Author Topic: RAWK Preview: Liverpool FC vs Manchester United (Sun 1st Sept, 1.30pm)  (Read 91496 times)

Offline RossoBianchi

• Manc Forum Slut
  • Legacy Fan
  • Peace
Re: RAWK Preview: Liverpool FC vs Manchester United (Sun 1st Sept, 1.30pm)
« Reply #160 on: August 29, 2013, 03:01:51 pm »
^^^^^^^^^

And just a sidenote, if any Man Utd fans are reading this and going to the game a bit of respect from you lot about the man above wouldnt go a miss, he helped you lot out after Munich , so behave yourselves

I'll be going, first time at Anfield in a few years, and I'm sure the Shanks tribute will be respected. Most of our section will be aware of the close personal bond between Bill and Sir Matt.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: August 29, 2013, 03:02:59 pm »
Did you not watch the Chelsea game last monday?

Can tactics stop Van Persie from scoring against us then  :P

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #162 on: August 29, 2013, 03:24:33 pm »
^^^^^^^^^

And just a sidenote, if any Man Utd fans are reading this and going to the game a bit of respect from you lot about the man above wouldnt go a miss, he helped you lot out after Munich , so behave yourselves

Some of them don't respect the 96, why would they respect Shankly?

Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #163 on: August 29, 2013, 03:28:30 pm »
I guess the question is, with van Persie leading their line, can tactics really stop them scoring?

Yes, Moyes' tactics are THAT bad.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline ab9

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #164 on: August 29, 2013, 03:29:38 pm »
Could be a real chance for Skrtel to show why he was named the player of the season for us a couple of seasons ago. I'd like to think it as an opportunity he has been waiting for, and be really up for this one. We all know United will try and play on the counter which makes Lucas such an important player for us. Also, I'd really like to see GlenJo and Enrique put a good performance in.
Quietly optimistic about this one!
2-0 Liverpool- Gerrard and Sturridge with the goals.  :scarf

Offline adwhite40

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #165 on: August 29, 2013, 03:38:45 pm »
Got a feeling this will end in draw! Gut feeling and all that... Obviously I hope that's not the case.

Fancy Stevie to keep up his scoring run against these at Anfield.

Feel without Kolo and a not 100% Skrtel we could be left exposed at the back and also leaves us vulnerable at set plays.
"Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say... WE ARE LIVERPOOL." - Bill Shankly

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: August 29, 2013, 03:45:59 pm »
^^^^^^^^^

I'm sure most will to be fair, the older ones at least.

Offline DG

• Killjoy who loves himself.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lovern
« Reply #167 on: August 29, 2013, 05:41:05 pm »
I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread. Oh well, here goes. One of the hardest games to predict that I can remember, either team can trounce the other I reckon. But I've watched Man United closely in their two opening games and they have impressed me, but are hard to get a read on.

Moyes, so far, has employed an asymmetric and quite reactive 4-4-1-1 and I expect their line-up and tactics vs Chelsea to be more accurate then their counterparts against Swansea. Against Chelsea, it looked very much like this:

Though in theory a 4-4-1-1, it was more a case of an asymmetric 3-4-3 as Moyes quite obviously tried to overload Chelsea's centre back pair by getting Welbeck in together with Rooney and RvP, whilst completely neglecting the nr 10 area. At times it worked splendidly well as Chelsea played a zonal defense but more often than not, Welbeck and Rooney got in each other's way failing to use the 3vs2 situation in the middle to full effect. As both Carrick and Cleverly sat deep however, they did manage to completely take Lampard and Ramires out of the game as they during large spells were in fact completely useless, especially as Chelsea played quite a direct counter-attacking game. If this tactic was based solely on Chelsea's zonal defense or if it is an early example of how Moyes plans to use the Rooney/RvP/Welbeck combination remains to be seen, but with our fresh CB-crisis it can be extremely effective and I'm sure Moyes has recognized this.

