes.

Hitler’s determination to level it to the ground on many occasions had made all the girls use another form of making their legs look attractive. The ladies of the day had to satisfy themselves with gravy browning on the legs, with their sister or daughter drawing the straightest line she could down the back of their legs to make it give a “Stockings appearance” from a distance.

The fact that most got chased down every street by a pack of dogs, told a different story. Poor beggars, the dogs get a whiff of something like roast beef only to find a pair of spindly legs with knobbly knees for all their efforts.

The name “Woolton” became very well known, not because of the beautiful village, but because of a birk called Lord Woolton, who had invented a vegetable pie and a vegetable stew. Perhaps the stew was the fore-runner of “Blind Scouse”, who knows.

Pocket money and money in general became very scarce as did a lot of local men folk.  But some lads and men had to stay at home. Due to Liverpool being the main entry port for food stuffs and other things (the yanks were prepared to lend us) Grampa Peter was a docker which probably accounts for how my old fellah grew so big in those years. Yes food was hard to come by, but where there is a will there is a way. The roaring trade of spivs in the local ale houses, The Grapes and The Vic, always kept the locals in the odd extras.

Then someone, somewhere must have had a brain wave. What about trying to keep football going while the war is on? Ok, it would have to be regionalised due to petrol rationing. Ok, teams would have to draft in squaddies and the like who were stationed locally to fill in the gaps left by players who had signed up. But it was possible.

Most people had had to content themselves with a night at the pictures up ‘til then. Or a night at the local boozer, seeing who could sip the slowest. So on the 2nd December 1939, the first “War Derby” was arranged to be held at Anfield. The Liverpool side:

Riley, Cooper, Tennant, Busby (yes, it‘s Sir Matt), Bush (no relation for those curious), McInnes, Nieuwenhuys, Taylor, Fagan, Balmer and Van Den Berg.

I know, before you say it, who?

You’ll have to get used to reading names you’ve never heard of, because we drafted in players from anywhere we could. The Everton side:

Sagar, Jackson, Saunders, Lindley, TG Jones, Watson, Davies, Bentham, Bell, Stevenson and Boyes.

Again I know, before you ask, who the hell does this fellah Jones think he is having TWO initials? Get used to the idea the Blues were snobs, a very rich club - even Goodison was considered one of the best grounds in the country in those days.

And so the day arrived. Most would get to the ground by “Shanks' Pony”. No Shanks was not the local stable lad, leasing out transport, it meant “walking”. It was hard enough affording to get in, let alone paying for a tram. This combined with people working 6 days a week and the lack of spare cash limited the crowd on the day to 8,000. But those who did turn up enjoyed a well fought draw 2-2. Nivvy (Nieuwenhuys) and Fagan scoring for The Mighty Reds and Davies and Stevenson scoring for the snot nosed Blues.

The event was enjoyed so much, that the Echo ran a story about lifting the gloom from Merseyside. Perhaps next time, more people would scratch the entrance fee together? Perhaps next year the powers that be could arrange more than one game?

1940 saw two games. The first, 30th March 1940, saw the Liverpool team of Riley, Harley, Tennant, Busby, Bush, Paisley, Liddell, Taylor, Nivvy, Carney and Van Den Berg, thrash the Blues 3-1. Now it would be very easy here to draw attention to the fact that the Great Billy Liddell played, on leave from the RAF. But I won't! No, I won't! Ok, he scored one, ok he made the other two for Nivvy, but I refuse to rub the bluenoses' noses in it that Billy was the greatest player the City of Liverpool has ever seen.

The fact that he had no time to train with the team and just turned up, stripped, put his kit on and ripped the Blues to bits, has nothing to do with our magnificent victory. 12,896 turned up for this game at Goodison, the war games were starting to become popular.

The second game that year was on 25th December 1940, psssssttt, guess what? Liddell turned up again. The Liverpool side; Bartram, Harley, Stuart, Lambert (without his butler), Turner, Spicer, Paisley, Carney, Nivvy, Polk and Liddell. The return game at Anfield saw Liverpool once again absolutely trounce the bluenoses with the same score line. This time Carney did most of the damage with two goals and Nivvy popped the third one in for fun (he was enjoying these games).

Little Billy Brod, only seven years old at this time, must have dreamed about watching his favourite Reds beating the Blues, but alas he would have to content himself with his dreams as there was no spare cash in the house for such frivolities. And all the cash he earned doing various jobs here and there was spent on taking his beloved sister Anne to the pictures.

Anne better known in the family circles as “Queen” or “Queenie“, is as much a treasure today as she was in those days. And if truth be known, my Dad got the jobs, but it was Our Queen who actually did them. From delivering papers and groceries to running any other jobs my Dad could find. Meanwhile arrangements were being made elsewhere to make these fixtures more frequent.

Amazingly we played each other SEVEN times during 1941 and I’m sorry but I cannot write about them all as I’d be sitting here typing until I retire. Dates of games:

4th January, Anfield
11th January, Goodison
8th February, Anfield
31st May, Anfield
2nd June, Goodison
25th October, Anfield
1st November, Goodison

Most were crap anyway (honestly believe me here) but for posterities sake I will give you a list of the players who played in 1941 as all deserve a mention. Goals are in brackets:

W Teasdale, Stuart, Owens, Lambert, Turner, Spicer, Nieuwenhuys, Paisley (1), Fagan, Polk, Liddell (4), Bartram, Shafto (1), Patterson, G Jackson, Done (4), Hobson, Seddon, Kaye, Cook, Hanson, Farrow, Taylor, Whitaker, Bush (1), Ainsley, Ramsden, Carney, Dorsett, Gutteridge and Haycock.

Regrettably due to service Busby did not play in 1941. If I was forced to pick a game from that year, for no other reason than it being close to my birthday I would have to pick the October game at Anfield. Another 13,000 turned up for this one where Everton scored two goals and proved to be worthy opposition on the day and very hard to beat but Liddell scored two and Mr Bush scored the other. You've just gotta laff haven't yer!!

In 1942 the two Old Enemies played each other five times. Record attendances so far of 33,445 and 33,780 turning up for the first two games, on the 11th and 18th April. The games were becoming very popular. The Blues edged the first game at Anfield, but Liverpool annihated them in the return game at Goodison 1-0, Balmer doing the damage for the Mighty Reds.

A rare piece of knowledge about Jackie Balmer is the fact that he was the nephew of the two full back brothers, Robert and Walter Balmer, who plied their trade for the lesser side on Merseyside. Jackie also started his career as an amateur for the tight fisted gits across the park. I bet years later when Balmer was scoring week in week out for the Mighty Reds, that decision was queried. Ten goals in three consecutive games “Jackie” once wore the blue of Everton in his youth which might be worth a wind up next time yer in the pub.

New names who played for us in 1942 were Jones, Shankly, Woodruff (I thought that was a school in Speke), McLaren, Wharton, Mills, Westby, Keen, Pilling and Hulligan. The most memorable game of 1942 had to be 30th May and it was a great shame that only 13,761 turned up at Anfield to watch such a dazzling display. Lawton scored for the Blues, but they were totally outclassed on the day. Done, done them twice, Carney scored a screamer and Wharton finished them off.

