Author Topic: pacheco joins norwich on loan  (Read 86386 times)

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: pacheco joins norwich on loan
« Reply #280 on: March 27, 2011, 07:10:00 am »
I think the nationality or culture thing was a real positive for us when Rafa was here.  Not that you want to have a manager simply for their nationality, but I'm just saying that it was a plus.

South America and Spain have brilliant players, and when our team was full of Spanish-speakers it was probably easier to recruit new players who might be sceptical or on the fence about moving here.  Wenger does the same thing with France/West Africa.  Once one or two players come to an English club, then many fans in the country or region sort of adopt that team as their English club.  Soon, players would rather go to you than another English club where the same culture/influence does not exist.

Almost every African player on the continent lists Arsenal as their favourite English club.  Spaniards used to say the same (and possibly still do, though to a lesser extent) about us.  I think that helps when trying to bring in young Spanish/South American talent.  Not that it's everything; again, all things considered, I'm glad we have Kenny and not Rafa in charge.  But to say that it doesn't affect players at all I think is a fallacy.  It's obviously affected Pacheco to not have a Spanish coach and Spanish internationals in the first team ahead of him, and combine that with never getting played he's probably got a chip on his shoulder about it.

Wish him the best when he inevitably leaves.
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline Mostar

• Video guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #281 on: March 27, 2011, 09:46:42 am »
Seems like he has one foot out the door. Guess he is saying if he doesn't get games next season he will be off. Can't say I blame him really.

He wants to play regularly and clearly he didn't have many chances (2 starts in 5 games) this year with us. If we have any plans to keep him loan to Norwich can do lot of good.

If they qualify to PL perhaps extending the loan till January could be helpful to see if he can cut it at the highest level.
Member #1 of the Luis Suarez fan club
http://twitter.com/@LFCmostar

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #282 on: March 27, 2011, 01:50:43 pm »
Kenny writing today about the need for flexibility in a player (bigging up Ashley Young as he did so). If Pacheco is perceived as not adaptable enough (yet) it may explain why he hasn't had a run-out. There again, the loan to Norwich may simply be to develop him further. Also, we start next season with a clean slate - if we bolster wisely we'll be able to introduce some of the fringe youngsters into cup games, with a strong, experienced framework around them.

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #283 on: March 28, 2011, 12:52:56 pm »
Also got Portsmouth away live on Sky on Monday 2nd May. Our game against Scunthorpe this Saturday will also be streamed on all your regular streaming websites if anyone wants to watch.

Anyway, I am a Norwich fan if it's not obvious already, excited to see what Pacheco can do. Not sure if he will go straight into the team or not. Lambert is unpredictable and though we don't have much quality up front, we have 5 very good midfield players worthy of a start. Have to say the one thing this team is crying out for is a someone with pace who can take people on, which should work in Pacheco's favour from what I have heard about him. Where do you think he is more suited, in an attacking midfield role or up front? Most likely to play alongside Grant Holt up top I'd have thought, with Wes Hoolahan in the hole.
In attack, off the front man or in a pretty advanced position right or left. He spends a lot of his time up front in the reserves, although played a bit deeper in the last game if memory serves me correctly. He also spent a lot of time on the left in the recent Euros. He's not a paceman mind, but certainly has a trick or two allied to good finishing and an eye for a pass. The key will be whether your man Lambert thinks he's strong enough for the Championship, or prefers the burlier Vokes to play with Holt.
Do you have a normal system or does it vary from game to game?
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline Abrak

