Author Topic: AC Milan vs Liverpool, San Siro on Tuesday, 7 Dec 2021, KO at 8 PM  (Read 12863 times)

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
AC Milan vs Liverpool, San Siro on Tuesday, 7 Dec 2021, KO at 8 PM

This fixture, under anything but these circumstances, would have been an important fixture in the season. A European match, against traditional European heavyweights, playing for the first time ever in their historical stadium and with 3 points at stake, would normally be a fixture that we would all be looking to get a big performance and a crucial win. However, considering how the season has played out so far, we had already qualified for the knockout rounds with two rounds to spare, which is a rarity considering how we always bring things to the last minute or the last game. And currently, we have won all 5 CL games this season, which means this game is a dead rubber from Liverpool's perspective, with all due respect to the money we get for winning each CL game.

However, AC Milan have all to play for. They are currently 3rd in the group and they would need to better Porto's result in the other game to qualify for the next round. All the other 3 teams in the group are in a tight spot and all of them have a chance to go through to the next round. From Serie-A perspective, AC Milan are sitting 1 point ahead at the Top of the Table, while Liverpool are 1 point behind the PL leaders Manchester City.

Regarding the occasion, there are a combined 13 European Cups won by the two sides. Considering that, it is interesting to note that these two sides have only met thrice before in offical games, two of them in previous European Cup/CL finals, which both sides share a record of 1-1, and once earlier this season at Anfield, which we won 3-2 in a thrilling encounter, where some of our early season defensive frailties were exposed.

The CL final in 2005 is considered to be one of the best European Cup finals ever, if not the best, for the drama, for the goals, for the comeback and for several unflinching performances on the day. That AC Milan side was considered to be the best side around at that time and books will continue to be written on how they raced to 3-0 lead in the first half, only to be pegged by the roaring Reds, with a comeback masterminded by one of their greatest ever players in Steven Gerrard with important contributions from other players. The second half and extra time was notable for how valiantly Carragher defended despite cramps, how well Gerrard adapted to a role at RB and marshaled his side and for the crucial double saves by Dudek. And then while our penalty takers did their jobs well, Dudek recreated the wobbly legs as suggested by Carragher and was successfully able to thwart two of the opposition's penalties to secure a historic triumph for Liverpool. The day was also known for the support shown by the travelling Liverpool supporters, in a way that will never be forgotten. Songs were sung of the team's praise despite trailing 3-0 at HT and being outclassed by a superior Milan side.

While that game and that CL triumph will never be forgotten by any Liverpool supporter, this game also has its own significance as this is the first time we play at San Siro, a historical stadium and hopefully will be a good experience for the travelling supporters.

Coincidentally, after this game, Liverpool take on Aston Villa managed by none other than Steven Gerrard, who masterminded that win as a player and as a leader along with manager Rafa Benitez. Jurgen Klopp will have to think of that upcoming game and the subsequent PL games which will come thick and fast and might consider rotating heavily.

As for injuries and suspensions, James Milner is suspended, while Keita, Firmino, Jones and Elliot remain injured for Liverpool. Kjaer, Castillejo, Rebic, Calabria and Giroud remain injured for AC Milan. 

Referee
Danny Makkelie NED

Assistant referees
Hessel Steegstra NED
Jan de Vries NED

Fourth official
Dennis Higler NED

Video Assistant Referee
Pol van Boekel NED

Assistant Video Assistant Referee
Rob Dieperink NED

Welcome to discuss the lineups, predictions, tactics and the game all you want.
« Last Edit: December 6, 2021, 09:41:32 am by PoetryInMotion »

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
Re: AC Milan vs Liverpool, San Siro on Tuesday, 7 Dec 2021, KO at 8 PM
« Reply #1 on: December 6, 2021, 09:40:33 am »
Thanks P.I.M. Lovely OP - always good to think back to '05.

What a relief that tomorrow's game is a dead rubber - not that the management will be soft about the prep. Winning 6/6 would be brilliant...and lucrative. Helps that it's Tuesday game in terms of getting ready for Gerrard's Villa on Sat.

