Author Topic: Never mind 4th or 5th, we could win the Europa League!  (Read 26011 times)

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
Re: Never mind 4th or 5th, we could win the Europa League!
« Reply #200 on: February 9, 2011, 03:34:29 am »
No we weren't! This time last year we were in a battle for 4th with City, Spurs and Villa.
Plus winning games in the Europa League...
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline Zack

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #201 on: February 9, 2011, 10:40:21 am »
I know lets have them both I'm greedy that way.
This.

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #202 on: February 10, 2011, 04:16:07 am »
I have always thought winning the Europa should be rewarded with a place in the following season's Champion's League.
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #203 on: February 10, 2011, 05:20:20 am »
I have always thought winning the Europa should be rewarded with a place in the following season's Champion's League.
I totally agree with you mate, but that would somehow show teams that being in it isn't something to be mocked by Uefa and all the "big" clubs.

I want to win it because i've always thought he Uefa cup was worth winning. I thought the same about the cup winners cup and the european cup. In fact any fucking cup is worth winning. Uefa though feel differently. It's like a guilty little secret that they don't really want people knowing about.

To anyone saying that it should be fucked off for fourth place, i bet you weren't saying that when this happened eh

Fucking bring it on. We'll win it and become the team to have won it the most!!

And then we'll get 4th as well and everyone in the whole world can do one.
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Today's newspaper, tomorrow's chip paper
« Reply #204 on: February 10, 2011, 05:23:10 am »
Brilliant. I'm having that with your (presumed) permission.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 05:24:45 am by Red number seven »
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

Offline jwlantz

• Kemlynite
  • I have a Dalglish man-crush.
« Reply #205 on: February 10, 2011, 05:33:36 am »
To anyone saying that it should be fucked off for fourth place, i bet you weren't saying that when this happened eh
The Champion's League is a high priority but the Premier League title should be our primary goal.  20 years is a long time to wait.
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him." — Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Jeff in the Q

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #206 on: February 10, 2011, 05:44:30 am »
Brilliant. I'm having that with your (presumed) permission.
If you feel so inclined to have my drivel as a sig, knock yourself out ;D

The Champion's League is a high priority but the Premier League title should be our primary goal.  20 years is a long time to wait.
Exactly. In the league the only position that we should be prioritising is 1st place. Uefa have somehow managed to make it acceptable for teams to stop looking at the top of the league and letting their sights stop at 4th due to the cash.

1st is all that matters, in both the league and any cup. Can we not just say that winning every game is our priority and leave it at that?
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline Rotation

• fuck u. Rory's biggest fan.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pepe Reina is a Scouser...
« Reply #207 on: February 10, 2011, 05:54:03 am »
They aren't mutually exclusive. champions league brings in revenue, revenue brings in talent, talent brings in trophies.
ynwa

Offline The Manhattan Project

• snood fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Have Become Death, The Destroyer Of Worlds
« Reply #208 on: February 10, 2011, 07:01:37 am »
We must win this trophy.

Europa League winners and a top 6 place will be incredible considering the doom and gloom of a few months ago.

china syndrome 810512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 59118 identification unknown 113
source transmission 4121 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 0101505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 010414 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave

Offline bobnot

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #209 on: February 10, 2011, 07:13:38 am »
The most important game to win is the next one thats it! heads down and concentrate on what we have to do to win the next game bugger the rest of football and what they are up to our next opponents are as far afield as we need to look.
we will see where that gets us after the season is done.

Offline NeilR

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #210 on: February 10, 2011, 04:28:44 pm »
We must win this trophy.

Europa League winners and a top 6 place will be incredible considering the doom and gloom of a few months ago.

Fully agree and for a while I thought I must be one of the few who, although would love to see us get 4th place this year, would prefer us to win the Europa league. Correct me if I'm worng but I thought Liverpool were all about winning trophies? I understand the importance of us being in the champions league for money and attracting players. But I'd rather win a european trophy (which has some prestige) and take the more patient view that this will still allow us to attract decent standard players for our rebuilding process (which is another reason why I can be patient as I realise we are in transition), and then really push for at least a CL place next year.

The buzz I get out of Liverpool winning trophies far out weighs anything I've ever felt for us finishing 3rd or 4th in the league. Its also been a few seasons since we won any silverware and there are a few players who deserve it. Might help to convince players to come and stay even with actual silverware on board (that isn't just the league cup or charity shield). It would show signs that we are heading in the right direction.

Dont get me wrong but I'd love that we did both. Its not impossible but it is difficult and our fate for the CL spot isn't in our own hands (At the moment). If I had to choose one, I'd pick winning the trophy this year and pushing on next season.