To be fair, we really did pull a fast one in this game. We unleashed a right half on everton, who chewed iron and spat nails. Every time one of their players got the ball, when he looked up he saw a speeding train coming toward him. They saw “fire coming from his gob” and “steam coming from his ears“, we really did “unleash hell” in the form of Bill Shankly that day.

We have always accredited ourselves with inventing “pass and move”, but for once let’s give some credit to the Blues. When their players saw Billy coming “they passed”. And when they had passed “they moved” like lightning to get out of his way. So Billy only played one game for Liverpool and in that game we beat the “woodentops from woodison” 4-1! Ah, treasured memories of what’s to come. Liverpool also beat Everton 1-0 at Anfield on 12th September, Mills scoring the only goal on the day.

Ok breaktime for a coffee and a re-read lads, won't be a mo ....

After reading the story so far, I regret I feel it’s leaning toward a slight bias for The Reds. A story is not a story unless it tells all sides of the equation, and so I must try and balance the story with a good game for Everton. Sorry lads, but that’s the way it’s got to be. A true hardened Red fan would read this upcoming passage, some of the weaker hearted had skip it.

Goodison was to hold the last game of the year in 1942, 19th September was the date. The Blues had drafted in some pretty tasty “ringers” and it would be difficult for us to “keep up with the Jones’s” in this game. The sides:

Everton:
Burnett, Cook, JE Jones, Bentham, TG Jones, Watson, Jackson, Mutch, H Jones, Stevenson and Anderson.

They really did play well in this game (I would suggest the squeamish, close their eyes). The bluenoses scored four goals against us. I know, difficult to read lads, but now as all the feint hearted supporters have skipped this and are reading the next paragraph let me tell you some good news .... so did we. Our team of Hobson, Westby, Gutteridge, Kaye, Keen, Pilling, Liddell, Dorsett, Hulligan, Mills and Boon (sorry Done) traded goal for goal with them. Dorsett scored twice, Done and Liddell scored the others for the Reds and everyone went home happy, the balance redressed.

1943, saw the two teams meet FIVE times yet again. The bad news: it was an absolute tragic year. The good news: for THEM! 9th January at Goodison, saw Liverpool beat Everton 3-1. Much was said about Mutch scoring for them, but Hulligan scored twice and Shephard scored once for the Reds. To be fair here we were great and they were shite. Let’s not dwell on their early depression in 1943, cos there’s loads more to come. 16th January saw Liverpool win at Anfield 2-1, Balmer and Done turning them over. 26th April saw Liverpool rip them to bits 4-1, also at Anfield.

Three wins on the trot in the same year, boy were we living high on the hogs back. Time to redress the balance again? 9th October 1943, the fourth game of the year was played back at Goodison saw Everton score another four against the Reds. Stuff redressing the balance this time, Liverpool scored SIX! That’s right S-I-X, SIX! Harley scored one, Welsh scored one, but Done done ’em big style and scored four. The team that day; Hobson, Westby, Gulliver, Kaye, Hughes, Pilling, Harley, Balmer, Done, Welsh and Hanson. Four wins on the trot, four, it couldn’t get any better than that. Could it?

Yes.

The final game of the year 16th October saw Liverpool triumph once again. 25,000 at Anfield lapped up a 5-2 win. The men who did the deed were Harley, Done, Nivvy and good old Jackie Balmer scoring a brace. Five victories against the old foe in one year. My old fellah was 10 years old and had seen Liverpool smash the bluenoses five times in one year scoring 20 goals.

I’ve never been envious of my father’s youth, all that cottage pie without mince, steak egg and chips without the steak or the egg. Drippin' (wait for this lads, you know that scum in the bottom of a roasting tin after cooking the Sunday joint? Well when it’s cold, that’s the stuff) spread liberally over a piece of toast. Porridge made with water and the good old Sunday morning fry up. 1 piece of fried bread, ½ a sausage, dried scrambled egg and tinned toms (anyone thrown up yet?).

Can you imagine sitting down this Sunday and being greeted with that. I can hear you now, “Kinell darlin, what’s that”? In them days she would answer, “Get used to it, by the way, there’s no milk or sugar for yer cuppa tea and the tea leaves are on their sixth run". But if I could watch my beloved Reds stuff the Blues 5 times in one year, I think I could put up with a few shortages on the table, couldn’t you? Aggregate score for the year, Liverpool 20, Everton 9.

There follows a note if you do associate with any Blues, something which I do not do or recommend others to do unless they are family. Remember the next time you’re at a do and you’ve got a glass of plonk in yer mits, hold it up to the light, have a good look at it. Sniff at the bouquet (pronounced bucket I think), give it a good neckin' and say mmmmmm, that was a good year. With a bit of luck, they'll ask “which one”? 1943!! And say it with relish.

New names for 1943; Charlesworth, Hall, Eastham, Pope (hurrah the Pope played for the Reds, no wonder the results all went our way), Low and Gulliver (back home from his travels).

1944 was the year of chickens and hens (I’ll explain later). Also the year of EIGHT derbies.

Everton were determined to do something about being trounced for a full twelve months and started 1944 with a win at Anfield on 22nd January. Sorry boys, but shit happens, rare as rocking horse shit it may be I know, but nevertheless it happens. Good news is we only had to wait one week until 29th January to exact our revenge at Goodison where a new record war time derby attendance of 45,820 watched. Nivvy, Balmer and Welsh scored in a very entertaining 3-2 win.

I use the phrase “entertaining here” - well at least it was for one half of the city. The only entertainment the bluenoses were getting at this time was watching Flash Gordon at the local flicks. The third game that year on 10th April saw Everton again topple the Reds, but luckily we wouldn’t have to wait too long to restore our pride. 15th April at Anfield saw Liverpool run out comfortable winners 3-0, Hulligan getting a brace and Done doing what Done does. 22nd April at Anfield also saw Liverpool trash the opposition 4-2. Done done it not only once, not even twice, yes Done done them thrice and Polk, poked in a fourth. These sentences are getting harder by the minute, I think it’s time we rested Done, do, doing, done, is becoming a nightmare.

As the Blues are also becoming so easy to beat I also think it’s time we give them a break too. Let them regroup, let them try and find some more talent because what they’ve got can hardly be described as talent. “School of Science”? Yer 'aving a laff, the only thing they’ve got in common with the School Of Science is the initials SOS which they’re sending out after each trouncing.

So six months later on 21st October, battle would recommence. The Everton line up; Burnett, Jackson, Greenhalgh, Grant, Lindley, Watson, Rawlings, Wainright, Wyles, Stevenson and Peters.

They faced the Red Army of; Kemp, Harley, Gulliver, Busby, Hughes, Pilling, Nieuwenhuys, Taylor, Smith, Balmer and Cumner.

Result? The usual, we stuffed ’em 2-0, Smith scored both our goals.  Busby played an absolute blinder on the day, ran the game throughout, the Everton players returned to their own dressing room with their heads firmly between their legs. Questions had to be asked. The games were becoming so one sided and the results so obvious, there had to be a re-think.

Can we let them play with 12, my dad asked his father? No son. Can we give them a goal start? No son. Can we play them with one hand tied behind our back or only let us use our right feet? No son.

Something had to be done though as even the Reds were getting bored with stuffing the Blues. A decision was taken in Anfield. Done can’t play any more, he scores too often. Busby can’t play any more, he’s too good. Liddell can play, but he can only use his right boot. (A lot of good that’ll do, he hits them just as hard with either foot).

