Author Topic: Atmosphere at Anfield  (Read 1757969 times)

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
Re: Atmosphere at Anfield
« Reply #12840 on: May 9, 2022, 03:18:52 pm »
In general it's just not been very good this year. Even in Europe I'm surprised how lacklustre the atmosphere's have been. Benfica was alright recently and so was Villarreal but nothing special given the occasions. Think some people, myself probably included, have just come to expect success on the pitch which must have had some effect on things. I don't think last night's atmosphere was good until we went behind, and thought it was pretty poor in the derby.

Has to be better next season and going forward. Really thought this season we'd get some great atmospheres given how Covid kept the stadiums closed for so long but it just hasn't happened, which has surprised me.

I mean we haven't really played anyone of note in any competition, atmosphere at Wembley has been good at least.
:D

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #12841 on: May 9, 2022, 03:26:38 pm »
Just got a message from my mate who was using my tickets. Think he was in 206, can't be arsed to check. He said the place was rocking. 

I didn't go the game but know a few people who did. In different parts of the Kop. Those who went on Saturday said the atmosphere was really good.

Said it the other week but I think judging the atmosphere is really difficult from TV. I also think you can almost have micro-atmospheres within the ground. I've gone to game before and thought the atmosphere was good. Had mates in other parts of the ground who thought was poor/average in the same game.

Unless the atmosphere is an absolute belter or a shocker I think an individuals perception of the atmosphere can be influenced a fair bit by those in their proximity.

How the atmosphere comes across on the TV is never that representative. I wouldn't be surprised if TV companies turned up the volume of YNWA at before the game to enhance this aspect and turn down pitch side mics during the game to a) not get any untoward swearing, b) make sure the commentators are the most prominent sound for the viewers.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12842 on: May 9, 2022, 03:39:12 pm »
From the TV coverage, I thought the atmosphere was the only good thing about Saturday's game.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #12843 on: May 9, 2022, 04:10:52 pm »
I didn't go the game but know a few people who did. In different parts of the Kop. Those who went on Saturday said the atmosphere was really good.

Said it the other week but I think judging the atmosphere is really difficult from TV. I also think you can almost have micro-atmospheres within the ground. I've gone to game before and thought the atmosphere was good. Had mates in other parts of the ground who thought was poor/average in the same game.

Unless the atmosphere is an absolute belter or a shocker I think an individuals perception of the atmosphere can be influenced a fair bit by those in their proximity.

How the atmosphere comes across on the TV is never that representative. I wouldn't be surprised if TV companies turned up the volume of YNWA at before the game to enhance this aspect and turn down pitch side mics during the game to a) not get any untoward swearing, b) make sure the commentators are the most prominent sound for the viewers.

I think people assume that things sounding shit on TV is just an excuse, but it's very evident if you have access to all the available feeds.

I pay for Sky but have NBC and DAZN as well and I'll always watch on NBC if possible, the way they've setup the mics really put you closer to something you'd hear on the radio - you get a much better feel for inside the ground.

Example:
https://streamable.com/wxk93c
« Last Edit: May 9, 2022, 04:23:17 pm by Kashinoda »
:D

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #12844 on: May 9, 2022, 04:46:17 pm »
I mean we haven't really played anyone of note in any competition, atmosphere at Wembley has been good at least.

I agree about Wembley and hope it's the same on Saturday. They've been the standout days of the season to me so far and hopefully that can peak in Paris.

As for Anfield (in Europe specifically), the opposition haven't been world beaters by any stretch but I think the drop in atmosphere compared to a few years ago is quite telling, but partially to be expected. Compare the Roma tie in 2018 to Villarreal a couple of weeks ago. So much can be said for how the team has evolved and how our expectations have been raised judging them games alone. Against Roma we'd not won anything for years but felt it getting closer, the atmosphere was superb inside and outside the ground, a party atmosphere for the most part but spurred on by the performance. I use Roma as my example because similarly to Villarreal neither are constant challengers in their own leagues and in Europe.

