The Liverpool FC Forum > Liverpool FC Forum

Mohamed Salah - Best in the World

<< < (3539/3789) > >>

TepidT2O:

--- Quote from: Dr Stu-Pid on October 29, 2021, 09:21:55 am ---Thanks for posting that, interesting article.

Not sure about this though:

“Salah lit it up in his first campaign on Merseyside, hitting the ground at a record-breaking pace and providing an instant return on the investment with a 32G+9A debut season”

“Salah’s first season was his best. His other seasons – which “only” returned 19G+8A, 16G+9A, and 16G+5A – were hardly bad Premier League campaigns either. “

His 4 seasons to date have been;  32G+10A, 22G+8A, 19G+10A, and 22G+5A (based on data from the PL website).

I assume that they are quoting non-penalty goals here rather than actual goals?  If they are then they should really make that clearer, and given that most of the players that make up the top scorer lists also take penalties then those numbers are still elite rather than simply being ‘hardly bad’.  For example his 16 non-penalty goals were good enough for 3rd in the PL last season.

Plus, I don’t see any good reason to ignore penalties from goal scoring stats.  Penalty goals count the same as non-penalty goals, and having an elite penalty taker is a massive plus point for a team.

--- End quote ---
They’re talking about XG

He out performs XG

Dr Stu-Pid:

--- Quote from: TepidT2O on October 29, 2021, 10:16:44 am ---They’re talking about XG

He out performs XG

--- End quote ---

I don't think so, at least not in what I quoted.  They said his first season stats were 32G+9A.  He did score 32 goals and 0 penalties, but his XG was only 25, so I definitely think that they are quoting non-penalty goals.  But nowhere in the article do they actually state that, which is confusing in an article about how he scored his 100 PL goals, not 100 PL non-penalty goals.

CowboyKangaroo:

--- Quote from: Dr Stu-Pid on October 29, 2021, 09:21:55 am ---Thanks for posting that, interesting article.

Not sure about this though:

“Salah lit it up in his first campaign on Merseyside, hitting the ground at a record-breaking pace and providing an instant return on the investment with a 32G+9A debut season”

“Salah’s first season was his best. His other seasons – which “only” returned 19G+8A, 16G+9A, and 16G+5A – were hardly bad Premier League campaigns either. “

His 4 seasons to date have been;  32G+10A, 22G+8A, 19G+10A, and 22G+5A (based on data from the PL website).

I assume that they are quoting non-penalty goals here rather than actual goals?  If they are then they should really make that clearer, and given that most of the players that make up the top scorer lists also take penalties then those numbers are still elite rather than simply being ‘hardly bad’.  For example his 16 non-penalty goals were good enough for 3rd in the PL last season.

Plus, I don’t see any good reason to ignore penalties from goal scoring stats.  Penalty goals count the same as non-penalty goals, and having an elite penalty taker is a massive plus point for a team.

--- End quote ---

Generally stats people don't count penalties because the difficult thing is winning them, not taking them. The skill of converting penalties a high percentage of the time is also pretty common in top flight football. If Salah hadn't taken those penalties and they'd gone to the next best taker in the team instead the number of goals scored would hardly change.

Statsbomb are just trying to measure the performance of the player using analytics. If Klopp (for whatever reason) chose another player to take all those penalties it wouldn't mean Salah is any worse as a player so its not worth including in the analysis of how good he is as a forward.

Or to put it another way - say we signed CB Bob who happens to be the world's best penalty taker. Never missed one in his life, even in training. So he went on penalties and Salah didn't take any - from a stats point of view Salah's performance hasn't diminished at all, even though the total goals scored would be lower. It just doesn't tell you what they are trying to measure so its excluded. I agree that people should be clear when they mean NPGs though.

gorgepir:
Was Salah in training? Was wondering with Ballon D'Or tonight.

Edit: Sorry the ceremony is Nov 29, so next month not tonight.

redgriffin73:

--- Quote from: gorgepir on October 29, 2021, 11:31:22 am ---Was Salah in training? Was wondering with Ballon D'Or tonight.

--- End quote ---

He was yesterday, no pics from today yet I don't think.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version