And so 1944 came to a close with two draws, 0-0 at Anfield on 29th October and 2-2 at Goodison on Boxing Day. Liddell scored both Liverpool goals, one with his right foot, the other was a header. The games ended that year, Liverpool 4 wins, Everton 2 wins and two draws. Evertonians with a pair of drawers (there’s a bloody novelty)!

Just to relieve the boredom here, I’ll give you some bad news and some good news on the war front. The Junka’s (german aircraft to you and me) had successfully hit the chippy on Halewood Road missing their intended target “Bear Brand” by a country mile. The good news: “chickens”! Yes chickens had arrived in the Brodrick household.

No, you don’t eat them soft arse, they lay eggs. Egg and Chips with runny yokes mmmmmm, I can smell them from here. Dad's job? To look after them of course. Funny, thinking about it now, but my Father became a Union Delegate later in life and a bloody good one at that. The only reason I mention that is,of course, he delegated the job to Our Queen. I wonder whether he foresaw his future career very early in life, I’ll have to ask him that when I next see him. His motto? Why do a job yourself when you can delegate it to someone else. Pretty clever for an eleven year old. He’s obviously gonna be the brains in this family.

1945, the final year. New names for the final year;
Campbell, Blood, Kinghorn, Shannon, Easdale, Nickson, Finney (don’t ask if it's Tom, I don’t know, perhaps someone can ask the club) Baron and Priday. 3rd February was the first game of the year and the least said about it the better. Captain Blood played by Errol Flynn was a hero to many in the flicks, but the Blood who played for us in his only game plundered no treasure.

A week later on 10th February with Captain Blood probably ransacking the Spanish fleet somewhere in the Caribbean, Liverpool got back to winning ways with a tremendous 3-1 victory, Cumner the tricky winger getting two goals while the consistent Nivvy got a third.  A single goal by Lawton was about as much use as a fag without a match for the Blues.

March that year brought two games, on the 24th and the 31st, Liverpool winning both 1-0 and both goals were scored by Liddell. Another record gate for the war period had been set in the second game, 51,512 turning up in the “Theatre of Wood” to watch Liverpool and Liddell outplay Everton, but there was a cost.

Due to Liddell scoring the goal with his left foot, it was decided by the powers that be within Anfield that he should be punished with a one game suspension. "We can’t have Liddell running around the park scoring with his left foot, it upsets the native Blues" must have been the train of thought.
So on 2nd April Everton won their second game of the year.

The penultimate game of the series was held at Anfield, 12th September. Liddell played, Liddell scored, bugger all new there then. Liverpool ran out comfortable winners 2-1, the winning goal scored by Shannon. “The Bells of Shannon” were certainly ringing that night.

And so our story comes to a close. The war was over. Rationing would still be in place for a long time but, between the Yanks, the Spivs and The Glorious Dockers of Liverpool, not many would go hungry in our city as long as you had a shiny shilling in yer pocket. There was many ways of earning a shiny shilling in those final days of 1945, and who am I to knock anyone who found some lead lying around, not being used. Who am I to say, that kids climbing over the back of the Co-op wall to grab empty pop bottles and return them through the front door for the deposits are wrong. As I said, pocket money didn’t exist and if the only way of getting into the ground to watch a derby in the war years was by a little bit of pilfering or light fingered trickery so be it.

Now I did say a “little bit of pilfering”, but bloody hell lads. December 1945, must have been like the riots in Toxteth. Anything that wasn’t nailed down must have been either pawned, flogged or weighed in. 60,296 fans found themselves with enough cash to go and watch the final war game. And quite fitting to bring this story to a close, all fans went home happy. The 2-2 draw at Goodison saw Boyes and Catterick score for the Blues, with Liddell and Baron keeping the Reds happy.

I cannot imagine how hard life was in the war years and I don’t suppose there are many around who can. But God bless every one of you who still somehow treasure the memories of those times. And God bless all the lads who never returned home, Red and Blue.

Lest we forget, while they were in Europe kicking Hitler’s arse, Liverpool were kicking Everton's.

© Wooltonian 2004
« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 09:20:28 am by Rushian »
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline Kirsty

• Has a list of older men she'd like to 'wotsit'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @kirstycurran
Re: War Time Derbies 1939-1945 (NEW)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2004, 05:31:58 pm »
Quality  :)

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2004, 06:25:46 pm »
Thank you so much for a really good read. It's great that somewhere someone takes time to preserve the memory of  seven long years which were such a large part of the careers of men like
Billy Liddell, Bill Shankly, Matt Busby and countless others whose wartime stats don't appear in league and cup records. I bet there are even a few Scousers in those line-ups who played their only games for Red or Blue during the war years.
At the rising and the sitting down of the Kop we shall remember them.

Offline Bannside Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Proud to be Red
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004, 07:17:45 pm »
Even the World at War couldn't stop us from battering the Bitters. ;D

Another excellent read Karl.

Once heard the Great Peter Doherty guested for us during the war years. Not sure who against, have you got any record of this?

Offline seawa

• will do anything for a hob nob
  • Kopite
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2004, 03:09:18 am »
We have always accredited ourselves with inventing "pass and move", but for once let's give some credit to the blues.
When their players saw Billy coming "they passed"
When they had passed "they moved" like lightning, to get out of his way.

;D ;D

Great read, as always Wooly!

BTW, I have a friend out here (Seattle) who's father was in the navy during WWII.  He has fond memories of visiting Liverpool during the war - said he loved the city.

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2004, 11:09:25 am »
Bannside,
so many played for us during the war games, it may be difficult to find teams for each match.

I think that would be an exellent question for SOZ at the top of the page.

If I find any info I will let you know.

Karl
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline Bannside Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Proud to be Red
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2004, 11:13:29 am »

so many played for us during the war games, it may be difficult to find teams for each match.

If I find any info I will let you know.

Thanks  Karl.

Ernie

Re: The War Time Derbies 1939-1945
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2004, 08:31:56 am »
Great read Wooly. I'm still chucklin'
I would be about the same age as your Dad and I remember a lot of those names from the time.
I am interested in where you got your info.
My Dad guested for several clubs in the west country during the war (he was in the RAF) and I wondered if I would be able to find some info on him. He has passed away now so I cant get any info from him first hand.
Thanks again for another great read.

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2004, 12:17:36 pm »
Great read Wooly. I'm still chucklin'
I would be about the same age as your Dad and I remember a lot of those names from the time.
I am interested in where you got your info.
My Dad guested for several clubs in the west country during the war (he was in the RAF) and I wondered if I would be able to find some info on him. He has passed away now so I cant get any info from him first hand.
Thanks again for another great read.

I get most of my info from me Dad who is 70 now.
He often generates ideas or questions that I scour the web or books to rekindle the memories he has of his youth.
I wouldn't know where to start with other teams, but there are one or two books about Liverpool's war time games.
The Great Derby matches is the one I've used for this piece.
It was a present given to me on my birthday, by a very good friend.
Good luck with your search.
Try the obvious one, put your fathers name in a search engine and see how many hits you get.
If it's too many, also add the word Football or the clubs name in you know it.
Best of luck mate

Karl

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2004, 12:19:47 pm »
;D ;D

Great read, as always Wooly!

BTW, I have a friend out here (Seattle) who's father was in the navy during WWII.  He has fond memories of visiting Liverpool during the war - said he loved the city.

