Author Topic: UFC/MMA thread  (Read 1894114 times)

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
Re: UFC/MMA thread
« Reply #28840 on: September 9, 2019, 09:28:05 am »
You’re saying MMA is nothing without Conor McGregor, at a time when it’s thriving in the UK. We’ve got 2 top 10 WW in Till and Edwards, albeit with Till about to move up to MW. Plus Grundy, a genuine world class wrestler from Wigan recently debuting in the UFC. Then there’s Arnold Allen who’s won twice this year in the UFC. Molly McCann is another example. Won’t even get started on the talent coming out of Cage Warriors that’ll no doubt be making it’s way into the UFC over the coming 12-18 months.

Another example across the globe is the UFC have just opened a performance institute in Shanghai, 3 times bigger than the one in Nevada! Plenty of metrics to get stuck into there.

But sound, let’s just use Conor and PPV numbers as measure of how the sport is doing. To be honest as I said earlier, not the brightest, I’m done here. Shame cause the thread has got some knowledgeable posters, but as per fucking usual derailed by Conor McGregor discussions.

Look at what he said after the Stipe/Cormier fight. He's the perfect stereotype of the pro wrestling nerd who latched onto the sport because they found McGregor hilarious and then shit on everything else related to the sport.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28841 on: September 9, 2019, 03:06:39 pm »
Look at what he said after the Stipe/Cormier fight. He's the perfect stereotype of the pro wrestling nerd who latched onto the sport because they found McGregor hilarious and then shit on everything else related to the sport.

Go back and read what I posted about Conor instead. And if you keep looking you'll see I've been watching since PRIDE, a few years before you saw Forrest/Bonnar and became a fan.

Surely the need him now, more than ever?
Is that you, Claus?

Got a question for you and BER (if he's still posting), any idea as to the decline of popularity of the UFC?
It's tempting to think that the growth was solely due to piggybacking off Ronda and McGregor (at least towards the last few years), but I wonder if the appetite for MMA amongst the general populace is always going to be slightly limited. Might be one of thise sports that are for a niche market and only attracts additional viewers on a case by case (or fighter by fighter basis).

I know I just contradicted myself in that paragraph, but I mean that there wasn't really a rise in popularity of MMA, just a rise popularity of Ronda and McGregor. And now that they're gone, the sport is back with it's niche supporters. Quality of fights are higher, more fighters are getting trained within higher quality training environments, but the general populace just isn't as interested in MMA.

*Edit, so in  a way, both yourself and Spectrum are right in your points, as long as you separate popularity and growth amongst viewers vs popularity and growth in MMA training and fighter base. Popularity and viewers are decreasing for watching MMA, but increasing amongst a small subset of the population that are interested in training and possibly a career in MMA.

The big rise in the popularity of MMA began in 05 when guys like BER found The Ultimate Fighter. That first season was the absolute perfect storm for the first time viewer, and guys like Chuck and Tito were awesome guys to keep those viewers interested. That was when the sport stepped into the mainstream for the first time and that was when gyms started popping up all over the country.

That boom can't ever be replicated (the floor for PPVs went from ~50k to about 300k) but what UFC have been able to do is more or less stay on top of that wave. They kept finding/building new draws to keep the sport in the public eye. When BS (ha!) talks about buyrates meaning nothing to the average fan, he's being myopic at best. Those people buying.the events are into it enough to talk about it and pay money for it. That creates a buzz that sustains the sport's interest in the public eye. Some people will buy it, some people will go to a friend's house to watch it, and quite a few more will go to a bar for the event. Guys fighting on the undercard of a high drawing event could put on a show and end up creating their own fans, which creates other stars who can headline PPVs and draw their own buys.

The lineage I mentioned in a previous post (from Chuck to Conor) essentially kept the sport thriving at a time when PPV as a market was regressing. Now that there's only one real star, and he's semi-retired, you're starting to see the effects - PPV is falling, there's no buzz at all and nobody is really paying attention to the sport.

My throwaway comment that BS decided to jump on was that the product (UFC) is ice cold without Conor - and it is. There's no buzz around Khabib or Max or any of the other top names. UFC haven't replaced their last draws (Rousey and Lesnar) and it shows.

You're right in that it's a niche sport and it's popularity is limited. And you're also right that the sport could potentially grow within it's niche - WWE have made more and more money off a smaller audience than ever before - but UFC has been on such a run for such a long time that it's wild to me that they're in such an irrelevant state right now. I'm not even sure it's Dana's fault even though he's a bald idiot - people just aren't connecting with elite fighters and loud personalities like they used to.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28842 on: September 10, 2019, 09:51:12 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/c2HGRllNZXE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/c2HGRllNZXE</a>

Offline hulksagoodboy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28843 on: September 10, 2019, 11:57:56 pm »
Go back and read what I posted about Conor instead. And if you keep looking you'll see I've been watching since PRIDE, a few years before you saw Forrest/Bonnar and became a fan.

