Author Topic: Struggling with depression  (Read 617279 times)

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
Re: Struggling with depression
« Reply #7200 on: August 10, 2020, 11:22:57 pm »
Hi ToneLa.

I'm only on my phone and no way can my post do yours any justice, so I won't even try to go into any depth with this tonight.

I just wanted to offer a little bit of support, though.

Now I know it's so easy to say and a lot harder to actually take on board, but I'd try not to take what these people have said so personally. Not because it's not hurtful, because clearly it is, but rather because it says more about where they are than were you are.

I've seen it a million times where family and/or friends can get a bit weird when someone in their circle/family seems to moving forward, making positive changes and building a life for themselves. Much of the time I'm not even sure they realise they are doing it, but I've seen it many times. Sometimes it might be subtle undermining. Other times outright criticism.

People tend to like things and those around them to stay the same, because that feels safe. Change can then see them feel threatened or even jealous. Often, people feel like they and their lives are stagnating, and they feel a lot more secure if others in their circle are stagnating alongside them. Sometimes, when you break out, those people want to suck you back in, be that by conscious actions or unconscious.

Regarding the depression, from what you have said it sounds like situational depression. By this I mean it's in direct relation to traumatic life events, loss, difficult situations etc. Basically, it's quite normal to feel that way given the circumstances.

Your neighbour was well out of order with those comments, and totally clueless about mental health issues. Personally, I'd brush those comments aside as the rantings of someone with no clue whatsoever. Their ignorance can be hurtful, but the ignorance is theirs, not yours.

Bottom line, seeing as my phone battery is about to die, is you only have one life. You have to do with it what you feel right for you. You come over as a considerate person and not a selfish one. Of course, do right by those you love and care about, but follow your own values, your own moral code and make decisions based on all that. You won't go far wrong then. If you feel certain others might be looking to pull you back, remember the issue is theirs and not yours.

Take care mate. I wish you all the very best.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #7201 on: August 11, 2020, 12:21:41 am »
Aww Tone sending positive vibes to you mate, probably not a lot of help like, but hang on in
There. As SoS says the neighbour isn’t even worth considering, so don’t even think about him.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #7202 on: August 11, 2020, 11:28:03 am »
Aw you lot, thanks  :)

Feel a lot better today just getting it off my chest. And stuff like, situational depression? That's exactly it. I even consider myself lucky it's down to, let's face it, real external problems that to some level I can escape. I'm at peace with myself, even if I'm not at peace with what's around me (who is right now though?)

Anywho. The upside for me is have the luxury of time. My neighbour is dead to me, and the more I think about it, I have moved on from things as much as you can. Let's face it, anyone who tells you depression is a case of pulling your socks up ain't your friend. They're not even, to be blunt, aware of the basic reality of the illness.

Thanks for the love. I'm going to carry on with my job as I'm working from home for the foreseeable, and there's even a few other things I can throw myself into, like an album I'm mixing for someone. Plus we won the league.

:)

T
X

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7203 on: August 11, 2020, 01:28:27 pm »
I'm glad you're feeling better today, Tone.
Often, just offloading can be a bit like the valve on a pressure cooker releasing. It can help a lot.

Regarding situational depression. Well the vast majority of us will experience it at some time. Life events, or more often a series of them at the same time or in quick succession, can drain us, leave us vulnerable and prone to a bout of depression. Actually, that's quite normal. We are not unfeeling robots, well, most of us aren't. When we are cut, we bleed. When we are damaged emotionally, we hurt. When in pain we might withdraw in order to heal.

The thing with this kind of depression is that we already know where it's coming from. We know the reasons behind it. We also know what it is we need to address in order to move forward again. In many cases we know it's a pretty normal reaction to traumatic life events.

I have bouts of situational depression, but I take them as part of life now. The downs that accompany life's ups, from time to time. Before I eventually went on medication I also used to have depression that had no apparent reason for being. Just a horrible, grinding low that would just be there when I woke up one morning, then stay for as long as it felt like. That was much tougher to deal with, because how do you address something you can't even identify? Thankfully, meds have took me off that particular rollercoaster now, but the situational stuff still makes an appearance from time to time depending of life events.

Your clueless neighbour is lucky not to have been through depression himself. Trouble is, people who don't understand how it feels have no reference point, so can dismiss it quite easily when others talk about their own experience of it. One of my best friends has never experienced it in her life, so has no understanding of it at all. She's asked me to explain it to her, and she struggles to get her head around the things I tell her, simply because it's so alien to her. In short, it's difficult to empathise when you have no understanding, but some people are more willing to listen and understand than others.

Thing is, in a lot of instances we can choose who we let into our lives. We can avoid the negative influences if we want to, and cut others out altogether. I took the initiative on that some years ago, and now I have a very small circle of really good, positive people in my life. The negative-heads can get on with their thing elsewhere.

Think of life and each day as an empty space that you can choose to fill with whatever and whoever you want. Fill it wisely. Remove bad apples where and when you can. Honestly, in time, life quality improves accordingly.

All the best with everything, Tone.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 01:32:38 pm by Son of Spion* »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7204 on: August 11, 2020, 06:49:43 pm »
What a great post. Cheers mate. May other people with depression read and learn, and most importantly, realise it is a disease and isn't the real you - you are better than the black dog  :)

Life itself is often depressing. As you allude to - nothing wrong with that. Nothing at all. It's called being human.

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #7205 on: August 13, 2020, 11:42:37 am »
This long feature by Jonathan Wilson on grief, memory loss, and a precious aside into the time Lance Gibbs surprisingly turned out as a professional in club cricket in a village in the North East proved very cathartic for me. Wilson understandably poured his heart into this piece as a tribute to his parents, especially his mam. It just might be the best thing he has ever written.

https://www.thenightwatchman.net/news/jonathan-wilson-on-his-parents-loss-memory-and-lance-gibbs

Can really associate with the following lines:

But it wasn’t just Ben Stokes, was it? It wasn’t just that, as a shit northern man, you can express emotion only via sport. (Last time you hugged your dad? 30 March 1996 when Michael Bridges came off the bench to score two late goals in Sunderland’s 3-2 victory over Huddersfield. Yes, it is pathetic. Fuck off.)

It wasn’t even simply that the particular tension and fulfilment of Stokes’s innings operated as a release for the emotional pressure that had been building for more than a year, although clearly that was a large part of it.

