Author Topic: 5 days 'til the biggest game in club football  (Read 3070 times)

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
5 days 'til the biggest game in club football
« on: May 23, 2022, 09:21:06 pm »
...and we're competing in it.

There's no getting away from it. Yesterday was an absolute punch in the gut. All week pretty much all of us kept our heads together knowing that a miracle was unlikely. Yes, there was a fairytale storyline, but it was just that, a fairytale. And then, for a mind-altering hour, the fairytale was on. 0-1. 0-2...and it's Coutinho of all people. Could this actually be happening? All of a sudden we were right back on the edges of our seats. Yes, it might really be happening. Jesus fucking Christ, it's actually happening. Our own moment for the ages. Bang. Bang. Bang. All over in a flash. It's the hope that kills you.

Here we are, 5 days away from the biggest game in club football and it feels like we're on a downer. We've got two major trophies in the bag already. There is so much to celebrate. Sometimes the hardest thing in life is your heart telling your head that these are the good times and you should be enjoying them, but for some reason it doesn't sink in. Well let it sink in. We're chasing a cup treble in Paris against Real Madrid in 5 days time. 5 days.

There was a time not too long ago that we were buzzing just to have a Champions League qualifier to play. We should never take for granted what we have here at the moment. This is an unbelievable team doing unbelievable things. There should be no disappointment. Yesterday is done and it's on to the big one. You never know how long you might have to wait for another shot at the trophy that defines our club more than any other.

Yes, we're an online forum (a bloody brilliant one, mind you), and the players probably aren't sat around reading it. As far as we know, anyway. But we can't let yesterday put us in a slump as a fanbase and as a football club. Madrid will be flying heading into this final, absolutely full of belief. They're better rested, they've arrived into the final with a series of minor miracles behind them, they are the only club in Europe who can look at us calling ourselves the kings of Europe and scoff. We are a better team than them but they will have total confidence of getting the job done, and I genuinely believe it's that confidence flowing in their DNA that has been the biggest factor in their latest successes in the competition. We can't afford to come up against them flat. We should still feel invincible in spite of yesterday and carry that air of invincibility all the way to Paris. With the mood we've created in the last half of the season we have got it in us to absolute wipe these dickheads in white off the map.

We've had momentum on our side for pretty much 5 months. Everything has gone our way. Suddenly, there is a feeling of flatness. A feeling of hard luck. A feeling that things just don't seem to go our way at the final hurdle, and all of a sudden those near misses of 2009, 2014 and 2019 have had more airtime than the fact we're competing for a potential 7th European Cup in 5 (have I mentioned 5?) days time.

Yes, we were unlucky with the way things went yesterday. But the days of us being plucky underdogs and unlucky losers are gone. We've beaten Chelsea in two Wembley cup finals, in one of them all 11 of our players scored their penalties. In the other our second choice left back tucked home the winner. This team are a team of fucking giants. Fucking mentality monsters. They are absolute winners to the core. They've won everything there is to win under a manager who is second to nobody. And they're on their way to another European Cup final.

But football can change quickly. There is a danger that the disappointment of yesterday takes over. The fanbase feels flat. We all feel sorry for ourselves. We turn up at the final, players tired physically and mentally, and we let a Madrid team who master in picking at weaknesses add another scalp to their ridiculous European campaign. I'm confident Jurgen is doing his bit with the players. I do believe that the fanbase as a whole will play a part too. That's why Jurgen has always put emphasis on it. Doubters to believers and all that. Don't let the doubt creep in. This season of all seasons is no time to feel any doubt. Don't stew on yesterday for any longer. 5 days til the big one. And if we win it, nothing else will seem to matter.

These are the good times. Let it sink in. Up the fucking Reds.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 5 days 'til the biggest game in club football
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2022, 09:34:52 pm »
I've already forgotten yesterday. If United, Arsenal or any other proper club had pipped us I'd be devastated but honestly I really don't care as City aren't a proper club.