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #2 on: December 6, 2021, 09:41:57 am »
+ Liverpool Echo: "AC Milan role in Liverpool change explained as 'massive step forward' welcomed"

Their (Milan) struggles in recent years were far removed from the glory days of the late 1980s and early 1990s under influential coach Arrigo Sacchi, who fashioned a team that won the European Cup in 1989 and 1990 and were also twice world champions.

And Liverpool assistant Lijnders has explained how the principles instilled by Sacchi have fashioned the approach of Jurgen Klopp and his coaching staff.

"For me personally it's special (facing Milan), because of the Dutch influence in this club: (Frank) Rijkaard, (Marco) Van Basten and (Ruud) Gullit together in an organised team who inspired and innovated the world of football," said Lijnders.

"Secondly, it's special because this Liverpool team also has been inspired by the Milan of Arrigo Sacchi, for sure. Jurgen has said before that many of the foundations of his philosophy were based on the principles of the Milan coach."

-- Pep Lijnders --
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 6, 2021, 09:53:58 am »
Two European heavyweights, I'm looking forward to sitting back and watching this one.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: December 6, 2021, 10:00:28 am »
Two European heavyweights, I'm looking forward to sitting back and watching this one.

Withe the exception of the Inter v Real Madrid (16 titles) there's no bigger game in Europe this week.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #5 on: December 6, 2021, 10:08:21 am »
Well Milan now have Messias Jnr playing for them (on loan from Crotone) so I'm excited for this.

Nice to have the ability to play this match without pressure, perhaps some of the big guns can be subbed around 60 mins if we're doing okay.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 6, 2021, 10:20:47 am »
Great team, great city, great stadium.
Hope everyone has a good time in Milan
Thanks PinMotion for the OP

Offline ConqueredAllOfEurope

• Shit, just realised I can have a custom title...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 6, 2021, 10:21:47 am »
So Origi first name on the team sheet for this right...  ;D
"We have to change from doubter to believer... now"

Offline VVM

• Kopite
  • OVER AN HOUR LEFT ESTIMATED TIME
« Reply #8 on: December 6, 2021, 10:27:53 am »
Didn't mind us going a bit stronger than maybe most would have liked against Porto but hope we rotate even further for this one. Leave anyone who needs a rest at home.

Kelleher
Neco
Konate
Gomez (Phillips if Gomez not fit)
Tsimikas
Ox
Morton
One of Henderson or Thiago
Origi
Minamino
One of Salah, Mane, Jota

Maybe a chance to get a few minutes in the tank for Jones and/or Keita. Believe Milner is suspended for this one.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #9 on: December 6, 2021, 10:32:56 am »

"For me personally it's special (facing Milan), because of the Dutch influence in this club: (Frank) Rijkaard, (Marco) Van Basten and (Ruud) Gullit together in an organised team who inspired and innovated the world of football," said Lijnders.

"Secondly, it's special because this Liverpool team also has been inspired by the Milan of Arrigo Sacchi, for sure. Jurgen has said before that many of the foundations of his philosophy were based on the principles of the Milan coach."[/i]

-- Pep Lijnders --

I thought his philosopher was based on the principles of Ralf Rangnick.

Thanks for the OP. Two of the Big Three meet. It's bound to be good.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 6, 2021, 11:08:50 am »
Didn't mind us going a bit stronger than maybe most would have liked against Porto but hope we rotate even further for this one. Leave anyone who needs a rest at home.

Kelleher
Neco
Konate
Gomez (Phillips if Gomez not fit)
Tsimikas
Ox
Morton
One of Henderson or Thiago
Origi
Minamino
One of Salah, Mane, Jota

Maybe a chance to get a few minutes in the tank for Jones and/or Keita. Believe Milner is suspended for this one.

Jones is still out I believe. Henderson and Thiago have played a lot of football the last couple of weeks. I’d like them both to have a break. Annoying that Milner got himself a booking. He’d have been more useful in this game than in the last 16, unless we have an injury crisis.

Offline flyingcod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Barry Davies: "It's the old, old story yet again."
« Reply #11 on: December 6, 2021, 11:12:37 am »
Jones is still out I believe. Henderson and Thiago have played a lot of football the last couple of weeks. I’d like them both to have a break. Annoying that Milner got himself a booking. He’d have been more useful in this game than in the last 16, unless we have an injury crisis.

