Author Topic: Trent Alexander-Arnold  (Read 1388408 times)

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold
« Reply #240 on: January 16, 2017, 09:08:15 am »
1. We are probably back in Europe next season and TAA should get plenty of games the next couple of years. (Agree)
2. Clyne is 26 by April. So after a couple of seasons he will be in his late 20s and that might cause a periof of a couple of seasons where TAA and Clyne compete for the role and their differing attributes might make them suited to different games. (Agree)
3. TAA is versatile and may be used as depth in other positions too. (Maybe)
4. The world's best teams have these dilemmas. (They also pay both sets of players through their nose and keep them happy.. We don't do that and rightly so)
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #241 on: January 16, 2017, 09:24:18 am »
We’re in a good position with Trent. He’s good enough and young enough that we don’t really need to send him out on loan, and can give him plenty of experience in cup games to develop his game.

The risk is that, as the first choice RB, a serious injury to Clyne would put a lot of pressure on him to deliver too much too early. As we’ve seen time and again, single-match excellence at the top level is sometimes difficult to sustain for extended periods for very young players.

I’m happy to take that risk though.

Me too, but if we had a competent left back instead of Moreno, it is less of a risk. In a tough game like this, we could switch Milner to right back instead and there would still be plenty of chances for Arnold to play games. But when decide to use him rather than when we must, like yesterday (he did really well for the most part though, but he's still very young and need time and experience). I hope we sort it out in the summer, among Milner, Arnold, Clyne and a new good left back, we'd have a good mix of fullbacks.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #242 on: January 16, 2017, 09:53:25 am »
He didn't get off to the best start but think he recovered well and did OK. I don't think he was one of our standout performers but kept his head and stood United players up really well. Think he was given good protection from the likes of Lallana and Henderson at times too, which helped take him through the game.

Didn't see very much of him as an attacking threat but I wonder if that was curbed given the situation - no-one playing ahead of him and being targeted by United in the first half.

Happy to see him make more apperances in the first team. This was as tough as it will get for him, making a debut away at Old Trafford. Seen enough of him previously to suggest he will grow and get better, regardless of this game.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: January 16, 2017, 10:47:34 am »
I don't think he played very well really.

However he did get better and he kept going.

Martial is a stiff first player to come up against, as Clyne would say some himself last season.

I still think TAA has a very bright future, although I'm not convinced his long term future is at right back.

He'll benefit from the experience, he's going to be a very good player IMO, but I think he struggled.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #244 on: January 16, 2017, 10:57:16 am »
I don't think he played very well really.

However he did get better and he kept going.

Martial is a stiff first player to come up against, as Clyne would say some himself last season.

I still think TAA has a very bright future, although I'm not convinced his long term future is at right back.

He'll benefit from the experience, he's going to be a very good player IMO, but I think he struggled.
The problem with a diamond formation is that it leaves your full-backs exposed as they have no natural cover, they're often 2 on 1. We saw that when we nearly won the league under Rodgers using that formation, our full backs were constantly exposed and we conceded a lot of goals from crosses down the flanks.

It was tough for TAA to come into the side, away to United, up against Martial in a new formation without any cover in front of him. He improved massively as the game went on when we switched to a 4-3-3 with Lallana giving him more support.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: January 16, 2017, 10:59:23 am »
The problem with a diamond formation is that it leaves your full-backs exposed as they have no natural cover, they're often 2 on 1. We saw that when we nearly won the league under Rodgers using that formation, our full backs were constantly exposed and we conceded a lot of goals from crosses down the flanks.

It was tough for TAA to come into the side, away to United, up against Martial in a new formation without any cover in front of him. He improved massively as the game went on when we switched to a 4-3-3 with Lallana giving him more support.

I thought Can & Lallana came to help him right from the start of the game, even before the formation change.

He was one of one at times, but that will happen regardless of the formation.  Don't think he was ever 2 vs 1.

I like him, think he'll be a very good player.  Just not convinced RB is his best position and I'm not going to say I thought he played well, when I don't think he did.

He did OK though.  He'll benefit from this experience.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: January 16, 2017, 10:59:43 am »
Thought he did well all things considered.

Tough match to make your debut in, up against a good player in Martial.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: January 16, 2017, 10:59:53 am »
He did well i thought. Martial was probably the toughest opponent he could have faced in this league as the guy is as good as anyone when 1vs1.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #248 on: January 16, 2017, 11:02:28 am »
I thought Can & Lallana came to help him right from the start of the game, even before the formation change.

He was one of one at times, but that will happen regardless of the formation.  Don't think he was ever 2 vs 1.

I like him, think he'll be a very good player.  Just not convinced RB is his best position and I'm not going to say I thought he played well, when I don't think he did.

