Author Topic: Never mind 4th or 5th, we could win the Europa League!  (Read 26021 times)

Offline Promised to never post on RAWK again

• Might be Estonian_Red, but I wouldn't trust a word he says. In fact don't trust anything anyone says... EVER.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
Re: Never mind 4th or 5th, we could win the Europa League!
« Reply #40 on: February 8, 2011, 05:06:52 pm »

In our current situation, getting the 4th spot is far more important than winning the Europa League ... Make no mistake, all top class players want to play in the Champions League, and no matter how much money we will have to spend in the summer, playing in the top European competition would make our life in the transfer market much easier ...
The internet is a bad place - People like Mac Red are on it.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: February 8, 2011, 05:09:03 pm »
In our current situation, getting the 4th spot is far more important than winning the Europa League ... Make no mistake, all top class players want to play in the Champions League, and no matter how much money we will have to spend in the summer, playing in the top European competition would make our life in the transfer market much easier ...

I don't think anyone doubts the importance of the Champions League, but we are an outside bet for that.

I for one doubt we will be playing weakened teams in the Europa League. We need that winning mentality back and we do that by winning trophies. We had the likes of Mascherano, Alonso, Torres, Gerrard and Reina in the team a couple of years back and won nothing. We cannot keep going through seasons without silverware.

Offline junior soprano

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: February 8, 2011, 05:09:42 pm »
not lookin that far ahead. The one thing i love about kenny is we are just lookin at the next game, nothing else. Bring on use wigan mother-fuckers!
Bada Bing!

Offline lfcls7

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • You dont realise how much you had until its gone
« Reply #43 on: February 8, 2011, 05:14:00 pm »
I think UEFA or whoever organises the Europa League and Champions League should make winning the Europa League mean a place in the Champions League the following season.  Imagine how much more importance and credibility it would give the Europa League.  As half the teams in the knock out rounds come from the CL anyway I think this would really liven up the Europa.  I mean we would put much more emphasis on it if this was the case wouldn't we?

Anyone agree?

i do, contact uefa? sumamt similar to the carling cup should be done to
You dont realise how much you love something until its gone. Rafael Benitez (L)

Fernando torres. = TWAT

Offline Robbie_9

• Legacy Fan
  • God is a Red.
« Reply #44 on: February 8, 2011, 05:17:29 pm »
See how we do next Thursday.
"The most important people at the club are the people that want to be here"
Kenny Dalglish

★  ★  ★  ★  ★

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #45 on: February 8, 2011, 05:17:49 pm »
Enter stage right, Buzz Killington.

I think some of you are getting carried away if you honestly think 4th place is attainable. Yes, the past month under Kenny has been better than I'd ever imagined it would be but we're a long way away from the quality of the teams occupying those places right now, even though we beat Chelsea away from home. 6th is the best we can hope for in my opinion, and I for one would be very happy with that and a good crack at the Europa League.

Offline PILLSBURY069

• Kopite
« Reply #46 on: February 8, 2011, 05:19:36 pm »
Honestly guys, we are Liverpool FC, you dont pick which one you want to achieve, you go out and achieve in both competitions. Winning is everything.
Who ate all the pies?????? I DID!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jim Pooley

• Not quite fit enough for walking football
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • Still can't afford an avatar.
« Reply #47 on: February 8, 2011, 05:23:09 pm »
Yeah, of course we'd all take 4th over the EL if we had the choice, but winning it would still be a fantastic way to cap a remarkable turnaround in our season.  It wouldn't do us any harm in the summer transfer window either.  What wouldn't you give to see Kenny lifting a trophy in May?

Offline Andyb

• Anny Roader
« Reply #48 on: February 8, 2011, 05:25:50 pm »

;D
we no longer dream    we realise this is reality....we are this good!

Offline Boggers

• Kemlynite
  • Starting to believe again
« Reply #49 on: February 8, 2011, 05:27:11 pm »
I'd love to twat Man City in this more than anything.

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #50 on: February 8, 2011, 05:27:21 pm »
Honestly guys, we are Liverpool FC, you dont pick which one you want to achieve, you go out and achieve in both competitions. Winning is everything.

