Author Topic: The Balkan Express XI Draft  (Read 30758 times)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Balkan Express XI Draft
« Reply #200 on: June 26, 2019, 11:36:43 pm »
Boksic was great, big and strong and a good finisher. How the fuck did he end up wasting a few years at Middlesbrough (there’s a fair few who can ask themselves that question)?

He was already past his best at the time, for some reason Boro had a weird attraction for players [Mendieta,Zenden, and so many others]

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #201 on: June 26, 2019, 11:52:01 pm »
;D You did sound hurt at the time, but he was the greatest bar none.

Agreed, mate. I've been looking into the possibility he was actually born in Slovenia and was smuggled over the border by gypsies as a bairn.
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #202 on: June 26, 2019, 11:58:00 pm »
Agreed, mate. I've been looking into the possibility he was actually born in Slovenia and was smuggled over the border by gypsies as a bairn.

;D
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #203 on: June 27, 2019, 12:13:19 am »
I have El Lobo's pick so will check in the morning before I go.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #204 on: June 27, 2019, 12:14:11 am »
Vascovic is a great pick. I was really hoping that he would sneak through for another few rounds.

If you read about how important he was for the great Ajax team of early 70's, its surprising to me that he never comes up in these drafts more often. He played in three european cup finals. Took a team that was minnows at the time he joined to their first European Cup win as a captain.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #205 on: June 27, 2019, 12:25:13 am »
I'm up for a bit what time is El Lobo to pick at?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #206 on: June 27, 2019, 12:27:26 am »
I'm up for a bit what time is El Lobo to pick at?

SPS was up... but I am pretty sure its been an hour.

Eel Lobo is after that. 

DeFacto?  What do you think?
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: June 27, 2019, 12:45:49 am »
Seeing as we never established what the cutoff time is for the day, I'd say we continue tomorrow. Give them until 9 am[UK] tomorrow to make their pick [Sir Psycho and Lobo], that way it's fair for everyone. Going forward it's up to you lot what you think the cutoff time should be for the day drafting wise. Since the majority of yous are in the UK/Europe, we'll obviously go with your time. Perhaps till 23:00?[UK]

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: June 27, 2019, 12:47:20 am »
Vascovic is a great pick. I was really hoping that he would sneak through for another few rounds.

If you read about how important he was for the great Ajax team of early 70's, its surprising to me that he never comes up in these drafts more often. He played in three european cup finals. Took a team that was minnows at the time he joined to their first European Cup win as a captain.

Yes he's really a hidden gem, the first time I saw him picked was in the recent Derby draft we did.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #209 on: June 27, 2019, 01:06:14 am »
SSP is online so I'll hang on for a bit.
Y.N.W.A.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: June 27, 2019, 01:39:48 am »
SSP is online so I'll hang on for a bit.

Does Lastrador know its his turn by PM?  Its a kinda of rite of passage to miss him when its his turn when he's online.

He made a polite post last draft --- so I thought I would check Sarge>
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #211 on: June 27, 2019, 01:44:43 am »
Does Lastrador know its his turn by PM?  Its a kinda of rite of passage to miss him when its his turn when he's online.

He made a polite post last draft --- so I thought I would check Sarge>

I did.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #212 on: June 27, 2019, 02:02:04 am »
Ill do mine first thing in the morning if its my turn.
Y.N.W.A.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: June 27, 2019, 02:31:12 am »
Don't you lot ever sleep? :D.

Lastrador with Dzeko as a fantastic pick imo, underrated player [proven his worth in 3 leagues in Europe], and Jugovic was a great choice as well, played part in Juve and Marseille winning the CL.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #214 on: June 27, 2019, 03:22:01 am »
Don't you lot ever sleep? :D.

Lastrador with Dzeko as a fantastic pick imo, underrated player [proven his worth in 3 leagues in Europe], and Jugovic was a great choice as well, played part in Juve and Marseille winning the CL.
Uruguayan time baby, I'll be pickin’ while you sleepin’.  ;D

Thanks mate, I think he's a terrific player and criminally underrated. So consistent for so many years now. There were some others great options in his position but judging their overall careers and output, I just couldn’t go with anybody else.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: June 27, 2019, 09:04:44 am »
So whats the criteria for picks with parents/parent from one of the nations again?

If for example a parent is ethnically belonging to one of the nations but was likely born in times when the borders used to be very different. Does that count? I am not an immigration expert but I think he would have been eligible to play for one of the countries in this draft if he wanted.

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #216 on: June 27, 2019, 09:25:49 am »
So whats the criteria for picks with parents/parent from one of the nations again?

