Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 2768623 times)

Online Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
Re: The NFL Thread
« Reply #62040 on: November 26, 2021, 07:06:31 am »
;D

Good game in Dallas though, aided by some dodgy penalty calls.
When it ends up going to OT some of those calls turned out to have mattered.

Typical Cowboys
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #62041 on: November 26, 2021, 09:55:17 am »
With the Saints losing, 49ers currently sit as 7th seed in NFC.

I suspect it’ll be short lived since I’m not sure the defence will be able to regularly stop the Vikings offence on Sunday. But I’ll enjoy being a potential play-off team for a few days.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #62042 on: November 26, 2021, 09:58:32 am »
When it ends up going to OT some of those calls turned out to have mattered.

Typical Cowboys

Plus that the Cowboys missed a PAT & an FG in regulation, although some of those penalties were questionable but those penalty calls were the same for both teams, Raiders had a bullshit false start call on the snapper for instance.
#Sausages

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #62043 on: November 26, 2021, 10:18:41 am »
the missed PAT meant nothing because they went for 2 later in the game and got it.

it was like the officials were getting paid per flag though

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62044 on: November 26, 2021, 02:02:43 pm »
Bills last 4 games:

Bills 6  Jags 9
Bills 45  Jets 17
Colts 41  Bills 15
Bills 31  Saints 6

???
King Kenny.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #62045 on: November 26, 2021, 02:56:11 pm »
Bills last 4 games:

Bills 6  Jags 9
Bills 45  Jets 17
Colts 41  Bills 15
Bills 31  Saints 6

???
Bizarre isn't it. There's been so much inconsistency this season from supposedly good teams, you can't ever be sure of a winner. Chiefs, Saints, Patriots, Titans and Ravens have all had surprise losses and then teams like The Bengals have been surprisingly good. Keeps it entertaining for neutrals at least.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Online Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62046 on: November 26, 2021, 04:00:48 pm »
Plus that the Cowboys missed a PAT & an FG in regulation, although some of those penalties were questionable but those penalty calls were the same for both teams, Raiders had a bullshit false start call on the snapper for instance.

Well yes and no. Some were just bullshit calls. The last one on Brown was a joke, there was no contact that wasn't initiated by the receiver and Brown is not required to turn towards the ball, just not to impede the receiver's movement, which he did not do at any point.

The "holding" penalty that called back the touchdown was non-existant, it's a straight up block. If you're calling that holding, you should also be calling against the Raiders on every defensive play because Parsons was held all game without getting a single flag. Be good or bad with your calls but be consistant at least.

They also ruled a clear F-Fumble + recovery as an incomplete when it's clear that the receiver had the ball for two strides and made a game action with it in his possession before losing the ball.

The Parsons "roughing the passer" penalty, I mean, come on, there were some ridiculously bad penalties called here.

Raiders got 4 points (a TD turned into a FG), 5 first downs and field position for their game-winning FG off basically incorrect calls. I'm not claiming that the Cowboys played particuliarly well or that the refs were biased against them, but they did make a lot of bad calls (for both teams) and those that went against the Cowboys had a defining impact on the result.

The Raiders snapper penalty was stupid. I know the rules state you can't raise your heels, but he's the snapper, for god's sakes! Who calls those? It's actually a good yardstick of how bad the officiating team were.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #62047 on: November 26, 2021, 04:05:53 pm »
The Lions ran the ball on a 3rd and 32.  ???

Online Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62048 on: November 26, 2021, 04:19:17 pm »
Well yes and no. Some were just bullshit calls. The last one on Brown was a joke, there was no contact that wasn't initiated by the receiver and Brown is not required to turn towards the ball, just not to impede the receiver's movement, which he did not do at any point.

The "holding" penalty that called back the touchdown was non-existant, it's a straight up block. If you're calling that holding, you should also be calling against the Raiders on every defensive play because Parsons was held all game without getting a single flag. Be good or bad with your calls but be consistant at least.

They also ruled a clear F-Fumble + recovery as an incomplete when it's clear that the receiver had the ball for two strides and made a game action with it in his possession before losing the ball.

The Parsons "roughing the passer" penalty, I mean, come on, there were some ridiculously bad penalties called here.

Raiders got 4 points (a TD turned into a FG), 5 first downs and field position for their game-winning FG off basically incorrect calls. I'm not claiming that the Cowboys played particuliarly well or that the refs were biased against them, but they did make a lot of bad calls (for both teams) and those that went against the Cowboys had a defining impact on the result.

The Raiders snapper penalty was stupid. I know the rules state you can't raise your heels, but he's the snapper, for god's sakes! Who calls those? It's actually a good yardstick of how bad the officiating team were.