There was something more specific and less tangible about cricket and home and your mam.
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7206 on: August 13, 2020, 11:58:57 pm »
What a great post. Cheers mate. May other people with depression read and learn, and most importantly, realise it is a disease and isn't the real you - you are better than the black dog  :)

Life itself is often depressing. As you allude to - nothing wrong with that. Nothing at all. It's called being human.

Chin up mate. For what its worth, your "general" posts always strikes me as positive and good humoured. take care
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7207 on: August 14, 2020, 12:46:34 am »
Damn.  I am so fucking lonely right now.

I hate being an ambivert.  I end up craving company, but it has to be the RIGHT kind of company, otherwise I'd rather be on my own, even though I am not terribly fond of being on my own.

Loner bored of his own company.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7208 on: August 15, 2020, 04:52:39 pm »

I hate being an ambivert.  I end up craving company, but it has to be the RIGHT kind of company, otherwise I'd rather be on my own, even though I am not terribly fond of being on my own.

I know I get depressed but the need for others (when it suits.. Some are not worth it) makes me think, hmm, you're like me, let's kill two birds with one stone. I quote this as a compliment:

Chin up mate. For what its worth, your "general" posts always strikes me as positive and good humoured. take care

You know what? I've been here ages but I dip in and out, such is the horrible nature of being sad.

But I feel EXACTLY that way to your posts. Not going to overegg it, but I remember you, I know your posts. I know the feel, I feel the feel. I have a good gauge on it.

Johnny, take this as a personal thanks to you, as your words hit me just as hard as the very, very useful ones that touched very deeply on my own depression.

Red Bezzie, you're one of these posters I remember. Someone who I see weigh in and makes me think, Yeah, this is why I'm on a bloody forum in the first place.

But so much, probably everything, in my life is down to me and what I do with it. My new job is hurtfully remote. I can and like to be without others though. My most personally important things are basically mine and the energy derived from personal effort. It's.. Hard to square with the reality which can exist isolated for so long it scares some

I sort of, I've come back to this thread as I resent the idea of abandoning it after letting it in. Yknow? Not saying I don't have a right to vanish, get on with life, though also a part of my heart will never, ever cave to those in more need than I, or less need - it's not a fucking contest

I am extrovert in the Jungian sense. Working from home is awful. I bounce off nobody, I feel nothing for Teams chats.

You? All I can say is, I feel it too, and it's not the whole story when it comes to you. I'm sorry you feel this way. I really am.

But yet again you're sort of the key here - I'll never, and my inbox is always open for this, never turn away someone in need.

But fuck me, you've given me a boost just by admitting being lonely. It's shit, undeserved. Sometimes there's nothing worse.

But we are all feeling it to some extent. That does nothing to belittle your issue. It's serious and I can only pray you see where I am coming from. I know what you mean. Our success diminished. Our variety cut down. Our sadness as heightened.

Red Berry, the only time I'd squeeze you is for a hug. I know the internet is shit, remote bollocks sometimes...but aye, when you shrug it off, you're one of many, many people I notice & consequently give one about

... This really is a boss place to be. Its not always strictly real, but craving the right company always seems to lead me here. I sincerely hope you find the same,as you're someone I notice and root for. A presence and intrinsic part of feeling you belong.

T
X
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 04:58:30 pm by ToneLa »

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7209 on: August 15, 2020, 06:54:34 pm »

Being ambivert can be very frustrating. When I was young, people told me I was an introvert, because I acted like one. Problem was, I actually need real human connection. I need to be emotionally close and in-depth with someone but, of course, it has to be the right person/people, and they can be hard to find.

As I grew up, I did my own research and finally accessed the right people in order to help me, it turned out I was not an introvert at all. I actually had Social Anxiety Disorder and would be more of an ambivert if I could get past the anxiety. The thing that I craved the most, actually also induced crippling anxiety within me, so that skewed everything.

I'm fine with my own company and I can always find productive things to do, but my alone times have to be my choice rather than imposed on me. I actually hate social isolation if it is imposed upon me, but love solitude when I choose it. When I was younger though, I had little choice other than to withdraw because the anxiety of interaction was at horrific and debilitating levels. That remained the same long into adulthood, although I'm better now than I used to be.

I'm sorry to hear that you feel so lonely just now. Feeling lonely on a planet with 7 billion people is tough. When I've felt lonely I often felt detached from society altogether. Sort of like a ghost walking through but seen by no one. Stuck in a see-through bubble but unable to connect with anyone, and too full of anxiety to even try anyway.

All I know is that, for me, it took a lot of time and a lot of work on myself before I managed to interact enough in order to come across some genuinely lovely people. Through jobs I've had or courses I've been on. I've been lucky enough to stumble across a few diamonds. We aren't in each other's pockets and don't see each other that often, but the connection is great, and we know we have each others backs when necessary. I also found my partner on a therapy training course. Now, I'm lucky enough to be able to have my solitude when I want it, but the right company when I want that too. Being honest, I never thought I could ever have that in my life, but now I have. You can too. There are always others out there like us, and the only real issue is actually finding each other. Plenty out there could still look at my life and think it's a shambles, and that's fine. I get by, and that's what counts.

I'm like you in that I'd rather have one fantastic friend than 100 fair weather, shallow types. Mind you, I can only cope with a very small circle anyway, otherwise I feel overloaded. Anyhow, you always come over as a pretty smart and intelligent person with much to offer. I certainly hope you manage to achieve the balance you are looking for with regard to your social interaction. You may be looking for the right kind of people to have in your life, but rest assured, they are also looking for you too.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 06:57:17 pm by Son of Spion* »

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7210 on: August 16, 2020, 11:05:37 pm »
Thank you SoS and ToneLa.  I don't have the words really, but I really do appreciate the kindness of you both.

Saw my best mate yesterday for my birthday.  She's a hyper introvert, who is very good at pretending she's an extrovert.  It's a big effort for her to spend time with me and I know there is the odd moment in the crowds where she shows her own social anxiety.  She loved lockdown, but is now adjusting to working with people again.  I too can become overwhelmed in a bustle, but I'm usually more robust, perhaps because when I'm feeling more extrovert I'm not having to fake it.