We are going to win number 7 and have an absolute monster parade with all 3 cups to celebrate and that's all there is to it  :wave
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2022, 09:47:02 pm »
I'm pumped. This is it! This is what football's all about - we're in the biggest game in the world! Cannot fucken wait.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2022, 10:02:53 pm »
Can't wait. The grandest stage in club football. The one competition that oil money can't buy.

Let's bring big ears home for a 7th time.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2022, 10:07:30 pm »
Nah, this is the big one, the love affair with ol big ears is what has defined this club for the last 45 years. The league is and always has been the bread and butter but it's Europe and the European Cup that all the romance and great nights have been found.

It's what made this club when our bread and butter disappeared. Amazing that no5 come at the midpoint of that 30 year barren run.

Istanbul will never be replaced as my greatest moment as a fan, and I'm sure it is the same for most my age, the ones who saw the last couple as kids then when through our teens with nothing.

You need heart and soul to win this competition which is why we need to give our boys as much support as possible. No 7 will still be the perfect end to a brilliant season, but it's gonna take everything they have left to get it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 10:11:01 pm by Mighty_Red »
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2022, 10:17:02 pm »
Always a buzz seeing the fan areas and videos coming in the day before the game.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2022, 10:51:35 pm »
Who would swap being a few minutes away from the CL final and fucking it up of your own making, to losing out on the title in disappointing circumstances in a situation where we did exactly what we needed to do.   Nobody.  City fans can enjoy their moment then watch us win number 7.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2022, 10:52:32 pm »
I know others often disagree, but this is the pinnacle for me and always has been.

If I had a straight choice between winning the league or winning Big Ears, it's Big Ears every time, especially as the PL monkey is off our back now.

I just love this stunningly beautiful trophy. I also love our enduring romance with it.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2022, 11:44:15 pm »
Ahh Paris in the springtime.

Its not Spring though.
Y.N.W.A.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2022, 11:50:30 pm »
Feels a completely different dynamic this time around. In 2019 there was three weeks from the last league game to the final, this time less than a week. My bottle is already well gone  ;D
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2022, 12:43:14 am »
Your Team Is Looking Good (2022)-The Black Keys

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2gJM4nrFLHI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2gJM4nrFLHI</a>
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Onward Liverpudlian

• Kopite
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2022, 01:37:22 am »
Someone asked me last week if I had to choose between City slipping up and us winning the league OR number 7, I chose number 7, my earliest memories of football growing up in the 70s was of those parades going up Utting Avenue and Arkles Lane, they stuck with me imprinted into my soul and I want another European Cup winning parade next Sunday albeit West Derby Road this time. Fuck the Premier League (Well until next season!) Also, us winning the CL annoys the fuck out of the bitters and mancs more than anything else, and we would be the first English team to win a treble treble (83/84, 00/01, 21/22), oh and it's time that somebody put cocky shithousery Real Madrids nose out of joint in this competition, who better than us?

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2022, 02:15:58 am »
I guess Pep will be rooting for Madrid. He just can't bear us winning that many CLs.
Believer

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2022, 03:17:56 am »
I know others often disagree, but this is the pinnacle for me and always has been.

If I had a straight choice between winning the league or winning Big Ears, it's Big Ears every time, especially as the PL monkey is off our back now.

I just love this stunningly beautiful trophy. I also love our enduring romance with it.

Same.

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2022, 03:26:31 am »
Feels a completely different dynamic this time around. In 2019 there was three weeks from the last league game to the final, this time less than a week. My bottle is already well gone  ;D
I was wondering about that earlier. The turnaround this year felt quick, and it looks like that’s the case.

Yesterday was a blow, but we have a chance to do something special. No doubt Klopp and the players will be mentally ready for this and will give it their all. Assuming Fabinho is back in training early this week, I think the side pretty much picks itself. I really hope Thiago is able to give us 60-70 minutes, but it seems like wishful thinking. As long as we start strong and don’t concede early, we’ll come away with #7.