Heh, I forgot Joseph getting ejected because he got tackled, held & thrown to the ground out of bounds on a punt. Joseph didn't even retaliate. Just....what?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 04:28:16 pm by Zimagic »

Online MadErik

• Legacy Fan
  • NS
« Reply #62049 on: November 26, 2021, 08:12:49 pm »
Now confirmed that Tre’Davious White’s done his ACL. Big blow for the Bills.
"I was only in the game for the love of football -- and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool."

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #62050 on: November 28, 2021, 10:41:37 pm »
What? This is the 1st comment on the NFL thread this Sunday? where's everyone?!

Big Ben may be past his prime, but Tomlin has to go.

I know, I know, I'm the only one with this opinion (for years now), but he really is out on his feet.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #62051 on: November 28, 2021, 10:49:17 pm »
What happened to Jarrod Goff?

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #62052 on: November 28, 2021, 10:54:02 pm »
Got traded to the Lions as his coach at the Rams got sick of him, basically. Straight swap for Matt Stafford, with the Rams throwing a couple of 1st round picks in as well.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62053 on: November 28, 2021, 11:28:43 pm »
Just didn’t want to post first. So many knowledgeable posters in this thread.
Watching Packers - Rams. Rodgers is killing it out there. Rams definitely still in this but Rodgers is looking confident here. Must be exhausting for the Rams.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62054 on: November 28, 2021, 11:31:33 pm »
Great news that the fucktard clusterfuck that is Dave Gettleman who had an affliction that he couldn't see a decent QB in a draft will not be staying on past this season.

Best thing that has happened this season for the Giants.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62055 on: November 28, 2021, 11:51:00 pm »
3rd straight pick 6 in 3 games by Stafford.

You can take the boy out of Detroit, but...

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #62056 on: November 29, 2021, 02:38:47 am »
Baker Mayfield being held together with string atm - seems to have a different injury every week.

Travelled to Cleveland for the Lions game last week and he was dreadful. Booed at times and got a lot of heat from the home fans. Seems to be more of the same tonight. Not sure they can do much this season so I don’t understand why they persist - it’s painful to watch.

$40m a season was touted. Not sure if that’s on the cards atm.

Offline kj999

• 180 + 90 = ...............er..............hang on................ oh yeah 180........ :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Maths Mug!
« Reply #62057 on: November 29, 2021, 03:55:10 am »
My Bengals are looking like a playoff team!! Burrow is the real deal!! WOOOOO
Clarity of Thought before Rashness of Action...

Online Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62058 on: November 29, 2021, 08:54:49 am »
Thought it was an excellent set of (3) games in the afternoon slot yesterday.

Denver’s defence was brilliant against the Chargers. Patrick Surtain II had a brilliant 4th quarter. Pick six and an interception when the Chargers were in the red zone. AFC West is a wild division with a 6-5 record at the bottom.

LA Rams-Packers was a ding dong battle. Think Rodgers being better than Stafford (1 INT, 1 fumble) proved the difference. Rams will still make the play offs and should get back to winning ways next week v the Jags. Green Bay are looking good and now have the bye week. Their schedule looks relatively weak from here on in. Wouldn’t be surprised to see them as No1 seed in the NFC come early Jan.

Also thought the 49ers and Vikings game was good. Exploded into life in the 3rd quarter. Probably saw in this game why Jimmy G and Cousins are both good QBs but why neither will ever be elite. 49ers run game was the key in the end. Elijah Mitchell had another great game and Deebo Samuel rushed for a touchdown for the 3rd consecutive game. Issue for both teams might be injuries. Dalvin Cook, Deebo Samuel and Fred Warner all left the game injured. Those players are key in their respective teams. I think both should make the play offs but not sure they will if those players are out for more than 2-4 weeks.

Luckily I think 9 wins might be enough to get a wild card spot in NFC. Will be 10 or even 11 games in AFC

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62059 on: November 29, 2021, 10:34:18 am »

I know, I know, I'm the only one with this opinion (for years now), but he really is out on his feet.
Tomlin a very good coach and would be hired so fast by somebody. Ben the bigger issue and has been for the last year or 2, they just waiting for him to retire and have find a qb

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62060 on: November 29, 2021, 10:35:06 am »
He never won a game when Sean Mcvay not his head coach. Basically he not a good qb and Mcvay scheme made him look decent.

Offline Tommypig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62061 on: November 29, 2021, 10:54:45 am »
My Bengals are looking like a playoff team!! Burrow is the real deal!! WOOOOO

Who Dey

Loving watching the Bengals

Online Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62062 on: November 29, 2021, 11:47:10 am »

Be careful what you wish for.

Tomlin has an unbelievable record as a head coach. I know it's probably frustrating not making a Super Bowl since 2010 but not having a losing regular season record in any season since 2007 is an amazing record. He's Top 20 in coaches for regular season wins and has the 4th best win percentage out of those coaches with 150 or more regular season wins.