Against Villarreal it started out alright for the first 10/15 minutes before it came clear it was going to be a struggle. I think loads went in just expecting we'd humiliate them. Didn't really get anything until the goals, and for 5/10 minutes after it was the best it's been all season. Still though it fizzled out towards the end when everyone seemed happy with the result. It's certainly an outlier when you look at all the European semis we've been treated to in the 21st century, all those atmospheres were superb, Villarreal was merely alright, but again it probably goes back to what I'm saying about sustained success and expectations.

It's interesting to see going forward if we perform to the same levels how the atmosphere will be. I feel even the aways for a while haven't quite been the same. It's quite a bleak outlook on the situation at the minute but I just feel on the whole this season it's been quite poor, especially given the football. I could understand if we'd been shit! Hopefully with this season of going to the football again under our belts we'll see an improvement next season.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #12845 on: May 9, 2022, 04:51:59 pm »
Both the team and the fans were recovering from last season though, it’s picked up in the last few games but has equally become as tense. Win the European cup again and I’ll expect next season it’ll be like 19/20 where we know we must not drop any points so will be up for it more.

I've felt this for a long time to be honest mate and it's probably one of our biggest problems in the home games. I think we're quite a naturally tense and worrisome fanbase if that makes sense, I'm guilty of it too. Anfield must top charts for fingernail casualties year upon year  ;D. On Saturday it was actually quite good after we went behind, everyone behind them begging us to get back into the game, probably worked to some extent but just couldn't find the winner.

I feel what you're saying about the European Cup, too, it'd be absolutely massive for next season and probably make the match experience even more enjoyable. I don't think there would have been a league title in 2020 had we not have beaten Spurs, it could have been a killer for everyone, fans especially. Instead it was really fun until fucking Covid. If we win in Paris I can already imagine how eager everyone will be for the games next season.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline CornerTakenQuickly

• ORIGAAAAAAAAMIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Kopite
  • I am a Liverpudlian and I come from the Spion Kop
« Reply #12846 on: May 22, 2022, 09:48:52 pm »
To be expected, but the noise was immense today. We gave everything and so did the players. When we went behind, the crowd responded within about 5 seconds and there was no negativity throughout the entire game. Support can't really get much better than this. Think we've all got to take a moment and appreciate how a year ago we had none of this (bar a few games with a small number of fans), because my word we've been spoilt at Anfield this season.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12847 on: May 22, 2022, 09:53:30 pm »
To be expected, but the noise was immense today. We gave everything and so did the players. When we went behind, the crowd responded within about 5 seconds and there was no negativity throughout the entire game. Support can't really get much better than this. Think we've all got to take a moment and appreciate how a year ago we had none of this (bar a few games with a small number of fans), because my word we've been spoilt at Anfield this season.

I started the singing ;D
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline SingFongFC

• Kopite
  • L-I-V, E-R-P, Double O L, Liverpool FC
« Reply #12848 on: May 23, 2022, 11:04:58 am »
Probably the best I’ve known it in the Annie Road lower overall, but what was with the front two thirds staying sat down for most of the first half?? Stewards weren’t even enforcing it from what I could see, so it was a choice! Mental.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12849 on: May 23, 2022, 02:19:13 pm »
That was the worst lap of honour (or whatever it was) ever.

It could have been the team showing off the trophies, and a chance for the fans celebrate one of our greatest ever seasons.

Or it could have been about the fans showing their appreciation to the team, give everyone a send off for Paris.

But it was neither, it was just bizare. I don't think the FA Cup left the half way line and neither did a couple of the players. Whoever organised it needs shooting. Everyone should have been leaving the ground on a bit of a high.
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12850 on: May 23, 2022, 02:35:39 pm »
That was the worst lap of honour (or whatever it was) ever.

It could have been the team showing off the trophies, and a chance for the fans celebrate one of our greatest ever seasons.

Or it could have been about the fans showing their appreciation to the team, give everyone a send off for Paris.

But it was neither, it was just bizare. I don't think the FA Cup left the half way line and neither did a couple of the players. Whoever organised it needs shooting. Everyone should have been leaving the ground on a bit of a high.

Just wasn't realistic that. Nor is the Parade going to be jubilant if we lose in Paris. That's just human nature. We were 15 minutes away from the title.