• Pulling his Peter Principle
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: March 28, 2011, 01:00:26 pm »
In attack, off the front man or in a pretty advanced position right or left. He spends a lot of his time up front in the reserves, although played a bit deeper in the last game if memory serves me correctly. He also spent a lot of time on the left in the recent Euros. He's not a paceman mind, but certainly has a trick or two allied to good finishing and an eye for a pass. The key will be whether your man Lambert thinks he's strong enough for the Championship, or prefers the burlier Vokes to play with Holt.
Do you have a normal system or does it vary from game to game?
My feeling having only watched him a couple of times is that he is definitely good enough to play in the Championship. I would say that if Norwich progress he has the potential of at least being a squad member of a newly promoted Premiership Team.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: March 28, 2011, 01:04:18 pm »
Happy that he was allowed a loan move. I trust Kenny's opinion on who is good enough and who deserves a chance in the side though so if Pacheco is not given enough games then fair enough.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #286 on: March 28, 2011, 01:07:04 pm »

looks like he's licking his lips at the opportunity.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline astowell1

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp!
« Reply #287 on: March 28, 2011, 05:32:54 pm »
He wants to play regularly and clearly he didn't have many chances (2 starts in 5 games) this year with us. If we have any plans to keep him loan to Norwich can do lot of good.

If they qualify to PL perhaps extending the loan till January could be helpful to see if he can cut it at the highest level.

Totally agree, I would support adding to the loan deal if Norwich get promoted, perfect way to see how he deals with the Premiership week in week out without having to take the gamble ourselves of starting him with out necessarily knowing how well he will do.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #288 on: March 28, 2011, 05:39:13 pm »
I've got a bad feeling he won't make the grade. Kenny's been giving chances to Shelvey, Ngog and even Poulsen but Dani hasn't gotten anything.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline astowell1

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp!
« Reply #289 on: March 28, 2011, 05:43:07 pm »
I've got a bad feeling he won't make the grade. Kenny's been giving chances to Shelvey, Ngog and even Poulsen but Dani hasn't gotten anything.

Perhaps Kenny feels like Pacheco isn't quite ready just yet? Hope its just that, because I would like to see Pacheco make it.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #290 on: March 28, 2011, 07:56:42 pm »
Played the second half of Spains 3-2 loss to France today.

Dunno how well he played but it was in the 2nd half that Spain scored their goals.

Offline lfc_fan2005

• Legacy Fan
  • La Liga enthusiast
« Reply #291 on: March 28, 2011, 08:01:41 pm »
Played the second half of Spains 3-2 loss to France today.

Dunno how well he played but it was in the 2nd half that Spain scored their goals.

It was on Friday, for the U21 B-Team. He played okay from what I saw, didn't get too involved but it was tough with ten men. The A-Team are playing now against Belarus but Dani is not involved.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #292 on: March 28, 2011, 08:06:37 pm »
It was on Friday, for the U21 B-Team. He played okay from what I saw, didn't get too involved but it was tough with ten men. The A-Team are playing now against Belarus but Dani is not involved.

My mistake, knew they were playing today and assumed that was the game.

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: March 28, 2011, 09:29:10 pm »

How sure are you about the A & B team? I haven't looked at the line-ups, but I'm surprised they'd pick an A team vs Belarus, and a B team vs France. Isn't it more likely they're just 2 squads of players?

Offline AnotherSpanishfan

• The Human Babelfish
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: March 28, 2011, 10:27:08 pm »
How sure are you about the A & B team? I haven't looked at the line-ups, but I'm surprised they'd pick an A team vs Belarus, and a B team vs France. Isn't it more likely they're just 2 squads of players?

The "A" team is basically the current U21 team that will compete in this year's tournament. It's mostly composed of 21 year olds with a few exceptions such as De Gea, Thiago, Muniain and a few others.  There's even a number of 22 year olds.  The "B" team that played against France was composed of players all born in or after 1990 and the idea is for those players to eventually be the U21 competing for the tournaments.  Also, there is a U20 WC this summer and i'm sure that a number of those players will be part of it.

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: March 28, 2011, 10:28:08 pm »
The "A" team is basically the current U21 team that will compete in this year's tournament. It's mostly composed of 21 year olds with a few exceptions such as De Gea, Thiago, Muniain and a few others.  There's even a number of 22 year olds.  The "B" team that played against France was composed of players all born in or after 1990 and the idea is for those players to eventually be the U21 competing for the tournaments.  Also, there is a U20 WC this summer and i'm sure that a number of those players will be part of it.

