Author Topic: LC: Norwich 0 v 3 Liverpool 4’ 79’ Minamino 50’ Origi  (Read 34524 times)

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
LC: Norwich 0 v 3 Liverpool 4’ 79’ Minamino 50’ Origi
« on: September 19, 2021, 12:19:35 pm »
                                                        Bring on your Internazionale,
                                                    Bring on your Roma by the score,
                                                         Barcelona, Real Madrid,
                                                    Who the fuck you trying to kid
                                           Cos Liverpool are the team that I adore….

Come on you yellows….

Well we’ve had the bells ’n’ whistles. The return of the Reds to battle for the League, The Holy Grail. The massive highs of coming home, to the heartlands of Anfield, to the people. The glad rags, garlands and garnishings of a major Champions League showdown with AC Milan. Rattling the bones of memories, songs of spirit, of the tribe, echoing round the old ground. We’re bouncing already, we’ve already had another great comeback.

But enough of that. Arguably the most pointless game of our season happens on Tuesday night. Lucky me.

This week we've got Norwich City in The League Cup. Or is it the League Cup which used be The Capital One Cup ? The Carling Cup, Worthington Cup, Coca Cola Cup, Rumbelows Cup, Littlewoods Challenge Cup and, at a time when we were dominant, the good old Milk Cup.

Liverpool’s run, in the era of The Milk Cup was formidable. Between 1980 and 1984 Liverpool played 42 matches in this competition, losing just one leg of a double header along the way. We won it 4 consecutive times. It really mean’t something (to me) then. There were many battles, replays, even second replays. Mud, mist, mentality and muscle. They beat good teams in the finals, twice going to replays to do it. Everton, Manchester Utd, Spurs and West Ham.

Kenny’s equalising goal, a fantastic volley from a sublime chip from Terry Mac in the replay against West Ham is, for me, one of the great goals. Treat yourself, find it. The game was at Villa Park, a proper ground, proper atmosphere, a tight, tough game, proper teams.

Funnily enough we met Norwich City in the competition on that run. On 30th of November 1982, in the fourth round, 13,235 souls probably froze while watching The Reds win 2-0. It was Thatcher time, The Falklands War, recession, unrest, intentional degradation. If ever the city needed a boost it was then. Can you guess the 12 that played that night for Bob Paisley’s Reds ?
Bruce in goal, Phil Neal, Alan Kennedy, Phil Thompson, Alan Hansen, Mark Laurenson, Kenny Dalglish, Craig Johnson, Sammy Lee, Rushey and one Graeme Souness. The twelfth man was David Fairclough, whirling spindles himself. He scored, as he often did, coming on as a sub for Mark Laurenson, the other scorer. Real footballers one and all.

George Sephton was up in the Gods that night, spinning. Even the music of that era has endured. I checked the top 50 that week. Here’s my George top 5 playlist that night,

Back on the chain gang (The Pretenders)
                                                            Mirror Man (The Human League)
                                                            Mad World (Tears for Fears)
                                                            I don’t wanna dance (Eddy Grant)
                                                            Pass The Dutchie (Musical Youth)

Those were the days my friend. We thought they’d never end.

So to Tuesday’s Sky’s soccer-ball match-up. It’s safe to say Jurgan hasn’t gone balls out for this particular competition. Under him, in 5 seasons we’ve managed 12 matches. (In 1983-84 it took The Reds 13 matches alone to swig milk from the Cup). True, we’ve beaten the mighty MK Dons, hammered Lincoln and thrashed Southampton in 3 of our 4 victories. We generally draw and go out on pennos and we have been dumped out by a few of the big hitters. Not stellar but often fun.

Checking through Jurgan’s teams, in fairness, when he can, he does put out interesting talented, mixed teams. So who’s gonna play on Tuesday. Before yesterday’s game I thought maybe Milner plays and captains….
                                                                            Kelleher,
                                                        Neco ?      Joe,    Konaté,     Kostas ?
                                                                      Curtis  ?????   Naki
                                                                     Taki   Big Divock  Ox                                 

But now I doubt Milner plays on Tuesday. Nabi’s on a hot streak so he starts for me, as do Ox, Taki and Curtis, Left fullback Kostas played yesterday also so now I am not so sure. I hope Fabinho does not play. It could be we get an U23 player or 2 at fullback. Over to you folks….

