The Liverpool FC Forum > Anfield Stadium

Safe Standing ( split from: Liverpool confirm decision to redevelop Anfield)

(1/380) > >>

free_at_last:
It may be a lot to ask in this money orientated day and age but I just hope we can perform this redevelopment from a fan's  point of view. Us oldies all remember the Kop of the 60's - when the results almost didn't matter - it was about the cult of Shankly and the Kopite believers and the Anfield experience forged the Liverpool unity that has persevered until today(here in OZ the Liverpool hats and scarves appear on the street when we are NOT doing well).
 I just think we have a massive opportunity - we are growing the stadium by a third - imagine if we harness that to enclose the atmosphere and grow it(I think our rivals will be looking on with trepidation). It feeds on itself and you don't have to be there in person to experience it now - it must be
invaluable to to sell that to a worldwide audience so the business wins as well.
I'm not an architect so I'm not sure how we do that - Peter has mentioned a standing Kop - looking back, what disasters were we lucky to avoid? - great to come back from 2 goals down against Everton but you look back and wonder about the hysteria and the danger that nobody saw(even after Ibrox). I can't see us going back there after our history and yet I still hope for it(in my safe position half a world away).
 Maybe it's just nostalgia but I still see that unity and YNWA belonging as being a huge part of being a Liverpool fan. People complain about the atmosphere now but it's about getting people to EXPECT an atmosphere - build it big but in close - play the songs in a predefined order so everybody knows what's coming - play the 60's songs FFS if it gets fans singing from the same hymn sheet.
A bit simplistic and idealistic maybe but it's worked for us before - such a huge loss if it's consigned to
history.

Peter McGurk:

--- Quote from: free_at_last on January 20, 2013, 01:33:30 pm ---It may be a lot to ask in this money orientated day and age but I just hope we can perform this redevelopment from a fan's  point of view. Us oldies all remember the Kop of the 60's - when the results almost didn't matter - it was about the cult of Shankly and the Kopite believers and the Anfield experience forged the Liverpool unity that has persevered until today(here in OZ the Liverpool hats and scarves appear on the street when we are NOT doing well).
 I just think we have a massive opportunity - we are growing the stadium by a third - imagine if we harness that to enclose the atmosphere and grow it(I think our rivals will be looking on with trepidation). It feeds on itself and you don't have to be there in person to experience it now - it must be
invaluable to to sell that to a worldwide audience so the business wins as well.
I'm not an architect so I'm not sure how we do that - Peter has mentioned a standing Kop - looking back, what disasters were we lucky to avoid? - great to come back from 2 goals down against Everton but you look back and wonder about the hysteria and the danger that nobody saw(even after Ibrox). I can't see us going back there after our history and yet I still hope for it(in my safe position half a world away).
 Maybe it's just nostalgia but I still see that unity and YNWA belonging as being a huge part of being a Liverpool fan. People complain about the atmosphere now but it's about getting people to EXPECT an atmosphere - build it big but in close - play the songs in a predefined order so everybody knows what's coming - play the 60's songs FFS if it gets fans singing from the same hymn sheet.
A bit simplistic and idealistic maybe but it's worked for us before - such a huge loss if it's consigned to
history.

--- End quote ---

Safe Standing is nothing like the old kop. It's nothing like the old terraces. Some of us old lags would even be disappointed with it in that respect. Have a look http://petermcgurk.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/safe-standing.html.

But getting a young crowd in with prices they can afford is the only way back to making Anfield that fortress of support again. No amount of community singing (or plastic-flag type organisation like it) is going to make that happen.

free_at_last:

--- Quote from: Peter McGurk on January 20, 2013, 01:43:17 pm ---Safe Standing is nothing like the old kop. It's nothing like the old terraces. Some of us old lags would even be disappointed with it in that respect. Have a look http://petermcgurk.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/safe-standing.html.

But getting a young crowd in with prices they can afford is the only way back to making Anfield that fortress of support again. No amount of community singing (or plastic-flag type organisation like it) is going to make that happen.

--- End quote ---
Has that actually been installed anywhere ? I just can't see a whole KOP set up like that today(even if it was safe it wouldn't LOOK safe). I could imagine a central swathe or a lower/higher tier but not the whole thing.
By the way I wasn't suggesting an organised community singing. In the old KOP we knew by instinct
what was coming up next - but it was also an evolving ritual.

Peter McGurk:

--- Quote from: free_at_last on January 20, 2013, 02:20:56 pm ---Has that actually been installed anywhere ? I just can't see a whole KOP set up like that today(even if it was safe it wouldn't LOOK safe). I could imagine a central swathe or a lower/higher tier but not the whole thing.
By the way I wasn't suggesting an organised community singing. In the old KOP we knew by instinct
what was coming up next - but it was also an evolving ritual.

--- End quote ---

You're telling me a barrier every TWO rows doesn't LOOK safe? (plus all the extra exits)

As you know, back in the day there was about 20 rows between barriers and huge sways and surges as a result. The nearest exits were at the back and side of the kop - not 7 or 8m away.

The only surge here is if the one bloke behind gets a bit over-animated. No mate this is nothing like the old days. This is safe as safe goes. It's safer than the safe guide for standing in the UK regulations (and safer than standing in a seating area which is what happens now).

Germany.

B0151?:

--- Quote from: Peter McGurk on January 20, 2013, 01:43:17 pm ---But getting a young crowd in with prices they can afford is the only way back to making Anfield that fortress of support again. No amount of community singing (or plastic-flag type organisation like it) is going to make that happen.

--- End quote ---

Simple as that for me. Shame I can't imagine it happening.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version