Milly deliberately got himself booked/suspended to wipe out his yellow cards for the knock out stages.

fc
Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt - Bill Shankly

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 6, 2021, 11:23:52 am »
Would leave almost everyone who started v Wolves back in Liverpool

Kelleher
Williams-Konate-Phillips-Tsimikas
Ox-Henderson-Morton
Minamino-Jota-Origi

Henderson & Jota both off on 45/60 etc.
Gomez & Keita off the bench if possible

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: December 6, 2021, 11:25:31 am »
If we want to rest either of them just bring in someone like Dixon-Bonner of any academy player.

Offline RedSamba

• Legacy Fan
  • EUROPEAN ROYALTY
« Reply #14 on: December 6, 2021, 11:32:51 am »
+ Liverpool Echo: "AC Milan role in Liverpool change explained as 'massive step forward' welcomed"

Their (Milan) struggles in recent years were far removed from the glory days of the late 1980s and early 1990s under influential coach Arrigo Sacchi, who fashioned a team that won the European Cup in 1989 and 1990 and were also twice world champions.

And Liverpool assistant Lijnders has explained how the principles instilled by Sacchi have fashioned the approach of Jurgen Klopp and his coaching staff.

"Secondly, it's special because this Liverpool team also has been inspired by the Milan of Arrigo Sacchi, for sure. Jurgen has said before that many of the foundations of his philosophy were based on the principles of the Milan coach."

-- Pep Lijnders --

wait, you mean to tell me it was not inspired by the mighty Ralf?  ::)

« Reply #15 on: December 6, 2021, 11:40:16 am »
I'd rest as many players as possible for this one

Kelleher
Neco Konate Gomez Tsimikas
Morton
Oxlade Keita
Takumi Origi Mane

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 6, 2021, 11:40:23 am »
Momentum is great but yeah I hope we rotate a ton, we absolutely can change a lot of players and remain competitive.

Kelleher, Williams, Konate, Gomez/Phillips, Tsimikas, Morton, AoC, Minamino, Origi.

Then maybe Salah/Jota and Thiago/Henderson could get a half each since we have 5 subs? Keita a possibility too since he's back in training.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 6, 2021, 11:40:43 am »
wait, you mean to tell me it was not inspired by the mighty Ralf?  ::)

Wasn't it Wolfgang Frank who was Jurgen's mentor?

Online End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: December 6, 2021, 12:29:24 pm »
In gary oldman leon delivery, rest, everyone.
No time for caution.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #19 on: December 6, 2021, 12:36:50 pm »
Going full strength and unchanged Wednesday and Saturday with two big away games pretty much confirms we'll make a lot of changes for this.

It's the balance of finding a team that can be competitive in the game.

We'll change the back four and at least two of the front three. Midfield is difficult because of injuries and Milner getting himself suspended, as this would have been ideal for him to get his fitness up and to have his experience in there, especially if Morton starts. Don't want Fab/Hendo or Thiago playing in this, but one of them might start now, maybe depending on where Keita and Jones are at.

We'll make probably 8 or 9 changes.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #20 on: December 6, 2021, 12:51:42 pm »
Neil Jones commented as follows:

Joe Gomez and Naby Keita training at Kirkby this afternoon. Expect them to travel to Milan.

No Henderson, Thiago or Jota in the session from what I can see. 

Klopp press conference coming up around 2pm.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Darkness

• Tedious WUM, loves betting on Man U
  • Main Stander
« Reply #21 on: December 6, 2021, 12:58:21 pm »
I've never wanted Liverpool to lose a game more than this one, if we lose Atletico can't go through and we don't need a result as we have already won the group
« Last Edit: December 6, 2021, 01:02:52 pm by Darkness »

Offline MH41

• Kopite
« Reply #22 on: December 6, 2021, 01:01:10 pm »
A game for Big Nat? To put the ego, that is Ibrahimovic, in his place!(if playing)
His apparent lack of speed should not be an issue here either, and will give the likes of Maldini and Baresi the opportunity to watch him play at the San Siro!
I jest. But not totally, lol. Would anyone else play him?

