Author Topic: Virgil Van Dijk (Cpt)  (Read 1456258 times)

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Virgil Van Dijk signs for Liverpool
« Reply #2760 on: May 15, 2018, 11:07:36 pm »
There are better defensive units in world football but I struggle to see how there is a center back individually better than this bloke, if you could genetically engineer the perfect center back it would be VVD pretty much.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2761 on: May 15, 2018, 11:08:35 pm »
Who would have thought, a year ago, that we'd sign a defender for £75m and everyone would basically forget about the fee within a month? I don't think you can overstate how much responsibility for our finishing top 4 and making the CL final he's had. Have you ever seen two signings make as much of an immediate impact as he and Salah?

No, but that’s what happens when you have complete clarity of what you need and who is best fit, in the past we’ve hedged our bets and not had the conviction to really go for it-

The manager and the analysts/scouts all deserve praise to sticking to their guns

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #2762 on: May 15, 2018, 11:11:00 pm »
Does anyone have the clip of the bit where he actually had to sprint in the first half?   
It was bonkers.... like he had this other gear he'd been keeping secret that he has to use like 3 times a season

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2763 on: May 15, 2018, 11:11:54 pm »
There are better defensive units in world football but I struggle to see how there is a center back individually better than this bloke, if you could genetically engineer the perfect center back it would be VVD pretty much.

We will need the big man on top form for the final, he’s our key player

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2764 on: May 15, 2018, 11:30:17 pm »
Has VVD got any individual weakness?
Believer

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2765 on: May 15, 2018, 11:45:25 pm »

He's named after a Thunderbird pilot, a van and a lesbian?

(No offence to any lesbian members!....or Firmino)

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2766 on: May 15, 2018, 11:53:52 pm »
None that I can see, but there's a rumour going round that if you shoot him in the heel with a poisoned arrow it sort of fucks him up.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #2767 on: May 16, 2018, 12:10:28 am »
Based on physical and technical attributes, I don't think there's a CB out there who is better. So excited to see him become even better.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #2768 on: May 16, 2018, 12:41:28 am »
None that I can see, but there's a rumour going round that if you shoot him in the heel with a poisoned arrow it sort of fucks him up.

Only if you use a levelled up Lightning Dragon Bow and hit him with about five arrows and your P-BNS is high because you have DEX of 25 or more.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2769 on: May 16, 2018, 12:42:19 am »
An upgrade on Lovren and possibly Karius and we're set for years. The impact The Virgil has made is nuts.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2770 on: May 16, 2018, 12:46:29 am »
He's a Bugatti Veyron with the bells and whistles of a Rolls Royce. I'm not sure if there is another defender as good as him anywhere in the world. Ramos, Pique and Hummels all have great shouts to be fair but I think VVD edges each of them in a different manner. He's the dog's.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #2771 on: May 16, 2018, 01:43:36 am »

He makes quite a lot of individual errors so far. By and large, he has been quite fortunate that only the Man City one resulted in a goal whereas almost every error Lovren makes results in a goal.

That was to be expected though as he had played very little football in the 12 months before joining us and so needs to get up to speed. Not to mention the need to adjust to our system too and all the other little adjustments that come to settling into life at a new club.

What I like about our center back pairing is they have no weaknesses (bar Lovren's dodgy back). They have the pace to deal with threats on the ground, are both very effective in the air, good upper both strength dealing with the grapplers of the league, good passers of the ball. I would like to see better goal output though given how strong they both are in the air. VVD is certainly capable of a 13/14 Skrtel season in terms of goals. I also hope the errors p90 start to drop as they get used to playing together and VVD continues to settle into life here.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2772 on: May 16, 2018, 07:19:38 am »
Does anyone have the clip of the bit where he actually had to sprint in the first half?   
It was bonkers.... like he had this other gear he'd been keeping secret that he has to use like 3 times a season

I'm not even sure he sprinted. Just lengthened his strides for about 4 steps and then went back to jogging. Crazy!

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #2773 on: May 16, 2018, 07:21:45 am »

Bad teeth? Only thing I can think of.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2774 on: May 16, 2018, 07:28:20 am »

The only two I can think of is he is so good he can be complacent because at times it does appear to be easy, like a bit of a stroll. Secondly he can sometimes expect a decision and stop, he needs to play to the whistle regardless.

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2775 on: May 16, 2018, 07:33:12 am »
Thank you, Coutinho

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #2776 on: May 16, 2018, 08:00:03 am »
Bad teeth? Only thing I can think of.
Oh well he’s come to the right place if he needs his teeth fixing, his new friend Bobby should have the number of someone who can help.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2777 on: May 16, 2018, 09:10:27 am »
Thank you, Coutinho

Us buying him had nothing to do with selling Coutinho.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #2778 on: May 16, 2018, 09:22:56 am »
Oh well he’s come to the right place if he needs his teeth fixing, his new friend Bobby should have the number of someone who can help.

