Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12294639 times)

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Youth and Under 23 Thread
« Reply #101160 on: January 4, 2020, 12:39:01 pm »
3-0 now O'Rourke with the goal. Tyler Morton involved with all the goals.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #101161 on: January 4, 2020, 04:59:16 pm »
Gonna be busy for our unders over the next couple of weeks. Good start, thanks for the info. Not seen a Tyler Morton play yet, who would you compare him to?
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101162 on: January 4, 2020, 05:26:34 pm »
Gonna be busy for our unders over the next couple of weeks. Good start, thanks for the info. Not seen a Tyler Morton play yet, who would you compare him to?
I've barely seen him play myself mate.  He's a 1st year with the u18s, turned 17 in October, plays in midfield and was very busy around their penalty area today.

Got the assist for the 1st, won the penalty after a run into the area, then slid a nice ball through for the 3rd.

Decent dribbler, not afraid to run at people and can see a pass.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #101163 on: January 5, 2020, 07:47:12 am »
I've barely seen him play myself mate.  He's a 1st year with the u18s, turned 17 in October, plays in midfield and was very busy around their penalty area today.

Got the assist for the 1st, won the penalty after a run into the area, then slid a nice ball through for the 3rd.

Decent dribbler, not afraid to run at people and can see a pass.

Thanks Debs. Will look out for him
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #101164 on: January 5, 2020, 12:36:44 pm »
18 year old Bosnian wonderkid Dal Varesanovic on the bench for U23s today. One to keep an eye on.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101165 on: January 5, 2020, 05:01:03 pm »
Joe Hardy came on for us in the U23s match.  LFC report says he is a striker and arrived this month from Brentford.  I guess as we have no strikers at U23s level we had to bring one in.  But very unheralded.  Hope he’s good.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #101166 on: January 5, 2020, 06:02:44 pm »
Williams was very impressive just as all other lads.

I think he's worthy of us not going into the market for Trent's back-up in the summer. Over the next year Neco is going to improve and further develop, there's no need to rush and bring someone in who's gonna block his development.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #101167 on: January 5, 2020, 06:04:21 pm »
Williams was very impressive just as all other lads.

I think he's worthy of us not going into the market for Trent's back-up in the summer. Over the next year Neco is going to improve and further develop, there's no need to rush and bring someone in who's gonna block his development.

Between him and Hoever getting minutes too I think we’re completely fine there
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #101168 on: January 5, 2020, 06:05:04 pm »
Thought Williams was excellent, made the right decisions and showed real quality on the ball.  Very mature performance.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #101169 on: January 5, 2020, 06:06:06 pm »
Neco Williams is going to be getting his own thread soon  ;D

The lad is a real talent.  Him and Jones already look good enough to be first team squad members - they are I know, but ones who will be getting fairly regular minutes as subs and sometimes starters next season the way they are going.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101170 on: January 5, 2020, 06:07:25 pm »
Chirivella was excellent, touch passing positioning he played that DM position expertly as he always does.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101171 on: January 5, 2020, 06:07:46 pm »
Neco looks a bit like a young Trent, amazing delivery. Would rather have that from a back up rb than moving Gomez out there who can concentrate on becoming one of the best cb's on the planet.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101172 on: January 5, 2020, 06:11:17 pm »
Let's give Neco a chance for the sake of easing the burden on Trent and the fact that he looks like he's got what it takes. That was a very impressive performance by him, and very encouraging. Did the things that Trent seems to have bee taught from a positional sense.

Alex Inglethorpe looks to be doing a damn fine job at the helm of this academy. There's nothing better than seeing local lads do the business.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101173 on: January 5, 2020, 06:12:55 pm »
Neco looks a bit like a young Trent, amazing delivery. Would rather have that from a back up rb than moving Gomez out there who can concentrate on becoming one of the best cb's on the planet.

I think that is what we may see now. Him being taken to Quatar rather than stay for the villa game seemed to suggest he's made that leap from playing in a cup game and that's it, to a player who's now very much part of the 1st team set-up, and who would be trusted if needed.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101174 on: January 5, 2020, 06:21:27 pm »
Thought williams might need to drop down a levelmor two before ending up in the premier league. Taleneted enough but was hard to see a pathway with trent/Gomez and at the time Hoever infront. If we trust him to play 1000ish minutes next season he should be able to skip that stage.

Jones needs to just keep trusting himself. He's clearly ready to contribute now, but still not playing with the freedom he does in the u23s. Imagine that will come with more games and moments like today though.

English academies are full of talent. Just need opprtunites to show it.
« Last Edit: January 5, 2020, 06:23:53 pm by Chris~ »

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101175 on: January 5, 2020, 06:35:24 pm »
How good was Chirivella? Shame it looks like he might be leaving but he was quality.

Williams... top class. I don't know who the Welsh RB is at the moment but if Giggs doesn't put him in the next squad then he's mad.

Phillips.. that lad was quality at CB..