As for attacking patterns, United quite naturally focused their play almost entirely down the flanks as neither Rooney nor RvP came deep to offer a nr 10 option for Cleverly/Carrick. Despite Valencia being a winger and Evra being a full back, their average positions were astonishingly similar if not for Evra having to track back further than Valencia. Basically, in possession Evra and Valencia had very similar roles - to get round on the outside trying to get crosses and/or passes in to the forward trio. Though not at all effective against Ivanovic and Cole, I'm quite worried how much damage it could cause us as we've got Enrique and Johnson there. Rooney had a tendency to come wide and offer a passing option for both Valencia and Evra, and with our CBs being pre-occupied with RvP and Welbeck I don't think they will track him. Which means our wingers have to track back extremely well to avoid 2v1 situations. Valencia and Rooney vs Enrique is a goal waiting to happen.

Aside from that, I was very impressed with Cleverley's passing range and I would prefer if our nr 10 - be that Coutinho or Aspas - close him down regularly so that he can not spray it around as well as he at times did vs Chelsea.

Now, the back four/three can be got at however. Though Chelsea failed to capitalize, United did reveal some weaknesses in their defense that I expect Rodgers has seen as well. The two most important ones, for me, were the following:

The asymmetric back four - Welbeck does not track back half as well as Valencia, and Evra is often much further up the field than Jones. While Jones protected by Valencia is a defensively sound combination, Vidic having to come out to cover for Evra is not. If we are to score against United, I fully expect it to come from the Vidic/Evra-part of the defense. Vidic is a fantastic centre back, one of the best in the world when fit, but a full back he is not. Moyes has of course recognized this, but I think he simply tries to force the opposition's right flank to be too defensive to exploit it. As we will likely have to put Henderson there to help out Johnson, I think our nr 10 has to be mobile enough to exploit the space behind Evra when the opportunity arises. I would very much like to see Coutinho be our nr 10 as he is a perfect fit for it, but I'm fairly sure he will play wide until Suarez returns. This will fall unto Aspas and I hope he's up for it.

The second thing that caught my eye was that for some reason, be that tactical instructions or failure to recognize the danger, Vidic/Ferdinand were incredibly static when it came to blocking long shots, far more static than I have ever seen them. And as neither Carrick nor Cleverely is the defensive midfielder to make up for it, the are quite susceptible to long shots. To exploit the area between Vidic/Ferdinand and Carrick/Cleverly won't be an easy task, as the area isn't very big, but if we only manage to do that once or twice I think we could capitalize on it as Sturridge packs a decent shot, as does Gerrard (though he will rarely be in a position to use it) and Coutinho.

In conclusion, I believe the asymmetric 4-4-1-1 cum 3-4-3 United played vs Chelsea will be a perfect fit vs us. Partially because of our CB pair (Agger with Skrtel or Wisdom), as I can't see them handling a 2v2 for 90 minutes, let alone 3v2 and partially because we only have one wide player (who isn't a wide player at all) that tracks back sufficiently to protect our full backs vs 2v1 situations with Rooney + Valencia/Evra. Also, if they manage to keep Lucas/Gerrard out of the game (thought I doubt it) like they managed to do with Lampard and Ramires, we've lost two key players before the game has even started. I expect it to be less effective vs us than vs Chelsea though as our attack won't be half as direct as Chelsea's. Also, their biggest weakness being the Vidic/Evra-combination, will be hard to exploit as our best nr 10 is still playing wide. If we play Sterling out wide with Coutinho as a nr 10 instead of Aspas I would be more confident, but I doubt it will happen.

Basically, I would take a draw. United will have to underperform to get anything less than a win I'm afraid, because they'll put 11 quality players out there in a system perfect to counter us. If we do win, I think it will be more down to United underperforming than us doing well. Needless to say, I would love to be wrong.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 05:43:38 pm by DG »

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #168 on: August 29, 2013, 07:35:07 pm »
The one thing you don't want to do when entering this fixture is to be over confident. No danger of that since the world ended on Tuesday.

Thanks for the rigorous analysis DG, very well put together.

Offline sgt bilbo

• Main Stander
  • I have seen the light and it's red
« Reply #169 on: August 29, 2013, 08:09:59 pm »
It's the big one folks, the one we really want to win but it is the mancs remember, I've seen us play them off the park so many times and come away with nothing but i have a feeling this will be different, they will be up for it no sweat for it's the big one for them as well, no matter what they say this is the one.

We are on a great run of form and i haven't watched any utd games apart from Swansea and i thought the score line really flattered them but in rvp they have a match winner and in Sturridge so do we, the difference will be in defense.