Would be hilarious if he turned up after the summer (having it off an all) with some Firmino style grills hahaha

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2779 on: May 16, 2018, 09:32:21 am »

I read an article than he can be prone to switching off when there is little or no involvement defensively and can forget his positioning when there is an attack - perhaps the Giroud goal is an example when we were dominating the majority of the first half. Other than that he's got almost everything - pace, passing, dribbling, shot and strength. Now entering his prime and we'll be served very well next season.

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2780 on: May 16, 2018, 01:03:18 pm »
I read an article than he can be prone to switching off when there is little or no involvement defensively and can forget his positioning when there is an attack - perhaps the Giroud goal is an example when we were dominating the majority of the first half. Other than that he's got almost everything - pace, passing, dribbling, shot and strength. Now entering his prime and we'll be served very well next season.

Think that's a bit harsh. Without the flick of Mane's head, the ball was coming to Van Dijk
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline Dundalis

• Kopite
« Reply #2781 on: May 16, 2018, 01:16:15 pm »
He makes quite a lot of individual errors so far. By and large, he has been quite fortunate that only the Man City one resulted in a goal whereas almost every error Lovren makes results in a goal.

That was to be expected though as he had played very little football in the 12 months before joining us and so needs to get up to speed. Not to mention the need to adjust to our system too and all the other little adjustments that come to settling into life at a new club.

What I like about our center back pairing is they have no weaknesses (bar Lovren's dodgy back). They have the pace to deal with threats on the ground, are both very effective in the air, good upper both strength dealing with the grapplers of the league, good passers of the ball. I would like to see better goal output though given how strong they both are in the air. VVD is certainly capable of a 13/14 Skrtel season in terms of goals. I also hope the errors p90 start to drop as they get used to playing together and VVD continues to settle into life here.
I feel like VVD has exceptional football intelligence (in addition to having perfect physical and technical qualities for a CB), but he's literally the opposite of a player like John Terry in terms of intensity, which happens when someone is so naturally talented. He will actively switch off during games.

Lovren to me seems like he wants to give off the same air of superiority that he's similarly talented, but he's clearly not. I feel like he's very mentally fragile, don't get me wrong, he has good attributes and can look good when his confidence is up, but it's very easily knocked. If VVD makes a mistake for example, I don't see it affecting his performance at all, you can tell his confidence is real. To me the perfect CB next to VVD is someone who maybe not as talented, but has that dog in him. A Jamie Carragher type if you will, someone else with a real alpha mentality. I actually think having that style of player next to VVD would even help him a bit with some of the mental lapses. Any true top class CB would do me though.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 01:25:30 pm by Dundalis »

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #2782 on: May 16, 2018, 01:27:13 pm »
Think that's a bit harsh. Without the flick of Mane's head, the ball was coming to Van Dijk

I reckon some people haven't even realised yet it went off Mane's head that Moses' cross.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #2783 on: May 16, 2018, 01:28:35 pm »

I'm not sure about his hair.

But then again, I'm a bald c***, so what do I know!
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #2784 on: May 16, 2018, 02:24:20 pm »
I'm not sure about his hair.

But then again, I'm a bald c***, so what do I know!

That's more an error of judgement than a real weakness, I'd say.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #2785 on: May 16, 2018, 03:33:09 pm »
I feel like VVD has exceptional football intelligence (in addition to having perfect physical and technical qualities for a CB), but he's literally the opposite of a player like John Terry in terms of intensity, which happens when someone is so naturally talented. He will actively switch off during games.

Lovren to me seems like he wants to give off the same air of superiority that he's similarly talented, but he's clearly not. I feel like he's very mentally fragile, don't get me wrong, he has good attributes and can look good when his confidence is up, but it's very easily knocked. If VVD makes a mistake for example, I don't see it affecting his performance at all, you can tell his confidence is real. To me the perfect CB next to VVD is someone who maybe not as talented, but has that dog in him. A Jamie Carragher type if you will, someone else with a real alpha mentality. I actually think having that style of player next to VVD would even help him a bit with some of the mental lapses. Any true top class CB would do me though.
No matter what you think of Lovren as a footballer, it's important to know that this actually couldn't be possible.

You look at the year he had outside of football and a mentally fragile person simply wouldn't be able to function with that going on. That just isn't up for debate. You can talk perhaps about concentration, decision making, that he tries so hard to make up for a mistake that it creates a vicious circle perhaps. But he isn't mentally weak.

Another good example of this is given in the Melissa Reddy piece on Klopp this week. It mentions how at half time in the away leg at Man City, Klopp walked into the locker room to find Lovren tearing strips off the team. Klopp, realising that Lovren had done his team talk for him, agreed with Lovren - then criticised the him and VVD also for being too deep - then pointed out what they should be doing second half to avoid more of the same.

You can see how highly respected Lovren is in the squad. You also know that he is seen as a leader by the players. Anybody who was mentally weak wouldn't be able to command that respect or position of leadership in a group of competitive men. It just wouldn't work as a dynamic.

This isn't to say Lovren isn't without fault - just that the leaps people make to explain the cause behind those faults are usually way off the mark.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2786 on: May 16, 2018, 03:35:32 pm »
Perhaps its better to say that once he makes a mistake within the game, that tends to play on his mind and tries to overcompensate for it and ends up making a rash decision.

