Author Topic: RAWK Preview: Liverpool v Crystal Palace Saturday 5th K.O.15:00  (Read 56295 times)

Offline spifff

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: RAWK Preview: Liverpool v Crystal Palace Saturday 5th K.O.15:00
« Reply #40 on: October 2, 2013, 12:04:29 pm »
Let´s get the big win that we have been waiting for since the season started. Palace at home. It doesn´t get any easier.

So of course we´ll **** it up.

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: October 2, 2013, 12:09:26 pm »
I'd also like to see Kelly played at wing back too, he's a powerful player with a good engine. There are others who would like to see Sterling play right wing back, but Crystal Palace arent that bad that we could take the piss like that surely?

Questions: Are Agger and Allen fit?

That always breaks down, just when you least expect it to..  ::)
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline kristr

• Boys Pen
« Reply #42 on: October 2, 2013, 12:11:25 pm »
It's time to re-establish our passing game and play the ball around the CP players. Keep the ball on the ground, play simple passes, and get some movement in front of the ball. Quite simply the opposite of what we did in the Saints match.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #43 on: October 2, 2013, 12:14:08 pm »
Cheers, some painful memories in that OP! I had written a few thoughts on it too – might as well add them in here!..

Say the words ‘Crystal’ and ‘Palace’ together and what jumps to mind? For the happy go lucky amongst you I bet it conjures up images of Steve Nicol slotting his 2nd in the 9 (NINE)-0 drubbing in 1989/90. Perhaps you think of a beaming Robbie Fowler scoring in League Cup Semi Final wins in either 1995 or 2001 that sent us on our way to Wembley and Cardiff. How about the opening day 6-1 shellacking we dished out at Selhurst Park in 1994?

Not me. As great as those wins (and several other drubbings we’ve given them over the years) were, hearing the words Crystal Palace makes my blood run cold. All it makes me think of is being 11 and sitting in disbelief at Villa Park as the invincible, incredible, all conquering Liverpool that had previously been all I’d ever known began to crumble in front of my eyes. I couldn’t comprehend what I was seeing and you could argue that despite going on to win the League the following month that was the first strong evidence that the times they were-a-changing. Since then we have thrashed them regularly but also had our noses bloodies a few too many times for my liking including an embarrassing early FA Cup exit in 2003 and a League defeat in 2005 with the likes of Potter and Welsh to the fore that was thankfully soon forgotten as we had far bigger fish to fry a few days later. We’ve also suffered League Cup exits at their hands. It’s fair to say I’m not too fond of them.

Thankfully Crystal Palace tend to take to the Premier League like Thomas Brolin to skimmed milk and their stays in the top flight tend to be shorter lived than Attilio Lombardo’s full head of hair. (That’s as topical a reference as I could crowbar in there given their recent lack of success at this level!) The last time they came to Anfield in the top flight was the Autumn of 2004/05 and already it was shaping up to be a long hard season for them. Despite that, we did our very best to be hospitable, only winning courtesy of a Milan Baros 90th minute penalty that gave him his hat-trick. Prior to that we beat them 2-1 late in the 97/98 season courtesy of a winning goal from David Thompson.

This year Iain Holloway’s bunch of youth, lower league signings, overseas journeymen and Marouane Chamakh sit in the heady heights of 2nd bottom and despite a couple of valiant performances have already shown signs that it will be another long, hard slog for survival. However that’s not to say they can’t cause embarrassments along the way and we, more than anyone know what they can be capable of. So what will it be, a comfortable cruise for the Redmen as we finally click into gear and administer another dose of Capital punishment? Or will Palace once again cause us an upset as shatter our confidence like a Crystal vase? Appalling, apologies…

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #44 on: October 2, 2013, 12:16:34 pm »
PS - Emma from Croydon is a slag.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #45 on: October 2, 2013, 12:38:57 pm »
PS - Emma from Croydon is a slag.
I used to see a girl called Emma from Croydon, she was a Palace fan, must have been the early 90's. She was seeing some fella at the time but said he couldn't keep up with her.

I always remember when they beat us in the cup that year, she said she was going to give me the time of my life. Funny thing was she rang her boyfriend half way through and started taking the piss out of him. 
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: October 2, 2013, 12:51:12 pm »
I used to see a girl called Emma from Croydon, she was a Palace fan, must have been the early 90's. She was seeing some fella at the time but said he couldn't keep up with her.