2-1 to the reds. Mane opens the scoring, Van Dijk scores the second from a corner, and Madrid get one back late since we never make it easy  ;D
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline JohnSullie

• van, missing in burma, any news contact Dave, Grace n' Terry
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2022, 04:22:14 am »
Parlez-vous français ?

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2022, 06:20:02 am »
Just been doing some analysis of Real Madrid's games during the UCL knockout rounds and it's still befuddling how they've made it to the final.

The one thing that stands out most to me is how susceptible they are to low crosses into their box - almost all of City's goals at the Etihad came that way along with Havertz' at Stamford Bridge.  If only we had full backs that were really good at delivering balls into the box. ;D

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2022, 08:16:41 am »
I do think a lot of us, me included, are taking Real Madrid a little too lightly because they were the 2nd best team in pretty much every KO game this year.

But they have faced tough opposition and it thats why, Chelsea, PSG & Man City could also on their days make us 2nd best over 2 legs so we have to be wary.

I think Thiago is key for me, I go on very confident if he's fit, I go in scared if he isn't.

Overall I think we are the better team, but if Thiago doesn't start I think they have the best midfielder on the pitch, and we saw in Istanbul how key that is.

Up the reds.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2022, 08:22:52 am »

But they have faced tough opposition and it thats why, Chelsea, PSG & Man City could also on their days make us 2nd best over 2 legs so we have to be wary.

If I had to compare them to a PL team, my understanding of them would be similar to spurs. Some very good forwards, their best bet against us probably sitting back and hitting us on the break, capable of turning in absolute stinkers but also of beating the very best teams.

Is this the official unofficial pre match thread now then?

Either way, up the reds.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Online RedSamba

• Legacy Fan
  • EUROPEAN ROYALTY
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2022, 08:34:37 am »
If I had to compare them to a PL team, my understanding of them would be similar to spurs. Some very good forwards, their best bet against us probably sitting back and hitting us on the break, capable of turning in absolute stinkers but also of beating the very best teams.

Either way, up the reds.

comparing Real Madrid to Spurs  :lmao

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2022, 08:35:07 am »
I'd still prefer to win the League, it's what the 9 months is all about, the European Cup is the icing on the cake. I grew up when the European Cup was an exclusive club, one where only League Champions were allowed entry, so for that reason it's always been a special trophy for me.

2005 is my least favourite European Cup win, as we were not a good team at the time, however we qualified under the rules, so we deserved our shot. 2019 and now are way different for me, as we were/are the best team in Europe and as the competition is now open to all and sundry, then the Final deserves the best possible finalists and its got that this year. European Royalty, two elite clubs, 19 wins between them, such a stark contrast to last year's debacle.

Nervous about this one, we've seen how Real Madrid just will not accept defeat, so we have to be right on it from the kick off, no conceding early like Sunday, no quick one two goals like Milan, everyone needs to be on their game and the forwards all need to be clinical. We're more than capable of doing the business and Madrid know that we are capable of destroying them.

It's going to be a great night and I can't wait for it.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline VictoryFor96

• Main Stander
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2022, 08:54:55 am »
if we win this one there will be another chance to win 2 more trophies.

Uefa super cup and club world cup

happy fuckin days  :wave

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2022, 08:55:29 am »

Either way, up the reds.
The official Pre Match will be up later this morning
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2022, 09:01:20 am »
I'd still prefer to win the League, it's what the 9 months is all about, the European Cup is the icing on the cake. I grew up when the European Cup was an exclusive club, one where only League Champions were allowed entry, so for that reason it's always been a special trophy for me.

2005 is my least favourite European Cup win, as we were not a good team at the time, however we qualified under the rules, so we deserved our shot. 2019 and now are way different for me, as we were/are the best team in Europe and as the competition is now open to all and sundry, then the Final deserves the best possible finalists and its got that this year. European Royalty, two elite clubs, 19 wins between them, such a stark contrast to last year's debacle.

Nervous about this one, we've seen how Real Madrid just will not accept defeat, so we have to be right on it from the kick off, no conceding early like Sunday, no quick one two goals like Milan, everyone needs to be on their game and the forwards all need to be clinical. We're more than capable of doing the business and Madrid know that we are capable of destroying them.