As for our hosts. Tucked in comfortably in 20th place in the league with 2 goals scored and 14 conceded, it’s business as usual for Norwich.

I checked on Farke and the teams he has put out in this competition while playing top flight football. Unsurprisingly he’s gone full rotation both times. Mind you they whacked Bournemouth 6-0 in round 2 with a team full of players none of whom I recognised beyond Brandon Williams. So somewhere in this squad there are goals. Perhaps it will be a reunion of a sort for Mr Kavak who quietly impressed in his brief mother Theresa trip to Anfield’s centre half vacuum last season.

My wild guess is he will likely go with the same(ish) second team and try and get a few players to give it a go, live on Sky, to force themselves into the first team.
In reality it’s a bit of a free hit for both managers because, let’s face it, beyond manic Pep and his puppet masters, this is a fun night out for everyone these days. Times have indeed changed.

I am, all the same, looking forward to it. I just love watching this team, whoever is playing and, in fairness to Norwich, they do tend to want to play football too. So 7.45pm, Tuesday night, live on Sky there’s going to be goals and a kit change.
Enjoy.

Ref, Darren England,

Linesmen, Harry Lennard and Peter Kirkup

Fourth Official : Andre Marriner and a flock of seagulls

I’ll leave you with a blast from the past .. Chrissie Hynde and some of the sounds that boomed around a half - empty, dark, early winter’s night at Anfield, when King Kenny reigned. Shadows from the past circling out there in the dark beyond the glowing glitz of the show.

I found a picture of you, oh oh oh oh
                                                            What hijacked my world that night
                                                            To a place in the past we've been cast out of? oh oh oh oh
                                                            Now we're back in the fight

We're back on the train
                                                            Oh, back on the …….

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
Re: Norwich vs Liverpool, Tuesday September 21st, 7.45pm
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 12:52:14 pm »
Kelleher, Trent, Gomez, Konate, Tsimikas, Keita, Jones, Milner, Taki, Ox, Origi
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 12:53:18 pm »
Need Gordon to get a game, this would be a good one for it

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 12:53:40 pm »
Kelleher, Trent, Gomez, Konate, Tsimikas, Keita, Jones, Milner, Taki, Ox, Origi

Surprised if Milner Konate and Trent start

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 12:58:40 pm »
Kelleher

Neco/Bradley
Gomez
Phillips
Beck

Thiago/Milner
Ox
Jones

Minamino/Musiałowski
Origi
Gordon

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 01:10:36 pm »
Kelleher

Neco/Bradley
Gomez
Phillips
Beck

Thiago/Milner
Ox
Jones

Minamino/Musiałowski
Origi
Gordon

Is Tony Gallacher still around? Maybe him for Beck.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Floop

• Main Stander
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2021, 01:43:49 pm »
Kaide Gordon and Conor Bradley aren't involved for the 23s today, likely means they're playing against Norwich.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2021, 01:51:22 pm »
I’d go Konate and Gomez in the defence. No reason Konate can’t play. 2 games in a week is there? Give him the game time.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2021, 01:52:23 pm »
What about Nat Phillips?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2021, 01:54:24 pm »
What about Nat Phillips?

The local journos are saying he will start against Norwich.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2021, 02:09:21 pm »
Liverpool’s run, in the era of The Milk Cup was formidable. Between 1980 and 1984 Liverpool played 42 matches in this competition, losing just one leg of a double header along the way.

Does anyone know the reasoning behind the multi-leg format in some rounds of the League Cup?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2021, 02:35:02 pm »
I'd give starts to Kelleher, Neco, Gomez, Konate, Tsimikas, Keita, Jones, Taki and Origi. A lot of changes I know but Norwich aren't very good and those players should still have enough to get the job done and they all need minutes because they'll all be needed at some point.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2021, 03:32:27 pm »
Fwiw..

VAR is only used in the semi finals and final.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Online stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2021, 04:15:06 pm »
Thanks for the OP Dougle.

I like the look of your team but I would play 11 players and not 10…….I think that would be taking the piss.

I’d add Milner, Henderson or Thiago as a defensive midfielder and go with the others that you suggested.
#JFT97

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2021, 04:32:37 pm »
Terrific OP Dougle!

Definitely a free hit as I'm sure most aren't that bothered but would it'd be great if our B Team/youngsters can go all the way in the Cup. I suspect most will be rested but Klopp has thrown a curve ball or two in the past (starting Salah against Arsenal for example) but I'm hoping this time he definitely wouldn't play any of our regulars.