I always remember when they beat us in the cup that year, she said she was going to give me the time of my life. Funny thing was she rang her boyfriend half way through and started taking the piss out of him. 

Wow, what are the chances of that!?

Also would like to add Jari's cameo in the first leg of the 2001 semi to the list of memories (seem to think there was a dummy involved somewhere, gotta love those dummies).

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: October 2, 2013, 12:55:10 pm »
Maybe they are the worst team in the league now, but I remember watching them playing Man United at OT few weeks back. Man United could not score until that prick Young dive that gave them a penalty and a red card to the palace defender. I think this Palace side are capable of maybe nicking a draw at Anfield. We need to score early and then later hit them on the counter attack.

Yeah, but they're playing a big club now, not some mid-table dross stuck in 12th place ;)

Reasonably confident, would love to see another 9-0 (I was at Anfield for that one and couldn't quite believe what I was seeing) but a couple apiece from Sturridge and Suarez will do me.

Totally forgot Pardew scored that fourth goal in the Cup. No wonder I've always hated the prick.

Offline cgahan

• Anny Roader
« Reply #48 on: October 2, 2013, 01:03:00 pm »
Think this could be tough for us to break them down. We haven't been exactly fluid this season. Early goal is important. Only Palace match I remember being at was just before Istanbul. Lost to Andy Johnson's goal and we were awful.
In England they say that Manchester is the city of rain. Its main attraction is considered to be the timetable at the railway station where trains leave for other, less rainy cities. - Nemanja Vidic

Offline duelcandle

• Kemlynite
  • Adam & Callum forever
« Reply #49 on: October 2, 2013, 01:12:54 pm »
I want us to win 9-0 again and for Mark Bright to be on BBC's Final Score so I can Sky+ it.

The bitterness that nob holds against us just because of that 1989 drubbing is hilarious.

GET OVER IT MAN!!!!!

He's with Jesus now.
Middle Linner

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #50 on: October 2, 2013, 01:24:30 pm »
Far too confident in here. We have been playing poorly and last two times we have played Holloway teams we have lost. We seem to have a problem with complacency and if ever there was a banana skin its this. They'll play men behind the ball and have pop shots from 20 yards.

We should beat them but that doesn't mean we will. They only lost to Spurs from a penalty and were unlucky at Old trafford cos Ashley the diving bastard.

I hope we win, we should win. But by no means am I expecting a rollover

Well said.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline EmotionalCitrus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: October 2, 2013, 01:31:47 pm »
Far too confident in here. We have been playing poorly and last two times we have played Holloway teams we have lost. We seem to have a problem with complacency and if ever there was a banana skin its this. They'll play men behind the ball and have pop shots from 20 yards.

We should beat them but that doesn't mean we will. They only lost to Spurs from a penalty and were unlucky at Old trafford cos Ashley the diving bastard.

It's Palace at home, we'll twat them.

Offline Milkay Gundog

• Anny Roader
« Reply #52 on: October 2, 2013, 01:35:03 pm »
After the southampton game it should be clear that there is no 'given' in the league...And although palace started a little shakey, they will still be up for it, they have no problem going at the bigger teams, but if we play possession football and not play too direct then i can see us slotting in a few, we're better in every aspect, we just need to keep the bloody ball...

Would love to see hendo in the middle for this game and gerrard ahead of him, let hendo do the running and gerrard find the space between the defence/midfield, he'll be creating goals for fun from there
Southampton and Crystal Palace are in another galaxy compared to each other, one is a top 6 dark horse the other is relegation fodder.

Offline freddwarf

• Pub bore. See? See? I was right! Gerrard back in C/Mid! Told you all months ago! See? Listen to me! I'm always right! Chose accessorising over a European Final. Gave his wife the trousers.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: October 2, 2013, 01:38:55 pm »

Come on now. While yes we lost to Soton and many were saying could be 2,3 or 4 , we have to be confident of beating Palance. Yes there is no room for complacency and we have to watchful but if we can't feel confident of beating Palance we are in the shit.

It's the likes of West Ham, Fulham etc who get the jitters about playing Palace....but I mean Crystal Palance managed by that carrot cruncher...at home...SAS on fire...got to be at the very least a...0-0 draw...surely we can hold them to that..