When emotions are so raw it's hard to just turn on the glee.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12851 on: May 23, 2022, 03:01:10 pm »
Just wasn't realistic that. Nor is the Parade going to be jubilant if we lose in Paris. That's just human nature. We were 15 minutes away from the title.

When emotions are so raw it's hard to just turn on the glee.

It's weird though isn't it. In 2018 it felt a bit more of a 'proper' send off for kiev. Mo had his golden boot, we'd just managed on the very last day to qualify for the CL. Yesterday, mo had his golden boot, we qualified for the CL weeks ago, won 2 trophies etc. and yet....and yet....I guess it touches what Klopp said about perspective after the spurs game, if you look at it one way it feels a bit shit, it's all about looking at it the other way [that's not so easy to do with 55 thousand people though!]...But to me it's why that parade should be jubliant whatever happens in paris. This is some team we've built, they deserve every bit of praise we can offer.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #12852 on: May 23, 2022, 03:04:26 pm »
It's weird though isn't it. In 2018 it felt a bit more of a 'proper' send off for kiev. Mo had his golden boot, we'd just managed on the very last day to qualify for the CL. Yesterday, mo had his golden boot, we qualified for the CL weeks ago, won 2 trophies etc. and yet....and yet....I guess it touches what Klopp said about perspective after the spurs game, if you look at it one way it feels a bit shit, it's all about looking at it the other way [that's not so easy to do with 55 thousand people though!]...But to me it's why that parade should be jubliant whatever happens in paris. This is some team we've built, they deserve every bit of praise we can offer.

True. But there is going to be tens of thousands of Reds in Paris in a few days time to show just what this team means to us. They will get their fill of praise and appreciation there for sure.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12853 on: May 23, 2022, 03:08:50 pm »
I know having the wives and kids on the pitch is the thing to do these days, but for me it just wrecks it.

It'd have been so much better if they'd haven been straight down the Annie with the two cups, then back up to the Kop.

Then their wives could have posed for selfies and they could have had a kick about with their kids, after I'd got off.
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12854 on: May 23, 2022, 03:32:08 pm »

We've been spoilt recently and again human nature, the more you get the more you want and tend not to appreciate things as  much.

There's absolutely no doubt that we'll look back on this season for ever, especially if we get Big Ears but in the heat of the moment after the whistle blew yesterday I'm sure the last thing many wanted to do was be jubilant and celebrate. Emotions can't be forced.

If we do win Big Ears the parade will be off the scale. If we don't then I can see it being a bit more reserved but that's expected.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #12855 on: August 2, 2022, 11:51:58 am »
Ajax banning signs asking for shirts etc hopefully we follow suit
YNWA

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #12856 on: August 2, 2022, 12:18:28 pm »
Ajax banning signs asking for shirts etc hopefully we follow suit

They've cleaned that up!!

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #12857 on: August 2, 2022, 12:20:50 pm »
Hope ' Fuck the Tories' gets a good airing at games.

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #12858 on: August 2, 2022, 12:38:13 pm »
Hope ' Fuck the Tories' gets a good airing at games.
Celtic were singing it on Sunday
YNWA

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #12859 on: August 2, 2022, 04:40:44 pm »
Celtic were singing it on Sunday

And Newport County at Sutton on Saturday.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12860 on: August 15, 2022, 08:37:43 pm »
Sounds so quiet tonight. 

Where's the atmosphere FFS it's the first home game of the season 😡

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12861 on: August 15, 2022, 08:39:09 pm »
If the players had actually scored one of the million chances the atmosphere would be better.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12862 on: August 15, 2022, 08:40:46 pm »
If the players had actually scored one of the million chances the atmosphere would be better.

Lots of pressure, but no real chances: a familiar story.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12863 on: August 15, 2022, 08:50:01 pm »
Quiet as a mouse.

Offline Higgins79

• Legacy Fan
  • return of the king
« Reply #12864 on: August 15, 2022, 08:51:19 pm »
The atmosphere in there is so crap. Support the team, show a bit of passion, or piss off and let somebody else have the ticket.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #12865 on: August 15, 2022, 08:51:21 pm »
Quiet as a mouse.