Seawa
ask him was it the City or the Birds down Limey he loved the most  ;)
Who knows, you might find a long lost relative, still here.

Offline Ian-TN

• The slightly shop spoiled Jon Hall
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2004, 02:40:04 am »
Superb read as always.
To an interpreter, regarding excited Italian journalists:
'Just tell them I completely disagree with everything they say.'

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2004, 10:13:40 am »
Cheers Ian
6 months to find it, I hope it was worth the search.
How did you find it ?

Offline Ian-TN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2004, 11:46:42 pm »
Did a search for something and it came up with one of ya Shankly posts, so I searched to get the other parts of it and this article came up in the search.

Well worth the search.

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2004, 12:45:05 pm »
Alf Hobson

Alf Hobson, sadly passed away earlier this year and was at that point the oldest surviving Liverpool player. A work colleague of mine is related to Alf and asked if I could find out some information about him and his playing days.  Fortunately I managed to collect the following information together with some pictures and got them bound into a presentation folder.  Copies were sent up to Alf and his family and I was amazed to receive a telephone call from Susan (one of his daughters) saying that he was “absolutley delighed” to receive the surprise package.

He was born in County Durham in 1913 and joined the Reds from Shildon Colliery in April 1936.  He made his debut on the opening day of the 1936/37 season in a 2-1 home win over Stoke City. He played 25 league games that season and one FA Cup but lost his place to the great South African keeper Arthur Riley.

He made just one further appearance the following season before joining Chester in October 1938.

He returned to Anfield as a guest player during the war, and also turned out for Southport and Burnley. When League football resumed in 1946 he signed for non-league South Liverpool.

Here's a team photo from the 36-37 season with Alf stood next to Matt Busby:

and here's the season record (courtesy of liverweb):

League Division 1
29 Aug Stoke City Home W 2-1 Hanson, Nieuwenhuys 30,000
2 Sep Portsmouth Away L 2-6 Nieuwenhuys, Hanson 18,000
5 Sep Charlton Athletic Away D 1-1 Hanson 31,000
9 Sep Portsmouth Home D 0-0  25,000
12 Sep Grimsby Town Home W 7-1 Nieuwenhuys, Howe 2, Wright 2, Balmer, Busby 16,000
16 Sep Chelsea Away L 0-2  25,000
19 Sep Everton Away L 0-2  57,587
26 Sep Leeds United Away L 0-2  16,000
3 Oct Birmingham City Home W 2-0 Wright, Taylor 25,000
10 Oct Middlesborough Away D 3-3 Howe, Nieuwenhuys, Taylor 28,000
17 Oct Bolton Wanderers Home D 0-0  25,000
24 Oct Brentford Away L 2-5 Balmer, Nieuwenhuys 30,000
31 Oct Arsenal Home W 2-1 Balmer, Howe 45,000
7 Nov Preston North End Away L 1-3 Nieuwenhuys 15,000
14 Nov Sheffield Wednesday Home D 2-2 Howe 2 20,000
21 Nov Manchester United Away W 5-2 Hanson, Eastham, Howe 3 25,000
28 Nov Derby County Home D 3-3 OG, Nieuwenhuys, Howe 25,000
5 Dec Wolves Away L 0-2  17,000
12 Dec Sunderland Home W 4-0 Hanson 2, Nieuwenhuys, Balmer 30,000
19 Dec Huddersfield Town Away L 0-4  14,000
25 Dec West Brom Away L 1-3 Howe 30,000
26 Dec Stoke City Away D 1-1 Wright 16,000
29 Dec West Brom Home L 1-2 Hanson 35,000
2 Jan Charlton Athletic Home L 1-2 Howe 28,000
9 Jan Grimsby Town Away L 1-2 Nieuwenhuys 12,000
23 Jan Everton Home W 3-2 Howe, Taylor, Balmer 37,632
30 Jan Leeds United Home W 3-0 Nieuwenhuys 2, Hanson 12,000
6 Feb Birmingham City Away L 0-5  20,000
13 Feb Middlesborough Home L 0-2  20,000
24 Feb Bolton Wanderers Away W 1-0 OG 18,000
27 Feb Brentford Home D 2-2 Hanson, Balmer 18,000
10 Mar Arsenal Away L 0-1  21,000
13 Mar Preston North End Home D 1-1 Hanson(pen) 10,000
20 Mar Sheffield Wednesday Away W 2-1 Balmer, Hanson 18,000
26 Mar Manchester City Home L 0-5  32,000
27 Mar Manchester United Home W 2-0 Hanson, Howe 28,000
29 Mar Manchester City Away L 1-5 Howe 25,000
3 Apr Derby County Away L 1-4 Eastham 13,430
10 Apr Wolves Home W 1-0 Nieuwenhuys 30,000
17 Apr Sunderland Away L 2-4 Nieuwenhuys, Hanson 15,000
24 Apr Huddersfield Town Home D 1-1 Howe 10,000
1 May Chelsea Home D 1-1 Balmer 12,000

League Position

Home              Away
                  P W D L  F  A    W D  L  F  A  Pts Position
Liverpool 42 9 8 4 38 26  3  3 15 24 58 33 18th

Top Scorer - Fred Howe 16

Aggregate Home Attendance - 513,632
Average Home Attendance - 24,459

FA Cup
16 Jan R3 Norwich City Away L 0-3  26,800

Friendlies and Testimonials

F 11 Nov Gradjanski Home W 4-0 Howe 2, Balmer 2 7,400
F 4 May Bristol Rovers Away W 2-1 Nieuwenhuys 2 1,330

Alfred was Liverpool's goalkeeper at the start of the 1936-37 season and played in the first 25 games of that campaign before being replaced by Arthur Riley, who was himself replaced by Dirk Kemp for the final 7 matches of the season. Liverpool only just avoided relegation and the veteran Riley was brought back after the club's worst run of the season, six first division matches during December & January in which only a single point was won and Hobson had to pick the ball out of his net 14 times. South-Africans Riley & Kemp shared the goalkeeping duties the next season, with Hobson playing just once, at Charlton in the middle of January 1938. That was Alfred's final League appearance for the club but amazingly he did play again over eight years later, although the Second World War took place during the interim period. Alfred was between the posts for an F.A. cup 4th round tie at Burnden Park, Bolton but sadly it was not a happy experience for him or his colleagues as Liverpool were thrashed 5-0. F.A. cup matches were played over two legs in the first season after the war and by the time Bolton visited Anfield just four days later, Fred Nickson was wearing the goalkeeper's jersey.

The Football League side included Ken Willingham, Huddersfield Town's perpetual motion wing-half, big
Bob Pryde, of Blackburn Rovers, at centre-half; Tommy Lawton as leader of the attack and the former
Liverpool favourite, Alf Hanson, who had gone to Chelsea before I arrived at Anfield, at outside-left.

In the British eleven were Billy Cook and wee Alec Stevenson (Everton), Sam Jones (Blackpool), Don
Dearson (Birmingham), Stan Cullis (Wolves), and George Mutch (Preston), as well as Liverpool's
Matt Busby, Berry Nieuwenhuys, and Willie Fagan. Liverpool also supplied both goalkeepers, Alf Hobson
deputizing in the League team for Frank Swift, who was unable to get leave, with George Poland at the other end.