People have to show patience with me for me to come out of my shell.  The guy I've taken on as my PT I've known for over a year, it's taken me this long to become comfortable enough with him to do this.  I'm well outside my comfort zone, and already had a couple of anxiety attacks.  I'm mildly concerned about my heart palpitations this weekend, which I'm putting down to a bad combination of intense exercise, heat and birthday indulgence ;D but I'm hoping it is just a passing thing and I'll be right back into it next week.

Sometimes I try to push myself too far, as I swing from one extreme to the other, so striking that balance is all important for me.  But working with my PT is giving me some much needed male to male contact, as my friends are almost exclusively women, and I really need more guy friends.  But as with most things in my life, it has to be measured, but not over controlled, otherwise I'll bounce between recklessness or OCD levels of inflexibility.  :lickin

Popcorn's Art

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7211 on: August 17, 2020, 12:18:33 am »
Thank you SoS and ToneLa.  I don't have the words really, but I really do appreciate the kindness of you both.

Saw my best mate yesterday for my birthday.  She's a hyper introvert, who is very good at pretending she's an extrovert.  It's a big effort for her to spend time with me and I know there is the odd moment in the crowds where she shows her own social anxiety.  She loved lockdown, but is now adjusting to working with people again.  I too can become overwhelmed in a bustle, but I'm usually more robust, perhaps because when I'm feeling more extrovert I'm not having to fake it.

People have to show patience with me for me to come out of my shell.  The guy I've taken on as my PT I've known for over a year, it's taken me this long to become comfortable enough with him to do this.  I'm well outside my comfort zone, and already had a couple of anxiety attacks.  I'm mildly concerned about my heart palpitations this weekend, which I'm putting down to a bad combination of intense exercise, heat and birthday indulgence ;D but I'm hoping it is just a passing thing and I'll be right back into it next week.

Sometimes I try to push myself too far, as I swing from one extreme to the other, so striking that balance is all important for me.  But working with my PT is giving me some much needed male to male contact, as my friends are almost exclusively women, and I really need more guy friends.  But as with most things in my life, it has to be measured, but not over controlled, otherwise I'll bounce between recklessness or OCD levels of inflexibility.  :lickin

Kind of a tricky topic that.. I really don't have female friends, but have quite a few male friends that I would call good friends. Issue being that I don't invite them to my place; and after spending some time together at the pub or other stuff - I really prefer to be on my own. I feel pretty weird and you can't really tell people that I'd prefer my own company..
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7212 on: August 17, 2020, 09:55:55 pm »
Kind of a tricky topic that.. I really don't have female friends, but have quite a few male friends that I would call good friends. Issue being that I don't invite them to my place; and after spending some time together at the pub or other stuff - I really prefer to be on my own. I feel pretty weird and you can't really tell people that I'd prefer my own company..

Well my best friend is very protective of her personal space.  I think she would like more visitors but she honestly doesn't feel comfortable having them.  She's been in her flat for about 3 years and I've only ever been there twice. ;D

I like having visitors as it's an incentive for me to clean, well clean more often than i do anyway!  But I do love being able to throw people out the door at the end of the day, as my personal space is also very important to me.  It's my ambivert nature that I crave company, but only the right sort of company, and I need to feel comfortable in my skin and my space.

Popcorn's Art

Offline princeoftherocks

• Legacy Fan
  • black sheep scouse
« Reply #7213 on: August 17, 2020, 11:30:44 pm »
THIS is a photograph of planet Earth taken on February 14, 1990, by the Voyager 1 space probe from a record distance of about 6 billion kilometers (3.7 billion miles).
dios esta buena

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #7214 on: August 31, 2020, 09:04:30 pm »
I've certainly noticed a rise in people who are feeling depressed and down over the last few months, clearly all linked to what's been going on.
It got the point where even I could feel myself getting depressed, or rather stressed.

For years I've suffered with health anxiety, I've tried CBT but because it was a large group talking openly I just put my barriers up and said nothing.
Over the last few weeks, since the end of June really, my stomach has been playing up, bad cramps, bloating and all that. Needless to say the doctors sent me for a blood test and to take a stool sample.
The doctors weren't happy with the first sample so sent me for a second which after a few weeks came back as normal, but the pains were still there.

Anyway, long story short I convinced myself, because of my health anxiety, that it was bowel cancer. It sounds ridiculous typing it out now, but when it gets in your head its horrible. You spend hours on the internet looking at symptoms, it really is a bad situation.
Last week I finished work and took myself into A&E and asked for help. After hours of blood tests, thousands of questions and poking and prodding at my stomach I was told there was nothing significant wrong with me. They tested for everything and all looked fine.
It was then, that a beautiful young lady doctor called Emily sat on the edge of the bed and spoke candidly with me for well in excess of an hour.

Apparently the cause of my stomach problems is a combination of stress and anxiety, coupled with a poor lifestyle and diet. In the last 15 months I've lost my mum (and best friend) suddenly, had to organise her funeral, buy the house off the council, grieve for her, then one of my closest mates took his own life over Christmas. Added to that I'm a manager for 14 people in work, alongside Covid and organising working from home, one of them had a miscarriage, another found out her husband of 28 years was having an affair, so I've listened and supported them too.

The doctor said what's happened to me in 15 months should really happen over a space of years. Add to all of this my diet has been garbage during lockdown. Continual takeaways, no exercise, drinking loads, coffee etc. Plus living on my own I have nobody to reassure me (or say give yer head a wobble).
What is funny and slightly ironic is, I am a massive Only Fools & Horses fan and there is a scene in the episode Sickness and Wealth when Del Boy ends up in the hospital with a very similar thing.

So starting from now its cutting right back on the takeaways, more exercising and laying off the beers for a while. I'm starting that Intermittent Fasting which the doctor recommended (she said she'd lost four stone since January due to it) and most importantly of all I've put my name down for one-to-one counselling.

"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7215 on: August 31, 2020, 09:41:44 pm »
I've certainly noticed a rise in people who are feeling depressed and down over the last few months, clearly all linked to what's been going on.
It got the point where even I could feel myself getting depressed, or rather stressed.

For years I've suffered with health anxiety, I've tried CBT but because it was a large group talking openly I just put my barriers up and said nothing.
Over the last few weeks, since the end of June really, my stomach has been playing up, bad cramps, bloating and all that. Needless to say the doctors sent me for a blood test and to take a stool sample.
The doctors weren't happy with the first sample so sent me for a second which after a few weeks came back as normal, but the pains were still there.