If we can keep a clean sheet i think we can win it as i think we are better in attack than this current utd team to be honest, Coutinho will dazzle them and Sturridge to finish them, Stevie, Lucas and Hendo will have the midfield sorted, losing Kolo is a blow but hopefully big Martin will be back with a bang. :-)

Offline SweetSilverSevens

• Kopite
« Reply #170 on: August 29, 2013, 09:15:20 pm »
I would want us to play....

MIGNOLET
WISDOM--SKRTEL--AGGER
JOHNSON--GERRARD--LUCAS--ENRIQUE
STERLING----------COUTINHO
STURRIDGE

Just that extra bit of protection at the back will certainly calm my nerves. Agger hasn't exactly been in the best of forms recently. and Toure's injured  :'(. Having read DG's fantastic analysis, I think a back three/five will nulify the combination of RVP/Rooney/Welbeck a little bit better, and we'll be far more secure at defending set peices.

I'd like to see Sterling come back into the fold, not only was he in great form against Notts County, but he'd fit this system very well. In midweek he was full of so much enthusiasm and energy, both in tracking back defensively, and using his pace on the counter.... I think he's be a useful asset against Utd.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 09:31:15 pm by SweetSilverSevens »

Offline Ronster

• A Real Man who doesn't like Girlies
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #171 on: August 29, 2013, 09:23:02 pm »
I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread. Oh well, here goes. One of the hardest games to predict that I can remember, either team can trounce the other I reckon. But I've watched Man United closely in their two opening games and they have impressed me, but are hard to get a read on.

Moyes, so far, has employed an asymmetric and quite reactive 4-4-1-1 and I expect their line-up and tactics vs Chelsea to be more accurate then their counterparts against Swansea. Against Chelsea, it looked very much like this:

Though in theory a 4-4-1-1, it was more a case of an asymmetric 3-4-3 as Moyes quite obviously tried to overload Chelsea's centre back pair by getting Welbeck in together with Rooney and RvP, whilst completely neglecting the nr 10 area. At times it worked splendidly well as Chelsea played a zonal defense but more often than not, Welbeck and Rooney got in each other's way failing to use the 3vs2 situation in the middle to full effect. As both Carrick and Cleverly sat deep however, they did manage to completely take Lampard and Ramires out of the game as they during large spells were in fact completely useless, especially as Chelsea played quite a direct counter-attacking game. If this tactic was based solely on Chelsea's zonal defense or if it is an early example of how Moyes plans to use the Rooney/RvP/Welbeck combination remains to be seen, but with our fresh CB-crisis it can be extremely effective and I'm sure Moyes has recognized this.

As for attacking patterns, United quite naturally focused their play almost entirely down the flanks as neither Rooney nor RvP came deep to offer a nr 10 option for Cleverly/Carrick. Despite Valencia being a winger and Evra being a full back, their average positions were astonishingly similar if not for Evra having to track back further than Valencia. Basically, in possession Evra and Valencia had very similar roles - to get round on the outside trying to get crosses and/or passes in to the forward trio. Though not at all effective against Ivanovic and Cole, I'm quite worried how much damage it could cause us as we've got Enrique and Johnson there. Rooney had a tendency to come wide and offer a passing option for both Valencia and Evra, and with our CBs being pre-occupied with RvP and Welbeck I don't think they will track him. Which means our wingers have to track back extremely well to avoid 2v1 situations. Valencia and Rooney vs Enrique is a goal waiting to happen.

Aside from that, I was very impressed with Cleverley's passing range and I would prefer if our nr 10 - be that Coutinho or Aspas - close him down regularly so that he can not spray it around as well as he at times did vs Chelsea.

Now, the back four/three can be got at however. Though Chelsea failed to capitalize, United did reveal some weaknesses in their defense that I expect Rodgers has seen as well. The two most important ones, for me, were the following:

The asymmetric back four - Welbeck does not track back half as well as Valencia, and Evra is often much further up the field than Jones. While Jones protected by Valencia is a defensively sound combination, Vidic having to come out to cover for Evra is not. If we are to score against United, I fully expect it to come from the Vidic/Evra-part of the defense. Vidic is a fantastic centre back, one of the best in the world when fit, but a full back he is not. Moyes has of course recognized this, but I think he simply tries to force the opposition's right flank to be too defensive to exploit it. As we will likely have to put Henderson there to help out Johnson, I think our nr 10 has to be mobile enough to exploit the space behind Evra when the opportunity arises. I would very much like to see Coutinho be our nr 10 as he is a perfect fit for it, but I'm fairly sure he will play wide until Suarez returns. This will fall unto Aspas and I hope he's up for it.