My First game - By Malcolm McCormick, Hoylake, Wirral

My father took me to my first Liverpool match in 1944 - Liverpool against Manchester City in a Northern Cup tie (the regional subsititute for the FA Cup which was suspended during the war).

I was 11-years-old and football mad. We entered through the Kop turnstiles, just a couple of minutes after the kick-off, and worked our way round through the Kemlyn Road terracing to the Anfield Road end.  We got "specs" on the pitch wall, halfway between the goal and the Kemlyn Road corner post.

It was a ding-dong game with neither side able to dominate.  At half-time there was a migration of several hundred Liverpudlians from the Anfield Road end to the Kop, which Liverpool would be attacking in the second half.

I discovered later that this was customary for certain supporters who wished
to stand behind the goal their side was attacking and it was made possible because both ends were joined by the Kemlyn Road terracing.

The match was still a draw at full-time and went to extra-time. I cannot remember whether they played two periods of extra-time, followed by a third period in which the golden goal rule operated, or whether they played
ordinary extra-time with the golden goal rule operating.

In any event, the result went to Manchester City. The Liverpool goalkeeper, Alf Hobson, having been flattened and lying prone near the Kop goal penalty spot, was left helpless as City slammed the ball into the empty net.

Not withstanding this setback, I have been an avid supporter ever since. I also recall in 1945 as the end of the European war approached, it was decided that there would be a celebratory Bank Holiday on VE day.

The clubs arranged that they would play friendly on the day. The match arranged by Liverpool was a visit from Preston North End. I think I am right in saying that this was the last game that Matt Busby played for Liverpool and, having turned down the offer of the job as assistant to the Liverpool manager George Kay, he left the club and took up the manager's job at Manchester United. Furthermore I think that Bill Shankly turned out at half back for Preston, but that Bob Paisley did not play for Liverpool in that game.

Liverpool to Chester 1938 for £700.00 Chester back to LIverpool at end of war played until end of 44/45 season

They Played for Chester & Liverpool
A great deal was expected of goalkeeper Alf Hobson when he joined Chester City from Liverpool for £700 in October 1938. Alf made 26 appearances

Alf Hobson

19 September 1936

Football League Division One

Everton 2
Dean
Stevenson

Liverpool 0

Attendance 55,835

Everton
Sagar
Jackson
Cook
Gee
Mercer
Gillick
Cunliffe
Dean
Stevenson
Coulter

Liverpool
Hobson
Dabbs
Blenkinson
Busby
Bradshaw
McDougall
Nieuwenhuys
P Taylor
Howe
Wright
Hanson

16 January 1937

FA Cup third Round

Norwich City 3
Vinall 2
Scott

Liverpool 0

Norwich City
Hall
Halliday
Bowen
Burke
Scott
Proctor
O’Reilly
Manders
Vinall
Burley
Madden

Liverpool
Hobson
Cooper
Harley
Busby
Savage
McDougall
Nieuwenhuys
Eastham
Howe
Balmer
Hanson

Norwich set out to conquer a foe they last beat 26 years ago at Anfield. The second division side achieved their ambition with ease. Vinall scored against Liverpool in less than one minute. Five minutes later Vinall scored again and the game was all but over. On this occasion Vinall beat three men without assistance and on the right flank he drove in a high ball which appeared to be floating high over the left-hand corner of the goal. It curled into the far corner of the net, giving Hobson no chance of saving. Some criticised Hobson for the goal, but his out-stretched right-hand was never going top stop such a shot.

The contrast between the two sides was remarkable, Norwich, without undue flurry, and with great endeavour, went into their work with the knowledge that Liverpool could be stampeded if they applied constant pressure by means of the instant pass, and the raid made up of practical means. Not for them the holding of the ball, not for them the personal outrageous long run; not for them a delay of any sort.  They got into the business side of the game instantly, they were determined to win the game and they therefore adopted a professional approach which enabled them to do just that.  Liverpool continued to play in their colourful manner; their flicks and taps were of the daintiest character; when the ball could be passed onward to make ground the ball was held a split second too long: the shooting weak; there was a lack of spirit, but the losers could learn a great deal from this defeat if they were prepared to learn. Earlier in the season, the same players had been heralded as internationals, and the youngest and best forward line the club had ever had.  It was proven to be an unfounded exaggeration. On dry ground the forward line would still look good. In this game, on a slightly heavy turf, Eastham and the improved Nieuwenhuys did some really good work for long spells, but the other forwards were inept. Matt Busby was the one man who did something to suggest first division standards. His urging of the right wing pair was of fine character, a model of priceless half-back arts – the use of the ball, the control and collection of the ball; the upward tendency to force a poor line of attackers to have some belief in themselves. It was of little use; the team was poor, and even captain Cooper had a bad game.

Hobson blundered with a third goal, a simple headed goal from Scott, the most rugged man on the field, landing at the goalkeeper’s feet and even a fingered attempt to pick up the ball failed, and Hobson saw the ball pass on with snail-like pace over the line.

Although the goalkeeper was definitely at fault, the error did not cost Liverpool the game. A general inability to score had done that. Nieuwenhuy’s, Eastham and Busby kept finding holes in the Norwich defence, but Bowen, the former Villa back, was not a young man but he has his manager’s aptitude for standing firm. As long as he stood firm Norwich held up. In three minutes there was sufficient work on the right flank to show the ease with which Bowen could be beaten, and also his half-back, Burke, a boy who used to play for Liverpool “A” team. Norwich were worthy of their victory.     

Taken from Billy Liddell's 'My Soccer Story' page 35 -

The Government having expressed the view that football was doing a service to the country in maintaining morale, it was natural that representative matches should be arranged. One of those was at Liverpool on April 19, 1941, when a Football League eleven played a British eleven. It was the best chance I had had so far of seeing so many star players in action, and I did not mean to miss it.

The Football League side included Ken Willingham, Huddersfield Town's perpetual motion wing-half, big Bob Pryde, of Blackburn Rovers, at centre-half; Tommy Lawton as leader of the attack and the former Liverpool favourite, Alf Hanson, who had gone to Chelsea before I arrived at  Anfield, at outside-left.

In the British eleven were Billy Cook and wee Alec Stevenson (Everton), Sam Jones (Blackpool), Don Dearson (Birmingham), Stan Cullis (Wolves), and George Mutch (Preston), as well as Liverpool's Matt Busby, Berry Nieuwenhuys, and Willie Fagan. Liverpool also supplied both goalkeepers, Alf Hobson deputizing in the League team for Frank Swift, who was unable to get leave, with George Poland at the other end.

War Games

31 May 1941

Liverpool 2
Liddell
Done

Everton 2
Mercer
Stevenson

Attendance 6,000

Liverpool
Hobson
Lambert
Seddon
Kaye
Cook
Spicer
Liddell
Paisley
Fagan
Done
Hanson

Everton
Lovett
Cook
Greenhaygh
Bentham
TG Jones
Watson
Boyes
Mercer
Catterick
Stevenson
Lyon

2 June 1941

Everton 3
Boyes 2
Jackson

Liverpool 1
Jones O.G.