Anyway, long story short I convinced myself, because of my health anxiety, that it was bowel cancer. It sounds ridiculous typing it out now, but when it gets in your head its horrible. You spend hours on the internet looking at symptoms, it really is a bad situation.
Last week I finished work and took myself into A&E and asked for help. After hours of blood tests, thousands of questions and poking and prodding at my stomach I was told there was nothing significant wrong with me. They tested for everything and all looked fine.
It was then, that a beautiful young lady doctor called Emily sat on the edge of the bed and spoke candidly with me for well in excess of an hour.

Apparently the cause of my stomach problems is a combination of stress and anxiety, coupled with a poor lifestyle and diet. In the last 15 months I've lost my mum (and best friend) suddenly, had to organise her funeral, buy the house off the council, grieve for her, then one of my closest mates took his own life over Christmas. Added to that I'm a manager for 14 people in work, alongside Covid and organising working from home, one of them had a miscarriage, another found out her husband of 28 years was having an affair, so I've listened and supported them too.

The doctor said what's happened to me in 15 months should really happen over a space of years. Add to all of this my diet has been garbage during lockdown. Continual takeaways, no exercise, drinking loads, coffee etc. Plus living on my own I have nobody to reassure me (or say give yer head a wobble).
What is funny and slightly ironic is, I am a massive Only Fools & Horses fan and there is a scene in the episode Sickness and Wealth when Del Boy ends up in the hospital with a very similar thing.

So starting from now its cutting right back on the takeaways, more exercising and laying off the beers for a while. I'm starting that Intermittent Fasting which the doctor recommended (she said she'd lost four stone since January due to it) and most importantly of all I've put my name down for one-to-one counselling.
You know what mate... sometimes we just need to look after ourselves.

It sounds easy but its one of the hardest things to do for a variety of reasons so good for you that you've taken that step to seek help and decide how to help yourself.

Never feel guilty about putting you first.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7216 on: August 31, 2020, 09:46:17 pm »
You know what mate... sometimes we just need to look after ourselves.

It sounds easy but its one of the hardest things to do for a variety of reasons so good for you that you've taken that step to seek help and decide how to help yourself.

Never feel guilty about putting you first.

Cheers pal :)
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Online Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7217 on: August 31, 2020, 10:07:38 pm »

Hope things pick up for you soon my friend.
If it's any help at all, I'm in a similar kind of situation, especially regarding stomach problems. I've been very down for a number of years and quite often get terrible pains. To the point where i have been driven to my knees, punching the floor in agony.
A number of people have also told me its linked very highly with anxiety, stress etc. I lost my dad with bowel cancer at the age I am now, 52 and like you was convinced, almost hoping sometimes, that I had it.
I've had tests done and a colonoscopy  and they pretty much said i was as right as rain. So please try and take some consolation from what the docs and that nice lady have told you.

It's a long road and I am still not even half way down the road to feeling better but you will get there.
The counselling is a very good step. Its helped me hugely, I love the wonderful lady who was helping me.
You've done the right thing there., I guarantee it.

I used to worry endlessly about  being alone, now it's the norm.
I still drink a fair bit and always have done. It's the only thing I have in life, but I know it's also a part of my stomach problems. I do eat fairly well and exercise a bit to counter it. You've recognised what's wrong and are taking positive steps.

All the best.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7218 on: August 31, 2020, 11:14:02 pm »

Hi mate. I can't say I'm in the least bit surprised by your post. I've sort of followed your posts around your issues since you lost your mum.

With most people, it's not single life events that see them go into a downward spiral. Well, not unless it's a really traumatic thing like bereavement, job loss or the ending of a relationship or marriage. What tends to be the culprit is when a number of things go wrong in a short space of time, leaving the person feeling overwhelmed. To be fair, you've gone through an awful lot of stuff in a short time and are still processing it all. Now that takes its toll. Add the pandemic and how life has been turned upside down this year, and we have something resembling the perfect storm.

We all deal with things in our own ways, of course, and many turn to food and/or drink. I won't bother going on about other drugs since you've not mentioned them at all. But anyway, what I'm getting at is that when many people feel stressed and anxious, they can turn to things they find comfort in. Often, these things feel good in the moment, but make you feel worse in the longer term. It's not long before you overeat and/or drink to excess. You end up looking worse and feeling worse, so you then overeat and/or drink to excess in order to block it out and feel momentarily better again. A destructive cycle becomes routine.

I've done this cycle countless times myself. I've been overwhelmed so I've ate like a horse because I get comfort from it. I went running for years, but stopped dead after losing my dad and my partner's dad within the space of two weeks in late 2017. Since then I went on the downward spiral and also ended up having hospital tests for stomach issues too. Stress and anxiety always gave me stomach trouble. It gave me an ulcer back in the 90s too. Since 2017 I've also had a colonoscopy to try to get to the root of it, but all tests were clear and the issue was, again, put down to psychological reasons. I had cramps, aches, pains, bloating etc. Back in my 20s I'd also get horrendous acid reflux that was so painful it actually floored me once or twice. IBS for years too, and all down to anxiety and stress. Even in junior school I was under the hospital for issues later traced back to psychological issues rather than physical.

I've done the cycle so many times now that I have seen many times how these psychosomatic symptoms disappear when I'm on an even mental keel once more and life is less stressful. It also coincides with when I've decided to bin most of the sugar, caffeine, fat and excess carbs in favour of a more balanced and healthy approach to eating and exercise. That doctor sounds right on the money. You've gone through the mixer and are still in there to an extent. On top of that, this year has been unlike most of us will have ever known in our entire lives. It sounds like you've been a support to others, but who is there for you? We all need an outlet for our feelings.

With that in mind I'm glad you have put your name down for counselling. I'm not surprised that you clammed up in group CBT though. A lot of people do not like that scenario and feel vulnerable, so just shut down. One-to-one should give you the time and space to talk things through. Sometimes, all a person needs is to have someone listen to them and hear them. Just verbalising the stuff in our heads and getting it out there can be very therapeutic. When it's all running around our heads it can be difficult to unravel it and look at it, but talking it through can help with that.

