Author Topic: The Great Persons "Cabinet" Draft - Selection Thread  (Read 9203 times)

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
The Great Persons "Cabinet" Draft - Selection Thread
« on: October 10, 2017, 09:54:38 am »
Rules:

-   1 Prime Minister
-   1 Foreign Minister/Minister of International Relations/Diplomacy
-   1 Minister of War/Defence
-   1 Minister of Finance/Economy
-   1 Minister of Science/Health
-   1 Minister of Culture/Education
-   2 Wildcards (Create your own Ministries)

At least one of your Ministers must be female.

Only real people who have actually existed are eligible, so no fictional characters, alter egos or characters from myths/legends. Religious figures are eligible, but without relying on religious scriptures as evidence (i.e. if you pick Jesus, you get the Jesus of Nazareth who gave teachings on Christianity rather than Jesus as he appears in the Bible).

There are no restrictions on who you can pick in each category, so you can pick a footballers as your Minister of Science if you really want to, although it probably wouldn’t be advisable!

Selection Order:

Lastrador
Betty Blue
Rysoph76
Samie
noname
Harold Barton
Buck Pete
Anywhichwayucan
sms1986
KingLuis
Titi Camara
Crimson_Tank
tubby
Klippity Klopp
Vishwa Atma
Eel Lobo
Sheer Magnetism
McrRed

Picks:

Lastrador: Nikola Tesla, Christopher Hitchens, Marco Polo, Charles Darwin, Subutai, Rachel Carson, Angela Merkel, Albert Camus.
Betty Blue: Hunter S Thompson, Mr. T, Salvador Dali, Maya Angelou, Andy Warhol, Rik Mayall, Pierluigi Collina,
Rysoph76: Graeme Souness, Bob Mortimer, Paul McCartney, Rod Hull, Noel Gallagher, Noel Edmonds, Johnny Ball, Madonna.
Samie: Muhammad Saeed al-Sahhaf, Sepp Blatter, Sarah Palin, Jerome Kerviel, George W. Bush,
noname: Bill Hicks, James Hansen, Nelson Mandela, Silvio Gesell, David Nutt, Aldous Huxley, Ban Ki-moon, Kate Tempest.
Harold Barton: Richard Feynman, Leonardo da Vinci, John Nash, Hannibal, Benjamin Franklin, William Shakespeare, Pericles, Hillary Clinton.
Buck Pete: Pablo Escobar, Bernie Madoff, Atilla The Hun, Beverley Callard, Quentin Tarantino, Winston Churchill, Paul Nutall.
Anywhichwayucan: Crosby Nick, Chuck Norris, Alex Jones, Liam Gallagher, Mandingo, Jurgen Klopp, George Carlin, Nigella Lawson.
sms1986: James Milner, Morgan Freeman, Galileo Galilei, Rosalind Franklin, Eleanor Roosevelt, Karl Marx, sms1986, Roberto Firmino.
KingLuis: Niccolo Machiavelli, Elon Musk, Napoleon Bonaparte, Albert Einstein, Amelia Earhart, Julius Erving, Michael Jordan, Franklin D. Roosevelt.
Titi Camara: Richard Pryor, Frankie Boyle, Stewart Lee, Charlie Brooker, Stephen Fry, Carol Vorderman, Shigeru Miyamoto, Stanley Kubrick.
Crimson_Tank: Carolus Clusius, Keith Moon, Anthony Bourdain, Garry Kasparov, Duke Ellington, George Clinton, Hemiunu, Archidamia.
tubby: Jack Churchill, Morrissey, Keith Richards, Gary Busey, Mata Hari, Michael Jackson, Danny Dyer, Louis Theroux.
Klippity Klopp: Tom Hanks, Phil Scraton, John Lennon, Sir David Attenborough, J. K. Rowling, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Kenny Dalglish, Michael Atherton.
Vishwa Atma: Sardar Patel, Sun Tzu, Hugh Hefner, Freddie Mercury, Mahatma Gandhi, Raveena Tandon, Warren Buffet, Mike Brearley.
Eel Lobo: Keith Chegwin, Larry David, John Belushi, Karl Pilkington, Timmy Mallett,
Sheer Magnetism: Martin Luther King, Marie Curie, Alexander the Great, Caroline Lucas, Audrey Hepburn, John Waters, Hayato Ikeda, Eliot Ness
McrRed: Bob Paisley, Malcolm X, Ho Chi Minh, Imhotep, Boudicca, Jimi Hendrix,
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 10:12:38 pm by KingLuis10 »