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: October 2, 2013, 01:41:43 pm »
Anything less than a draw will be massive disappointment

Offline Yozza1

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: October 2, 2013, 01:44:00 pm »
Ill be shitting meself hoping we dont fuck this one up as we should not. Should be putting a few past these with the 2 forwards we have and I'd also expect us to keep a clean sheet. Lets just hope its not one of those grey afternoons and Anfield that we have seen all too often in recent seasons

Offline freddwarf

• Pub bore. See? See? I was right! Gerrard back in C/Mid! Told you all months ago! See? Listen to me! I'm always right! Chose accessorising over a European Final. Gave his wife the trousers.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: October 2, 2013, 01:49:41 pm »
Anything less than a draw will be massive disappointment

I'll be delighted if we can get out of this game by conceeding less than 5...I mean they have just signed good old Wurzel Hardcastle the reformed cider drinker.....Ooh Arrh...ooh arrh...A..

Offline eLToRo

• Legacy Fan
  • Living the dream
« Reply #57 on: October 2, 2013, 01:51:01 pm »
I'll be delighted if we can get out of this game by conceeding less than 5...I mean they have just signed good old Wurzel Hardcastle the reformed cider drinker.....Ooh Arrh...ooh arrh...A..

You can't win this game without 5 or 6 world class players.

Offline CaptainSuarez

• Anny Roader
« Reply #58 on: October 2, 2013, 01:57:04 pm »
We should be beating these lot comfortably but the longer our games go on at 0-0 these days, the less confident I become. This is the type of game where Coutinho is sorely missed as he has the abilty to put the eye through the eye of a needle when he comes up against packed defences. I'd love to see Alberto given a go in the number 10 role for this game.

2 - 0 Suarez, Sturridge.

Offline Baz Smythe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: October 2, 2013, 02:03:05 pm »
Come on now. While yes we lost to Soton and many were saying could be 2,3 or 4 , we have to be confident of beating Palance. Yes there is no room for complacency and we have to watchful but if we can't feel confident of beating Palance we are in the shit.

It's the likes of West Ham, Fulham etc who get the jitters about playing Palace....but I mean Crystal Palance managed by that carrot cruncher...at home...SAS on fire...got to be at the very least a...0-0 draw...surely we can hold them to that..

I'm not saying I don't think we'll win but too many times we play a team at home expecting a massive win and we lose. It happens every year several times a year
Follow me on twitter.

https://twitter.com/1chrissmith1

Offline greytop11

• Main Stander
« Reply #60 on: October 2, 2013, 02:04:37 pm »
I think Suarez may become the prems leading scorer after this game  :D

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #61 on: October 2, 2013, 02:06:09 pm »
Thankfully Crystal Palace tend to take to the Premier League like Thomas Brolin to skimmed milk

For some reason that really tickled me!

Have mixed memories of Palace, used to love their old away terracing but we never seemed to win at Selhurst Park (including playing bloody Wimbledon). Except for that 1-6 in 1994 (by which time the terracing had gone and we were shoved in that shitty Arthur Wait stand next to it) which was a boiling hot day and a fucking great game.

Looking forward to this one much more than I was Southampton, if only to hopefully see Holloway's miserable face moaning about something at the end of it all.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: October 2, 2013, 02:30:26 pm »

You can't win this game without 5 or 6 world class players.

But hopefully we get some good transfers in January window and get at least a draw against them in the 2nd match

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: October 2, 2013, 02:31:06 pm »
I'm not saying I don't think we'll win but too many times we play a team at home expecting a massive win and we lose. It happens every year several times a year

We're fan it's Crystal Palace at home for FFS.  What the fuck do yo expect us to think. Do you think we should somehow be pessimistic about this game? 

We'll batter them and if we don't well then we move on to the next one.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #64 on: October 2, 2013, 02:37:12 pm »
Lets not get too ahead of ourselves, keep it solid, and hopefully Sturridge and Suarez can both get a goal. Solid 2-0 win would do me just fine.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: October 2, 2013, 02:47:15 pm »
Hopefully we can go back to the good old days of just beating bottom half teams with confidence and not stuttering clumsily all the time.. Lots of pressure, don't want to see 5 at the back with 2 holding midfielders 60 yard behind our attack. Move up the pitch a good 20 yards, death by football and all that good stuff please.