For Pittsburgh they've seemed further away from a Super Bowl run over the last few seasons than before but still always been competitive. One of the big issues looks to be QB. They need to solve that and that could be the tipping point from being a 8-9 or 9-8 team versus being maybe a 12-5 team. Draft position never really helps them with drafting a QB early so wonder if they go for a veteran QB this offseason -  cough, cough Jimmy Garoppolo

Online Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #62063 on: November 29, 2021, 02:04:47 pm »

Wait what?

I think Tomlin is the only thing keeping that team being at least semi-competitive.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #62064 on: November 29, 2021, 02:56:08 pm »
Wait what?

I think Tomlin is the only thing keeping that team being at least semi-competitive.

I do think Tomlin is a good coach, but Big Ben is past it, as good as he's been age &  the injury's he's had have caught up with him, & the Steelers are going backwards, & i have said last couple of years Big Ben needs to retire,
#Sausages

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62065 on: November 29, 2021, 05:07:42 pm »
Maybe things have gone stale at the Steelers but most teams would kill to have a coach of Tomlin's calibre.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62066 on: November 29, 2021, 08:45:27 pm »
Lads come on. I read all your comments about Tomlin, but I'm like that "change my mind" fella at the table meme; he had an unbelievable amount of talent working under him over the years on both sides of the ball. From Ben to Brown to Bell on offense to the Dick LeBeau defense that was insane for a number of years.

The 'He'll go to another team and do amazing things' is a common thing I also heard over the years on Lovie Smith at the Bears, and a fair few others. He may, he may not. At the moment though, the Steelers stink, and have underachieved for some time now with him in charge.

I keep saying this about Tomlin, as I said it about McCarthy wasting Rodgers' best years at GB too. Both coaches were lucky to work for very traditional teams that are slow to change, and basically sat comfy on their chairs collecting cheques.

Not a Steelers fan as some of you know, but if I was I'd have to ask hang on, where is this team going? Big Ben is past it sure, but what has Tomlin done in terms of building a young core or bringing in the next man through?

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #62067 on: November 29, 2021, 11:49:17 pm »
I mean I love watching the NFL, not so clued up on it but haven't the Rams and Browns basically gone all out the last couple of years and tried to do what the Bucs actually accomplished last season? Of course they most missed the fact you need an elite QB which Stafford and Mayfield arent. from everything I've seen from the Browns is that their squad was stacked and Mayfield was just plain average.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62068 on: November 30, 2021, 03:31:15 am »
Talk of Tomlin and things looking stale, Pete Caroll needs to be unemployed now. His team look absolutely atrocious, and have done all season.

Wilson's first game missing injury (four games) seems to have absolved Caroll of responsibility for the directionless awful performances this season.

If Caroll isn't leaving, Wilson needs to do whatever it takes to save his career and get out of before next season.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62069 on: November 30, 2021, 03:43:31 am »
After matching their league worst record of five 3 and outs in a row, Wilson rushes for 10 to snap them out of it. Then they go 3 and out again. Absolute waste of an offence.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62070 on: November 30, 2021, 04:26:04 am »
Talk of Tomlin and things looking stale, Pete Caroll needs to be unemployed now. His team look absolutely atrocious, and have done all season.

Wilson's first game missing injury (four games) seems to have absolved Caroll of responsibility for the directionless awful performances this season.

If Caroll isn't leaving, Wilson needs to do whatever it takes to save his career and get out of before next season.
They havnt looked good for the last couple of season. He might have a forced retirement

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62071 on: November 30, 2021, 11:58:58 am »
Bizarre what's going on in Seattle. Wilson clearly does not want to be there and the rumoured move of last Summer seems to have been more than a rumour - it seems like he probably was actively looking to leave.

For me, Seahawks have an above average receiver corps, but an awful O Line and a defence that just can't cope with anything in the air or even against the rush. They look like they need some serious change or form of restructuring.

I don't buy that Wilson is done, I just think he's hugely demotivated and was brought back from a fairly bad hand injury too early. Something's clearly wrong. He's 33 now, which whilst not meaning his career is over given the way QBs seem to be able to last, does mean he's out of his physical prime and he used to depend on his ability to scramble a lot more than he can now. If he doesn't move, I'm not sure what future he has with the Seahawks, which is crap, because he's a franchise legend.

Season over in Seattle, worst season in 30 years and I'm not sure where they go from here.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62072 on: November 30, 2021, 12:18:08 pm »

They're even giving away their first round pick this year for that terrible Adams trade. Apart from Wilson, and a couple of the receivers, it might genuinely be the poorest roster in the NFL, among the teams who are trying to win football games this year. They'll trade Wilson in the off-season and probably not get as much as they expect in return. Their coaching staff is old and stale, the modern game clearly passed them by. The front office is also in need of a clear out: their drafting in the past 5 years or so has been atrocious and they keep throwing away first rounders for stopgap veteran "stars" who are actually a poor fit for them.