The second thing that caught my eye was that for some reason, be that tactical instructions or failure to recognize the danger, Vidic/Ferdinand were incredibly static when it came to blocking long shots, far more static than I have ever seen them. And as neither Carrick nor Cleverely is the defensive midfielder to make up for it, the are quite susceptible to long shots. To exploit the area between Vidic/Ferdinand and Carrick/Cleverly won't be an easy task, as the area isn't very big, but if we only manage to do that once or twice I think we could capitalize on it as Sturridge packs a decent shot, as does Gerrard (though he will rarely be in a position to use it) and Coutinho.

In conclusion, I believe the asymmetric 4-4-1-1 cum 3-4-3 United played vs Chelsea will be a perfect fit vs us. Partially because of our CB pair (Agger with Skrtel or Wisdom), as I can't see them handling a 2v2 for 90 minutes, let alone 3v2 and partially because we only have one wide player (who isn't a wide player at all) that tracks back sufficiently to protect our full backs vs 2v1 situations with Rooney + Valencia/Evra. Also, if they manage to keep Lucas/Gerrard out of the game (thought I doubt it) like they managed to do with Lampard and Ramires, we've lost two key players before the game has even started. I expect it to be less effective vs us than vs Chelsea though as our attack won't be half as direct as Chelsea's. Also, their biggest weakness being the Vidic/Evra-combination, will be hard to exploit as our best nr 10 is still playing wide. If we play Sterling out wide with Coutinho as a nr 10 instead of Aspas I would be more confident, but I doubt it will happen.

Basically, I would take a draw. United will have to underperform to get anything less than a win I'm afraid, because they'll put 11 quality players out there in a system perfect to counter us. If we do win, I think it will be more down to United underperforming than us doing well. Needless to say, I would love to be wrong.

This is all good shit DG but let's get some pictures up of what we're gonna do to them. I'm all for getting pictures up of what they're up to but you need to balance it and end up with some more pictures and arrows showing how we're gonna cope with what they do as well as show some shit that we're gonna do to them, that they wont be able to cope with.

These games can't come round quick enough for me at the moment. THIS IS IT.....THIS IS THE BIG ONE!! Wish I could do a Walt Disney till Sunday. HOME-FUCKIN-WIN
'When circumstances can not be changed attitude is everything'

Offline Dree

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: August 29, 2013, 09:27:39 pm »

MIGNOLET
WISDOM--SKRTEL--AGGER
STERLING-------------COUTINHO
STURRIDGE

Just that extra bit of protection at the back will certainly calm my nerves. Agger hasn't exactly been in the best of forms recently. and Toure's injured  :'(. Having read DG's fantastic analysis, I think a back three/five will nulify the combination of RVP/Rooney/Welbeck a little bit better, and we'll be far more secure at defending set peices.

I'd like to see Sterling come back into the fold, not only was he in great form against Notts County, but he'd fit this system very well. In midweek he was full of so much enthusiasm and energy, both in tracking back defensively, and using his pace on the counter.... I think he's be a useful asset against Utd.

He tore Evra apart at Anfield last year, I'd definitely go with him from the start in place of Aspas just for his pace.

Offline JHova2427

• Enjoys a nice bit of halibut and is prepared to get stoned for it. 2427 times.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: August 29, 2013, 09:32:26 pm »

MIGNOLET
WISDOM--SKRTEL--AGGER
STERLING----------COUTINHO
STURRIDGE

Hendo for Sterling and I really like it.  I will be immensely flabbergasted if Henderson does not start this match. 

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: August 29, 2013, 10:59:38 pm »

This is a mental test more than anything, if United score first will we crumble?

if we score first will get a second or third or will we retreat and allow united to launch an onslaught which results inevitably in a goal?

Offline Qcase1977

• Kopite
« Reply #175 on: August 29, 2013, 11:08:25 pm »
No stupid fuck ups and we'll win. 100% concentration for the whole game.

