Author Topic: Neco Williams Appreciation thread  (Read 110177 times)

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
Re: Neco Williams Appreciation thread
« Reply #40 on: January 5, 2020, 08:52:04 pm »
I was very impressed with Neco from the first minutes of the Arsenal LC game. Hoped we would see if could replicate that performance away at Villa but Jurgen wanted him in Doha. Jurgen knew.

From the start to finish he was immaculate today against a strong runner in Richarlison who was switched wings as Neco owned him. Defended well,passed well, and hit a great shot on target.
Talent and maturity way above most 18yr olds.

He's going to be in demand very soon, especially if he plays for Wales.
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #41 on: January 5, 2020, 08:53:16 pm »
His biggest issue is that he's got Trent in his position. He could easily step in for Trent in the Premier League. Great future ahead of him.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #42 on: January 5, 2020, 09:05:59 pm »
Earlier in the season Milner and even Hendo got the nod at right back when Trent was out. I’d be surprised if Nico doesn’t play next time Trent’s missing.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: January 5, 2020, 09:14:29 pm »
No worries if this lad deputises for Trent in the league or champions league. Looks a natural athlete, great cross on him and he smells danger defensively.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: January 5, 2020, 09:17:54 pm »
His biggest issue is that he's got Trent in his position. He could easily step in for Trent in the Premier League. Great future ahead of him.

Aged 18 that's no problem at all. He doesn't need to be playing top level every week at this age. And who better to learn from and mentor him to follow in the same path than Trent. On a similar note, Hoever has Gomez to look to. So long as both develop the right way physically they look like they belong.

Elliot and Jones too. These are teenagers who look like they belong when they move up a level against harder adult opposition. Four of them! It's like when Trent moved up, they each look comfortable.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: January 5, 2020, 09:22:41 pm »
He seems more like a right-footed Robbo than a mini-Trent so he could be a useful option in the next few years.  Very, very good again today and seems to work well with Elliott.

Offline Paulinjo

• Shoulda gone to Specsavers
  • Main Stander
« Reply #46 on: January 5, 2020, 09:24:33 pm »
He appeared smaller than Trent to me, but google says he is 1,83 and Trent is 1,75. Can someone confirm this?

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #47 on: January 5, 2020, 09:25:21 pm »
In before someone says he can play RB when Trent moves to midfield.

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: January 5, 2020, 09:25:44 pm »
Plenty of time for him but if he keeps going as he is, he will undoubtedly be a top Premier League player. Just depends if he takes it to that next level with us or another club. He's got bundles of talent & I imagine with Klopp, he'll have the right mentality too.

Online Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #49 on: January 5, 2020, 09:26:06 pm »
Can Liverpool play with 2 right backs?

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #50 on: January 5, 2020, 09:53:40 pm »

Nah Everton that.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline oxenstierna

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: January 5, 2020, 09:56:03 pm »
Hope he get his PL debut this season, looked good when I’ve seen him

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #52 on: January 5, 2020, 09:58:51 pm »
Neco, Trent and Hoever is a ridiculous amount of talent for one position considering their ages.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #53 on: January 5, 2020, 10:00:35 pm »

Maybe he could cover left back too, he has played there for Wales youth teams a little bit. Massive difference in level of course, but still, good to know!

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #54 on: January 5, 2020, 10:04:50 pm »
Maybe he could cover left back too, he has played there for Wales youth teams a little bit. Massive difference in level of course, but still, good to know!
If LB was to be required, I think that TAA will be more likely to play there to have Neco be in a more familiar setting.

Neco, Trent and Hoever is a ridiculous amount of talent for one position considering their ages.
It's interesting to know whether Hoever's path has been blocked by Trent/Neco at RB and Nat at CB...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #55 on: January 5, 2020, 10:06:13 pm »
If he can play left back as well, he'd be incredible squad cover.

He's absolutely mastered the jinking ball into midfield with the outside of his boot to get around onrushing opposition, used it time and time again to evade the brainless Blues.

Online MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: January 5, 2020, 10:25:52 pm »
He has played well both times he has started.
Justice for the 96!

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #57 on: January 5, 2020, 10:34:31 pm »
Had a great game, how old is he?
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #58 on: January 5, 2020, 10:36:38 pm »
Had a great game, how old is he?
He's 18.

Apparently the same age group with Lingard...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #59 on: January 5, 2020, 10:38:08 pm »
It's interesting to know whether Hoever's path has been blocked by Trent/Neco at RB and Nat at CB...

Hoever isn't even 18 for another couple of weeks. And I think the longer term plan is for him to be a CB - but his skill and athleticism has seen him play mostly RB at this stage, as he builds experience and develops physically. Only question mark is his height.

Phillips is 23 in March. He's looked decent enough when I've seen him, but - and I really don't want to sound critical, as he showed bags of character today - I don't believe he has that extra *something* which is going to see him reach the level of Gomez/Matip/Lovren. And that's the level we need. I see Phillips making a good career, but at a lower-level Prem or competitive Championship club.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #60 on: January 5, 2020, 10:39:19 pm »
Anyway, Williams... I think he's shown enough to be Trent's understudy.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #61 on: January 5, 2020, 10:50:12 pm »
Hoever isn't even 18 for another couple of weeks. And I think the longer term plan is for him to be a CB - but his skill and athleticism has seen him play mostly RB at this stage, as he builds experience and develops physically. Only question mark is his height.

Phillips is 23 in March. He's looked decent enough when I've seen him, but - and I really don't want to sound critical, as he showed bags of character today - I don't believe he has that extra *something* which is going to see him reach the level of Gomez/Matip/Lovren. And that's the level we need. I see Phillips making a good career, but at a lower-level Prem or competitive Championship club.