Regarding health anxiety, I find the more you focus on it, the worse it gets and the worse you can feel. Psychological issues can certainly trigger physical symptoms. When I look back on my life, most of my physical issues have actually been psychosomatic. The mind is a powerful thing. One rather light-hearted example for me is that I always dread getting ill just before I go on holiday. I get anxiety over illness ruining my time away. Now I guarantee that without fail I get a sore throat and/or a cough the week before. I then start panicking and downing the paracetamol. My mind goes into overdrive looking for more 'symptoms' to back up my concerns. On the plane I've usually got the sore throat I dreaded and I'm stuffing throat sweets down me every ten minutes. Thing is, once we check-in, get settled and have a sleep, those 'symptoms' disappear. Basically, the mind often provides you with what you do not want simply because you focus on it so much. Anxiety about being ill when you are actually well can, in a roundabout way, make you ill.

What I see when I read you post is actually a rather normal picture. Your reaction to a concentrated period of life-changing and deeply traumatic events. In terms of the bereavement process, it's still quite early days for you. OK, we all cope differently, and in our own time. There is no set time period for grief, but your loss is still relatively recent. Add all the other things into the mix and I'd say that although you are clearly having some difficulties, you have coped remarkably well and continue to do so. So long as you do not set out to block the process, you'll come through it in your own time. When I say ''block'' I mean that some people refuse to go through the grieving process because of the obvious pain involved. They may use drink, food, drugs or whatever to block it all out and not face it. This can leave a person stuck in their grief for many years. The only way through the process is to be willing to experience it, as tough and as heartbreaking as that undoubtedly is. People willing to experience the process come through it a lot quicker and in a more healthy way than those who are determined to push it away.

All the best with turning the eating, drinking and exercise issues around. I think getting started is the toughest time, but once in the routine it gets so much easier and so much more enjoyable. I drink decaf now as caffeine is terrible for anxiety sufferers. It's a small step, but positive change is simply a series of small steps. When I pull myself out of my downward spirals I bin off excess, but I don't punish myself. I still have a drink with my partner at the weekend if we feel like it. I'll still have some chocolate or whatever, but just not to excess. I've never bought into diets. They are just a massive money-making industry. Basically, expend more calories in a day than we take in, and we lose weight. If a man generally burns 2,500 cals per day, I know I can eat what I want so long as I keep the cals around 2,000 per day and the weight will still fall off me. Clearly, the better choices we make with our food and drink intake, the more we can actually eat. Fruit, veg etc doesn't have that many calories, does it. When I set out to lose weight, I actually eat quite a lot, but it's ok because it's good quality stuff that's not dripping in calories.

Anyway, I wish you all the very best and every success with the changes you make. Take care of yourself, and I hope the counselling helps once it gets up and running.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 11:25:22 pm by Son of Spion* »

Offline AlphaDelta

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7219 on: September 1, 2020, 08:00:25 am »
Hope things pick up for you soon my friend.
If it's any help at all, I'm in a similar kind of situation, especially regarding stomach problems. I've been very down for a number of years and quite often get terrible pains. To the point where i have been driven to my knees, punching the floor in agony.
A number of people have also told me its linked very highly with anxiety, stress etc. I lost my dad with bowel cancer at the age I am now, 52 and like you was convinced, almost hoping sometimes, that I had it.
I've had tests done and a colonoscopy  and they pretty much said i was as right as rain. So please try and take some consolation from what the docs and that nice lady have told you.

It's a long road and I am still not even half way down the road to feeling better but you will get there.
The counselling is a very good step. Its helped me hugely, I love the wonderful lady who was helping me.
You've done the right thing there., I guarantee it.

I used to worry endlessly about  being alone, now it's the norm.
I still drink a fair bit and always have done. It's the only thing I have in life, but I know it's also a part of my stomach problems. I do eat fairly well and exercise a bit to counter it. You've recognised what's wrong and are taking positive steps.

All the best.

Thanks so much pal, really appreciate it. Reading the replies to my post and listening to others, its massively clear there is a clear link between stomach issues and stress/anxiety. In a weird sort of way I'm looking forward to the one-to-one counselling because I am going into with an open mind.

Cheers once again.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7220 on: September 1, 2020, 08:06:32 am »
Hi mate. I can't say I'm in the least bit surprised by your post. I've sort of followed your posts around your issues since you lost your mum.

With most people, it's not single life events that see them go into a downward spiral. Well, not unless it's a really traumatic thing like bereavement, job loss or the ending of a relationship or marriage. What tends to be the culprit is when a number of things go wrong in a short space of time, leaving the person feeling overwhelmed. To be fair, you've gone through an awful lot of stuff in a short time and are still processing it all. Now that takes its toll. Add the pandemic and how life has been turned upside down this year, and we have something resembling the perfect storm.

We all deal with things in our own ways, of course, and many turn to food and/or drink. I won't bother going on about other drugs since you've not mentioned them at all. But anyway, what I'm getting at is that when many people feel stressed and anxious, they can turn to things they find comfort in. Often, these things feel good in the moment, but make you feel worse in the longer term. It's not long before you overeat and/or drink to excess. You end up looking worse and feeling worse, so you then overeat and/or drink to excess in order to block it out and feel momentarily better again. A destructive cycle becomes routine.

I've done this cycle countless times myself. I've been overwhelmed so I've ate like a horse because I get comfort from it. I went running for years, but stopped dead after losing my dad and my partner's dad within the space of two weeks in late 2017. Since then I went on the downward spiral and also ended up having hospital tests for stomach issues too. Stress and anxiety always gave me stomach trouble. It gave me an ulcer back in the 90s too. Since 2017 I've also had a colonoscopy to try to get to the root of it, but all tests were clear and the issue was, again, put down to psychological reasons. I had cramps, aches, pains, bloating etc. Back in my 20s I'd also get horrendous acid reflux that was so painful it actually floored me once or twice. IBS for years too, and all down to anxiety and stress. Even in junior school I was under the hospital for issues later traced back to psychological issues rather than physical.

I've done the cycle so many times now that I have seen many times how these psychosomatic symptoms disappear when I'm on an even mental keel once more and life is less stressful. It also coincides with when I've decided to bin most of the sugar, caffeine, fat and excess carbs in favour of a more balanced and healthy approach to eating and exercise. That doctor sounds right on the money. You've gone through the mixer and are still in there to an extent. On top of that, this year has been unlike most of us will have ever known in our entire lives. It sounds like you've been a support to others, but who is there for you? We all need an outlet for our feelings.