Excited to watch us without worrying too much about the result.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2021, 04:35:45 pm »
Good opportunity to give some fringe players a game. Wouldn't mind seeing Kaide Gordon given a go.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2021, 04:36:31 pm »
Kelleher

Neco
Gomez
Phillips
Tmisikas

Henderson
Ox
Naby

Minamino
Origi
Jones
Y.N.W.A.

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2021, 04:53:01 pm »
Kaide Gordon and Conor Bradley aren't involved for the 23s today, likely means they're playing against Norwich.

In the squad for sure. Personally think Phillips is nailed on for a start. Be nice to give Bradley a start but more important to get minutes in the legs of first team players. So I think it’s a back four of Gomez, Phillips, Konate and Tsimikas.

Midfield will partially depend on Thiago’s injury. If he’s out for a few weeks, Klopp likely rests whoever is pencilled in to play with Fabinho and Henderson at Brentford. So it’s three from four of Milner, Ox, Keita and Jones. If Thiago is fine for next weekend, we’ll play all four and either Ox or Jones go into the front three with Taki and Origi. If one is rested, Gordon probably starts.

Offline Larse

• Kopite
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2021, 04:59:29 pm »
I think Klopp will rotate very heavily. Bar 3-4 players I think he wont play anybody who is a possible starter in any of our games against Brentford, Porto or City. I dont think he'll play any of our first team midfielders: Fabinho, Henderson, Keita, Ox and Jones. Losing one of them due to a stupid injury could mean we go into the next (3-game-)week with only 4 midfielders.

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2021, 05:14:17 pm »
     Minamino Origi Ox
            Jones Naby
                Milner
xxx Phillips Konate/Gomez xxx
               Kelleher

Don’t know about the full backs. Neco is injured isn’t he?

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2021, 05:29:51 pm »
Going to this, what time does the bus usually arrive before an evening kick off? Taking both my little ones so would like to get them to greet the bus.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2021, 06:29:14 pm »
I'd rotate everyone, we have plenty of quality outside of the first XI and it's a rare chance to give a decent number of players a week off. As nice as it would be to try to win it, I hate where the semi-final falls in the season and we do need to manage certain areas of the squad more than others.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2021, 06:35:33 pm »
Probably alone here but I actually wouldn't go too mad with the changes.

Mix of experienced players and youth for me and it would be good to go on a run in a domestic cup for once. I know we have bigger competitions we'll want to focus on but it would be good to at least go deep in the other comps if possible

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2021, 06:36:35 pm »
I think the Gomez / VVD axis will start, so will Robertson, which makes me think Trent will also play if he wasn’t sick, as I think he was slated to start the Palace game and get this one off. Jones and Keita will probably play in midfield, but expecting Jota to have a night off. So it’ll be Mane, Salah and Gordon I think.

The big question for me is Fabinho, he looks a bit leggy, and so does Henderson. Thiago is still unclear, perhaps Clarkson can have a go?

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2021, 06:37:31 pm »
I think the Gomez / VVD axis will start, so will Robertson, which makes me think Trent will also play if he wasn’t sick, as I think he was slated to start the Palace game and get this one off. Jones and Keita will probably play in midfield, but expecting Jota to have a night off. So it’ll be Mane, Salah and Gordon I think.

The big question for me is Fabinho, he looks a bit leggy, and so does Henderson. Thiago is still unclear, perhaps Clarkson can have a go?

Clarksons out on loan at Blackburn for the season mate.

Milner to anchor the midfield?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2021, 06:47:23 pm »
Clarksons out on loan at Blackburn for the season mate.

Milner to anchor the midfield?

Didn’t even realise that mate. Milner’s been doing a lot of running against palace. Perhaps it’s just going to be Hendo starting with Fab on the bench.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2021, 06:47:36 pm »

Doesn’t make sense to start Van Dijk. Next week don’t we play Brentford, Porto and then Man City? Van Dijk could be needed for all of those.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2021, 06:52:04 pm »
Doesn’t make sense to start Van Dijk. Next week don’t we play Brentford, Porto and then Man City? Van Dijk could be needed for all of those.