This.
It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Offline Scarlet`

• Low profile with wide rims
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
    • Laconius Arts and Design
« Reply #51 on: February 8, 2011, 05:28:27 pm »
Is 4th Place + Europa Cup too much to ask for?  What about 3rd place + Europa Cup? ;)
If Ayre got £25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #52 on: February 8, 2011, 05:28:50 pm »
The Europa League is vitally important. Usually its the first trophy that is hardest to win and by getting this under our belt, we will not only satisfy players who want more medals, but also instill a sense of confidence and belief within the squad that you cannot get from league finishes alone.

Plus, we are LFC. We exist to win trophies. 4 years is too long a time for this club to have gone without one.

This ... all day long.

Only trouble we have now is that Suarez IS cup-tied in this comp so we'd deffo need Carroll fit for the latter stages.

4th spot AND Europa League winners?  Why not?  We're "in a "moment" (seems to be the current trendy catchphrase!)
« Last Edit: February 8, 2011, 05:31:28 pm by Red_Rich »
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline imnotcomingback

• Kopite
« Reply #53 on: February 8, 2011, 05:30:56 pm »
Defiantly doable, but our main focus should be on climbing up the table to 4th for CL.

100% without doubt.

I can understand people wanting the Europa League as it is a more instant form of gratification but in the grand scheme of things, 4th is much more important.
YNWA

Offline kkjellquist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: February 8, 2011, 05:31:42 pm »
6th is the best we can hope for in my opinion, and I for one would be very happy with that and a good crack at the Europa League.

Spurs and Chelsea are away this week while we have Wigan at home.  By Monday evening we could be 3 pts out of 4th. 

Instructions on how to get 4th and the EL trophy;
1. Beat Wigan
2. Beat Sparta Prague
3. Beat Sparta Pargue again
4. Repeat Steps 1-3 as needed.
"Statistics are like bikinis—they show a lot but not everything." - Lou Piniella

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: February 8, 2011, 05:31:47 pm »
Only trouble we have now is that Suarez IS cup-tied in this comp so we'd deffo need Carroll fit for the latter stages.

Not having him didn't seem to bother us against Chelsea or in the 2 matches before he came though.  Honestly think we'll be fine and I'd be exstatic if we won the Europa

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: February 8, 2011, 05:32:42 pm »
For me, seeing Kenny win a European trophy would be amazing.  I would happily take that over any spot in the league you offered me, with the exception of 1st.

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #57 on: February 8, 2011, 05:33:49 pm »
I can understand people wanting the Europa League as it is a more instant form of gratification but in the grand scheme of things, 4th is much more important.

There'd be few things more gratifying than making 4th at Chelsea and Spurs' expense.  Oh, that would be sweet!
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline Promised to never post on RAWK again

• Might be Estonian_Red, but I wouldn't trust a word he says. In fact don't trust anything anyone says... EVER.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
« Reply #58 on: February 8, 2011, 05:35:28 pm »
We had the likes of Mascherano, Alonso, Torres, Gerrard and Reina in the team a couple of years back and won nothing.

True ... And now, 3 of our 5 top class players are gone ... We need to replace them with other top class players, if we want to challenge for the LEAGUE TITLE again, just like that season you are talking about ... And top class players usually go to the clubs playing in the Champions League ... Therefore, winning the 4th spot this season is far more important than winning the Europa League ...
The internet is a bad place - People like Mac Red are on it.

Offline imnotcomingback

• Kopite
« Reply #59 on: February 8, 2011, 05:35:30 pm »

There'd be few things more gratifying than making 4th at Chelsea and Spurs' expense.  Oh, that would be sweet!

Indeed it would. Dont see why we cant do both though :)
YNWA

Offline LiverpoolKopKings

• "He got to Number One. Then into minus figures. Though nobody could understand why!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • Here's to win it before my expiry date!!!!
« Reply #60 on: February 8, 2011, 05:36:18 pm »
doable yes absolutely.
More important then 4th, hmm tricky.

what about winning next game and the next and the next ...... should lead somewhere

seen through a particular lense, this season was practically a rightoff, now thanks to that anything higher then 7th (of last year) is a massive success.