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
Re: The Great Persons "Cabinet" Draft - Selection Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 10:10:31 am »
Nikola Tesla - Minister of Energy

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 11:53:30 am »
Hunter S Thompson - Minister of Health

This is a guy who lived the most ridiculously extravagant lifestyle and yet still lived to 67. Sure, he blew his own brains out. But he also had his ashes blown out of a canon with fireworks for his funeral, while Dylan's Mr Tambourine Man was played. I can think of no safer pair of hands for this job in my cabinet.

"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 02:47:24 pm »
Rysoph76 picks Graeme Souness for Minister of Defence
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 03:25:51 pm »
Minister of War/Defence- Muhammad Saeed al-Sahhaf

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 03:32:38 pm »
Minister of Culture/Education - Bill Hicks

Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Watching television is like taking black spray paint to your third eye.

We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth, and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Children are smarter than any of us. Know how I know that? I don't know one child with a full time job and children.

I get a kick out of being an outsider constantly. It allows me to be creative.

If you don't think drugs have done good things for us, then take all of your records, tapes and CD's and burn them.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Harold Barton

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 04:54:22 pm »

First pick has to be Feynman, with or without the P to take the Science / Health portfolio. The only one of my picks I would be gutted to miss out. If you have never heard / read his work, you must do so.

I'll live leave you with a link to a Shuttle disaster anecdote:
http://www.fotuva.org/online/frameload.htm?/online/challenger.htm

« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 04:55:56 pm by Titi Camara »

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 05:30:53 pm »
Minister of Commerce/Business - Pablo Emilio Escobar Gaviria

So glad I got Big P as my first pick

Pablo was up for a few other cabinet positions, Minister for Transport, Minister for War/Defence, Hell he even had a shot at being President of Columbia so why not Prime Minister of my government.

I eventually decided to call on his savvy business acumen rather than leaning toward the strong arm or smuggling aspects of his extensive CV. 

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 05:36:14 pm »
AWWUC selects............drum roll please!.............

Prime Minister - Crosby Nick

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 05:45:06 pm »
Minister of Energy - James Milner

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 06:02:46 pm »
If we're going to be squaring off at the negotiating table against such intellectual greats as Tesla, Feynman and Crosby Nick, we'll have to have someone who can hold his own.

What better than some good ol' fashioned treachery, swindling, treason and plot?? (sit down Jose...)

NICCOLO MACHIAVELLI - Foreign Minister

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 06:04:36 pm »
Titi Picks:

Minister for Social Reform - Richard Pryor

I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 07:24:19 pm »
Minister of Finance and Economic (and Tulip) Growth

From a literal seed his work blossomed into something that changed the world of economics. He was instrumental in the creation of the Futures Market, the first Financial Bubble (which didn't ruin the whole economy), promissory notes, Sequestered Capital, and it assisted in the forming of the middle class.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 08:17:14 pm »
Minister of Defence/All Out war - 'Mad' Jack Churchill

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Churchill
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 09:06:19 pm »
Prime Minister

Tom Hanks

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 10:48:29 pm »
Minister of War - Keith Chegwin

If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 11:44:12 pm »
Prime Minister: Martin Luther King

Minister of Science/Health: Marie Curie

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2017, 08:56:12 am »
I'll get the pics later if that's ok but:

BOB PAISLEY Prime Minister
MALCOLM X Minister of Culture/Education

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2017, 09:00:03 am »
Prime Minister - Larry David

Offline Vishwa Atma

• Legacy Fan
  • Money for nothing....
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2017, 10:06:37 am »
Minister of External Affairs

Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel

As the first Home Minister and Deputy Prime Minister of India, Patel organised relief efforts for refugees fleeing from Punjab and Delhi and worked to restore peace across the nation. He led the task of forging a united India, successfully integrating into the newly independent nation those British colonial provinces that had been "allocated" to India. Besides those provinces that had been under direct British rule, approximately 565 self-governing princely states had been released from British suzerainty by the Indian Independence Act of 1947. Employing frank diplomacy with the expressed option to deploy military force, Patel persuaded almost every princely state to accede to India. His commitment to national integration in the newly independent country was total and uncompromising, earning him the sobriquet "Iron Man of India"

Minister of War

Sun Tzu

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2017, 10:37:33 am »
Minister of Justice

Professor Phil Scraton

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 11:05:25 am »
Foreign Minster - Morrissey

« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 11:17:25 am by tubby »
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2017, 12:28:16 pm »
That wonderful bearded bastard....Frankie Boyle as Prime Minister

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2017, 12:50:38 pm »
I’m thinking of building a team of half-way crooks, so I need at least one good guy in there to save us when things inevitably go tits up. In charge of saving the world, while also beating your shitty countries ;D in the new space race to colonize Mars, is none other than the main man…

ELON MUSK
[Minister of Science]

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2017, 01:00:24 pm »
Minister for Social Reform and Hotel Destruction: Keith Moon

Beyond his antics of cars being put into swimming pools, being banned from all Holiday Inn's, banned from whole cities (Flint), his penchant for explosives, and wild parting... Mr. Moon took anything for the elites and transformed it into something for the masses, buy a Bentley and paint it lilac, park your RR in the duck pond. 

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2017, 02:20:23 pm »
Minister of Defence - Chuck Norris

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2017, 02:42:35 pm »
Minister of Finance/Economy - Bernard Lawrence "Bernie" Madoff

Fraudster yes. Good with numbers yes.  Put it this way I would have rather had Bernie as chancellor than George Gideon Oliver Osborne, son of Sir Peter Osborne, 17th Baronet of Ballentaylor and Ballylemon and Felicity Alexandra Loxton-Peacock, educated at St. Paul's and Magdalen College, Oxford.

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2017, 04:10:25 pm »
Minister of Environment and Climate Change

James Hansen - arguably the person who first identified the issue of climate change while working for NASA and the person most likely to actually do something to mitigate it.

James Edward Hansen (born 29 March 1941) is an American adjunct professor in the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences at Columbia University. He is best known for his research in climatology, his 1988 Congressional testimony on climate change that helped raise broad awareness of global warming, and his advocacy of action to avoid dangerous climate change. In recent years he has become a climate activist to mitigate the effects of climate change, on a few occasions leading to his arrest.

In 2003, Hansen wrote a paper called "Can We Defuse the Global Warming Time Bomb?" in which he argued that human-caused forces on the climate are now greater than natural ones, and that this, over a long time period, can cause large climate changes. He further states that a lower limit on “dangerous anthropogenic interference” is set by the stability of the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets. His view on actions to mitigate climate change is that "halting global warming requires urgent, unprecedented international cooperation, but the needed actions are feasible and have additional benefits for human health, agriculture and the environment."