Larouci - wow lad just wow.. coming out for captain Milner less than 10 mins in and performing like he's played for us 100 times at LB not making his 1st game. He was outstanding

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #101176 on: January 5, 2020, 06:39:36 pm »
How good was Chirivella? Shame it looks like he might be leaving but he was quality.

Williams... top class. I don't know who the Welsh RB is at the moment but if Giggs doesn't put him in the next squad then he's mad.

Phillips.. that lad was quality at CB..

Larouci - wow lad just wow.. coming out for captain Milner less than 10 mins in and performing like he's played for us 100 times at LB not making his 1st game. He was outstanding
All of that. I enjoyed the Richarlison-Williams battle a lot; Neco kept a very decent, experienced and technical striker quiet.

And I'd add Harvey did himself proud too. Sixteen, he's fucking sixteen...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #101177 on: January 5, 2020, 06:42:27 pm »
I think we need a Neco Williams thread. Who can do the honors? Has a bit of Trent in him that lad. And massive balls. Annihilated Digne all game. What a lad!

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101178 on: January 5, 2020, 06:44:27 pm »
Larouci might save us money on Robertson back up...the kid was outstanding tonight!

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #101179 on: January 5, 2020, 06:45:20 pm »
I think we need a Neco Williams thread. Who can do the honors? Has a bit of Trent in him that lad. And massive balls. Annihilated Digne all game. What a lad!
Start one.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101180 on: January 5, 2020, 07:23:57 pm »
Chirivella was excellent, touch passing positioning he played that DM position expertly as he always does.

Thought he was superb, and if he doesn't stay with us he will make himself a good career at a high level playing like that. Would not be surprised if Jurgen tries to keep him given how important that 6 role is as he looks so comfortable playing it.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #101181 on: January 5, 2020, 07:33:36 pm »

Reminded me a bit of when Jack Robinson had to come on early at Arsenal and kept Theo Walcott quiet funnily enough. Robinson looked a really good prospect at the time before all the injuries.

It's good to have the likes of Hoever, Williams and Larouci who can be thrown in here and there if required at full back, especially if Milner's injured as he's our main cover in several positions.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101182 on: January 5, 2020, 10:23:41 pm »
All the kids did well today, none of them looked out of place. Chirivella ought to stay until the end of the season, to cover the shortage of midfielders.
Justice for the 96!

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #101183 on: January 5, 2020, 10:27:49 pm »
Reminded me a bit of when Jack Robinson had to come on early at Arsenal and kept Theo Walcott quiet funnily enough. Robinson looked a really good prospect at the time before all the injuries.

It's good to have the likes of Hoever, Williams and Larouci who can be thrown in here and there if required at full back, especially if Milner's injured as he's our main cover in several positions.

On the back of this display and their general growth training with the first team, can see either Neco or Larouci being considered for starts in certain prem games.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #101184 on: January 5, 2020, 10:29:20 pm »

I think 'here and there' is key.

One of the great things about the club now is that our u-23s more or less play in the same style as the first team. So in each position, our backups should have a reasonable idea of what's expected of them, even if they aren't at the same level as the senior players. That means in a pinch, we don't need to change the way we play and can carry on doing our thing. That's not to undervalue the likes of Williams or Larouci, who look like players with real potential, but it helps them to have a template and clear instructions about their role when they come in.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #101185 on: January 5, 2020, 10:32:10 pm »
Williams looked capable of coming in and covering for Trent if needed but I wasn't as convinced by Larouci.  He's game and potentially a threat as an attacking fullback but his positional sense was really ropey.  Could just be down to not being familiar with the set up and coming on as sub, but I thought Williams was much more composed.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101186 on: January 5, 2020, 11:05:00 pm »
Williams looked capable of coming in and covering for Trent if needed but I wasn't as convinced by Larouci.  He's game and potentially a threat as an attacking fullback but his positional sense was really ropey.  Could just be down to not being familiar with the set up and coming on as sub, but I thought Williams was much more composed.

Might be because Williams has come through the academy as a right back.  Larouci, when he joined as a first year U18s, was a winger.  He’s very pacy.  Only moved by the staff to LB at the start of last season I think it was.  So he does have the defensive duties to learn.   I think Williams is certainly highly thought of but to compare him to Trent, as some on here are, is a little OTT. Trent is really exceptional;  passing, shooting, tech ability, pace and stamina.  Neco has a lots of potential but isn’t as fast for a start, not that pace is everything.  I say that because I recall him getting left behind by wingers he was up against when he was first playing up in the U23s.  But he was underage, and I think he has grown a bit since then so I may be wrong.

Offline Maldini

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101187 on: January 6, 2020, 10:06:40 am »
Looks like Cameron Brannagan might be coming back to the PL, he seems to be doing very well at Oxford. From David Ornstein on The Athletic:

League One midfielder turning heads in Premier League and Championship

Cameron Brannagan dropped down to League One after leaving Liverpool but the midfielder is expected to begin climbing back up the ladder after an impressive season with Oxford United. He has attracted the attention of more than a dozen Championship sides and a couple in the Premier League.