Attendance 4,000

Liverpool
Hobson
Seddon
Lambert
Kaye
Cook
Spicer
Liddell
Farrow
Done
Polk
Hanson

Everton
Lovett
Cook
Greenhaygh
Bentham
TG Jones
Hill
Boyes
Simmons
Jackson
Owen
Lyon

25 October 1941

Liverpool 3
Liddell 2
Bush

Everton 2
Cook Lyon

Attendance 12,989

Liverpool
Hobson
Taylor
Lambert
Whitaker
Bush
Kaye
Nieuwenhuys
Ainsley
Done
Polk
Liddell

Everton
Burnett
Cook
Greenhalgh
Bentham
H Jones
Keen
Anderson
Owen
Lawton
Stevenson
Lyon

1 November 1941

Everton 5
Bentham 3
H Jones
Lyon

Liverpool 3
Done 2
Liddell

Attendance 20,000

Liverpool
Hobson
Lambert
Ramsden
Carney
Whitaker
Kaye
Nieuwenhuys
Fagan
Done
Dorsett
Liddell

Everton
Burnett
Cook
Greenhalgh
Mercer
TG Jones
Watson
Owen
Bentham
H Jones
Stevenson
Lyon

11 April 1941

Liverpool 0

Everton 2
Anderson
TG Jones

Attendance 33,445

Liverpool
Hobson
Gutteridge
Lambert
Taylor
Bush
Kaye
Nieuwenhuys
Carney
Done
Haycock
Liddell

Everton
Burnett
Cook
Jackson
Bentham
Keen
Curwen
Owen
Mercer
TG Jones
Stevenson
Anderson

18 April 1942

Everton 0

Liverpool 1
Balmer

Attendance 33,780

Everton
Burnett
Cook
Jackson
Bentham
Keen
Anderson
Owen
TG Jones
Stevenson
Caskie

Liverpool
Hobson
Gutteridge
Owen
Kaye
Bush
Haycock
Nieuwenhuys
Balmer
Done
Jones
Taylor

30 May 1942

Liverpool 4
Done 2
Carney
Wharton

Everton 1
Lawton

Attendance 13,761

Liverpool
Hobson
Gutteridge
Owen
Shankly
Woodruff
Kaye
Liddell
McLaren
Done
Carney
Wharton

Everton
Burnett
Cook
JE Jones
Bentham
H Jones
Keen
Owen
Mutch
Lawton
Stevenson
Watson

12 September 1942

Liverpool 1
Mills

Everton 0
Attendance 17.131

Liverpool
Hobson
Gutteridge
Lambert
Kaye
Bush
Spicer
Liddell
Dorsett
Mills
Done
Taylor

Everton
Burnett
Cook
JE Jones
Bentham
TG Jones
Watson
Jackson
Mutch
H Jones
Grant
Anderson

19 September 1942

Everton 4
H Jones 2
Jackson
Mutch

Liverpool 4
Done
Dorsett 2
Liddell

Attendance 17,000

Everton
Burnett
Cook
JE Jones
Bentham
TG Jones
Watson
Jackson
Mutch
H Jones
Stevenson
Anderson

Liverpool
Hobson
Westby
Gutteridge
Kaye
Keen
Pilling
Liddell
Dorsett
Mills
Done
Hulligan

9 January 1943

Everton 1
Mutch

Liverpool 3
Hulligan 2
Shepherd

Attendance 18.206

Everton
Burnett
Cook
Greenhalgh
Bentham
Humphreys
Mercer
Jackson
Mutch
H Jones
Stevenson
Fowler

Liverpool
Hobson
Gutteridge
Lambert
Kaye
Westby
Pilling
Shepherd
Fagan
Done
Haycock
Hulligan

16 January 1943

Liverpool 2
Balmer
Done

Everton 1
Lawton

Attendance 20,400

Liverpool
Hobson
Bush
Gutteridge
Kaye
Charlesworth
Pilling
Hall
Eastham
Balmer
Done
Hulligan

Everton
Burnett
Cook
Greenhalgh
Mercer
Humphreys
Curwen
Bentham
Mutch
Lawton
Stevenson
Jackson

26 April 1943

Liverpool 4
Fagan
Balmer
Done
Nieuwenhuys

Everton 1
McIntosh

Attendance 17,000

Liverpool
Hobson
Pope
Westby
Kaye
Low
Pilling
Nieuwenhuys
Balmer
Done
Fagan
Hulligan

Everton
Burnett
Jackson
Greenhalgh
Bentham
Humphreys
Watson
Linaker
Stevenson
McIntosh
Beattie
JE Jones

9 October 1943

Everton 4
Lawton
McIntosh
Stevenson
Opposition OG

Liverpool 6
Done 4
Harley
Welsh

Attendance 28,835

Everton
Burnett
JE Jones
Greenhalgh
Bentham
TG Jones
Scott
Grant
Wainwright
Lawton
Stevenson
McIntosh

Liverpool
Hobson
Westby
Gulliver
Kaye
Hughes
Pilling
Harley
Balmer
Done
Welsh
Hanson

16 October 1943

Liverpool 5
Harley
Done
Bamber 2
Nieuwenhuys

Everton 2
McIntosh
Stevenson

Attendance 25,000

Liverpool
Hobson
Westby
Gulliver
Kaye
Hughes
Pilling
Harley
Nieuwenhuys
Done
Hanson

Everton
Burnett
JE Jones
Greenhalgh
Bentham
TG Jones
Hallard
Roberts
Caskie
Murphy
Stevenson
McIntosh

22 January 1944

Liverpool 1
Fagan

Everton 4
Wainwright 2
Lawton
Wyles

Attendance 34,221

Liverpool
Hobson
Westby
Gulliver
Niewenhuys
Hughes
Pilling
Balmer
Beattie
Fagan
Done
Liddell

Everton
Burnett
Jackson
JE Jones
Grant
TG Jones
Watson
Wyles
Wainwright
Lawton
Tatters
McIntosh

29 January 1944

Everton 2
Lawton
Wyles

Liverpool 3
Niewenhuys
Balmer
Welsh (pen)

Attendance 45,820

Everton
Burnett
Jackson
JE Jones
Grant
TG Jones
Mercer
Wyles
Wainwright
Lawton
Stevenson
McIntosh

Liverpool
Hobson
Westby
Gulliver
Busby
Hughes
Pilling
Niewenhuys
Balmer
Welsh
Done
Liddell

10 April 1944

Everton 3
Grant
T G Jones
McIntosh

Liverpool 0

Attendance 40,000

Liverpool
Hobson
Jones
Gulliver
Polk
Hughes
Pilling
Campbell
Beattie
Done
Welsh
Hulligan

15 April 1944

Liverpool 3
Hulligan 2
Done

Everton 0

Attendance 25,062

Liverpool
Hobson
Westby
Gulliver
Polk
Hughes
Pilling
Campbell
Nieuwenhuys
Done
Beattie
Hulligan

Everton
Burnett
JE Jones
Greenhalgh
Grant
TG Jones
Watson
Jackson
Bentham
Lawton
Wainwright
McIntosh

22 April 1944

Liverpool 4
Done 3 (1 pen)
Polk

Everton 2
TG Jones
Wyles

Attendance 24,404

Liverpool
Hobson
Westby
Gulliver
Whiteside
Hughes
Pilling
Campbell
Polk
Done
Beattie
Dougal

Everton
Burnett
JE Jones
Greenhalgh
Grant
TG Jones
Watson
Rogers
Astbury
Wyles
Bentham
McIntosh