They've had a great run of almost ten years with this core, now it will take a while before they can become competitive again.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62073 on: November 30, 2021, 12:41:19 pm »
3 on the bounce for my team the 49ers

2 out of the next 3 definitely winnable too (SEA & ATL).  I'd take any wildcard berth from here.

Online Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62074 on: November 30, 2021, 01:18:27 pm »
Cowboys have Gallimore, Lamb, Cooper & Lawrence back in but Steel, Hill & the majority of the coaching staff including McCarthy are out. 8 of the staff are confirmed Covid positives. McCarthy's Asst HC will manage the game with Moore & Quinn two of the few senior coaches apparently unaffected.

Rumours are that they have been hiding, sorry, "managing" a Zeke knee injury for the past 2 weeks and are moving towards sitting him Thursday against the Saints, essentially giving him a 17 day rest between the Raiders & Washington games.

How very Cowboys.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62075 on: November 30, 2021, 03:34:02 pm »
They're even giving away their first round pick this year for that terrible Adams trade. Apart from Wilson, and a couple of the receivers, it might genuinely be the poorest roster in the NFL, among the teams who are trying to win football games this year. They'll trade Wilson in the off-season and probably not get as much as they expect in return. Their coaching staff is old and stale, the modern game clearly passed them by. The front office is also in need of a clear out: their drafting in the past 5 years or so has been atrocious and they keep throwing away first rounders for stopgap veteran "stars" who are actually a poor fit for them.

They've had a great run of almost ten years with this core, now it will take a while before they can become competitive again.
Agreed on all of that, unfortunately. They are in need of a serious rebuild, some restructuring and it will likely be a rocky road. I could see them taking 4 years+ to get back on their feet.

Who would want Wilson? I ask that because I don't know enough about the sport to fully understand scheme fits and who's doing what with their cap space. It seems that The Dolphins and maybe the Browns might be interested, given Tua hasn't taken off as expected and Mayfield feels like he's nowhere near the player he thinks he is.

Online MadErik

• Legacy Fan
  • NS
« Reply #62076 on: November 30, 2021, 03:45:52 pm »
Wilson’s clearly not fully fit. For the past few years he’s been the only reason the Hawks have been even remotely competitive, but it’s been beyond even him this year. With the O lines he’s had to play behind, the only surprising thing is that he wasn’t seriously injured long ago.
"I was only in the game for the love of football -- and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool."

Online Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62077 on: November 30, 2021, 03:52:20 pm »
3 on the bounce for my team the 49ers

2 out of the next 3 definitely winnable too (SEA & ATL).  I'd take any wildcard berth from here.

Looking at the 49ers schedule I think 2 wins out of the next 3 games - Seahawks, Bengals & Falcons- would put them in a good position. 8-6 going into the final 3 games of Titans, Texans and Rams should mean 1 win is enough to get a wild card spot.

The big issue will be not having Deebo Samuel for a few games. Need Mitchell, Kittle and Ayuik to really be prominent on offense. Other area is linebacker. Warner will miss next 1-2 weeks with a hamstring injury. Dre Greenlaw is also injured. Leaves that position, one of strength normally, quite weak. The silver lining at LB is Azeez Al-Shaair is having a break out season for 49ers. He’s grown as a player significantly since being picked up as an undrafted rookie in 2019. He had an interception and a fumble recovery versus the Vikings.

Al-Shaqiri will be an important player next week versus the Seahawks. Not sure who else plays LB since Marcell Harris is in confusion protocol to go along with Warner and Greenlaw’s injuries. Think it’ll have to be Flannigan-Fowles and potentially promote Tyrell Adams from practice squad. I don’t know much about Adams except he played for the Texans in 2020. Flannigan-Fowler’s has mainly been a special teams player and his defensive snap count is about 10% over last 1.5 seasons.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #62078 on: November 30, 2021, 03:52:27 pm »
Think the Dolphins still have there hearts set on Deshaun Watson but are waiting for his legal issues to be cleared before making the move for him, could the Steelers trade for Wilson, not sure the Steelers cap space is, & i think Ben is done as QB.
#Sausages

Online Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62079 on: November 30, 2021, 03:58:52 pm »
Are the Steelers a potential landing spot for Wilson if he’s traded this going off season?

Goes to a team that could do with improvement at QB. Steelers are arguably going to be competive in AFC with Wilson at QB. Got the draft capital to tempt the Seahawks. Also being an AFC team will help. No idea of Steelers cap space but if Roethlisberger s out then surely that frees up some funds. Think Minkah Fitzpatrick is due an extension so that might eat up some cap space for 2022 and beyond