I think Klopp will want to find out how the partnerships work now when he can, and still give some game time to all four. Though he probably has set the partnerships already and do Matip and Gomez together again. Will be interesting to see for sure. All four of them look interchangeable, which will be such an asset going forward for us.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2021, 07:11:24 pm »
I don't think Van Dijk should start either. This is a game for Konate to give him match time because he'd be needed later in the season. I'd think Gomez/Konate would start.

Edit: Or Gomez starts as a RB, Nat/Konate as CBs.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2021, 07:19:46 pm »
I don't think Van Dijk should start either. This is a game for Konate to give him match time because he'd be needed later in the season. I'd think Gomez/Konate would start.

Edit: Or Gomez starts as a RB, Nat/Konate as CBs.

Yep. Also with Thiago now injured we have to be careful not to overdo it for Milner, albeit I see him starting in midfield.

Online rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2021, 07:31:04 pm »
There is no way any of our big hitters should even be at Norwich. We have plenty in reserve against a likely rotated Norwich side, they will get the job done. Some mad shouts for starting Trent or VVD.. give them all the rest they can get, we have plenty of games coming up and there is a sodding International break next month, the national team coaches won’t really do us many favours so it’s best we look after our lads the best we can, starting with this game. I would love for us to win this cup but in terms of priorities it’s rightly at the bottom.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2021, 07:37:19 pm »
Going to this, what time does the bus usually arrive before an evening kick off? Taking both my little ones so would like to get them to greet the bus.

It's a 7.45  away kick off so the team get there about around 6 PM mate.

Offline Gray Hamster

• Not bong eyed but quite fond of little furry things.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2021, 07:43:46 pm »
Love it when OP’s bring a musical vibe to proceedings, now out with my pretenders records....

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2021, 07:57:11 pm »
Great OP Dougle, thanks mate.
So many of our past managers and club legends have loved winning this trophy. Tell anyone of them is just a distraction.
Nobody should ever mention Houllier's treble in one sentence and dismiss this cup in another.

I don't expect anywhere near a full strength squad but we should value the opportunity for some players to bond and hopefully edge us to another piece of silverware.

Up the fucking Reds.

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2021, 08:04:59 pm »
Norwich is in big danger of going down again this season so I expect them to focus on staying in the League rather than the cups. I would rest the regular starters for this one to avoid any potential injuries but look to have a strong bench in case we need it.

Kelleher
Gomez Konate Phillips Tsimikas
Milner
Curtis Keita
Oxlade Origi Minamino

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2021, 08:13:00 pm »
Kelleher, Neco, Konate, Gomez, Tsimikas, Milner, Jones, Keita, Ox, Minamino, Origi

A few first teamers and a few kids for the bench. Give the likes of Virg, Matip, Fab and the front three the night off.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2021, 08:14:31 pm »
Thanks John, Hazell, Stockdam and Grey Hampster, it was fun going back and looking at old videos of those games (and the music !!). Time has passed but the vibe lives on.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2021, 08:15:48 pm »
Shame we were drawn away for this. I’d expect a number not to travel here; Virgil, Salah, other first teamers etc, which is perfectly fine - but I still hope we field a good team.

Norwich are really poor. Maybe they’ll fancy giving this a go with an already bleak league season, but surely they’ll have an eye on Everton at the weekend. No extra time either, and to be honest I think that was a poor change to the tournament. I’ve always liked the league cup for it’s one off knockout format, but going straight to penalties just makes it feel even more small time than what they’ve already made it. Anyway, Norwich … yes, they’re really shit and truth be told I think even the manager must know they’ll go down again. We should still win with a rotated side.

Kelleher
Gomez   Konate   Phillips   Tsimikas
Milner   Oxlade Chamberlain   Jones
Minamino   Origi   Jota

Can see minutes for Phillips, but at right back it’s hard to say. Think Neco could miss out and Trent may well be saved for Brentford. Other than that we could go Milner again, which I probably would go for if he plays Keita in midfield. I would put Keita in but perhaps Thiago may miss the weekend, in which case you’d expect Naby to start. Oxlade/Jones/Minamino all need minutes under their belts, and I’d expect Div to start through the middle again. Just fucking win lads.

COME ON YOU FUCKIN REDMEN!!!!!!
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2021, 08:19:51 pm »

Nuts ;D
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2021, 08:57:02 pm »
Take out the 11 that will start against Brentford and play the strongest possible 11 from those remaining.