With that in mind I'm glad you have put your name down for counselling. I'm not surprised that you clammed up in group CBT though. A lot of people do not like that scenario and feel vulnerable, so just shut down. One-to-one should give you the time and space to talk things through. Sometimes, all a person needs is to have someone listen to them and hear them. Just verbalising the stuff in our heads and getting it out there can be very therapeutic. When it's all running around our heads it can be difficult to unravel it and look at it, but talking it through can help with that.

Regarding health anxiety, I find the more you focus on it, the worse it gets and the worse you can feel. Psychological issues can certainly trigger physical symptoms. When I look back on my life, most of my physical issues have actually been psychosomatic. The mind is a powerful thing. One rather light-hearted example for me is that I always dread getting ill just before I go on holiday. I get anxiety over illness ruining my time away. Now I guarantee that without fail I get a sore throat and/or a cough the week before. I then start panicking and downing the paracetamol. My mind goes into overdrive looking for more 'symptoms' to back up my concerns. On the plane I've usually got the sore throat I dreaded and I'm stuffing throat sweets down me every ten minutes. Thing is, once we check-in, get settled and have a sleep, those 'symptoms' disappear. Basically, the mind often provides you with what you do not want simply because you focus on it so much. Anxiety about being ill when you are actually well can, in a roundabout way, make you ill.

What I see when I read you post is actually a rather normal picture. Your reaction to a concentrated period of life-changing and deeply traumatic events. In terms of the bereavement process, it's still quite early days for you. OK, we all cope differently, and in our own time. There is no set time period for grief, but your loss is still relatively recent. Add all the other things into the mix and I'd say that although you are clearly having some difficulties, you have coped remarkably well and continue to do so. So long as you do not set out to block the process, you'll come through it in your own time. When I say ''block'' I mean that some people refuse to go through the grieving process because of the obvious pain involved. They may use drink, food, drugs or whatever to block it all out and not face it. This can leave a person stuck in their grief for many years. The only way through the process is to be willing to experience it, as tough and as heartbreaking as that undoubtedly is. People willing to experience the process come through it a lot quicker and in a more healthy way than those who are determined to push it away.

All the best with turning the eating, drinking and exercise issues around. I think getting started is the toughest time, but once in the routine it gets so much easier and so much more enjoyable. I drink decaf now as caffeine is terrible for anxiety sufferers. It's a small step, but positive change is simply a series of small steps. When I pull myself out of my downward spirals I bin off excess, but I don't punish myself. I still have a drink with my partner at the weekend if we feel like it. I'll still have some chocolate or whatever, but just not to excess. I've never bought into diets. They are just a massive money-making industry. Basically, expend more calories in a day than we take in, and we lose weight. If a man generally burns 2,500 cals per day, I know I can eat what I want so long as I keep the cals around 2,000 per day and the weight will still fall off me. Clearly, the better choices we make with our food and drink intake, the more we can actually eat. Fruit, veg etc doesn't have that many calories, does it. When I set out to lose weight, I actually eat quite a lot, but it's ok because it's good quality stuff that's not dripping in calories.

Anyway, I wish you all the very best and every success with the changes you make. Take care of yourself, and I hope the counselling helps once it gets up and running.

SoS, wow thanks pal, what an outstanding post. You've been there in the past with supporting, reasoned replies, thank you mate, you're a diamond.
One of the things that has struck me is how powerful the mind is, especially when it comes to psychosomatic symptoms. The perfect example of this was only the other week. I booked myself some annual leave and went off to East Anglia to see some mates, have a chill out in the countryside and just take in a change of scenery. From the moment I got on the train at Lime Street, all the way through the week away, not a single issue with my stomach, nothing at all. I ate as normal, had beers as normal, not an issue. Yet as soon as I got home on the Monday and turned my laptop on, there it was again, the cramps, the bloating.
As you say, its long road, but hopefully I am heading in the right direction.

Cheers once again pal

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #7221 on: September 1, 2020, 06:41:42 pm »
Some good posts. Important to share this kind of knowledge and these experiences, to help others
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7222 on: September 1, 2020, 09:11:48 pm »
I can't add much to what SoS has said (which is another belter of a post) but I have a small story about gut problems and anxiety.

At one time I was suffering from chronic constipation/ibs/migraines. It got that bad that the doctor sent me x-rays and for an MRI brain scan. In my life at the time I was locked into a stressful job and had no one I could confide in. I think I may have used this thread at the time and others talked some sense into me.

Anyway, it was a real eye opener, the power of stress/anxiety on the gut. These days my living situation is better but if I have rough patches I'll have IBS-C for long periods, it's as if the original event triggered something that can never be fully healed and I have to stay vigilant.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7223 on: September 1, 2020, 10:35:33 pm »
Regarding anxiety and stress affecting the gut, I've just come across a web page on the subject by the Canadian Society of Intestinal Research.

I've only skim-read a bit of it but will post as it might be useful to someone. There are links in there on a number of digestive conditions too.

https://badgut.org/information-centre/a-z-digestive-topics/stress-and-your-gut/

Take care, all.

Online End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7224 on: September 5, 2020, 12:52:47 am »
Bit down at the moment due to life circumstances,  but reading this thread witnessing the support and openness is life affirming stuff.
No time for caution.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #7225 on: September 5, 2020, 11:27:34 am »
Regarding anxiety and stress affecting the gut, I've just come across a web page on the subject by the Canadian Society of Intestinal Research.

I've only skim-read a bit of it but will post as it might be useful to someone. There are links in there on a number of digestive conditions too.

https://badgut.org/information-centre/a-z-digestive-topics/stress-and-your-gut/

Take care, all.

I'll give that a read having suffered migraine and IBS intermittently - weirdly very rarely during lockdown.

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7226 on: September 9, 2020, 08:15:49 pm »
Struggling really badly at the moment. Didn’t know this thread existed so going to have a read through, seems to have helped a lot of people.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #7227 on: September 9, 2020, 09:36:35 pm »
Struggling really badly at the moment. Didn’t know this thread existed so going to have a read through, seems to have helped a lot of people.
If you can talk about your struggles then that's half the battle already won. The most wretched, and troubled and perhaps those most in danger are those who can't talk about things.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7228 on: September 9, 2020, 11:05:55 pm »
If you can talk about your struggles then that's half the battle already won. The most wretched, and troubled and perhaps those most in danger are those who can't talk about things.

Wise words there.