Ah, thank you, that makes sense.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aurrera begiratzen ez duena, atzean dago.
« Reply #296 on: March 28, 2011, 10:33:05 pm »
Not forgetting Spearing who's got yet another opportunity to impress Tranmere scouts due to Gerrard's injury. As for Pacheco, well I hope he does well down there for his own sake, but I too can see him becoming Nemeth Mk II. Difference being Dani has already shown in his briefest of cameos that he has what it takes to make the grade. That unfit shite like Cole were getting starts ahead of him was a pisstake frankly.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #297 on: March 28, 2011, 11:44:12 pm »
Not forgetting Spearing who's got yet another opportunity to impress Tranmere scouts due to Gerrard's injury. As for Pacheco, well I hope he does well down there for his own sake, but I too can see him becoming Nemeth Mk II. Difference being Dani has already shown in his briefest of cameos that he has what it takes to make the grade. That unfit shite like Cole were getting starts ahead of him was a pisstake frankly.
Sorry Rossi, has he really? Apart from 1 header to set up N'Gog last season, i don't remember him dong anything of note with any of the playing time he did get. That's not me trying to be argumentative, i honestly can't remember anything.
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #298 on: March 29, 2011, 12:43:00 am »
i think when rafa left,he lost something....psychological i reckon
he'll be back...too talented not to
success = the absence of the fear of failure

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: March 29, 2011, 01:18:28 am »

Think you are massively jumping the gun here. If Pacheco does well at Norwich and then comes back and gets sold/marooned in the reserves then you will have reason to complain. It's clear that what he needs to develop is first team football. It's far less clear that he has shown enough to get that in significant amounts at Liverpool at the moment. I think the comparision with Shelvey is a good one. Shelvey has got a fair amount of first team performances in a competitive league under his belt and for that reason has looked twice the player than Pacheco has when he has played first team for us.

Pacheco has shown a great deal of potential at reserve level but has shown nothing more in the first team than Cole. If you are in the shit, as we have been this season, you stick in experienced players who know their way around the league. Where we have played youngsters we have done so because of a lack of depth in their position, which is not something Pacheco has been able to benefit from. Hopefully next season, where there is a bit more stability, then (assuming he lives up to the hype at Norwich) we can be a bit more loose with blooding him.

And for what it's worth, whilst I enjoy your posts and look out for what you say as stuff that is usually sensible you can't half be a twat sometimes towards our own players. I think we all know that Spearing isn't going to make it as a first teamer, and I think that most of us feel that he won't ever feature in a PL winning '18' but I think it is pretty low to belittle someone that has captained his youth/reserve teams and has played decently when called upon (not to mention showing more desire than alot of players who have turned out for us recently) as a player that is simply auditioning for Tranmere.

Offline Ambrosia

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: March 29, 2011, 01:25:12 am »
What exactly has Shelvey done to deserve the game time he's been getting? other than us spending £5m on him, really can't see anything too special about him. The only impact he's had so far in the first team, is making up the numbers on the pitch.

I wonder how much of an impact Pacheco's lack of physique is having on Kenny's thinking. It can't be his technical ability that is an issue.

Offline R-L-P_R_I

• Anny Roader
« Reply #301 on: March 29, 2011, 01:42:17 am »
Sorry Rossi, has he really? Apart from 1 header to set up Ngog last season, i don't remember him dong anything of note with any of the playing time he did get. That's not me trying to be argumentative, i honestly can't remember anything.

Things Pacheco has done of note would be...

- Debut vs. Fiorentina he hit a low, fizzing shot from outside the box which i think was tipped round the near post or hit the side netting.
- League debut vs. Wolves he came on and looked crisp in possession, playing over on the right.
- Against Unirea he played a knock down for N'Gog to score late on, as you say.
- Against Man City he came on and was just about the only player that night to look calm in possession and keep the ball well, even if his cameo was extra brief.
- Against Trabzonspor away he came on as a sub and from the left, outside the box, he hit a stinging shot which could only be parried by the goalkeeper for Dirk to tap in.