But our players must be so frustrated at the amount of games lost, and therefore so hungry to play good games and score and not conceed, that I dare say they are really concentrating on winning the next game.
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: February 8, 2011, 05:36:51 pm »
Right, so if we win this and finish fourth, we have to play in next years Europa League rather than Champions League? Can someone confirm this 'officially'? Because it sounds like a load of bollocks to me.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: February 8, 2011, 05:37:45 pm »
Right, so if we win this and finish fourth, we have to play in next years Europa League rather than Champions League? Can someone confirm this 'officially'? Because it sounds like a load of bollocks to me.

Do believe we'd have the choice wouldn't we?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: February 8, 2011, 05:39:24 pm »
True ... And now, 3 of our 5 top class players are gone ... We need to replace them with other top class players, if we want to challenge for the LEAGUE TITLE again, just like that season you are talking about ... And top class players usually go to the clubs playing in the Champions League ... Therefore, winning the 4th spot this season is far more important than winning the Europa League ...

That very well may be, but I don't see how we are in a position to prioritise anything. We should put all our efforts into winning every game that we play. We are an outside bet for fourth, so we shouldn't rest players in the Europa League. I don't think we will anyway.

Thing is, winning the Europa League may very well give us some of the qualities we need not only to challenge for trophies, but to actually win them. Something which even that team didn't do.

Offline El Rey, por favor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: February 8, 2011, 05:39:55 pm »
Me too but the standard is so weak in this competition we likely wont play a proper side til the QFs. We'll have a better idea of whether 4th is attainable by that point then.

Well it's Sparta Prague then either Lech Poznan or Braga in the next round, then we have the QF and the SF.
PLEASE DONATE TO MY LONDON MARATHON RUN IN AID OF CROHN'S AND COLITIS UK: http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=312885

Offline Britican

• Anny Roader
  • 96 - Forever Red, Forever Remembered
    • www.wellnesslifeforyou.com
« Reply #65 on: February 8, 2011, 05:40:20 pm »

Winning the Europa League, finishing 4th and knocking Chelsea out of next seasons CL would be a fantastic finish to what started as a diabolical season.
Quote from my wife: "I won't tell you what the final score was but you won't see any goals"

Offline sescobedo

• Boys Pen
  • Colorado Reds
« Reply #66 on: February 8, 2011, 05:42:01 pm »
Is 4th Place + Europa Cup too much to ask for?  What about 3rd place + Europa Cup? ;)

THIS..

If the mancs beat city this weekend, and we can win at home (based on recent form, this is plausible), we'd be 8 out of 3rd.  To be honest, we should be aiming for Man City as they have played the same amount of games.  Just as long as Chelsea do not win CL and finish 4th, Im happy.
“The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game.”
-Bill Shankly

• "He got to Number One. Then into minus figures. Though nobody could understand why!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: February 8, 2011, 05:42:04 pm »

Yes, HOWEVER, very young players, with huge glaring potential, might be convinced without the CL if they see clear upward spiral signs, backed by proof of stability in the ownership and managerial situations. If we settle the latter, can't see why the young right type of player wouldn't want to come to us.

How many more superstar players do you think that city can attract. One day, pretty much soon they'll have to deal with the fact that there is a certain limit as to how much money alone can attract. They've bought the fuck out of everyone, but although up there, can't really see them winning it.

IMO when you take the whole package, we are much more attractive.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #68 on: February 8, 2011, 05:42:04 pm »
Spurs and Chelsea are away this week while we have Wigan at home.  By Monday evening we could be 3 pts out of 4th. 

Instructions on how to get 4th and the EL trophy;
1. Beat Wigan
2. Beat Sparta Prague
3. Beat Sparta Pargue again
4. Repeat Steps 1-3 as needed.
I admire your optimism mate, I wish I had an ounce of it so football wasn't such a nightmare. Unfortunately last seasons run-in has stopped me from ever taking such a logical approach to the league table. I remember being (lurking) on these boards and seeing similar posts after impressive performances (for example, the 2-0 home win against Spurs) only for us to go and lose/draw the next match against lower table opposition.

