Author Topic: Bird watch  (Read 282503 times)

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Bird watch
« Reply #3840 on: April 17, 2024, 05:50:17 pm »
A few i've recorded the last couple of days. I got some hanging bird feeders a couple of days ago but haven't set a camera up yet to record the birds that use them not that there's many just now but hopefully they will come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9agVspYSFY

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3841 on: April 17, 2024, 06:06:50 pm »
You have already got a great selection there! Those Blackbirds are two beauties and as for the spiny norman I am desperate to have a hedgehog in my garden. The Jackdaw fascinates me such a weird colour range on it. You must be quite pleased so far.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3842 on: April 17, 2024, 06:15:25 pm »
You have already got a great selection there! Those Blackbirds are two beauties and as for the spiny norman I am desperate to have a hedgehog in my garden. The Jackdaw fascinates me such a weird colour range on it. You must be quite pleased so far.

I love the Hedgehog. I bought a great big tub of Hedgehog food from AMAZON and was putting it out of an evening in a bowl but last night didn't do that, I took 2 handfuls of it (it's pellets) and scattered them in different places around the patio and he covered every inch hoovering them up :D. PS, I think Jackdaws are highly intelligent, I don't think they care for the skin on the outside of peanuts, I'm not kidding i've seen them take the skin off before eating them.  :)

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3843 on: April 17, 2024, 06:33:47 pm »
I love the Hedgehog. I bought a great big tub of Hedgehog food from AMAZON and was putting it out of an evening in a bowl but last night didn't do that, I took 2 handfuls of it (it's pellets) and scattered them in different places around the patio and he covered every inch hoovering them up :D. PS, I think Jackdaws are highly intelligent, I don't think they care for the skin on the outside of peanuts, I'm not kidding i've seen them take the skin off before eating them.  :)

Such a good idea hiding stuff around for the hedgehog to find. My sister has a wildlife camera in their garden in Derbyshire and it's amazing what it's picked up already, including some unusual birds, as well as hedgehogs and even a fox! They are opposite a wood which has a badger sett, so they come running through their garden most nights of the week! It was so exciting waiting to see what the camera had caught every time we looked. Jackdaws are part of the crow family so no surprise about them being intelligent I am just fascinated by their eyes. I have a load of black/grey paint to try out, maybe I should just paint a Jackdaw and be done with it. I can't wait for the next video!  ;D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #3844 on: April 17, 2024, 07:41:20 pm »
Do you get ring-necked parakeets yet? I've heard they're making it up to Manchester and have also reached the Netherlands, which tends to be much colder in the winter than SE England.
There are hundreds of them in Sefton Park. They've been there many years.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3845 on: April 17, 2024, 08:37:06 pm »
I am pretty sure people who go to Sefton and Calderstones Park have seen the Parakeets,
Yep, loads in both as SoS says. You can't fail to hear them anytime you go.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3846 on: April 18, 2024, 12:31:47 pm »
Such a good idea hiding stuff around for the hedgehog to find. My sister has a wildlife camera in their garden in Derbyshire and it's amazing what it's picked up already, including some unusual birds, as well as hedgehogs and even a fox! They are opposite a wood which has a badger sett, so they come running through their garden most nights of the week! It was so exciting waiting to see what the camera had caught every time we looked. Jackdaws are part of the crow family so no surprise about them being intelligent I am just fascinated by their eyes. I have a load of black/grey paint to try out, maybe I should just paint a Jackdaw and be done with it. I can't wait for the next video!  ;D
Sounds fabulous.  :)

More animals and less people in the world and it would be a far better place in my opinion.

PS, I only ever seen a Badger once in my life and it was out in the countryside near Hexham during a bike ride and the poor thing was lying dead in the road. I was quite surprised at the size of it, it was equal to a medium sized dog I would say.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #3847 on: April 18, 2024, 01:28:56 pm »
Bloody hell mate that's over the park from you. Did ye peg it or bike it ya arl slouch.

There was an owl in the garden last night and all I had to do was open my window a little .   :wave
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3848 on: April 18, 2024, 01:30:51 pm »
There are hundreds of them in Sefton Park. They've been there many years.

I haven't seen them for moons you know. Rumour has it they've moved to Prinny to get away from that awful sings depressing power ballads out of key singer by the cafe.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3849 on: April 18, 2024, 06:20:39 pm »
I haven't seen them for moons you know. Rumour has it they've moved to Prinny to get away from that awful sings depressing power ballads out of key singer by the cafe.
Haha! I've seen that singer.

For what it's worth, I think the parakeets have a worse song. They're so pretty, but screech like Banshees. They're definitely still there. I see loads every time I'm in the park, which is a number of times a week. There were a few in gardens on Livingston Drive last week too. I think they raid the bird feeders people put out.

Some Coot chicks showing up in the park now. A few Mallard chicks the other week. Woodpecker still headbanging away too. 😃
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3850 on: April 18, 2024, 09:05:09 pm »
Haha! I've seen that singer.

For what it's worth, I think the parakeets have a worse song. They're so pretty, but screech like Banshees. They're definitely still there. I see loads every time I'm in the park, which is a number of times a week. There were a few in gardens on Livingston Drive last week too. I think they raid the bird feeders people put out.

Some Coot chicks showing up in the park now. A few Mallard chicks the other week. Woodpecker still headbanging away too. 😃

The parakeets don't know if they are out of key though .  That singer does and should be fucked off and have the parakeets there instead. She does it for charity though so I'll let her off or maybe the parakeets could have a whip ' round for her and get her singing and tuning lessons.  The woodies are boss but I've not heard them for a week or so. Maybe they've fucked off to or they've eventually found a nice tree to live in.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline fridgepants

• Main Stander
  • They should let everybody be a giant for a day
« Reply #3851 on: April 19, 2024, 11:20:09 am »
I think magpies sound awful is the tradeoff for being both smart and pretty, because nature won't let you also have the advantage of a beautiful singing voice, but I'm not sure how intelligent parakeets are.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #3852 on: April 21, 2024, 01:45:04 pm »
Now I know why the moorhens have been so aggressive of late - they have babies  ;D.

Just spotted one on the pond.  First of many, hopefully.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3853 on: April 21, 2024, 02:53:02 pm »
The parakeets don't know if they are out of key though.  That singer does and should be fucked off and have the parakeets there instead. She does it for charity though so I'll let her off or maybe the parakeets could have a whip ' round for her and get her singing and tuning lessons.  The woodies are boss but I've not heard them for a week or so. Maybe they've fucked off to or they've eventually found a nice tree to live in.
That's a good point. 😃

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #3854 on: April 22, 2024, 01:35:25 pm »
The local wood pigeon took an entire tray's worth of seed and mealworm in about 15 minutes yesterday.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Online butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3855 on: April 22, 2024, 07:12:14 pm »
Spring has sprung. Our over winter Blackcaps seem to have left, replaced by Goldfinch and a Greenfinch, who I was a bit concerned about with the trichomoniasis outbreak. Just waiting on the Bullfinches now.

Got a really good look at a Garden Warbler while out and about at the weekend, unusually bold singing from the top of a tree. The songs are the only way I can tell the warblers apart most of the time!