Keeping things bottled up is rarely a good thing. Feelings needs outlets, otherwise we become something of a human pressure cooker. When that happens, at some point, something has to give. When it 'gives' it can do so in a variety of different ways. Talking things through can help release some of that pressure. Just offloading on a forum like this can be useful, as can talking things through with a trusted friend, family member or partner. Of course, there is also counselling and the Samaritans. I've talked with the Samaritans myself in the past. At least once, it kept me alive.

ljycb, I hope the threat helps in some way. Don't suffer in silence. Take care of yourself.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7229 on: September 9, 2020, 11:28:01 pm »
I'll give that a read having suffered migraine and IBS intermittently - weirdly very rarely during lockdown.
Do you have a theory as to why that might be?

Lockdown and the whole virus thing seems to have had quite contradictory effects on a lot of people. While the impact of the virus has turned lives upside down, there are many people who have actually felt less stressed and even more relaxed due to actually having time and space for themselves and their families. So in some ways the pressure of life has risen, but in many other ways it's sort of declined. Since March, a lot of people were forced to get off life's hamster wheel, and after doing so they realised just how manic and pressured their daily lives were.

I've no idea if any of that applies to you, so I'm just speaking in general terms there.

Thankfully, I've never suffered with migraine. My dad used to have horrific ones though. My anxiety disorder, depression and other emotional issues saw me experience all sorts of psychosomatic symptoms though. One was severe nose bleeds. I'd feel a build-up of pressure in my head, sort of like a headache, then my nose would just pour with blood and the pressure would feel released. They never did find any physical cause for this, and the better I've got at dealing with my mental health, the less they have affected me. I had a small bleed recently, but can't remember the last one I had before that.

Looking back now, my dad had his issues, and he never talked about them to anyone, ever. He kept everything bottled up, much to the detriment of his overall health.

Just browsing on the internet I saw this  https://www.migraineagain.com/migraine-and-anxiety-crazy-cycle/  which suggests there is a clear link between migraine, anxiety and depression. I can't say I'm that surprised really.

Anyway, I hope you are currently well.  :)

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7230 on: September 10, 2020, 01:26:33 am »

Thank you both. You’re definitely right about talking. I’m quite terrible at opening up and I think it’s had a fairly drastic impact on my life - in the sense that I completely bottled up all of my emotions and what spilled over ended up changing the course of my life. I had a job that I’d always wanted and was in university studying to start a specific career, but because I was completely incapable of opening up about the struggles I was having, I quit both things within a couple of months. It was 2016 so I’d have been 22. I slept for not even a handful of hours a day, stopped looking after myself, it was like an out-of-body experience. Thankfully I met my girlfriend (now fiancée) at the back-end of that year, so I look back on that time with fondness, knowing that I survived and my life is now all the better for getting through it.

Just typing as I think here because I want to get it all written down so please forgive me. Throughout my life, I’ve had an issue with controlling my emotions. Not in the sense that I can get really angry or really nasty, I’m not a confrontational person at all (to a detriment I’d say) so that doesn’t suit me. It’s more in the sense that when I get down, I get really down and it’s noticeable. I remember in school I’d go in some days and would be completely lifeless, no enthusiasm for anything, people would talk to me and I didn’t even have the energy to fathom an answer. Typing this out has made me make a little bit of a connection there.

Don’t know where it stems from exactly, think I need to properly talk through it all at some point soon, but we’re fast approaching a year since my mum passed away and that’s been a big part of my recent struggles. Can’t go into too much detail right now as I’m up fairly early in the morning but my mum was an alcoholic and she died far too young, it’s been really difficult trying to come to terms with that, the relationship I had with her as a result of that and just all of these loose ends that I could do with working through. I don’t think lockdown’s helping either, the rest of my family and my close friends I’ve had to become secluded from when I could have done with at least having the option of being able to spend that more quality time with them. It’s tough. Anyway, felt good rambling for a bit there. Nice one.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7231 on: September 10, 2020, 02:39:23 am »
Thank you both. You’re definitely right about talking...

No probs.  :)

You definitely weren't rambling there. Just verbalising your thoughts and feelings, be it in your own mind as you type, or by seeing the written words, can help. I think when things are locked inside they can feel so mixed up, tangled and complicated, but externalising it can help you see things a little clearer. I used to write daily journals, because seeing my thoughts and feelings in print helped me externalise them and, in turn, process them better. It's sort of like when it's all stuck inside us, we are too close to it to see it properly. Externalising it can help us stand back from it a bit, look at it, then see it a bit clearer.

When talking about your job, University and your struggles back then, it was interesting how you described that period of your life as being like an out-of-body experience. You may or may not know this, but there is something called 'Depersonalisation' where you feel as though you are outside yourself and observing your own actions. Anxiety, depression and severe stress can trigger this, and lack of sleep and a highly stimulating environment can make it worse. Anyway, it's good that you came through your troubles back then and also met your partner.  :)

I'm sorry to hear that you have lost your mum. I think losing a parent is one of the toughest things we have to go through in life. Clearly, your mum had her issues, and those kinds of issues pretty much always impact on those around the sufferer. I imagine there is a lot of unanswered questions in there, and a lot of things for you to process. Struggling is painful and very unpleasant, but given your recent loss and having to process it all, particularly at a time when the world around us is in turmoil, and it's maybe not that surprising that you are finding it tough just now.

Anyway, I do hope that getting it off your chest helps a little. Even if it just eases the pressure until you can sit down and talk things through with a trusted friend, partner, family member or whatever, it will have been worthwhile.

Take care of yourself.  :)

Offline ljycb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7232 on: September 10, 2020, 01:07:43 pm »
Take care of yourself.  :)

Cannot being to tell you how appreciative I am for this post mate, you’ve opened up my eyes to a couple of things about myself there. Thank you for taking the time out to speak to me.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7233 on: September 10, 2020, 07:20:15 pm »
Cannot being to tell you how appreciative I am for this post mate, you’ve opened up my eyes to a couple of things about myself there. Thank you for taking the time out to speak to me.
You are most welcome.  :)

I wish you all the very best.

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7234 on: September 16, 2020, 01:54:29 pm »
I struggle with the answer. It's not a load to be jealous of, since while it is boss it either ends in a few months when the work-from-home Lockdown ends, or entails moving to London on a very low wage albeit in a job I find absolutely happy

It's a difficult one, because what you hear from others in most cases will be what they consider helpful, and they're saying it out of love. But at the same time, only you truly know what makes you happiest.

