Author Topic: Virgil Van Dijk (Cpt)  (Read 1455689 times)

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
Re: Virgil Van Dijk signs for Liverpool
« Reply #3000 on: August 22, 2018, 09:28:20 am »
Is he better with 40 - 50 yard passes than Allisson? Both are phenomenal.

Sign of a world class player is how easy he makes it all look. Never seems to panic and is a supreme athlete.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #3001 on: August 22, 2018, 10:02:29 am »
It cost us a lot of money to shut the door for goals, but we we seem leak tight now with him and Alisson.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline dptlfc83

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3002 on: August 22, 2018, 10:15:23 am »

Sign of a world class player is how easy he makes it all look. Never seems to panic and is a supreme athlete.

It doesn't seem like it! Alissons passing was unreal the other night. I don't think I've ever seen a keeper pass it so well. His passes weren't just to the man the were put in stride for them

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3003 on: August 22, 2018, 10:31:35 am »

how mad is it that we're discussing who is the best long passer, a keeper or a centre back  ;D

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3004 on: August 22, 2018, 01:31:59 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HtgA5oArjg

Just watch Virgil for the whole video. Esp in moments like 4:19. Gomez gets an education while playing alongside Virgil.

Commander.

Offline Ben87

• Main Stander
« Reply #3005 on: August 22, 2018, 01:37:34 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HtgA5oArjg

Just watch Virgil for the whole video. Esp in moments like 4:19. Gomez gets an education while playing alongside Virgil.

Commander.

He definitely lifts the performance of whoever is playing next to him, just like he did with Lovren last season

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #3006 on: August 22, 2018, 01:55:33 pm »
I saw some stats yesterday, I’ve not verified them myself but they’re impressive if true:

Liverpool since they signed Virgil van Dijk:
Most clean sheets in the Premier League.
Least Premier League goals conceded
0 league goals conceded at Anfield since February.
Only Premier League team to not concede a goal this season.

we've had the best defence in the league in terms of goals conceded, shots etc since that infamous day vs Spurs last season.

Virgil has of course made a massive difference, but things where a lot better than the wonderful media and pundits ever give credit for, before he arrived. Cos of course, didn't suit the old cliched agenda that Liverpool are poor defensively. Which STILL gets trotted out!

Offline Bob Sacamano

• Legacy Fan
  • Alleged Manc and/or Gooner
« Reply #3007 on: August 22, 2018, 04:31:46 pm »
Klopp's point about VVD being so dominant without fouling is important. Especially when it comes to playing the bottom table teams for whom dangerous set pieces are their best way to score.

Offline dptlfc83

• Main Stander
« Reply #3008 on: August 22, 2018, 04:46:25 pm »
I think VVD is our best player and also our most important. I'm sure most won't agree but he's a monster. A brilliant player.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #3009 on: August 22, 2018, 04:50:41 pm »
He's the best CB in the league and there's a fair distance between him and the Spurs duo who are probably the next best. He's just unbelievably good and imo one of the absolute best in the world. He has everything.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

His influence on our defence has been massive. Coupled with Allisson, and obviously with AAR and Robertson proving their worth last season, our defence is looking formidable. I haven't been able to say that since Benitez.

It is far and away the most impressive improvement in this team, certainly in the last year. For that alone I think you could argue he's the best CB in the league, and certainly worth every penny (as things are today at least!)

However, I'd give him until the end of the season before proclaiming him one of the absolute best in the world. If he can help us maintain our defensive record from the second half of last season, then I think you'd be right. But its a long slog yet.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3010 on: August 23, 2018, 01:37:58 am »
I think VVD is our best player and also our most important. I'm sure most won't agree but he's a monster. A brilliant player.