"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2017, 04:37:30 pm »
Foreign Minister- Sepp Blatter

Offline Harold Barton

• Main Stander
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2017, 05:07:53 pm »
Minister of Culture: Leonardo da Vinci

« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 09:35:14 pm by Harold Barton »

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2017, 05:47:14 pm »
Mr. T - Minister of War/Defence

I pity the fool who messes with my nation. Mr T is the perfect man to command respect and protect the people. Apart from being an all round awesome and well loved dude (hell, he was even invited to the White House to play Santa in the 80s), he also knew how to play it straight and was intimidating as fuck when he wanted to be. So much so that he served as a bodyguard to stars such as Muhammad Ali, Steve McQueen, Michael Jackson, Joe Frazier and Diana Ross. His business card apparently read “Next to God, there is no better protector than I.”

As for military experience, before he began acting he enlisted in the United States Army and served in the Military Police Corps. He was awarded a letter of recommendation by his drill sergeant, and in a cycle of six thousand troops was elected "Top Trainee of the Cycle" and promoted to squad leader. In a rather infamous tale, his platoon sergeant once punished him by giving him the detail of chopping down trees during a training camp, but did not tell him how many trees, and when another sergeant returned he was shocked to discover that "Mr. T" had chopped down 70 trees in under 4 hours  :o  ;D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Y0ir6AlHM5s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Y0ir6AlHM5s</a>
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2017, 06:00:07 pm »
Prime Minister - Morgan Freeman

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2017, 06:51:13 pm »
Salvador Dali - Minister of Culture

Totally nuts and therefore totally perfect for upholding the creative endeavours of whichever lunatics decide to live under the rule of my cabinet.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2017, 07:00:50 pm »
Minister of Education - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2017, 07:10:20 pm »
Foreign Minister - Marco Polo

« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 07:57:08 pm by Lastrador »

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2017, 08:44:48 pm »
Minister of Culture/Education- Sarah Palin

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2017, 09:02:22 pm »
Nelson Mandela - Prime Minister

Offline Harold Barton

• Main Stander
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2017, 09:30:41 pm »
Finance / Education: John Forbes Nash Jr

His work on Game Theory underpins most modern economic thought.

For the unwashed out there, yes its the bloke from A Beautiful Mind.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2017, 09:49:44 pm »
Minister for War/Defence - Atilla The Hun

A behemoth of a man. Warrior, leader, fearless and ambitious.  I can imagine a 21st century Atilla who could read, write and have everything that we are accustomed to today at his disposal, would be as successful now as he was back in the 5th century.

During his time, Atilla and his barbarian army sacked and conquered over 100 cities across eastern and mainland Europe.

Hell, the man even had a good crack at finishing off the Roman Empire!! OK, I admit the Roman Empire was already in decline when Atilla swept through their lands, but still!!

He is even reported to have died a rock-stars death following a drinking binge.  Very similar to Bon Scott as it happens.

6th Century Historian Jordanes wrote of Atilla

"He was a man born into the world to shake the nations, the scourge of all lands, who in some way terrified all mankind by the rumors noised abroad concerning him. He was haughty in his walk, rolling his eyes hither and thither, so that the power of his proud spirit appeared in the movement of his body. He was indeed a lover of war, yet restrained in action; mighty in counsel, gracious to suppliants, and lenient to those who were once received under his protection."

Historian Will Durant (following the descriptions from ancient accounts like those of Priscus) writes of Attila:

"He differed from the other barbarian conquerors in trusting to cunning more than to force. He ruled by using the heathen superstitions of his people to sanctify his majesty; his victories were prepared by the exaggerated stories of his cruelty which perhaps he had himself originated; at last even his Christian enemies called him the "scourge of God" and were so terrified by his cunning that only the Goths could save them. He could neither read nor write, but this did not detract from his intelligence. He was not a savage; he had a sense of honor and justice, and often proved himself more magnanimous than the Romans. He lived and dressed simply, ate and drank moderately, and left luxury to his inferiors,"

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/c_QA30DDt3o&amp;t=325s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/c_QA30DDt3o&amp;t=325s</a>
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 12:11:21 pm by GV66 LJF »

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2017, 09:54:56 pm »
No more fluoride in your water!

My Minister for Health - Alex Jones