21 October 1944

Everton 0

Liverpool 2
Smith 2

Attendance 33,199

Everton
Burnett
Jackson
Greenhalgh
Grant
Lindley
Watson
Rawlings
Wainwright
Wyles
Stevenson
Peters

Liverpool
Hobson
Jackson
Gulliver
Bushby
Hughes
Pilling
Nieuwenhuys
Taylor
Smith
Balmer
Cumner

28 October 1944

Liverpool 0

Everton 0

Attendance 26,008

Liverpool
Hobson
Harley
Gulliver
McInnes
Hughes
Pilling
Nieuwenhuys
Taylor
Smith
Welsh
Liddell

Everton
Burnett
Jackson
Greenhalgh
Grant
Lindley
Watson
Rawlings
Wainwright
Catterick
Stevenson
TG Jones

26 December 1944

Everton 2
Stevenson
Wainwright

Liverpool 2
Liddell 2

Attendance 35,226

Everton
Burnett
Jackson
Greenhalgh
Grant
Lindley
Watson
Humphreys
Wainwright
TG Jones
Stevenson
McIntosh

Liverpool
Hobson
Seddon
Gulliver
Kaye
Hughes
Spicer
Liddell
Nieuwenhuys
Rawcliffe
Taylor
Patterson

3 February 1945

Everton 4
Bentham
McIntosh
Rawlings
Wyles

Liverpool 1
Taylor

Attendance 26,780

Liverpool
Hobson
Harley
Gulliver
Kaye
Hughes
Pilling
Campbell
Nieuwenhuys
Welsh
Taylor
Cumner

Everton
Burnett
Jackson
Greenhalgh
Grant
Lindley
Watson
Boyes
Bentham
Lawton
Stevenson
McIntosh

24 March 1945

Liverpool 1
Liddell

Everton 0

Attendance 39,640

Liverpool
Hobson
Harley
Gulliver
Kaye
Hughes
Nieuwenhuys
Taylor
Liddell
Welsh
Cumner

Everton
Burnett
Jackson
Greenhalgh
Grant
Morris
Watson
Catterick
Bentham
Wyles
Stevenson
Boyes

31 March 1945

Everton 0

Liverpool 1
Liddell

Attendance 51,512

Everton
Burnett
Jackson
Greenhalgh
Grant
Mercer
Watson
Wainwright
Gillick
Lawton
Stevenson
McIntosh

Liverpool
Hobson
Westby
Gulliver
Busby
Hughes
Kaye
Campbell
Nieuwenhuys
Liddell
Welsh
Cumner

2 April 1945

Liverpool 1
Shanon

Everton 3
Grant
Jackson
Wyles

Attendance 22,815

Liverpool
Hobson
Jones
Gulliver
Hughes
Pilling
Campbell
Taylor
Shannon
Welsh
Kinghorn

Everton
Burnett
Jackson
Greenhalgh
Grant
Mercer
Watson
Wainwright
Gillick
Wyles
Stevenson
McIntosh

12 September 1945

Liverpool 2
Liddell
Shannon

Everton 1
Wyles

Attendance 25,446

Liverpool
Hobson
Westby
Gulliver
Kaye
Easdale
Pilling
Taylor
Balmer
Shannon
Welsh
Liddell

Everton
Burnett
Jackson
Greenhalgh
Bentham
Bell
Watson
Bond
Wainwright
Wyles
Boyes
Makin

26 January 1946 - FA Cup - Fouth round first leg.

Bolton 5
Lofthouse 2
Westwood 3

Liverpool 0

Attendance 39,692

Bolton Wanderers
Hanson
Threfall
Hubbick
Hurst
Hamlett
Murphy
Geldard
Howe
Lofthouse
Westwood
Woodward

Liverpool
Hobson
Harley
Lambert
Kaye
Hughes
Paisley
Liddell
Balmer
Fagan
Nieuwenhuys
Priday

In spite of the thaw and heavy rain, the ground looked in reasonable condition, though there were worn patches in several places. Liverpool had Hobson in goal, and Balmer was the ultimate choice as partner to Liddell at inside-right. Liverpool had a good following in the crowd, for when Fagan led his men out Liverpool received a great cheer. The visitors began in confident mood and Bolton were hard-pressed. Balmer, Fagan and Liddell combined well up to the edge of the area, but the final pass was always absent. Nieuwenhuys then sent Balmer on his way, and Fagan added his contribution with a back-heel pass which left Balmer unmarked sixteen yards from goal. His shot was weak, and passed wide of the post. Kaye then had a long-range effort which passed wide of the post.

Bolton then attacked for the first time in the game, and Geldard produced a pinpoint centre which Lofthouse got his head to, but Hobson saved comfortably.  Liverpool enjoyed the greater share of possession and the Bolton defence was over-worked to deny the wiles of Fagan and the swift thrusts of Liddell. Fagan took a free-kick just on the edge of the area, and his powerful shot was brilliantly saved by Hanson just below the angle of the upright and crossbar.  From a Liverpool corner, Hanson was forced to save from Fagan’s header. Balmer was robbed by Hamlett, who set Bolton on the attack, but Hughes cleared the danger in great style. At the other end, Balmer was sent on his way with an inimitable pass from Fagan, but he elected to shoot instead of passing to Priday, in an unmarked position, and Balmer sliced his shot.

Bolton then produced a spell of attacking football and took the lead through Lofthouse. The ball had come up from a Bolton clearance after Balmer’s miss, and there did not appear to be any danger until Howe cleverly headed the ball over the head of Hughes, who tried desperately to retrieve the situation, but Lofthouse was too quick, and the Bolton centre dashed in to head down towards the foot of the post. Hobson managed to get to it, but could not grasp it properly and it trickled over the line with 20 minutes gone.

From the kick-off Hanson stopped a shot from Fagan on the line, and Hamlett kicked away to safety before a Liverpool player could tap the ball home. Fagan and Liddell spearheaded the Liverpool attack, but ineffectiveness in front of goal proved their downfall.

Hamlett was injured following a tackle on Priday, with whom the referee had a word. With 40 minutes gone, Lofthouse increased the score for Bolton. Woodward began the move on the left and passed to Westwood, and after rounding Harley, the inside man offered Lofthouse an easy opening, from which the Bolton forward made no mistake. Moments later Geldard shout outside as he was challenged by Balmer. With 43 minutes gone, Westwood picked up a pass from Lofthouse and beat Hobson with a fine effort. Liverpool’s defence began to show signs of nerves, while the attack lost all its former fire and understanding.

Liverpool began the second half in command, and they stretched the Bolton defence for several moments. Hamlett was laid out when he was struck by a poweful shot from Nieuwenhuys. Hamlett was forced to leave the pitch for treatement, and he looked groggy when he resumed.  A cross from Woodward was headed down by Geldard to the feet of Lofthouse, and a well-timed tackle by Hughes denied the Bolton centre.  Bolton progressed with long passes, the odeal method for the heavy ground, and Liddell and Fagan attempted to inject some virility into the Liverpool forward line.

With 55 minutes gone, Lofthouse let the ball run between his legs from a Geldard pass to Westwood, and the Bolton inside-left scored. After 60 minutes, Westwood beat hughes to connect with a Geldard cross.