Offline cynicaloldgit

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: October 2, 2013, 02:49:09 pm »
Do we need a thread for this game...It's Crystal Palance at home.

Run of the mill home win. End of story.
Just like Southampton at home, right?
"You can always lie to others, but never to yourself."

Offline TheGOAT

• Gruff handbagger
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: October 2, 2013, 02:51:27 pm »
Just like Southampton at home, right?

No, like Wigan, Reading and QPR.

Offline duelcandle

• Kemlynite
  • Adam & Callum forever
« Reply #68 on: October 2, 2013, 03:04:46 pm »

Brilliant!
Middle Linner

Offline Bruce88

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: October 2, 2013, 03:21:07 pm »
A solid win without having to shit my pants would be nice for once.

Offline Bruce88

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: October 2, 2013, 03:22:28 pm »
Do we need a thread for this game...It's Crystal Palance at home.

Run of the mill home win. End of story.

Are you insane? It's the PL, everything can happen.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: October 2, 2013, 03:24:04 pm »
I went to a few Palace games last season as one of my mates is a Palace fan. Nice day out, and they played decent football - mostly down to Zaha and the injured Murray (I was at the game against Brighton when his knee went) who aren't going to be playing on Saturday of course. This season they've not looked that good, and we should win easily. Should. We have one of their old boys in Moses, who used to play in the same school team as my mate (who was also Moses' Captain!) mentioned above. He'll be well up for this one, so I hope he starts.

Looking forward to seeing that front 3 of Suarez, Sturridge and Moses, and the back 3 of Toure, Sakho and Skrtel (although would be great to see Agger if he's fit). With Lucas out, I wonder what the rejig will be - doesn't sound like Allen's going to be fit enough to step in, and Henderson will have to be more central. I think we'll see Wisdom/Kelly come in on the right side compared to the team on Sunday, and Henderson fills in for Lucas, with the rest unchanged.

Hoping to get a couple of tickets for this, but if not then a couple of beers and have it on at home. Hopefully a comfortable win and we go top of the table whilst adding a few goals to the GD.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: October 2, 2013, 03:24:47 pm »
In fairness doogle Southampton are a decent side. This Palace side is fucking shite. Anything other than a win and id be concerned.Im confident and i think the vast majority of fans are too.They like to try and attack, weve got goals in us with sturridge and suarez up front.I cant see anything other than a home win.

I agree but .... let's just win it eh. No doubt we are a better team than Palace. Let's just win though. Anything - 0 will do for me. For now I just want to see points on the board. No arrogance.

Offline Rory Fitzgerald

• Anny Roader
  • The Greatest player to wear No.25 for Liverpool
    • The Inside Right
« Reply #73 on: October 2, 2013, 03:24:52 pm »
I like to look at the opposition to see what threats & weaknesses they have, here is some of my analysis on Crystal Palace.

Crystal Palace set-up

Their set up has its foundation on the double pivot in midfield of Kagisho Dikgacoi & Mile Jedinak. Dikgacoi is the player more likely to step forward out of midfield with the captain Jedinak more dispossed to covering behind. Whilst Holloway played an expansive attacking game with Blackpool, he has become more pragmatic with Crystal Palace. Two weeks ago he said that in 2008 he went to Liberty Stadium to watch a few games and that " .....Swansea changed how I see the whole of football". However, he was asked if a solid defence was the best starting point for a successful campaign with Holloway replying tellingly that: " I think it is for this group. We actually got promoted by being hard to beat, hard to break down and then counter attacking".

Palace have not generally played with 2 out-and-out wide players. Their favoured channel of attack is down the right. The right back has generally been between Joel Ward or Mariappa with Ward having the more attacking tendancies with Mariappa being more defensively minded.. On the right of midfield is Jason Puncheon who is on loan from Southampton. The stats show that Palace favour the right and even more so when playing away. If there is a break away, our left side is likely to be busier.

The only natural left sided player, Jerome Thomas, has only started one game with Holloway putting either Barry Bannon or Jose Campana on this side, both of whom are more suited to a central role. This is perhaps a conservative move to retain balance i.e. 3 central midfielders in midfield with 1 more attacking wide player and 2 strikers.