It's going to be a great night and I can't wait for it.
Maybe it's an age thing but I see the league as our bread and butter too.  Love big ears as I do, I suspect when all the dust settles over the next few weeks I'll still be annoyed about Sunday, particularly the timings and how it unfolded.

I have huge hopes for Saturday but at the same time I'm not confident.  We don't seem to have had our rhythm since the Spuds game and the players all look tired.  Teams have looked increasingly like catching us on the break as well, whether this is fatigue related, Virgil related, I don't know but if any team is going to be clinical in those situations it's Real.

I'd love to see a comfortable win in a final for us but this won't be it.  I'm as nervous as you Rob.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline M4tt

• Anny Roader
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2022, 09:14:30 am »
I can't wait for this. I really hope we get the revenge we deserve

also it took something away from our victory in my head when Chelsea won last season. Hoping this team can get their second CL and elevate their statuses higher, and then we have a minimum of 4 years of klopp left to get a third  ;D

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2022, 09:18:39 am »
Last couple days been thinking about the league...not there yet on the CL but am sure by the end of the week will be up for it!

That's the benefit of the effort these lads have put in this season, to play on the biggest stage and well deserved too. We are the best team in the world and we will prove it on Saturday
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Xink

• Main Stander
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2022, 09:22:22 am »
Maybe it's an age thing but I see the league as our bread and butter too.  Love big ears as I do, I suspect when all the dust settles over the next few weeks I'll still be annoyed about Sunday, particularly the timings and how it unfolded.

I have huge hopes for Saturday but at the same time I'm not confident.  We don't seem to have had our rhythm since the Spuds game and the players all look tired.  Teams have looked increasingly like catching us on the break as well, whether this is fatigue related, Virgil related, I don't know but if any team is going to be clinical in those situations it's Real.

I'd love to see a comfortable win in a final for us but this won't be it.  I'm as nervous as you Rob.

I remember having a pretty negative feeling before the 2007 final & pretty apprehensive  about this one too so hoping that's proved wrong.
On the plus side It's Madrid and not City - so that's some sort of fall back at least!

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2022, 09:23:59 am »
European royalty too.

People will talk about midfield, and they've got two and maybe even three of the best CMs of the last few decades. But even if Thiago isn't fit, even Fab too, and we lose the midfield battle.....the rest of their team is far, far different to when we lost the midfield battle to them before. Peak Varane, peak Ramos, peak Marcelo, peak Ronaldo, peak Bale, peak Carvajal. They havent got that now, and frankly our attack should have too much.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2022, 09:32:04 am »
comparing Real Madrid to Spurs  :lmao

ha ha - fair - there's obviously lots of differences. But just the threat they carry and their set up I meant. Certainly not their heritage, in which they are quite literally the anti spurs.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline TheMan

• Main Stander
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2022, 09:34:35 am »
I have a feeling this is going to pens. Not sure if I can stand another 120 minutes of tension though. It would really really hurt to lose to this team but if we can reinvigorate ourselves and show our usual levels of energy and dynamism then we can certainly win in 90 minutes.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2022, 09:37:38 am »
Can't say I'm not fussed about losing the league, only because the door was left open for a while and we all got a sniff of intoxicating madness beyond - but I'm not deflated in any way. This team and this season are simply too good to lose sleep over it and with Paris ahead it could yet be even better. We have what it takes to win, we're playing against a great team and it's what dreams are made of. By the time it kicks off - I'll be equal parts anxiety and roaring passion. League is over, on we go.

Offline Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2022, 09:58:25 am »
It's going to be a long week.

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2022, 10:01:40 am »
Age? Yes, of course the league is our bread and butter, I agree. But Champions League is... prestigious for me. A class on it's own.

Organised by the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) and contested by top-division European clubs.

You have got to play around Milan, Paris, Madrid, Lisbon, Piraeus (Attica), Athens, Istanbul and the list goes on. As I said, prestigious.