If for example a parent is ethnically belonging to one of the nations but was likely born in times when the borders used to be very different. Does that count? I am not an immigration expert but I think he would have been eligible to play for one of the countries in this draft if he wanted.

If you can see which nation their parents belonged to that will work or if you can see a birth place and locate it within a current state, think that would work too. If it fits multiple criteria, guess you can just pick which one you want.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #217 on: June 27, 2019, 09:30:41 am »
If you can see which nation their parents belonged to that will work or if you can see a birth place and locate it within a current state, think that would work too. If it fits multiple criteria, guess you can just pick which one you want.

This rule is definitely going to cause drama at some point  :D  :-X
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: June 27, 2019, 09:38:06 am »

Yeah for sure. The fella I am thinking will definitely cause controversy. Because I can't track his parents birth place. But I know one of them is Yugoslav by ethnicity. All I was able to find was historical migration pattern that suggest that its likely his parents would have first or second generation immigrants from Yugoslavia.

I found an article about his ancestry but its in a language I can't read.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #219 on: June 27, 2019, 09:43:13 am »
Yeah for sure. The fella I am thinking will definitely cause controversy. Because I can't track his parents birth place. But I know one of them is Yugoslav by ethnicity. All I was able to find was historical migration pattern that suggest that its likely his parents would have first or second generation immigrants from Yugoslavia.

I found an article about his ancestry but its in a language I can't read.

I remember something similar to this happened in a criteria draft where some fuckers managed to find out that Zidane had been relegated and it completely skewed the draft.

It's probably too late now, but the rule probably should have been something like - does it say on their wiki that their parents were born elsewhere? If it doesn't then they don't count.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: June 27, 2019, 09:50:48 am »
Managed to find out Maradona's great grandfather was Croatian, but haven't found that hidden gem yet.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: June 27, 2019, 10:25:08 am »

As long as one of the parents were born in any of the nations in the region, you can pick him. Doesnt have ti be just wikipedia either as a source

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: June 27, 2019, 10:37:01 am »
I will wait on the foreign pick anyways and do some more research. Ancestry.com here I come.

I think Sarge's time is up. I am gonna make my pick.

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: June 27, 2019, 12:21:55 pm »
Are we doing the hour time limits yet or still waiting a bit longer?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #224 on: June 27, 2019, 12:23:06 pm »

Should be back on 1 hour now everyone's had their first pick.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: June 27, 2019, 12:24:46 pm »

Hour limit now as we're in round 2

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #226 on: June 27, 2019, 12:37:21 pm »
Poetry in Slow Motion.

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: June 27, 2019, 12:41:47 pm »
Glad to get my strike force nailed down. Mandzukic and Bobek, both quality players with a knack for goal. Should compliment Modric well.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: June 27, 2019, 01:02:56 pm »
Bobek's record for Partizan is insane

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: June 27, 2019, 01:50:58 pm »
Bobek's record for Partizan is insane

Yeah it really is. And to top that he is Yugoslavia's all time top scorer, and Puskas raved about him!

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #230 on: June 27, 2019, 02:26:03 pm »
I know Hazell so well these days, I'm pretty sure I could draft for him without any noticeable difference.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: June 27, 2019, 02:27:05 pm »
I know Hazell so well these days, I'm pretty sure I could draft for him without any noticeable difference.

Tugay was never known as the Turkish Redondo was he?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #232 on: June 27, 2019, 02:30:45 pm »
Tugay was never known as the Turkish Redondo was he?

;D

He should be. He was class. Very underrated player.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #233 on: June 27, 2019, 02:31:38 pm »
Fucksticks, Tugay was my next pick.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: June 27, 2019, 02:35:59 pm »
;D

He should be. He was class. Very underrated player.

Nice :)

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: June 27, 2019, 02:36:57 pm »
Fucksticks, Tugay was my next pick.

That's what you get for picking a Manc.

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #236 on: June 27, 2019, 02:41:05 pm »
Great idea for a draft, I'll be following it closely. Not saying I'll be voting for the team with the most Greek players in it, but I'll be voting for the team with the most Greek players in it.

P.S. the best player in this draft hasn't been picked yet  :-X ;D ;D

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #237 on: June 27, 2019, 02:43:56 pm »
That's what you get for picking a Manc.

Your face is a Manc.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: June 27, 2019, 02:47:48 pm »

Oh wow!  This pick definitely will cause some drama. 
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #239 on: June 27, 2019, 02:47:58 pm »
Thanks lads not like I waited up for some if you last night.

:thumbup
Y.N.W.A.