Which doesn't mean he's mentally weak.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #2787 on: May 16, 2018, 03:39:13 pm »
I reckon some people haven't even realised yet it went off Mane's head that Moses' cross.

It's interesting in a game of fine margins how moments like that play out. 99/100 that ball goes exactly where VVD is positioned and heads away or has too much pace for him to reach but then likely goes past the center of the goalmouth anyway. The only way the ball gets to where it did is if it touches Mane, loops over VVD but has lost enough pace that it falls behind him.

But it does touch Mane, it does fall behind VVD and therefore it's counted as a mistake by Lovren and Karius, as are all goals it seems. Thankfully Moreno wasn't playing or we would have to question whether we should be getting beaten easily there and cutting out the cross too.  :D

It reminds me somewhat of the Sevilla goal which Lovren can't cut out at the near post, but gets enough of a touch to make it bypass all the rest of our players and fall to theirs. You replay that goal 100 times and that doesn't happen again. Which makes it hard to call it a mistake as positioning is about probability. You position yourself where you are best placed to deal with the most part of the threats. If you are making the right decisions then you stop 99/100 of the passes getting through. That 1/100 will get analyzed to death though for sure!

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #2788 on: May 16, 2018, 03:43:50 pm »
Perhaps its better to say that once he makes a mistake within the game, that tends to play on his mind and tries to overcompensate for it and ends up making a rash decision.

Which doesn't mean he's mentally weak.

Things we know to be true about Lovren is he seems to really give a fuck about this club, succeeding, how he is perceived.

So when he makes a mistake that damages those three things, I think he does exactly that. He tries so hard to make up for it than he exposes himself to further mistakes. The equivalent would be Gerrard missing a chance in a game and then taking more and more low scoring chance shots in the attempt to even the score - which we seen from him many times in the past and was (reading between the lines) the reason Rafa replaced him with Lucas against Everton. Less heart, more head.

(This shouldn't need saying - but I am not comparing Lovren to Gerrard here, merely demonstrating the mechanism that humans can suffer from when trying to right a perceived wrong).
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 04:40:25 pm by BabuYagu »

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2789 on: May 16, 2018, 03:47:05 pm »
Things we know to be true about Lovren is he seems to really give a fuck about this club, succeeding, how he is perceived.

So when he makes a mistake that damages those three things, I think he does exactly that. He tries so hard to make up for it than he exposes himself to further mistakes. The equivalent would be Gerrard missing a chance in a game and then taking more and more low scoring chance shots in the attempt to even the score - which we seen from him many times in the past and was (reading between the lines) the reason Rafa replaced him with Lucas. Less heart, more head.

(This shouldn't need saying - but I am not comparing Lovren to Gerrard here, merely demonstrating the mechanism that humans can suffer from when trying to right a perceived wrong).

Well said

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2790 on: May 16, 2018, 04:01:36 pm »

Well I for one definitely didn't. Not that I watched the replay a lot, but could've sworn it was a clean cross.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #2791 on: May 16, 2018, 04:13:03 pm »
Well I for one definitely didn't. Not that I watched the replay a lot, but could've sworn it was a clean cross.

This is another one. IIRC each replay they showed didn't clearly show Mane's involvement. Maybe they should have slow motioned that part. One of the odd cases where watching it live/ in normal speed gives you a better understanding.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #2792 on: May 16, 2018, 09:09:36 pm »

the hell it did. Kane got a touch.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline God's Left Peg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2793 on: May 16, 2018, 09:15:54 pm »

Excellent post. I concur.

(Although let's face it, John Terry is a complete c*nt)
"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That's how I see football, that's how I see life."

Offline Oberyn_Martell

• Desperate for it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2794 on: May 16, 2018, 10:34:08 pm »
been so fucking good since he joined.
Mods can you change my name to Melissa x

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2795 on: May 16, 2018, 11:14:15 pm »
Against Brighton we saw him open his legs and run like Roger Black...

The first time I’ve really seen it... it was magnificent..

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Oberyn_Martell

• Desperate for it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2796 on: May 16, 2018, 11:23:07 pm »
Against Brighton we saw him open his legs and run like Roger Black...

The first time I’ve really seen it... it was magnificent..
You mean when he sprinted past that guy really fast ?? Was so surprised, he's so quick for such a gigantic person.
Mods can you change my name to Melissa x

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2797 on: May 16, 2018, 11:25:47 pm »
You mean when he sprinted past that guy really fast ?? Was so surprised, he's so quick for such a gigantic person.
Yes...

I’m not sure why I picked Roger Black as a comparison though... :lmao
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2798 on: May 17, 2018, 02:19:22 am »
He played a pass against Brighton the other day for Trent to run on to, about 70 yards, cross field daisy cutter, quite frankly it was utterly filthy, superb footballer.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2799 on: May 17, 2018, 03:49:52 am »
He has basically all the gift that a CB should have: Leadership, Understanding of Game, Mentality, Teamwork, Tackle, Passing, Speed, Aerial Control, Stamina. Simply brilliant!
Believer