Dead after 10 minutes.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #12866 on: August 15, 2022, 08:54:53 pm »
The atmosphere in there is so crap. Support the team, show a bit of passion, or piss off and let somebody else have the ticket.

Yup. Using not taking our chances as an excuse for atmosphere is a load of shite.

Do we only turn up for the champions league nights or sing when we’re winning? Seems that way sometimes

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #12867 on: August 15, 2022, 08:59:08 pm »
I don't think we'll get much help from this docile crowd. But once the first goes in we'll break Palace.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12868 on: August 15, 2022, 09:57:13 pm »
Terrrrrrible

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #12869 on: August 15, 2022, 09:58:23 pm »
Shite. Complacent crowd that just expects entertainment so when it doesn't come it just silences.

Got a feeling the cost of living is going to force more people to sell on their tickets for profit so we're going to get more first timers going this season

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #12870 on: August 15, 2022, 09:59:51 pm »
Sounds so quiet tonight. 

Where's the atmosphere FFS it's the first home game of the season 😡

Everyone passing tickets to F&F ain’t gonna help. Regular matchgoers within the 4-12 bracket struggling to get a sniff!

Sounded awful

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12871 on: August 15, 2022, 10:03:48 pm »
Everyone passing tickets to F&F ain’t gonna help. Regular matchgoers within the 4-12 bracket struggling to get a sniff!

Sounded awful

That accounts for about 1500 people
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12872 on: August 15, 2022, 10:08:03 pm »

Sounded awful

:lmao

Offline OkieRedman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12873 on: August 15, 2022, 10:23:34 pm »
To many blue hairs.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12874 on: August 15, 2022, 10:25:52 pm »
Was at the match tonight and the crowd really tried, got behind the team, pushed as much as we could in that second half.

And quite frankly I find some of the comments in here hypocritical as fuck. The way some fans on this forum are talking - slaughtering players, giving up on players, giving up on the season, clearly just about waiting to jump on the manager if they were brave enough. This place currently is full of people either smugly waiting for doomsday, or working themselves into a doom spiral.

Frankly with some of the displays here the last 9 days or so, some people here have to look at themselves before they say anything about the crowds at the game.

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #12875 on: August 15, 2022, 10:34:21 pm »
That accounts for about 1500 people

The 1,500 would’ve made more noise than the 50,000+ there tonight mate  ;D

Seriously, the players needed the fans and the fans didn’t seem to turn up from what I could hear

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12876 on: August 15, 2022, 11:53:08 pm »
Was at the match tonight and the crowd really tried, got behind the team, pushed as much as we could in that second half.

And quite frankly I find some of the comments in here hypocritical as fuck. The way some fans on this forum are talking - slaughtering players, giving up on players, giving up on the season, clearly just about waiting to jump on the manager if they were brave enough. This place currently is full of people either smugly waiting for doomsday, or working themselves into a doom spiral.

Frankly with some of the displays here the last 9 days or so, some people here have to look at themselves before they say anything about the crowds at the game.
Same mate, good post. It was quiet at times but I suspect the big efforts in the 2nd half didn't get across on the telly.

Offline HomesickRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #12877 on: August 16, 2022, 02:21:12 am »
Build up and first 20 mins were really good. Bit of a lull as to be expected, then the sending off killed the game and atmosphere

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #12878 on: August 16, 2022, 06:12:05 am »
Same mate, good post. It was quiet at times but I suspect the big efforts in the 2nd half didn't get across on the telly.

Build up and first 20 mins were really good. Bit of a lull as to be expected, then the sending off killed the game and atmosphere

From what I could hear on the telly the atmosphere sounded like it improved significantly after the sending off - whereas it sounded completely dead in the first half.

Don´t get me wrong, I´m also one liable to moan about the atmosphere - usually from the comfort of my sofa and only occassionally in the stadium. But these days I am just making my peace with it

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #12879 on: August 16, 2022, 07:51:41 am »
Yeah on my stream the crowd really got going after the red card.  Was dead beforehand, but then the team played with so much more vigour after the sending off and that must've really helped.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.