He's close to Mo as being our best but I don't think it's a ridiculous shout though I think Mo is our best player. He is in my opinion our most important though, displacing Bobby from the spot he held for many years. He is genuinely an outstanding player and one of the best in the world in his position.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3011 on: August 23, 2018, 01:39:49 am »
His influence on our defence has been massive. Coupled with Allisson, and obviously with AAR and Robertson proving their worth last season, our defence is looking formidable. I haven't been able to say that since Benitez.

It is far and away the most impressive improvement in this team, certainly in the last year. For that alone I think you could argue he's the best CB in the league, and certainly worth every penny (as things are today at least!)

However, I'd give him until the end of the season before proclaiming him one of the absolute best in the world. If he can help us maintain our defensive record from the second half of last season, then I think you'd be right. But its a long slog yet.

That's a fair and measured view but to me the difference was instant. I have thought that ever since he walked into the team that I hadn't seen a better defender than him ever for Liverpool (bearing in mind I never watched the likes of Hansen). He's just so complete and so good at everything.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Red_19

• Main Stander
« Reply #3012 on: August 23, 2018, 01:59:53 pm »
This guy will lead us into a new era of domination. The time has finally come to be genuinely excited.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it - Rafa B.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #3013 on: August 23, 2018, 02:00:27 pm »
This guy will lead us into a new era of domination. The time has finally come to be genuinely excited.

2pm on a Thursday afternoon?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #3014 on: August 23, 2018, 02:03:08 pm »
Why not? It's a dead time usually. Let's fill it with some excitement for once. WOOOOOFUCKINGHOOOOOOO    YEAH!
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline Red_19

• Main Stander
« Reply #3015 on: August 23, 2018, 02:03:42 pm »

He's the leader we've been lacking at the back since carra regressed. He should immediately be made captain.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it - Rafa B.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #3016 on: August 23, 2018, 04:01:27 pm »
He's the leader we've been lacking at the back since carra regressed. He should immediately be made captain.
Why? Does it seem like we're somehow lacking leadership on the pitch? I think Klopp's made his approach to captaincy reasonably clear. Can't see Hendo or Milner being displaced while they're still at the club.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3017 on: September 1, 2018, 05:31:11 pm »
I think this was his worst game for Liverpool. Can't figure out how Sky gave him a 7... He won much of the aerial duels, but seemingly fewer than in other games, even fewer than the ones with Benteke. Gave a few awkward passes, including the one that led to their goal. But I'm sure this game was one-off.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3018 on: September 1, 2018, 05:37:27 pm »
I think this was his worst game for Liverpool. Can't figure out how Sky gave him a 7... He won much of the aerial duels, but seemingly fewer than in other games, even fewer than the ones with Benteke. Gave a few awkward passes, including the one that led to their goal. But I'm sure this game was one-off.

Correct. He was off all game. Even some of the headers he won went almost up and down and maybe 5 yards out. It happens however.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #3019 on: September 1, 2018, 05:45:13 pm »

Was his worst game but he still did a lot of important work and played through the problem, if you will.

This is interesting. Nobody came close to winning that much in the box today. I think Gomez won the ball twice in the box all game.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3020 on: September 1, 2018, 06:36:29 pm »
His worst game by a mile, but he still made some important clearances. Gomez outperformed him today

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3021 on: September 1, 2018, 06:44:48 pm »
His worst game by a mile, but he still made some important clearances. Gomez outperformed him today

Agree. He had a shocker today by his standards but still made some vital headers for us.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3022 on: September 1, 2018, 06:47:37 pm »
As much as Gomez has been very impressive, he has flaws. His aerial ability is very poor (won one aerial duel) so VVD is having to come across and try and win his duels. This gives VVD more work to do and can take him out of position.

"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3023 on: September 1, 2018, 07:06:17 pm »
Needs to pull his socks up.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.