Liverpool looked tired and dejected and Bolton eased off the pressure. Balmer was put through by Fagan, and when Hanson came out Balmer ran around him and had an open goal to aim at, but he took a fraction too long to net the ball, and Hanson recovered to take the ball off the forward’s toes.  Lofthouse shot over the bar as he was challenged by Hughes.

The crowd laughed when Woodward, who had sent a message for tape to tie up his shorts, made a run along the wing, holding them up with one hand.  Bolton re-arranged their attack near the end, following an injury to Hurst.

30 January 1946 - FA Cup - Fouth round second leg.

Liverpool 2
Balmer
Nieuwenhuys

Bolton 0

Attendance 35,247

Alf Hobson did not play in the second leg as Liverpool went out 5.2 on aggregate.

Rest in Peace Alf – Lest we forget.

A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2004, 02:21:19 pm »
Absolutely magnificent posts.  When I consider how much time, effort, hard work, sheer devotion and pure love has gone into producting these it absolutely floors me.  Thanks is such a poor word after all you have both done but, from my heart, to both of you, thanks.
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline mr_mad_master

• Posts Utter Shite
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mwa
« Reply #15 on: October 3, 2004, 09:10:02 am »
Agree maggie took me 2 days to go through that but it was well worth it your hard work doesnt go un noticed thanks alot fellas :wave
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS, THE CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE 77 78 81 84 05

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 5, 2004, 10:03:45 am »
One day Motty and I will write something REALLY worth reading.
Our memories are intertwined over many decades.
Glad you enjoyed the piece, always nice to receive peoples comments.

Karl

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 5, 2004, 10:19:32 am »
I'm really glad you posted.  I'd lost track of this piece and I'll print it off now and keep it safe.  Please make your next classic very, very soon.   :wave

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 7, 2004, 07:46:58 am »

Alf Hobson.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 7, 2004, 09:08:49 am »
Excellent Robbie.  :wave  Where did you get that from?

Offline Mottman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 7, 2004, 09:16:05 am »
From the Inter web [I think] unfortunately there are only a few pictures of him available.

Offline Olly

• Sees greatness from his sofa
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #21 on: October 7, 2004, 09:25:03 am »
Brilliant stuff lads again.

Reading about the history club fills me with pride. I'd love to have seen the crowd swap ends at half time - the closest I've got to that is at Euro 2000 in Arnhem's ground, when Slovakia played Spain. At half time a load of Slovak's ran round the concourse and popped up at the other end of the ground. We had to follow!

I've got a couple of questions:

1. Is Billy Liddell's book still in print?

2. Where do you guys get all your info from? Is it all from the web? I'm going to try and write up a piece on someone soon hopefully and need some hints.
If you keep one eye on the past, you are blind in one eye. Yet if you forget the past, you are blind in both.

Offline Mottman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 7, 2004, 10:08:26 am »
Olly,

What I did for this was go into various “search engines” Google, Ask Jeeves etc and typed in Alf Hobson, different search engines give you different results?

I’d also suggest you look through all the Liverpool sites [don’t forget to do a search on here] Liverweb is also a cracking site for Liverpool history – stats etc. If a player played for another team{s} check that Club’s web sites out as well.

Don’t forget to look through any Liverpool books as well, a lot of the playing details can be found in them.

If you still can’t find what you are looking for, put up a thread on here asking for help / details.

;)

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 7, 2004, 12:37:53 pm »
1 You can get Billy's "My Soccer Story" on ebay for between 4-10 quid

2 I got the idea to write this after getting a book from Motty on my birthday called "The Great Derby Matches"
Books are like line drawings that you have to colour in
Other stories have been written based on echo reports, Picton library has a fische archive going back to the very beginnings of the club.
Others are written strainght from memory.
Although these can be some of the most enjoyable, many errors are made due to selective memory.

Hope that helps

Karl

Offline Olly

• Sees greatness from his sofa
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #24 on: October 7, 2004, 01:05:10 pm »
Thanks guys. Much appreciated.
If you keep one eye on the past, you are blind in one eye. Yet if you forget the past, you are blind in both.

Offline Ian-TN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 8, 2004, 12:27:36 am »
Superb stuff.

Been reading it all on-and-off over the past few days. Fantastic stuff, real pleasure to read.

Offline Ian-TN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 8, 2004, 12:35:18 am »
1. Is Billy Liddell's book still in print?

Billy Liddell - The Legend Who Carried the Kop

9th up from the bottom, not sure if it's the one yer mean though.

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 8, 2004, 09:10:55 am »
I found the above book suggested by Ian a disappointment.
It was basically a re-write of Billy's Original.
Personally I would suggest you buy Billy's version.
You should get it for a fiver if you keep yer eye on ebay.
I'd lend yer mine, but I treasure it too much

Offline WillieBob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2006, 03:02:05 pm »
Wooltonian in the article you write "New names for 1943; Charlesworth," .

Do you have a first name for this Charlesworth by any chance?

It's just that the father in law is a Charlesworth and it would be intersting to see if he recognized the name.

Cheers.
"The Member States shall facilitate the achievement of the Union's tasks and refrain from any measure which could jeopardise the attainment of the Union's objectives."

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2006, 10:51:39 am »
Wooltonian in the article you write "New names for 1943; Charlesworth," .

Do you have a first name for this Charlesworth by any chance?

It's just that the father in law is a Charlesworth and it would be intersting to see if he recognized the name.

Cheers.

sorry mate info on players during the war years very scant.
Some players only played 1 game when they were on leave in Liverpool.
Charlesworth played in the Anfield match 16-1-43 were we beat the blues 2-1 with goals from Balmer & Done
Full team
Hobson (not Choice) Bush (not George) Gutteridge (not Reg) Kaye (not Danny) Charlesworth Pilling (not Arthur) Hall (not Stuart) Eastham Balmer Done & Hulligan (not hooligan)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 09:38:01 am by WOOLTONIAN »

Offline WillieBob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2006, 12:43:31 pm »
Ok, thanks for the reply.
"The Member States shall facilitate the achievement of the Union's tasks and refrain from any measure which could jeopardise the attainment of the Union's objectives."

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2006, 01:29:41 pm »
the Charlesworth is Stan Charlesworth, a centre-half from Grimsby Town who also played for Barnsley and Gainsborough Trinity after the war.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline WillieBob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2006, 03:08:42 pm »
the Charlesworth is Stan Charlesworth, a centre-half from Grimsby Town who also played for Barnsley and Gainsborough Trinity after the war.

Excellent, thanks for that Rushian.

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red & White Kop
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2006, 12:13:22 am »
Quality!
 :thumbup
The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.

Socrates

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #34 on: August 2, 2006, 11:51:08 am »
Bush....the player you mentionin the Liverpool team in the "War Derbies" was Tom Bush. He was an amateur for the whole of his career,he also played for the  England amateurs,  a great bloke, I believe his ashes were buried at Melwood just off the main pitch by the halfway line.

Fagan....was that the Joe or Willie....one of them played for Man City
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2012, 08:58:28 am »
Two pics of Billy from his RAF days

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2012, 07:10:16 am »
You are so precious here Wooltonian  :)
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline stjohn65

• Kopite
  • An honest man, though e'r so poor, is King o men
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2012, 05:41:22 pm »
That insignia Billy's wearing sugests he was a navigator in the war. Does anyone know how many missions he flew? Or indeed anything about his war experience?
"The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone sharing the rewards. It's the way I see football, the way I see life." Bill Shankly