The big rise in the popularity of MMA began in 05 when guys like BER found The Ultimate Fighter. That first season was the absolute perfect storm for the first time viewer, and guys like Chuck and Tito were awesome guys to keep those viewers interested. That was when the sport stepped into the mainstream for the first time and that was when gyms started popping up all over the country.

That boom can't ever be replicated (the floor for PPVs went from ~50k to about 300k) but what UFC have been able to do is more or less stay on top of that wave. They kept finding/building new draws to keep the sport in the public eye. When BS (ha!) talks about buyrates meaning nothing to the average fan, he's being myopic at best. Those people buying.the events are into it enough to talk about it and pay money for it. That creates a buzz that sustains the sport's interest in the public eye. Some people will buy it, some people will go to a friend's house to watch it, and quite a few more will go to a bar for the event. Guys fighting on the undercard of a high drawing event could put on a show and end up creating their own fans, which creates other stars who can headline PPVs and draw their own buys.

The lineage I mentioned in a previous post (from Chuck to Conor) essentially kept the sport thriving at a time when PPV as a market was regressing. Now that there's only one real star, and he's semi-retired, you're starting to see the effects - PPV is falling, there's no buzz at all and nobody is really paying attention to the sport.

My throwaway comment that BS decided to jump on was that the product (UFC) is ice cold without Conor - and it is. There's no buzz around Khabib or Max or any of the other top names. UFC haven't replaced their last draws (Rousey and Lesnar) and it shows.

You're right in that it's a niche sport and it's popularity is limited. And you're also right that the sport could potentially grow within it's niche - WWE have made more and more money off a smaller audience than ever before - but UFC has been on such a run for such a long time that it's wild to me that they're in such an irrelevant state right now. I'm not even sure it's Dana's fault even though he's a bald idiot - people just aren't connecting with elite fighters and loud personalities like they used to.

Also over saturation, there are events almost every weekend so a lot of fighters just wash in together. Which in turn makes it harder to give them(/selves) the push.. you get the exceptions but half the time they get needlessly thrown too far ahead of their own development because the organizations are in desperate need of those draws (UFC w. Till, Bellator w. Pico being two recent examples)

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #28844 on: September 11, 2019, 12:28:41 am »
I’ve lost interest in it. I started watching ages ago but honestly just can’t get into the current crop.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28845 on: September 11, 2019, 12:59:47 am »
Also over saturation, there are events almost every weekend so a lot of fighters just wash in together. Which in turn makes it harder to give them(/selves) the push.. you get the exceptions but half the time they get needlessly thrown too far ahead of their own development because the organizations are in desperate need of those draws (UFC w. Till, Bellator w. Pico being two recent examples)

I agree, Till could have had a few more and really built a resume as well as test his skills against good but not great guys.

Now he's been exposed.

I’ve lost interest in it. I started watching ages ago but honestly just can’t get into the current crop.

I used to watch every fight, every time. Now I barely see three fights a month if that.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #28846 on: September 11, 2019, 11:12:11 am »
UFC242...that's after Nate 'Needle mover' Diaz at 241...

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/early-numbers-for-ufc-242-suggest-massive-payperview-event-032703309.html

Just 18 months ago, it would have been folly to suggest that lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov would have been part of the two biggest pay-per-view shows in UFC history.

But if the current trends hold, it could well happen.

After selling 2 million pay-per-views at UFC 229 in his fourth-round submission of Conor McGregor at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas on Oct. 6, 2018, in what turned out to be the biggest MMA fight in history, Nurmagomedov is poised to do it again.

Early traffic numbers for UFC.com and its social media accounts prior to UFC 242 on Saturday in Abu Dhabi are similar to what they were before Nurmagomedov fought McGregor at UFC 229. Nurmagomedov will make the second defense of his title on Saturday against interim champion Dustin Poirier in the main event of UFC 242.

As it often does, the UFC released old fights featuring the main event fighters via social media. It released two featuring Nurmagomedov and two featuring Poirier. On YouTube, those four fights have had 35 million views on the global UFC channel as of Tuesday evening PT, while they’ve gotten 49 million views at the same point on Facebook and 13.8 million views on Instagram.

The number of views of the free fights is the most the UFC has ever gotten and there are still three full days before the fight.

The free fights were Nurmagomedov against Michael Johnson (UFC 205) and against McGregor (UFC 229). The Nurmagomedov-Johnson fight already has over 15.8 million views on YouTube, and it’s the fifth most-watched UFC video ever on Facebook. The Nurmagomedov-McGregor replay got five million views in the first 24 hours, UFC president Dana White told Yahoo Sports.

White said company research estimates UFC 242 will be their second-largest event on YouTube, behind only UFC 229, which did 102 million views.