He did OK though.  He'll benefit from this experience.
I didn't ask you to say he played well, I was providing some background as to why an 18-year old make his full league debut may have struggled early on.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: January 16, 2017, 11:07:27 am »
I didn't ask you to say he played well, I was providing some background as to why an 18-year old make his full league debut may have struggled early on.

Yes, I'm sorry - I didn't agree with your point.

I will watch the game again though, so might change my mind.  :)

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Big Exeter fan, pretending to be a gooner, pretending...yawn
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: January 16, 2017, 11:48:53 am »
Far too inexperienced to be playing in such a game and he made a fundamental mistake at that level and Liverpool nearly paid for it.

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: January 16, 2017, 12:27:21 pm »
Far too inexperienced to be playing in such a game and he made a fundamental mistake at that level and Liverpool nearly paid for it.
How would you have set the team up without TAA playing ? JK had no choice in playing him. All players make mistakes during a game at end of day his did not lead to a goal.
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #252 on: January 16, 2017, 12:32:01 pm »
How would you have set the team up without TAA playing ? JK had no choice in playing him. All players make mistakes during a game at end of day his did not lead to a goal.

he did have a choice to switch Milner, but he trusts TAA.

Ridiculois post above yours to be honest.

He has to start somewhere, and this season is TAA's start. Only way he gains experience is to play.  Sure this may not be the ideal situation, but this is real life, not some computer game, sometimes the situation isn't always ideal.

And I for one love the fact he's been trusted.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: January 16, 2017, 12:33:46 pm »
The only other solution would probably be to play Milner at right back, with Moreno on the other side. But I'm glad Klopp showed faith in an Acadamy player, especially since we already know Moreno isn't really of the required standard.

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: January 16, 2017, 12:35:46 pm »

He has to start somewhere, and this season is TAA's start. Only way he gains experience is to play.  Sure this may not be the ideal situation, but this is real life, not some computer game, sometimes the situation isn't always ideal.

Why is my post ridiculois ? You need to read my reply carefully I was all for TAA starting unlike the poster I was responding to.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: January 16, 2017, 12:37:29 pm »
Why is my post ridiculois ? You need to read my reply carefully I was all for TAA starting unlike the poster I was responding to.

Talking about reading carefully - I said the post ABOVE yours is ridiculous ;) 

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: January 16, 2017, 12:38:41 pm »
Talking about reading carefully - I said the post ABOVE yours is ridiculous ;) 
Beg your pardon sorry.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #257 on: January 16, 2017, 12:42:09 pm »
loved it when rooney had a load of space behind trent to target and bottled taking him on for pace

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Big Exeter fan, pretending to be a gooner, pretending...yawn
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: January 16, 2017, 01:06:30 pm »

Do Liverpool not have a more experienced back up full back? Liverpool are going for the league and trophies, can not afford to field such inexperience imo at that level.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: January 16, 2017, 01:06:35 pm »
He's probably going to get another 90 under his belt on Wednesday.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: January 16, 2017, 01:16:17 pm »
Do Liverpool not have a more experienced back up full back? Liverpool are going for the league and trophies, can not afford to field such inexperience imo at that level.

yes they do, Moreno.

The back up to Clyne is Trent Alexander Arnold though, so rather than change two positions, the manager chose to go with just changing one position, which seems a pretty good idea to be honest.  Worked out ok too, here's to another positive step in his development and experience on Wednesday.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #261 on: January 16, 2017, 01:32:08 pm »

Probably best to disband the youth setup then? There's no point in having the Academy if we aren't going to trust and support young players when a chance arises due to injury in the 1st team.

TAA did well yesterday and will have learnt loads from the experience. I don't know if he's going to make it long term but he's done himself and the Academy proud with his performances this season.

I'd personally rather have a good youth prospect as back up this season than have bought an experienced right back to sit on the bench 95% of the time.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #262 on: January 16, 2017, 02:13:43 pm »
I thought Lovren went more than the extra mile to help TAA myself.  Covered him really well.  Hard to judge the kid on that match really,  he didn't play that well,  but it was a baptism of fire and he didn't wilt under huge pressure,  and you can't teach 'character!'.  He's not as quick as I thought he was is my only concern.....

Wonder if Randall would have got the nod had he not just been back from a long injury lay off?
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: January 16, 2017, 02:18:13 pm »
 He had a bit of a mare but he got through it, was a baptism of fire exactly
We missed Clynes attacking play on that side all day

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: January 16, 2017, 02:24:47 pm »
I honestly missed him having a bit of a mare.

Funny how people see games so differently, the opinions on this thread range from him being great, to him being a liabitlty!

I'm in the - he looked nervous at first, and had a couple bad moments, but grew into the game and did well all told - camp  :thumbup

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: January 16, 2017, 02:29:48 pm »

Funny how people see games so differently, the opinions on this thread range from him being great, to him being a liabitlty!

I'm in the - he looked nervous at first, and had a couple bad moments, but grew into the game and did well all told - camp  :thumbup

Likewise. As Klopp likes to say, he likes his players to find solutions for themselves.