I would agree with that.

Phillips looked decent but he is very mechanical and awkward looking.

Hoever looks like a Rolls Royce in comparison but as you say lacks the physicality to play as a centre back.       
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Neco Williams Appreciation thread
« Reply #62 on: January 5, 2020, 10:51:01 pm »
Tried really hard to spot problems with his game but saw nothing. I’d be fairly confident if he stepped in for Trent here and there. Lot of kids played really well tonight but he was probably most consistent of them all.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #63 on: January 5, 2020, 10:53:57 pm »
Anyway, Williams... I think he's shown enough to be Trent's understudy.

Hasn't got the pace to take his man on the outside and relies on bringing the ball inside. More of a Robbo understudy than a replacement for Trent.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #64 on: January 5, 2020, 10:56:17 pm »
Hasn't got the pace to take his man on the outside and relies on bringing the ball inside. More of a Robbo understudy than a replacement for Trent.

Robbo is much quicker than Trent?
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: January 5, 2020, 11:03:24 pm »
The passage of play for the goal after Pickford's splaffed pass through to Adrian - Williams played a Trent style diagonal to Origi to set the ball rolling...
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline smurfinaus

• Legacy Fan
  • Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to <insert location> we go :P
« Reply #66 on: January 5, 2020, 11:06:38 pm »
Trent and Robbo are rapid. Robbo better defender. Trent better crosser (consistently).
Neco looks a very good talent. Solid defending. Good pass. And whipping in good crosses.
How is his left foot?

Offline kloppagetime

• Is severely disappointed with Liverpool’s performance levels in 2020, especially pre-season.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: January 5, 2020, 11:07:35 pm »
He's brilliant we needed a backup right back looks like we have found one without going in the transfer market

Offline TAA66

• Kopite
  • Nobody grows up wanting to be a Gary Neville
« Reply #68 on: January 5, 2020, 11:49:12 pm »
Would be great if either Nico or Hoever could cover LB too -  not sure how strong either is on their left side

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #69 on: January 6, 2020, 12:07:23 am »
Robbo is much quicker than Trent?

It is all about what happens when they are faced up. Trent opens his body up and looks to go down the line or pass down the line. If that doesn't work he then shifts it and plays inside. Neco and Robbo are more about staying wide and making the pitch big.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: January 6, 2020, 01:08:09 am »
It is all about what happens when they are faced up. Trent opens his body up and looks to go down the line or pass down the line. If that doesn't work he then shifts it and plays inside. Neco and Robbo are more about staying wide and making the pitch big.

Williams and Robertson are FBs playing at FB. Trent is a midfield playmaker playing at FB. BTW, what do you make of Larouci?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: January 6, 2020, 01:11:05 am »
Trent and Robbo are rapid. Robbo better defender. Trent better crosser (consistently).
Neco looks a very good talent. Solid defending. Good pass. And whipping in good crosses.
How is his left foot?

I think everyone wants the answer to be *good*. He's definitely good enough to be in the matchday squad as an RB, so if he can play LB as well, then he could be a realistic option for a first choice 18.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Online Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #72 on: January 6, 2020, 01:23:18 am »
I read this elsewhere but the comparison seems quite apt: Neco is Steve Finnan-esque. Pace wise, he looks a little bit faster in this game but I remember Trent looking not the fastest at times when he debuting for the first team, so could be a matter of getting used to the speed at this level.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #73 on: January 6, 2020, 01:25:01 am »
Williams and Robertson are FBs playing at FB. Trent is a midfield playmaker playing at FB. BTW, what do you make of Larouci?

We don't really play our full backs as full backs though. They are so high up the pitch it is untrue. They play higher than most teams wingers.

That gives you great width, which gives you more space in midfield. That helps but against a low block you are still looking at breaking down a packed defence.

To break down that defence you either need players who can go on the outside and take advantage of an overload or players who can suck a team across and hit a long switch. Trent can do either. Robbo and Neco are far more comfortable at providing width and then taking advantage of a long switch than being a creative force.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #74 on: January 6, 2020, 01:30:14 am »
Noticed a few times he was treated by the others as the safe outball when in a spot of bother.

Looked good; also looked about 12. Some young players look middle-aged, but Neco's a proper kidder still
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #75 on: January 6, 2020, 01:31:35 am »
The Cat
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: January 6, 2020, 01:47:10 am »
We don't really play our full backs as full backs though. They are so high up the pitch it is untrue. They play higher than most teams wingers.

That gives you great width, which gives you more space in midfield. That helps but against a low block you are still looking at breaking down a packed defence.

To break down that defence you either need players who can go on the outside and take advantage of an overload or players who can suck a team across and hit a long switch. Trent can do either. Robbo and Neco are far more comfortable at providing width and then taking advantage of a long switch than being a creative force.

Most teams do without a Trent. The creative decision making happens in the middle, which is the traditional way, and the ball finds its way to one of the flanks where a winger/FB is free in space. We don't specifically need Trent to be the playmaker, although we're making damn good use of him in that role. A number-ish 10 would do just as well. Firmino in his especially withdrawn moments would fit that role, as would Keita should he ever be fit for more than 3 games in a row.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: January 6, 2020, 01:56:25 am »
Will make his PL debut very soon imo... the quality and footbal inteligence is obvious..

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #78 on: January 6, 2020, 02:24:59 am »

Trent: ''Reckon we'll still get a game, Robbo?''
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: January 6, 2020, 02:42:39 am »
I think Hoever will end up at DM to be honest.