I got stick for becoming a union rep alongside my normal job responsibilities, when I started that I got, "why would you do that unpaid? People will just take advantage". I got stick for dropping my hours to part time to go uni "You'll only end up in loads of debt with no guaranteed job". I finally got a job in my chosen career and had the buzz sucked out with comments like "Oh, it's only temporary?" and "that's all they're paying you?". It can be difficult mate but honestly, you're in charge of your own path. If you feel this new job is the best place for you right now, and going by your above post you do, then it's right.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7235 on: September 17, 2020, 12:07:33 am »
It's a difficult one, because what you hear from others in most cases will be what they consider helpful, and they're saying it out of love. But at the same time, only you truly know what makes you happiest.

I got stick for becoming a union rep alongside my normal job responsibilities, when I started that I got, "why would you do that unpaid? People will just take advantage". I got stick for dropping my hours to part time to go uni "You'll only end up in loads of debt with no guaranteed job". I finally got a job in my chosen career and had the buzz sucked out with comments like "Oh, it's only temporary?" and "that's all they're paying you?". It can be difficult mate but honestly, you're in charge of your own path. If you feel this new job is the best place for you right now, and going by your above post you do, then it's right.

:)

A little while on.. the job is going better than I dreamed. I'm going full bore, I'm good at it, got good friends, and entering a phase that, while a bit double edged, I no longer wonder why exactly someone negative has an opinion I should care about.

I'm the boss of my life. Til I'm married anyway!

People are.. look, it hurts to admit this, I've had a boss day but I still find some people absolutely draining and warped.

That neighbour has seen me once since and he was all...nice but soft..alright Tone?
Me: yeah, fucking boss, everything is working for me, it's happening for me.
...he didn't say anything after that!

Can't figure it out. If he wants me to fail or what. People are strange. But now I've turned a corner a bit and I just don't see what makes people like that better than me.

I still have this sort of, even tonight on here, sadness, bafflement at why people say the things they do, etc
But to be honest I'm drawing a line with my situational depression. Some things you're MEANT to be fucking sad about.
I'm not into politics or the news much lately (it's very nice!) But, and I do mean this for anyone else who is suffering, sometimes it's perfectly okay to feel down, sad, confused.

Frankly there's a hell of a lot to be depressed about and I thank you and everyone else who has taken an interest..but I kept the boat up myself, I'm not a kid anymore, and it's probably high time I pulled the shutters down.

Cause when it comes to other people being snide about you and your choices, they're just rattling off their own issues in a roundabout way. What your union opponent meant was, HE can't figure out why he'd do it

And my neighbour, as everyone noticed..  :D ...was out of order and just overstepping the mark to an unbelievably degree. It's one thing to think badly of someone but it takes another class of tosser entirely to voice that in a destructive and nsdty way. End of the day it was better to get it off my chest and basically fuck him off out my life because if you live how other people think you should live you'll end up doing nothing.

My sister came round and apologised and gave me her blessing for finding my own way. That meant a lot. Our closeness is why I got hurt.. but it's also why we could mend it :)

I really didn't want to and still don't want to be an overly sceptical and self protective person, but there's times to listen and times to just ignore the auld fuck because fuck feeling bad about my choices.

Honestly got a bit more perspective now. Boss new job and it's better every day. When it comes down to it people make their choices and my choices involve trying to get a new career going and my neighbours choices involved slagging off paths I was forced to take for the good of my family.

I'm not quite snide enough to say Fuck him it's his problem... But I don't think it's wide of the mark. Reaching a nicer version of that would be nice. 'People will be people' maybe  ;D

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7236 on: September 17, 2020, 01:10:40 pm »
Honestly got a bit more perspective now. Boss new job and it's better every day. When it comes down to it people make their choices and my choices involve trying to get a new career going and my neighbours choices involved slagging off paths I was forced to take for the good of my family.

Boss outlook and glad you've got this perspective. You're dead right - people make their own choices. Let other people make their mistakes and in some cases live with their own negativity. It's up to you to choose what's best for you, and it looks like you're excelling at that. :champ

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7237 on: September 18, 2020, 05:13:44 pm »
Thanks everyone, I'm happy in my own skin but I can't be happy on forums. It's been proven over the years. When you speak, someone will shit on you. Or I am fundamentally broken or seek to otherwise instigate it unconsciously. Suppose it's a deep thing. I can't help but take it massively personally when it happens and I'm in a place where I'm just tired of the light going out. Good job I'm not on Twitter  ;D

I'm better off just doing my own thing.

But had some lovely words here, and I will walk away with the true feeling that people really can be decent. Each & every one of you is sound, there are some good hearts in this thread.

I'm not well, but it's a damn sight better than it could be. I'm going to shut myself off from the hurtful, horrible world and just continue my career, my music sideline, and supporting this wonderful club.

And for anyone else suffering depression; trust me, as bad as it gets, it's dark because it's a tunnel, and there's light at the end of every tunnel, and light at the top of every hole.

I'll be back.. some day... but if I'm not pouring my heart out I'm a target for everyone else or maybe I'm everything wrong with my life. Neither should stop the good things I do. Maybe it's time to just evolve, and be strong, do things my way, and be all I can be.

Much love.

T
X
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 05:17:10 pm by ToneLa »

Offline evie

• "Might have to think about it for a bit, k? No! That's not what I meant! Damn....." Prefers to hold it in.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hero
« Reply #7238 on: September 20, 2020, 08:35:59 pm »
I'm learning photography right now.  Sometimes I still feel I crap when I'm out but at least I've gone out and not just watching TV.

Hopefully my photography skills will only improve. It's a nice feeling when I get a photo I'm happy with.

Anyone else have a hobby that they try to keep themselves busy with when struggling mentally?

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7239 on: September 20, 2020, 10:00:19 pm »
I'm learning photography right now.  Sometimes I still feel I crap when I'm out but at least I've gone out and not just watching TV.

Hopefully my photography skills will only improve. It's a nice feeling when I get a photo I'm happy with.

Anyone else have a hobby that they try to keep themselves busy with when struggling mentally?

I'm still trying art, but I feel I've lost my passion for it a bit. to be honest I've lost passion for most things in life.  I think after being so same old for so long and struggling to overcome the fear of rejection and change the zest for life diminishes.  You just start thinking what's the point of it all.

I'm just trying to switch off and return to that feeling of childlike wonder I used to experience.

Popcorn's Art