Offline SweetSilverSevens

• Kopite
« Reply #176 on: August 29, 2013, 11:49:56 pm »
Hendo for Sterling and I really like it.  I will be immensely flabbergasted if Henderson does not start this match.

Within a different formation, Henderson may be involved.... in this system, no chance!

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: August 30, 2013, 12:36:16 am »
Well this is how we lined up against them last year at home: Reina, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Kelly, Gerrard, Allen, Sterling, Shelvey, Borini, Suarez.  We were the better side that game even though Shelvey got sent off and we some how managed to lose.  Anything can happen obviously but i think we are better placed to get 3 points against them at home this season.   Add Lucas, Henderson, Coutinho, Aspas? and Sturridge to that squad and we are a much better side. 

Offline Bruce88

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: August 30, 2013, 12:46:49 am »
Holy crap really can't wait for this one. Not expecting too much though, just wait and see what happens. Not the end of the world if we don't win. Well, maybe for a little while but not in the long run.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: August 30, 2013, 12:55:08 am »
The pressure cooker is building up! 
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #180 on: August 30, 2013, 01:06:26 am »
Given needs to start this one.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: August 30, 2013, 01:15:47 am »
At full strength I really like our chances but the loss of Toure will benefit Van Persie while the absence of Suarez (to get in behind Evra) means we look a lot less able to exploit Man Utd's weaknesses.

I think we should stick with what we've played.

Mignolet
Johnson     Skrtel        Agger         Enrique
                  Lucas    Gerrard
     Henderson                  Coutinho
                Sturridge   Aspas

If we're going to score I think it needs to come from Aspas and Sturridge exploiting the space between Vidic/Ferdinand and Carrick/Cleverly. I'm confident Johnson/Hendo/Lucas can shut down their left side but Rooney and Van Persie are going to be a handful. If they get a good supply of crosses in I see us struggling.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline subroc

• cut at you with a clipper? Gas Face given, I beg to differ.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: August 30, 2013, 07:34:36 am »
There's no better way to traumatise Moyes' brief reign by beating them badly on Sunday and send them on their inevitable tailspin to relegation and Championship oblivion... ;D

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: August 30, 2013, 08:17:06 am »
Echo now saying Kolo is responding to treatment well and could be fit for Sunday. Which is in line with a poster on here saying the same that, that Kolo looks likely to play.

Very, very good news.

Offline Get

• ...ting perilously close to being banned, so even the avatar is WRONG!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Support Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #184 on: August 30, 2013, 08:23:01 am »
Echo now saying Kolo is responding to treatment well and could be fit for Sunday. Which is in line with a poster on here saying the same that, that Kolo looks likely to play.

Very, very good news.

If Kolo can play We are right back in this..

Sell a few cars in his name to cheer up his spirits!
Quote from: Fordy on July 20, 2012, 01:24:46 PM
Anything more that 6m for Joe Allen and we have been ripped off.

Loads of Joe allens out there.

I would like to see him stay at Swansea myself and see if he can have another decent season. He is a championship player - players like a championship player.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #185 on: August 30, 2013, 08:48:19 am »
Tony Gale has got us down for a 3-1 defeat. Coz we never beat the big teams. ::)

Hope we ram that prediction back down his throat.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: August 30, 2013, 08:51:01 am »
Tony Gale has got us down for a 3-1 defeat. Coz we never beat the big teams. ::)

Hope we ram that prediction back down his throat.

The same Tony Gale who only got one result out of 7 right last week. :P

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #187 on: August 30, 2013, 09:14:54 am »
The mighty Lawro is predicting a 1-1 and I suspect he might not be far off. That would give me a mix of disappointment and relief. How about 1-1 after 60 mins of cagey defensive play then hell for leather both sides from then on. Gerrard in the 94th minute. Moyes face as it goes in my screensaver for a day.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: August 30, 2013, 09:17:58 am »
Great OP mate, I appreciate the time and effort that's gone in to that mate.

