Poll

Please select the teams you think would win in the following matches:

Betty Blue
7 (63.6%)
PoetryInMotion
4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: April 18, 2019, 08:39:33 am

Author Topic: The Decisions, Decisions Draft - Derby Day Edition - Final  (Read 1134 times)

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
The Decisions, Decisions Draft - Derby Day Edition - Final
« on: April 16, 2019, 08:39:33 am »
Welcome to RAWK's Derby Day draft. Each drafter was tasked with building a team in their own image by picking their choice of players to have played in some of football's most fiercely contested derby matches.

Please judge the following matches on which team you believe would be best equipped to win over a 90 minute game of football, rather than on individuals -

________________________________________________Final________________________________________________

Betty Blue                                                             V                                                PoetryInMotion

"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Re: The Decisions, Decisions Draft - Derby Day Edition - Final
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 11:26:13 am »
Two really strong teams, Poetry has a mean looking defence and I'm not convinced by Sammer as a traditional centre back in a four, but Betty has so much talent, mobility and power going forward.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 02:56:40 pm »
Going with Betty, the two fullbacks the balance in midfield and two exceptional forwards

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 09:06:09 pm »
Had to go with Betty. Such a brilliant team. 2 great teams really but Betty's just seems one better.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 12:38:21 pm »
Bump.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 03:07:09 pm »
Gullit as an Attacking mid? Not sure about that one Betts.  :o

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 03:41:17 pm »
Close one for me but went with Betty in the end, would be a great game to watch.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 06:15:27 pm »
Not looking too good I see, but it seems surprising. Not because of the players in question as there are absolutely great players in both sides, but because of the tactical advantages my side has, & the individual match-ups on the pitch.

I could see the attacking combination of Gullit, Suarez and Romario is incredibly strong - but Gullit wasn't a playmaker as such and it seems my defense is getting under-estimated here. Passarella and Kohler have a complete range of defending in their oeuvre - ground or in the air and have stopped some of the greatest attackers of their time. Also, what is the difference between both full-back set-ups for width? Facchetti was as adept as Carlos in attack, while he was better in defense. Alves is better in going forward, but Andrade is known to be defensively a rock. He won the Bronze Ball in the first ever Fifa World Cup that Uruguay (his team) won.

Even if both defenses are considered of similar quality, there's Yashin in goal for me which the opposition has to get through. Yashin was not an old school goalie at all, he was the archetypal control the box kind of goalie who snapped up everything in his area, if you'd watched his videos/games. He was quick off the line and had insane reflexes. He's what Neuer and Alisson aspire to be, not to mention his 150+ penalty saves in his career. Chilavert, while he was good in his own right, wasn't close to that level.

Also, my attack is not inferior to the opposition's. It's got an interchanging set-up with Di Stefano (one of the greatest footballers ever - not just one of the greatest forwards), Bergkamp (one of the greatest players of PL era) and Zico (again one of the best of his position ever) moving and exchanging passes, while all three were adept at scoring goals. The opposition has Sammer in a flat back 4 which could be exploited. Also, in the unlikely event, my side behind by 60 minutes, I could withdraw Bergkamp & bring a goal scoring central forward in Greaves.

Coming to the midfield, Didi and Matthaus cancel each other, while Coluna with all his ball playing abilities was a tough player to deal with as he pressed & harassed, while Socrates was a pure playmaker not with a defensive nous but playing in a deeper position, weakness of which will be exploited. Also, the opposition's DM is weaker, Souness was undoubtedly better than Dunga, my side's clearly winning the midfield battle.

It's a great game with two great sides, but I think Trend's thoughts earlier in the draft has finally caught up to me as I've got a lot of players of older times, against whom modern players like Romario and Suarez seem more attractive as we'all may have seen them live & admired.

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 02:24:45 pm »
Sorry for my absence in here, lads. Got a bit wrapped up in the R&R on my hols + the Champion League last week, and didn't manage to get on.

Must admit I decided to abstain from voting in the final as I absolutely loved PIM's team. I voted for it in every round and somehow it would have felt disingenuous to vote against it. Quite surprised I won this one to be honest. Love my team, but I felt his defence had the ability to completely stop my attack. Although I preferred my midfield, so maybe that's what edged it. That and perhaps the lack of love for the older names catching up to PIM's team. I was actually really disappointed when you ousted Greavesy (I'm sure Prof cried out in pain!), even though I was the one who suggested it!

Anyway, thanks for the great draft and all the work running it Mikey  :wave
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.