Sure, he hasn't done a lot in a Liverpool shirt but then again for the vast amount of time he has been restricted to cameos. Those five cameos showed glimpses of what he can bring to the first team. The only time he's played the majority of a game was against Rabotnicki, Northampton and Steaua and he failed to make positive impressions on those matches; it could be he's more effective right now as a substitute (for 20-30 minutes instead of 5-10, that is).

I'm hoping he'll make a big impression for Norwich and then can come back to us next season, perhaps as understudy to Suarez.

Offline ryatnalkar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: March 29, 2011, 01:54:32 am »
What exactly has Shelvey done to deserve the game time he's been getting? other than us spending £5m on him, really can't see anything too special about him. The only impact he's had so far in the first team, is making up the numbers on the pitch.

I wonder how much of an impact Pacheco's lack of physique is having on Kenny's thinking. It can't be his technical ability that is an issue.

I think Shelvey has done a good job of replacing the tired midfielder in the matches we were winning and he looked dangerous with good long pass (for the counter) on him and has that late surging run on which he looks like he might score. He keeps the ball well (not as well as Fabregas, but better than Pacheco). I think Pacheco has failed a bit here. I am not saying he is not a very good player. But to get a look in in any premier league team, he should have beefed up a bit or improved his body strength, I think the only start he got, he got run off the ball and gave the ball away too easily. Plus, he should have made himself more flexible in terms of positions he can play. I dont think he has a future here, although could go on to be a very good player for some Spanish side. Hope I am wrong though.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: March 29, 2011, 02:02:32 am »

Admittedly it is very subjective, but for me whenever Shelvey has come on (apart from the couple of times when he has been played out wide) he has looked comfortable in the game. He's just slotted in quietly, played short balls when their on and held his position when necessary but not been afraid to push forward where there is space or try a more direct pass. He's looked like a member of the team, a cog in the machine. Whenever Pacheco has played he's looked like a very talented youngster trying to make a name for himself, rushing things and trying passes/tricks/runs that aren't really the right option. It has looked a little bit like 10 Liverpool players plus Pacheco. That isn't as much as a dig as it sounds, as I think alot of youth players (especially attacking ones) look like that when they first come into the team. But that would be my answer to your question - Shelvey looks like a First team substitute, Pacheco looks like a youth player trying to grab his chance.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: March 29, 2011, 02:04:07 am »
And I don't think his physique has a great deal to do with it, Spearing has been getting games in a more defensive role despite being a littlun.

Offline Ambrosia

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: March 29, 2011, 02:27:19 am »
You'd be right that this is all subjective.

Shelvey so far has shown his passing is erratic, he's slow, and imo he isn't mobile enough to become a top class Premiership player. I do however realise, i know fuck all about football in comparison to those at the club.

However, lets be honest here. This glorifying of Shelvey, is just people trying to understand and justify why Pacheco is being loaned out and not given an opportunity at Liverpool so far.

What is obvious though, that Pacheco's case isn't as cut and dry as him not showing his stuff in training or the pitch in the few minutes gives. There's something more to it, so people passing judgement on the ten minutes he got here and there, are basing their conclusions on just a flimsy bit of nothing.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: March 29, 2011, 02:46:24 am »

Shelvey so far has shown his passing is erratic, he's slow, and imo he isn't mobile enough to become a top class Premiership player. I do however realise, i know fuck all about football in comparison to those at the club.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: March 29, 2011, 02:50:09 am »
However, lets be honest here. This glorifying of Shelvey, is just people trying to understand and justify why Pacheco is being loaned out and not given an opportunity at Liverpool so far.