I think anyone is entitled to let their weekend start with a bit of trepidation. Its a long time to wait for this game and with any Man U game brings an element of fear which is prolonged. Only an Everton game is similar, and although a win against Everton brings localised bragging-rights, for me the extremes of a win or defeat against Man U are much greater. Put simply, I hate Man U more than an average other fan dislikes Everton. I resent their success but its not about their success, it stems back to reading that pink Football Echo and seeing Charlton and Best on the front of our paper, our fucking football paper. The twats also deprived us of the treble. Even watching the sorry sight of 'Big Ron' slouch around the CBB house invokes feelings of disdain that are childishly ingrained. I despised him by default when he was their manager and the fact that he was a prick compounded it.

The euphoria of a win or the disappointment of a defeat against Man U are poles apart for me, even the middle ground draw is little consolation - although it maybe a valuable point against an often great side, to me its always two points dropped against the most despicable club in the league.

Does anyone see this as a potential edge of seat high score game with a win for us? Hopefully this will be a matter we'll score one more than them because I fancy our attacking line-up to torment them as much as when Torres ripped them apart and Rafa emptied their stadium after an hour. But at the other end, unless Moyes gifts us with an Everton type performance, I'm concerned that we'll concede also.

And therein lye's some hope, perhaps we should not view it as the Champions coming to an often nervous Anfield, but it's just David Moyes bringing a bunch of has-been's who have one exceptionally good player who must be controlled.

Offline G1-tiga

• Kopite
« Reply #189 on: August 30, 2013, 09:25:25 am »
Wonderful news about Kolo Toure if true.

The nerves hit me last night, didn't sleep to well and don't think I will for a while yet! So excited now!

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #190 on: August 30, 2013, 09:32:44 am »
The same Tony Gale who only got one result out of 7 right last week. :P

He got 8 out of 10 right the week before though.

Offline lfcbob

• Legacy Fan
  • Oh campione
« Reply #191 on: August 30, 2013, 09:39:36 am »
I want Borini to be unleashed
“Everything will be ok in the end. If it’s not ok, it’s not the end.”

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #192 on: August 30, 2013, 10:04:50 am »

Very, very good news.
Hmmm.... I feel like I'm in the twilight zone here.

I thought we'd have to do without him for months?
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #193 on: August 30, 2013, 10:06:55 am »
Had a little daydream just now which ended with Henderson hitting the winner and going ape. Would absolutely love for that to happen, he really deserves a 'defining moment' to reward the big improvements he's made in the last year.

Offline MJohnson2

• Legacy Fan
  • Said It's High Green mate, Via Hillsborough please
« Reply #194 on: August 30, 2013, 10:28:25 am »

Kolo Toure to get the winner, 6 minutes into 3 minutes added on! Gerrard to run to the united fans and celebrate like the rat did against us!!!
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/MattyJohnson8

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #195 on: August 30, 2013, 10:28:27 am »
He tore Evra apart at Anfield last year, I'd definitely go with him from the start in place of Aspas just for his pace.
Aspas undid the defenses of both our opening opponents and allowed Danny to score, by operating in the space just in front of the CBs and the midfield.

For efficiency, I'll take him.

I think that instead of having to be forced to play a game similar to a 4-4-1-1 or 4-4-2 from an away team, we just play our game. Starve them of possession, press/close down in 3's, pass it around our CBs and midfield to force them to come out(we have to deal with Rooney, Valencia and Van Persie anyway) and probe for an opening.

We're not playing Barca, this is David Moyes' United who didn't look anything like the United of the past decade or so in their opening games.

I think we have enough to give them a good game, we're better as a whole than last season, while they haven't strengthened, it's a home game and the supporters will be out in force- more so than usual.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 10:49:29 am by the_red_pill »
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: August 30, 2013, 10:32:43 am »
We should be going out and be playing for the 3 points. Not even a draw is acceptable. This is the best chance we have of beating them. They have David Moyes as their coach ffs.
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #197 on: August 30, 2013, 10:39:48 am »
We should be going out and be playing for the 3 points. Not even a draw is acceptable. This is the best chance we have of beating them. They have David Moyes as their coach ffs.
Zactly!

Under David Moyes, they're a mixed of Villa/Everton. Not Real Madrid. They're an away team at Anfield on a great day, ffs!

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: August 30, 2013, 10:54:22 am »
Hmmm.... I feel like I'm in the twilight zone here.

I thought we'd have to do without him for months?

We've had some luck go our way so far this season, here's hoping it continues! I mean, it has been a long time coming.