Offline The Charlatan

• Main Stander
  • Rum te tum tum
« Reply #69 on: February 8, 2011, 05:43:33 pm »

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #70 on: February 8, 2011, 05:44:13 pm »
Having  booked accommodation and flights, I certainly hope we make the final!
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Online Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #71 on: February 8, 2011, 05:46:58 pm »
Personally I would prefer us to finish 4th. But if we do win it, then I'll be delighted
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: February 8, 2011, 05:51:45 pm »
I admire your optimism mate, I wish I had an ounce of it so football wasn't such a nightmare. Unfortunately last seasons run-in has stopped me from ever taking such a logical approach to the league table. I remember being (lurking) on these boards and seeing similar posts after impressive performances (for example, the 2-0 home win against Spurs) only for us to go and lose/draw the next match against lower table opposition.

But do you think that you can find the strength to be positve for the love of the team. We have been here before and hoped yes. But let me tell you, I am more positive now much more then 31st Dec of the season we came 2nd to manure.

Come on think positive, think that Wigan is the fuck CL final and take it from there. We are way past calculations and thinkering and projections.

The King said it best when he said that we must concentrate to win as many games as possible. WTF by season end, we'll be wanting the next one to be only hours away, let alone weeks. Trust me even if we still underacheive, right about now we have that "only if before" feeling about us, that we're gonna rare to start next season.

I just hope that FSG opt to keep the King.

Offline threeatatimejay

• Main Stander
  • 화이팅!
« Reply #73 on: February 8, 2011, 05:52:57 pm »
Europa League. Check.

Chelsea below us. Check.

Chelsea winning the CL. Fail.

;)

IA, I really think it's being generous to say they'll win the CL. I am of the opinion they haven't a snowball's chance in Hell.
"Give them a nice sendoff; wave with both hands!"

Offline nandolove

• Main Stander
  • 2-3, BELIEVE....
« Reply #74 on: February 8, 2011, 05:54:17 pm »
Don't know about others but I'd take CL football next season over winning the EL anyday.

This

But both would be sweet
Oh, how I now wish I hadn't chosen this username

Offline weezernumber5

• Anny Roader
    • twitter
« Reply #75 on: February 8, 2011, 05:55:19 pm »
Would be an epic piss up in Dublin.

I like this
"In the devalued currencies of punditry, Whelan is the Zimbabwean dollar, but he found a few places where his money was good last week."

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Fuller_n29

Offline the jesus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
"We just stand beside each other, and help each other. And we make sure that what we’re doing, we’re doing correctly"- Kenny

“When you’re lost in a fog you must stick together. Then you don’t get lost. If there’s one secret to Liverpool, that’s it.” - Bob

Offline mactifosi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: February 8, 2011, 05:58:16 pm »
I think UEFA or whoever organises the Europa League and Champions League should make winning the Europa League mean a place in the Champions League the following season.  Imagine how much more importance and credibility it would give the Europa League.  As half the teams in the knock out rounds come from the CL anyway I think this would really liven up the Europa.  I mean we would put much more emphasis on it if this was the case wouldn't we?

Anyone agree?

Or Even making the quarters or semis, would give teams a berth in the last play off round before the CL group stages.
That would really build the interest in the competition and perhaps help distribute some of the wealth?

Better than allocating quotas as the Eastern European nations have allegedly campaigned for.

Anyway, I do think we could win this without affecting our chances at 4th spot.
Would love to see Kenny lifting a Cup again.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: February 8, 2011, 05:58:28 pm »
Do believe we'd have the choice wouldn't we?

Well id fucking hope so! Im just wondering though because Ive seen people say in a few threads that we wouldnt get into the CL if the afore mentioned scenraio happened. Which I think is bullshit.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: February 8, 2011, 05:59:23 pm »
Shame you can't qualify for the cl by winning the europa like you used to be able to. Would give the competition far more appeal.

I don't think that winning the other cups ever meant you got a place in the european cup or champions league did it?