Holloway has largely started with 2 center-forwardsin each game so far with Dwight Gayle and Chamakh starting most of the games together. Its not a natural 1-upfront-with-1-off but they will take it turns to alternate with Chamakh more likely to come deeper in order to allow Gayle use his pace against the last man.

Style of play

Whilst Holloway admits that its a counter-attacking set up, his team do not immediately look to go from back-to-front straight away. He still retains a belief in his players to play football and, unfortunately for him, it has cost him on more than 1 occassion due to the quality of player in the team.Their captain, Mile Jedinak is a 6'2 defensive midfielder and considered one of their best players. Only 3 other midfielders have made more tackles than him this season with Lucas being one of those. He is the player most likely to get on the ball for Palace in deep areas but with a pass success rate this season of just 76%, its not ideal to be giving away 1 pass in every 4 on average. He is currently getting up to speed with the Premiership but largely at fault for 2 goals recently. However, it is reflective of Holloway's patience with trying to play some football and not just insisting on players taking the safest option and smashing it up the pitch with his captain trying to lead by example.

In the graphic above, Jedinak plays a stray pass despite being under little pressure. Young collects the ball and drives at goal with Dikgacoi fouling him and the referee contentiously awarding a penalty and sending off Dikgacoi.

In this screen shot, Clyne has attempted to play a one-two but the return ball is very poor and puts Jedinak in control of the situation. However, he is ponderous in getting to the ball and looks like he is weighing up what he will do with the ball when he controls it. But, Southampton work very hard to win the ball back and Clyne races for the poorly returned ball and gets there ahead of a Jedinak. Ultimately, the ball springs forward to a Southampton player and they get the ball into Osvaldo who scores the opener. Both situations are reflective of a team that look to play some football but can make quite a few unforced errors especially if put under pressure.

The full preview of Crystal Palace is here www.theinsideright.com with more

- heat maps,
- graphics, and
- ingame screenshots.

Offline Digger2God

• Legacy Fan
  • Believe IT!
« Reply #74 on: October 2, 2013, 03:25:06 pm »
A solid win without having to shit my pants would be nice for once.

It would be great to enjoy the match without the fear of losing. I usually have to re-watch the games just to see all the things I missed in the haze of worrying about an errant Enrique back pass :)  A 3-0 lead by 60 minutes is all I ask. 
"How many do you want?! How MANY do you want?"

Offline Rory Fitzgerald

• Anny Roader
  • The Greatest player to wear No.25 for Liverpool
    • The Inside Right
« Reply #75 on: October 2, 2013, 03:36:40 pm »
Apologies for the main picture on the site being that of Alan Pardew's groin !!

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #76 on: October 2, 2013, 03:39:11 pm »
Anything less than a draw win will be massive disappointment

This is a game to start building up some confidence from our little blip last week. Dropping points to Southampton was not acceptable and at times we looked shaky against Sunderland.

Looks like we'll keep the same system so its important to make sure that our defence get more time playing that system together.
« Last Edit: October 2, 2013, 03:43:22 pm by gazzalfc »

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: October 2, 2013, 03:53:48 pm »
i've hated palace since the 1990 semi final,,, made me cry that day, so i hope we smash the bastards this weekend.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #78 on: October 2, 2013, 03:57:01 pm »
A win... a big win... if only to sock it Lippy the Lions ex from 1990.  We should do a banner!

And a song.

She's bound to be watching MOTD. It'd be hilarious!
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline goalspaytherent

• Just thought of a CT.....then saw the post history.....not gonna bother.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #79 on: October 2, 2013, 04:07:27 pm »
That semi final loss was horrendous .....always remember former Aston villa player Ian ormendroyd being sat above us in the stand , jumping up and down when palace scored ......what the fuck did he have to do with them ? Per all being late into the ground because of a crash on the motorway and the radio saying the match was going to be delayed so we were casually strolling to the ground after parking the car and some bizzie said it had kicked off on time ! Cue pandemonium as hundreds tried to leg it to the ground ......remember this was barely 12 months after hills rough so getting to the ground and seeing loads still outside trying to get in seemed a bit worrying to say the least.....when we finally got in , rush had already scored and I thought it would be a procession thereafter ....how wrong I was .....