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 6, 2021, 01:07:53 pm »
I've never wanted Liverpool to lose a game more than this one, if we lose Atletico can't go through and we don't need a result as we have already won the group

I can think of one.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline emitime

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #24 on: December 6, 2021, 01:09:21 pm »
This is the first time we've played Milan at the San Siro but we've played Inter there a few times.

The slightly suspicious loss back in 65 and a Torres winner in 2008.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #25 on: December 6, 2021, 01:15:53 pm »
A game for Big Nat? To put the ego, that is Ibrahimovic, in his place!(if playing)
His apparent lack of speed should not be an issue here either, and will give the likes of Maldini and Baresi the opportunity to watch him play at the San Siro!
I jest. But not totally, lol. Would anyone else play him?

I would. Joel and Virgil need a rest and Joe is not yet fully fit.

Ibou and Nat? Why not?

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: December 6, 2021, 01:19:20 pm »
Joe has been in full practices for several days - he may not be in prime shape - but should be ready to start.

Ibou is nailed on.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: December 6, 2021, 01:20:22 pm »
Great OP PiM!

Like you say, would have probably expected there to be qualification riding on this for us when the draw was made so it's not quite the match up it could have been (thank goodness for that!).

Still excited though, even without the worry about qualification :)
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: December 6, 2021, 01:26:52 pm »
This is football heritage...play the kids.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: December 6, 2021, 01:29:34 pm »
This is the first time we've played Milan at the San Siro but we've played Inter there a few times.

The slightly suspicious loss back in 65 and a Torres winner in 2008.

Ibrahimovic played in that game too didn't he? Remember him skying a chance over in the first half.

Here's to him being in Nat Phillips' pocket tomorrow.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: December 6, 2021, 01:31:47 pm »

Kelleher
Morton
Oxlade Keita
Takumi Origi Mane

Yeah i think that's still a very good side to be honest.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #31 on: December 6, 2021, 01:38:19 pm »
This is football heritage...play the kids.

That word has become a mockery of itself since Mourinho said it.

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #32 on: December 6, 2021, 01:42:42 pm »

Nah, I hope we smash them with a weakened team to our normal starting 11 and just hope Porto beat, or at least draw with Atletico.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #33 on: December 6, 2021, 02:15:51 pm »
Klopp confirms there’s going to be more youngsters involved in at least the squad tomorrow. So expect a fair few left behind.
AHA!

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: December 6, 2021, 02:40:44 pm »

Not sure that statement is entirely true. If both AC Milan and Atletico Madrid win, it will go down to goal difference where AC Milan have +1 on them. I actually don't care who goes through but do know this. If Atletico do go through, their next opponents do not get an easy ride. If either Porto or AC Milan go through, it almost guarantees their opponent( as group winners) to go through. So not sure why we wouldn't wish Atlectico Madrid on either Man City, Chelsea or Man Utd.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: December 6, 2021, 02:43:13 pm »
Is San Siro still at the 70K capacity or something? That would be great experience for many of the lads tomorrow.  ;D

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #36 on: December 6, 2021, 02:48:50 pm »
Is San Siro still at the 70K capacity or something? That would be great experience for many of the lads tomorrow.  ;D

I don't know what the restrictions are but capacity around 80k

With it being Liverpool and qualification on the line they'll shift every ticket you'd think. Their biggest European game in a decade.

It would have been half empty and a damp squib had they not scored late at Atleti.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: December 6, 2021, 02:50:59 pm »
The stadium is in a bad shape though mate, needs major renovations. That's why both AC and Inter are moving and the stadium being flattened. 

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #38 on: December 6, 2021, 02:53:31 pm »

Kelleher
Morton
Oxlade Keita
Takumi Origi Mane

Good side that. Would be happy to play that as no other option to play one of front 3.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: December 6, 2021, 02:53:56 pm »
Did the stadium tour at the San Siro a couple years back. Great, imposing old building - a real footballing castle but the signs of wear and tear both inside and outside are so clear. Even the players changing rooms aren’t far off something you’d expect at your local Sunday league team.