Nurmagomedov is fighting for the first time since his win over McGregor at UFC 229. After McGregor tapped out, Nurmagomedov leaped over the cage to attack McGregor cornerman Dillon Danis. He was suspended for nine months, but refused to return until the one-year suspension of his teammates, Abubakar Nurmagomedov and Zubaira Tukhugov, had ended.

White said that being in a big event like that boosted Nurmagomedov’s stardom.

“Every time we do a big fight it just builds another big fight and builds bigger stars,” White said.

Referring to the outsized interest in UFC 242, White added, “Plus I think the return of Khabib has been highly anticipated.”

As of Tuesday, UFC 242-related content across all UFC platforms had more than 112 million views.

“That’s how big this fight is,” White said.

The biggest detriment to approaching 2 million sales is the change in start times. UFC pay-per-view events begin at 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT, with the main event starting roughly two hours after that.

For UFC 242, though, the main card will start at 2 p.m. ET/11 a.m. PT. Some fans who are accustomed to watching in the evening will undoubtedly miss it by tuning in late.

“I’m hammering the start time every way I can,” White said.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #28847 on: September 12, 2019, 06:22:44 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/c2HGRllNZXE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/c2HGRllNZXE</a>

Nice ;)

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28848 on: September 12, 2019, 09:34:18 pm »
Good article in the Athletic (subscription only) titled ‘From $10,000 to $100 million annually: How big brands eventually warmed up to the UFC’.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28849 on: September 13, 2019, 06:14:57 pm »
Some amount of salt in this thread for McGregor, and he's only fought once in what?, 2 years?, like him or loathe him people still talk about him.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28850 on: September 13, 2019, 07:01:08 pm »
Some amount of salt in this thread for McGregor, and he's only fought once in what?, 2 years?, like him or loathe him people still talk about him.
That's the problem I have with him now. He hasn't fought in 2 years. That and he's an utter dickhead for sucker punching someone in a bar because they told him to take his shit whiskey and shove it up his hole. For any kind of pro fighter - especially someone who calls themselves a martial artist - to do that is low as fuck. He's got a lot of making up for if he ever wants to get half his fans back, because he's lost a lot of them for that.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28851 on: September 13, 2019, 07:17:04 pm »
That's the problem I have with him now. He hasn't fought in 2 years. That and he's an utter dickhead for sucker punching someone in a bar because they told him to take his shit whiskey and shove it up his hole. For any kind of pro fighter - especially someone who calls themselves a martial artist - to do that is low as fuck. He's got a lot of making up for if he ever wants to get half his fans back, because he's lost a lot of them for that.
I agree that he's a twat, I'm just saying it shows he's still very much relevant in the sphere of MMA despite only fighting once in 2 years, he's box office.

Offline RedSamba

• Legacy Fan
  • EUROPEAN ROYALTY
« Reply #28852 on: September 15, 2019, 11:09:59 am »
Cerrone should take a break

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28853 on: September 16, 2019, 05:20:44 pm »
Cerrone should take a break

Yeah he should, he’s no-where near the elite level LW’s. To be honest before Saturday was thinking Conor would be a great match up, but even he would smoke him the way he’s fighting at the moment.

Justin Gaethje is an animal though.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28854 on: September 17, 2019, 04:56:23 pm »
Gaethje would put hands on McGregor if that fight happens. Also a solid wrestler so not a safe fight for him at all to be returning to.

Offline ganson

• Main Stander
  • Vetlanda Kopite
« Reply #28855 on: October 4, 2019, 08:09:26 pm »
Not the best card this weekend but the titlefight and co-main should be great.

Whitaker by TKO for me.

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28856 on: October 5, 2019, 06:41:39 pm »
Want Adesanya to win as I like the guy but Whittaker is a different animal. And if he does somehow beat him, the next guy waiting for him is Paolo Costa. No-win situation.

Offline RedSamba

• Legacy Fan
  • EUROPEAN ROYALTY
« Reply #28857 on: October 5, 2019, 06:55:52 pm »
I like them both. Just hoping for a nice 5 round war, don't want to wake up that early for 30 sec finish :D

Offline Sweeney94

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #28858 on: October 6, 2019, 04:51:53 am »
Does anyone have a stream?

Offline Butter Keks

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #28859 on: October 6, 2019, 05:36:16 am »
Damn, that last left hook was fucking CLEAN.

Adesanya is for real.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28860 on: October 6, 2019, 05:37:03 am »
Damn, that last left hook was fucking CLEAN.

Adesanya is for real.

He's got one tough fight left (Costa) and then he's basically just gonna pick off old dudes for a few years like Weidman did.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28861 on: October 6, 2019, 05:54:09 am »
What a performance, hardly took any damage either. Reminded me of McGregor ve Alvarez where one guy was getting lit up and the other was just picking his shots at will.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28862 on: October 6, 2019, 10:39:14 am »
What a performance, hardly took any damage either. Reminded me of McGregor ve Alvarez where one guy was getting lit up and the other was just picking his shots at will.