While in the league you have to beat the likes of Norwich, Watford, Burnley and Pitch Invasion Football Club...

p/s: For sure, I would be really really happy if we win the league too. No mistake about that.
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2022, 11:35:44 am »
Age? Yes, of course the league is our bread and butter, I agree. But Champions League is... prestigious for me. A class on it's own.

Organised by the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) and contested by top-division European clubs.

You have got to play around Milan, Paris, Madrid, Lisbon, Piraeus (Attica), Athens, Istanbul and the list goes on. As I said, prestigious.

While in the league you have to beat the likes of Norwich, Watford, Burnley and Pitch Invasion Football Club...

p/s: For sure, I would be really really happy if we win the league too. No mistake about that.

Shankly disagrees with you - which is why I said perhaps this is an age thing.  Although football and Champions League qualification requirements have changed over time, I still can't help but agree with him.  The league is 38 games and the cups are knockouts so luck should be less of an issue in a league format.

“I would like to win the European Cup, naturally, because that’s the ultimate in Europe; but the main thing – our bread and butter – is this: [points to the league trophy]. That’s what we want to win all the time.

"Never mind Europe. It’s been a great thing for Liverpool and a great thing for the country, but this is our bread and butter, and this is the one we want”.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2022, 11:38:55 am »
It's going to be a long week.

It really is. I've invited friends over to watch this, was going to go out somewhere but I'm so nervy and unsettled before a game I need something to distract myself - a nice BBQ will do the trick.

I'm actually gutted this will be the last game I get watch Liverpool play in a while. What a season it's been.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2022, 12:31:14 pm »
It really is. I've invited friends over to watch this, was going to go out somewhere but I'm so nervy and unsettled before a game I need something to distract myself - a nice BBQ will do the trick.

I'm actually gutted this will be the last game I get watch Liverpool play in a while. What a season it's been.

I was going to watch it in the pub but I'm worried about the people who'll have to scrape me off the floor if it goes to penalties.

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2022, 12:43:25 pm »
Weird one:

Against Madrid in 2018 I had tickets to a gig that I ended up missing due to the final. We all know what happened then.

Against Madrid in 2022 I have tickets to a gig that I can't miss, regardless of the final. Opposite result? We'll see.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2022, 01:03:26 pm »
Shankly disagrees with you - which is why I said perhaps this is an age thing.  Although football and Champions League qualification requirements have changed over time, I still can't help but agree with him.  The league is 38 games and the cups are knockouts so luck should be less of an issue in a league format.

“I would like to win the European Cup, naturally, because that’s the ultimate in Europe; but the main thing – our bread and butter – is this: [points to the league trophy]. That’s what we want to win all the time.

"Never mind Europe. It’s been a great thing for Liverpool and a great thing for the country, but this is our bread and butter, and this is the one we want”.

Things have changed since then. The only way to become a truly truly great team is to win the European Cup. It's the greatest competition in the world with the best teams in the world in it.

Average teams like Manchester City and PSG get found in the Champions League because it's a much higher level of football.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2022, 04:15:15 pm »
Completely agree, things have changed and it's a far different time to when Shanks said that in the early 70s. I don't actually disagree with the league being our 'bread and butter' but I'd certainly prefer to win the European Cup. I've actually seen more people in recent years say they'd rather win the league, I feel 10/15/20 years ago most seemed to say the Champions League despite the growing wait for the league title. Again I can understand why people say the league but for me the ultimate prestige is to be the finest in Europe, which makes you the best in the world anyway.

I couldn't honestly tell you how many league titles say Barcelona/Bayern Munich/PSG/Man City have won. I can tell you how many European trophies they've won, however. I agree with the comment below about City and PSG being found out in Europe. Liverpool found out a few times under Shanks that we weren't yet up to the task in the 60s and 70s, despite being robbed against Inter we were hammered by Ajax and Red Star. Eventually we put it right. The difference with City and PSG is it's genuinely shameful they've not been able to win one between them yet.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 04:18:07 pm by disgraced cake »
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.