Brannagan played nine times under Jurgen Klopp, who said the player had “everything you need” in a midfielder. “He’s strong, he’s clear, he’s cool,” said Klopp. But the 23-year-old left to gain regular first-team football and is showing his potential.

He has seven goals and has created the most open-play chances per 90 minutes of any player his age or under in League One. Of all midfielders, he has the most accurate passes in the final third and most key passes.

He only has 18 months left on his contract, so is set to cost about £1 million either in January or next summer.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #101188 on: January 6, 2020, 05:56:18 pm »
Was worried a month ago about our continuity planning. In two years we may have been without Klopp with an ageing squad like City have now. But you see the quality coming through and with Klopp penning a new deal I can’t see any issues. Plus you have Gerrard doing well in Scotland too.

I can just see a Steven Gerrard led team with Pep Ljinders as assistant lining up in 8 years time with Alisson, Neco Williams, Hoever, Gomez, Larouci, Jones, Trent, Keita, Elliott, Brewster, Sancho

A few there might still have a lot to prove but you can see bags for potential certainly enough to give them a shot at being top top players.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101189 on: January 6, 2020, 06:58:32 pm »
Brazilian press reporting Allan might be sold permanently to Atletico Minero? How may years did we spend trying to get a permit for him?  ;D

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101190 on: January 6, 2020, 07:12:30 pm »

This was definitely the case for Larouci.  His poor positioning allowed Walcott to get in behind him a couple of times in the first half. 

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #101191 on: January 6, 2020, 07:53:05 pm »
Was worried a month ago about our continuity planning. In two years we may have been without Klopp with an ageing squad like City have now. But you see the quality coming through and with Klopp penning a new deal I can’t see any issues. Plus you have Gerrard doing well in Scotland too.

I can just see a Steven Gerrard led team with Pep Ljinders as assistant lining up in 8 years time with Alisson, Neco Williams, Hoever, Gomez, Larouci, Jones, Trent, Keita, Elliott, Brewster, Sancho

A few there might still have a lot to prove but you can see bags for potential certainly enough to give them a shot at being top top players.
Oh Please! Stop it now.

Offline Escorcio

• Kopite
« Reply #101192 on: January 6, 2020, 10:15:49 pm »

I can just see a Steven Gerrard led team with Pep Ljinders as assistant lining up in 8 years time with Alisson, Neco Williams, Hoever, Gomez, Larouci, Jones, Trent, Milner, Elliott, Brewster, Sancho

Fixed

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101193 on: January 7, 2020, 07:20:50 am »
Oh Please! Stop it now.

I’m saying in 8 years time when Klopp is highly unlikely to still be our manager. That’s plenty of time for Gerrard to gain experience and prove himself worthy of the job. Wouldn’t mind if it was Pep Ljinders either. Just think Gerrard seems likely given he signed a contract extension of the exact same length on the day Klopp did.

Fixed

Haha, that man is a machine!
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #101194 on: January 7, 2020, 07:24:48 am »
I’m saying in 8 years time. That’s plenty of time for Gerrard to gain experience and prove himself worthy of the job. Wouldn’t mind if it was Pep Ljinders either. Just think Gerrard seems likely given he signed a contract extension of the exact same length on the day Klopp did
And my contract with my current customer ends at the same time as Klopp and Gerrard. Coincidence? I think not.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #101195 on: January 7, 2020, 08:12:11 am »
And my contract with my current customer ends at the same time as Klopp and Gerrard. Coincidence? I think not.

But was your contract announced on the same day as the other two were?

8) ;D

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101196 on: January 7, 2020, 09:00:56 am »
I’m saying in 8 years time when Klopp is highly unlikely to still be our manager. That’s plenty of time for Gerrard to gain experience and prove himself worthy of the job. Wouldn’t mind if it was Pep Ljinders either. Just think Gerrard seems likely given he signed a contract extension of the exact same length on the day Klopp did.

Haha, that man is a machine!

It’s coincidence. There’s no way the next manager is coming to us from rangers. We need someone with pedigree coming from a top league. At the moment I see little in Gerrard that reminds me of Klopp in both playing style or personality. He’ll need to do a lot in 8 years (and in a proper league) to change my opinion.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101197 on: January 7, 2020, 09:03:35 am »
Youth and Under 23 Thread. Can we bin off the Gerrard/Klopp's successor chat?

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101198 on: January 7, 2020, 01:33:18 pm »

Happy to, the original point was that it looks like our continuity planning from Klopp etc, is right on track so the youth players coming through can provide a great foundation to build our squad around in a few years time, so we can focus our transfer money on targeted top level signings, at higher cost, since we have superb potential in across the pitch coming from our youth. I see Neco, Curtis, Harvey and Ki-Jana all getting first team action by the end of the season, especially if we wrap the league up by April. If they're surrounded by first XI, I don't think they'll be any noticeable drop off.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101199 on: January 7, 2020, 01:45:22 pm »

can we bin it off on the forum as a whole, it's tedious. Especially as Kloppo only signed a new deal recently!