I dunno, I thought Whittaker had some success, McGregor put on a master class against Eddie! I love everything about Stylebender, Anik and DC were spot on that he just has the X Factor (that entrance!) but I genuinely wouldn’t be surprised to see Costa clean his clock.

He is fast as fuck, accurate, has KO power and a huge reach but I think Gastelum and to a certain degree Whittaker show his vulnerabilities and that is leaning back with his chin in the air when he is being swung at, Izzy has gotten away with it against smaller opponents as they haven’t been able to capitalise but I think Costa could cause him real problems

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28863 on: October 6, 2019, 02:13:48 pm »
I dunno, I thought Whittaker had some success, McGregor put on a master class against Eddie! I love everything about Stylebender, Anik and DC were spot on that he just has the X Factor (that entrance!) but I genuinely wouldn’t be surprised to see Costa clean his clock.

He is fast as fuck, accurate, has KO power and a huge reach but I think Gastelum and to a certain degree Whittaker show his vulnerabilities and that is leaning back with his chin in the air when he is being swung at, Izzy has gotten away with it against smaller opponents as they haven’t been able to capitalise but I think Costa could cause him real problems

He called out Bones which would probably not end well for him, but it would be interesting to see him without a significant height advantage.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #28864 on: October 6, 2019, 02:19:18 pm »
Woeful game plan by Whittaker, seemed to believe his striking was on the same level and could win a pure kickboxing match. Prime Andy would've knocked him out inside two minutes fighting like that, just sayin...

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28865 on: October 6, 2019, 07:27:19 pm »
He called out Bones which would probably not end well for him, but it would be interesting to see him without a significant height advantage.

Massive for his bank account but Jones would ruin him and then some and I’m a fan of Adesanya. There are levels to this shit and he isn’t anywhere near ready for Jonny Bones Jones

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28866 on: October 13, 2019, 09:56:10 am »
Some good scraps last night, Mackenzie Dern is a bit nuts coming back so quick so fair fucking play! Cub against Kron was a good tear up and Michelle Waterson and Joanna was a great fight for the full five.

The up kick that finished Vick was a cracker, looked like it broke his jaw

Offline RedSamba

• Legacy Fan
  • EUROPEAN ROYALTY
« Reply #28867 on: October 24, 2019, 11:21:22 am »
McGregor is coming back on January 18 apparently

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #28868 on: October 24, 2019, 12:04:59 pm »
Ah the circus returns.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 12:08:20 pm by gazzalfc »

Offline eddymunster

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #28869 on: October 24, 2019, 12:40:59 pm »
Ah the circus returns.

Doesn't care who is opponent is? Nganou got any fights lined up?
Brexit (n) - "The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed."

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28870 on: October 24, 2019, 01:07:45 pm »
Of course he gives a fuck who the opponent is. Tony and Khabib would absolutely destroy him. Gaethje would probably fuck him up as well. It seems like it's going to be Cowboy which for me is massively underwhelming. A win against a journeyman like Cerrone does nothing for him.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #28871 on: October 24, 2019, 01:15:33 pm »
Guess this will be one they put on BT Box Office

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28872 on: October 24, 2019, 02:31:33 pm »
The WWE fans will be happy then. MMA is back everyone, Conor McGregor has returned.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28873 on: October 24, 2019, 05:38:11 pm »
Cerrone is a ridiculous choice, and apparently he wanted Edgar first.

(Feels good to hate this guy again)

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #28874 on: October 24, 2019, 06:40:00 pm »
I don’t think anyone really gives a shit do they? It’s not like he’s gonna make a title run.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28875 on: October 24, 2019, 09:18:35 pm »
I doubt he'll ever hold a UFC belt now. He gets his ass beat by Khabib/Tony at lightweight. Holloway would most likely beat him at featherweight and if he goes up to welterweight he would get mauled by Usman or Woodley.

Didn't realise Randy Couture had a heart attack. Hope he gets well soon.

Offline RedSamba

• Legacy Fan
  • EUROPEAN ROYALTY
« Reply #28876 on: October 24, 2019, 09:54:00 pm »
in other news Aldo is making 135 to fight Moraes on Dec. 14  ???

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28877 on: October 24, 2019, 11:07:54 pm »
Diaz tested positive for ‘tainted supplements’ so looks like the fight is off.

FFS

https://twitter.com/natediaz209/status/1187483429803196416?s=21

Offline gomez

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28878 on: October 24, 2019, 11:39:12 pm »
Being reported that Leon Edwards has been lined up as a replacement for Diaz.

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #28879 on: October 25, 2019, 12:04:27 am »
 :'(
YNWA