I'm not glorifying Shelvey or even saying that in the long term he will be a better player than Pacheco, just saying that for me he has looked far more comfortable playing first team football at this point in time (admittedly based on limited minutes). The only way we could make an exhaustive comparision between the two would be if Shelvey had played a few 90 minutes at reserve level, which he hasn't done as yet.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: March 29, 2011, 02:55:37 am »
What is obvious though, that Pacheco's case isn't as cut and dry as him not showing his stuff in training or the pitch in the few minutes gives. There's something more to it, so people passing judgement on the ten minutes he got here and there, are basing their conclusions on just a flimsy bit of nothing.

Go on, elaborate. Assuming that Pacheco is tearing it up in training, and that the coaching staff agree with you that on his limited appearances he has looked first team quality, why would they send him out on loan?

It really isn't complicated, he needs first team football in order to progress and the management don't think he is good enough at the moment to get that football at Liverpool. By all means debate whether they have got that assessment of his current quality wrong, but don't go throwing round vague assertions that "there's something more to it" without being specific or providing any supporting evidence.

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #309 on: March 29, 2011, 05:57:52 am »
I do think Kenny and co are playing it cautious with regard to Pacheco - then again, it's easy to say that from the armchair.  There could be many variables, away from sight, that we aren't privy to. If Kenny believes that Pacheco at his current level isn't able to help the club shore its position, that playing a seasoned but struggling pro in Cole ahead of him is a better proposition, I'd go along with it because it isn't arbitrary and Kenny has considered all possible factors.

Still, accepting Kenny's decision doesn't make me wince less every time Cole plays and Pacheco collects splinters.

Offline Rednigeri@n

• Main Stander
  • Na Wa Oh!!!
« Reply #310 on: March 29, 2011, 06:18:18 am »
Unless Pacheco lights it up at Norwich and scores or assists a goal per game, he won't have a future here.  Pacechos loan gives him the chance to show people that he's not just hype.  It gives him the chance to show that he isn't just another Laurie Dalle Valle or another Nemeth.

And I think alternatively people need to stop bigging him up saying he's the next David Villa every time he scores for the reserves.

Look at Jay Spearing.  He looked great for the reserves, people were saying he's gonna be the next big thing out of the academy, then all of a sudden it turns out he's not as good as people thought he was.  And after people lowered there expectations and started calling him a championship player, he started to kick on and flourish.

The same needs to happen with Pacecho.  People need to stop putting all this unnecessary hype on him and just let him prove it on the big stage.  There are plenty of players who have been amazing in the reserves only to fall flat when they get their chance at the senior level.  Let Pacecho prove himself at senior level first, then we'll see if he's really as good as people are making him out to be.

Offline El Rey, por favor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: March 29, 2011, 06:09:06 pm »
You'd be right that this is all subjective.

Shelvey will become top class, mark my words... Infact quote me on that.
PLEASE DONATE TO MY LONDON MARATHON RUN IN AID OF CROHN'S AND COLITIS UK: http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=312885

Offline C

• ock. Skinny bastard attempting to give himself a brekkie heart attack. Miserable, Unless we win of course.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: March 29, 2011, 06:17:48 pm »
Unless Pacheco lights it up at Norwich and scores or assists a goal per game, he won't have a future here.  Pacechos loan gives him the chance to show people that he's not just hype.  It gives him the chance to show that he isn't just another Laurie Dalle Valle or another Nemeth.
If it wasn't for our horrendus financial situation over the years, Nemeth would still be here fighting with N'gog for minutes.
People still underrate Cristiano Ronaldo.

Offline MartinSkrtelsBasement

• Kopite
« Reply #313 on: March 29, 2011, 06:23:14 pm »
Kenny writing today about the need for flexibility in a player (bigging up Ashley Young as he did so). If Pacheco is perceived as not adaptable enough (yet) it may explain why he hasn't had a run-out. There again, the loan to Norwich may simply be to develop him further. Also, we start next season with a clean slate - if we bolster wisely we'll be able to introduce some of the fringe youngsters into cup games, with a strong, experienced framework around them.