Well in his two most difficult performances so far (yesterday and the home cup game to spurs), he had to overcome a nervy start being targeted by united and an early yellow against spurs, where he was also targeted. both times he composed himself very well and performed at a good level (he wasn't out of place yesterday). have been impressed with his character all seasons. very happy we have him and - provided we get a bit lucky with clyne's fitness in the next year, and TAA gets more games this year - I'm very happy for him to be our number 2

Wonder if Randall would have got the nod had he not just been back from a long injury lay off?

obviously only subjective, but i think not. i think TAA was already considered ahead of him and yesterday will only have cemented that. going to be hard for randall to make the jump from the u23s, and suspect he may be in his last season with us.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: January 16, 2017, 02:50:49 pm »
Just as an example Pogba chance when he was clean through. Mkhitarian has the ball, TAA over covers on Martial to the left allowing Pogba the space to run through clean on goal. He's put in a difficult situation of course but just things like that are areas to improve in that he doesn't need to cover the man but the space (which will come). On another day it costs us the game. Not trying to have a go lol

That's more of a Lovren issue then a Trent AA issue in my opinion. 

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: January 16, 2017, 02:52:21 pm »
As a club we really should be able to produce fullbacks at least. Trent will develop even further till the start of next season and with him and Gomez in mind it'd be unnecessary to look into the market for right backs and focus on other positions especially when you consider Clyne's durability.

Completely agree.  There is no need for us to look at bringing in anyone for the RB position at any time in the near future. 

Offline Stand Free

• Anny Roader
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #268 on: January 16, 2017, 03:00:34 pm »

Agree with this, never thought he was outstanding but would have said he had a good game, never even crossed my mind that people would be criticising his performance!

Offline Chavasse1917

• Legacy Fan
  • “Winning trophies has made me put on weight.”
« Reply #269 on: January 16, 2017, 03:02:13 pm »

Well, that makes two of us at least...!!
"Everything has an end...except a sausage, which has two".

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #270 on: January 16, 2017, 03:04:20 pm »
Completely agree.  There is no need for us to look at bringing in anyone for the RB position at any time in the near future.

That limits the search to a left back. Better cover/replacement for Milner and he can be used to cover other positions.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #271 on: January 16, 2017, 03:12:46 pm »
Personally I'm finding it hard to separate his overall performance from that first touch directly from a De Gea goal-kick (?) towards the end. Killed it dead would be an understatement!

I genuinely think there's a very good player in this lad and didn't see him having a 'mare either; I saw an 18 year old lad on his full debut against Manchester United making a few rash choices but otherwise doing fine.

Offline codswallop

• Kemlynite
« Reply #272 on: January 16, 2017, 04:12:19 pm »
Thought Martial was gonna have a field day against him early doors,but gradually grew into the game,and in the end they took the Manc off. Can't remember him putting a foot wrong 2nd half.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #273 on: January 16, 2017, 04:27:47 pm »
Yes, he made a few mistakes yesterday, but overall he did ok. He certainly didn't get cleaned out

Imagine being just 18 years old and being called into the 1st team to play against your clubs biggest rivals away from home in front of 70 odd thousand

Not to mention the millions of people around the world watching on TV because it also happens to be one of the biggest fixtures in world football

All things considered, I think he passed the test quite well
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Realdidi

• Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #274 on: January 16, 2017, 07:52:06 pm »
Thought he did very well and now hopefully we'll see more of him and he can push Clyne to play better. I loved Klopps reasoning for picking him ahead of Moreno and switching Millie to RB. Shows the faith they have in the young lad
I love Liverpool like a fat kid love Cake

http://twitter.com/#/AlfaEllis

Offline North Red

• Anny Roader
« Reply #275 on: January 16, 2017, 08:15:29 pm »
The youngster did alright.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: January 16, 2017, 10:51:30 pm »
Thought he did boss, considering everything. Anyone who is not totally chuffed for him and the youth setup is mad.
 Loads of support from Henderson and Lallana which is how it should be seeing a young lad into the team. Lots to be pleased about there.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #277 on: January 16, 2017, 10:56:11 pm »
I think it's testament to him that he looked like a senior player having an off day.  He wasn't appalling, he wasn't a liability, he was just shaky and nervous at times.

Confident that he'll grow into quite some player for us.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: January 17, 2017, 12:12:51 am »

Played better than the worlds most expensive player. Now that was the definition of a mare. TAA had a mostly good game with a few errors thrown in. 

Online bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: January 17, 2017, 12:45:52 am »
If Clyne had that game we'd laying into him. Getting caught in possession in the second half very nearly cost us, and many of their attacks came from his side.

Very young, and I can't imagine the pressure involved making your league debut (at 18) at that shit hole, but I don't think he's ready to be a PL starter just yet.