Offline dptlfc83

• Main Stander
« Reply #3024 on: September 1, 2018, 07:08:57 pm »
I still think he's our best player.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #3025 on: September 1, 2018, 07:10:22 pm »
The fact that he still put in a solid performance for what was probably one of his worst matches for us just speaks to how good he really is. He has an aura of arrogance to his game which I like very much, but sometimes I think he can be just a bit too arrogant. Or perhaps the word I'm looking for is complacent? Casual? Like the pass back to Alisson today and the mistake against City in the second leg of the CL quarter final last season. Still magnificant though.

Offline KingKolo

• usernamechangefullcirclejerk
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3026 on: September 1, 2018, 07:11:13 pm »
Anyone arsed with Van Dijk for the goal is missing the fact that Alisson fucked up massively

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3027 on: September 1, 2018, 07:17:11 pm »
Anyone arsed with Van Dijk for the goal is missing the fact that Alisson fucked up massively
Yes, but that doesn't negate the effect of the pass. A proper ball would have given Alisson passing options and would deny the attacker the opportunity to chase the ball.

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3028 on: September 1, 2018, 07:21:17 pm »

That today was just a a piece of his current picture. His passing is off, he looks slow and lethargic(Matip-esque) and beyond some timely headers, the guy to his right is the better player of late.

He needs to step his game up.

Offline KingKolo

• usernamechangefullcirclejerk
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3029 on: September 1, 2018, 07:27:02 pm »
That today was just a a piece of his current picture. His passing is off, he looks slow and lethargic(Matip-esque) and beyond some timely headers, the guy to his right is the better player of late.

Did you watch Palace? That was two games ago. He was immense.
Yes, but that doesn't negate the effect of the pass. A proper ball would have given Alisson passing options and would deny the attacker the opportunity to chase the ball.
Yeah but fuck it. If someone plays you a slightly tricky ball at the back, you clear it. You don't attempt a Cruyff turn and fall over. Blaming Van Dijk for what was a colossal error on Alisson's part is ridiculous.

Online na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3030 on: September 1, 2018, 07:49:12 pm »
thought he did brilliantly in the last 20 or so, cleared a lot of ball

Online na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3031 on: September 1, 2018, 07:49:53 pm »

ok

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #3032 on: September 1, 2018, 08:01:36 pm »

nah, got an attitude problem and needs dropping. Thinks he's bigger than Klopp.

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3033 on: September 1, 2018, 08:13:18 pm »
Did you watch Palace? That was two games ago. He was immense.

Got told about it in the pub by One eyed lefty Mick, the Lurcher man.

ok

Sound, you?

Well he's certainly a tad lackadaisical of late. Who knows.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #3034 on: September 1, 2018, 08:15:17 pm »
Best CB we've had since Hyypia in his pomp! Even when his off-pace - as most of the team and the league are, he's still a collossus!

Has transformed this defense... and most pundits said he'll be a good signing, but won't impact the defense that much. BOINGG!!! - no league goals conceded at home since he came in. Least amount of league goals conceded... all starting with his arrival!
« Last Edit: September 1, 2018, 08:17:01 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #3035 on: September 1, 2018, 08:16:26 pm »

Ignore them your right...and his socks should be pulled up... over his lusciuos thighs ...your too beautiful for this ugly world Chopper...run free..like the wind...or with wind.

Weve never replaced Kavame

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3036 on: September 1, 2018, 08:17:03 pm »
I think he's bigger than Klopp, too. Less of a belly maybe, but a bigger frame.

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3037 on: September 1, 2018, 08:19:25 pm »
Ignore them your right...and his socks should be pulled up... over his lusciuos thighs ...your too beautiful for this ugly world Chopper...run free..like the wind...or with wind.

Weve never replaced Kavame

I sense a soupcon of Dutch jingoism there Mr FB

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3038 on: September 1, 2018, 08:21:59 pm »
As of late, CHopper? He's had one bad game, you make it seem like he's been poor mate in every game

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #3039 on: September 1, 2018, 08:26:04 pm »
We've conceded one goal. How can anyone suggest we drop the best defender we've had in years?