Very possible. If you look at the others Kenny has given opertunities to, both Spearing and Kelly would put in a shift all over the park. Where as Pacheco, when played in wider positions, hasn't looked half the player.

We'll have to wait and see; but he's rightly popular and I would like to see him make it.
Pirlo is a silent leader. He speaks with his feet.
—Marcello Lippi

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #314 on: March 30, 2011, 12:28:25 am »
From the Nathan Eccleston thread.

Couldn't find a Pacheco thread so thought I'd ask in here: anyone know how Pacheco did at the weekend?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 12:30:11 am by ChaChaMooMoo »

Offline Ambrosia

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: March 30, 2011, 12:44:47 am »
Go on, elaborate. Assuming that Pacheco is tearing it up in training, and that the coaching staff agree with you that on his limited appearances he has looked first team quality, why would they send him out on loan?

It really isn't complicated, he needs first team football in order to progress and the management don't think he is good enough at the moment to get that football at Liverpool. By all means debate whether they have got that assessment of his current quality wrong, but don't go throwing round vague assertions that "there's something more to it" without being specific or providing any supporting evidence.
Don't get me wrong. I'm happy that he's being loaned out as he can look to develop as a player rather than stagnate on the Liverpool bench.

As for why he's being loaned out, as i said before don't have a clue. From the little facts and info we have available, there's not much to justify why he hasn't been given some more opportunities at Liverpool, while other kids have. It could be anything from the club now having a policy of promoting British kids over foreign players to disciplinary problems. Only the club know.

Danny Murphy top class?

I won't quote you, but should he ever become the player you think he will you're welcome to quote yourself back at me. Indeed, i hope you do.

Offline greenstien

• Bring out your stools.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do or do not, there is no try
« Reply #316 on: March 30, 2011, 08:55:23 am »

I agree so I just have.  See signature

Offline Lark

• Main Stander
« Reply #317 on: March 30, 2011, 09:14:33 am »
Things Pacheco has done of note would be...

- Debut vs. Fiorentina he hit a low, fizzing shot from outside the box which i think was tipped round the near post or hit the side netting.
- League debut vs. Wolves he came on and looked crisp in possession, playing over on the right.
- Against Unirea he played a knock down for Ngog to score late on, as you say.
- Against Man City he came on and was just about the only player that night to look calm in possession and keep the ball well, even if his cameo was extra brief.
- Against Trabzonspor away he came on as a sub and from the left, outside the box, he hit a stinging shot which could only be parried by the goalkeeper for Dirk to tap in.

Sure, he hasn't done a lot in a Liverpool shirt but then again for the vast amount of time he has been restricted to cameos. Those five cameos showed glimpses of what he can bring to the first team. The only time he's played the majority of a game was against Rabotnicki, Northampton and Steaua and he failed to make positive impressions on those matches; it could be he's more effective right now as a substitute (for 20-30 minutes instead of 5-10, that is).

I'm hoping he'll make a big impression for Norwich and then can come back to us next season, perhaps as understudy to Suarez.

I agree with you that he has shown that he can become a good player if he can take the leap. I agree that he had a hard time against Rabotnicki, Northampton and Steaua but he wasn't the only one. Still, in those three games I think he showed some great movement of the ball. I don't know why he isn't getting more time but it might just be that he at present is strugling with the pysicality of senior fotball.

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #318 on: April 2, 2011, 01:51:18 pm »
If he doesn't start today he should retire from football immediately because it will be definitive proof that he won't make it.

Thought I'd get in here early. ;)

Offline U13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: April 2, 2011, 02:10:52 pm »

I've been thinking this for a long time as well, I reckon Shelvey could go on to be a good player but I don't think he's ready for the first team now and don't understand why he's got so much game time.I think he tries too hard to impress when he's got the ball and in doing so loses possession too often.

On the Spanish influence thing I was quite taken back by the comments Carragher made about Hodgson when he said that it was a difficult job for him because there were a lot of Spanish lads in the squad, that can't have been received well by Reina or Pacheco.