Author Topic: Liverpool vs Manchester United, 17 January 2021, 4:30 PM  (Read 55273 times)

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
Re: Liverpool vs Manchester United, 17 January 2020, 4:30 PM
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2021, 05:20:12 pm »
Hate this game. I just want the 3 points. Don't want to see any silly early goals for them or penalties or one of ours getting sent off. If we play the same as we did against the other pretenders then that should be enough but feel we could be nervy going into this one.

Someone let me know on monday what happened.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2021, 05:22:49 pm »
When's the last United game that had so much riding on it?

It feels like a direliction of duty for us to have allowed this game to be so important.

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2021, 05:29:52 pm »
My two concerns are our form and set their plays, they have excellent takers and headers and we have a short line up

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2021, 05:31:54 pm »
Thanks for the opening post PIM......nice summary.

The first thing that is important is whether Matip starts or not. If he doesn’t then we’ll be weak defending set pieces and attacking our own corners.

I expect them to setup ultra defensively to prevent us over-running them.

I also expect them to be told to dive as much as possible and to get free kicks; if we don’t have Matip to defend then we could be in trouble. Their other tactic will be to hit us on the break so we’ll need to be wary of this.

I don’t like the idea of Henderson and Fabinho defending free kicks or corners. Pogba and Fernandes like to dive at every opportunity so I hope the referee sees through this.

Their wet dream will be to nick an early goal and then they’ll pack their defence and hope to nick a 2nd on the break. If we score first then they’ll have to come out and I really don’t think they’ll match our intensity.

Our midfield will need to get a grip of the game and be positive.....if Thiago plays then he’ll run the game. If they score first then I hope Shaqiri comes on (I don’t think he’ll start).

It’s going to be a tough game and it’s time to shake off our poor form. We need the referee to be firm and not fall for their dives otherwise we’ll just have to play them at their own game. I want Henderson to be constantly talking to the referee.

2-0 to us.
#JFT97

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2021, 05:34:38 pm »
Expecting to see:

Alisson

Alexander-Arnold
Fabinho
Henderson
Robertson

Thiago
Gini
Milner

Salah
Firmino
Mane

With us winning a very tight 2-1. Salah and a beautifully poetic Milner pen.

Looks about right. Klopp will want to limit our centre backs being caught 1v1 on counter so I can see us playing deep which will mean more onus on the front 3 to create and score. Can see this being tight with both teams scoring with there being a draw or a narrow win. Either way looking forward to seeing Thiago

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2021, 05:50:34 pm »
Looks about right. Klopp will want to limit our centre backs being caught 1v1 on counter so I can see us playing deep which will mean more onus on the front 3 to create and score. Can see this being tight with both teams scoring with there being a draw or a narrow win. Either way looking forward to seeing Thiago

If we sit deep and just rely on magic from the front three then we will struggle to score at all.

Offline Shite Name

• With a post history to match it.
  • Kopite
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2021, 05:50:58 pm »
I fully expect us to completely dominate them, they won’t show no ambition and set up not to get beat, we need to keep it on the ground and not just swing cross after cross into their area.

It’s just gonna be frustrating to see it being reffed by 2 different sets of rules, we’ll be penalised for everything and they’ll be allowed all those little fouls without getting booked to break up our play.

They ain’t top of the league because they are the best team in the league, they are there because the officials/VAR have made sure they are there because they are to shit to get there themselves.

Henderson needs to be on at the Ref all game, we can’t afford not the get all 3 points.

COME ON YOU FUCKING REDMEN YNWA. 

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2021, 05:53:54 pm »
Come on Redmen!!
Thanks for a wide ranging factual op PiM. Only two people to worry about individually in their line up in my mind - Cavani and Tierney.
Hearing rumours Matip is struggling to make it, really hope that isn’t the case.
This IS a must win game and I think we will as long as Tierney is not too blatantly visible.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Mr Benn please?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • 123456789 Benn
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2021, 06:07:28 pm »
If that is the match I am thinking of then that was a joke.

For me it was Mark Halsey in the 2-1 loss at Anfield. Shelby sent off for a 50/50 that Evans gave a worse tackle for, several penalty calls missed, a penalty for United for doing nothing; it was a farce.
Kenny's comeback game at OT when they won through Berbatov diving for a
penno was another sickner. There were also a couple of occasions where Valencia dives won them penalties. The offside  Ibrahimovic equaliser a couple of years ago. And the foul on Div in the build up to their goal at OT last season. They have had a fair few contentious decisions go their way in this fixture over the years.  Hopefully not on Sunday though, fingers crossed.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2021, 06:29:07 pm »
We know what to expect here, 10 men behind the ball and they will try and get us on the break which is more of an option this time around as we are not the quickest backline with our second string CD. Even so we have enough firepower to scare the crap out of them. We need to stretch them, let them run around chasing the ball and make sure we are deadly in front of goal. I would love to see Shaqiri start but I dont see that happening but with Gini-Hendo-Thiago in CM we will surely dominant the battlefield.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2021, 06:32:01 pm »
Whatever the result, hopefully it is not a game dominated by referees and VAR. That would be enough, anything else result-wise would be nice bonus.

Not sure we’re capable of doing it, but giving them the ball here and there and pouncing on them would not be the worst approach. Basically moving the press to a deeper position when they attack.

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2021, 06:38:32 pm »
The fact is, this is a must win for us. We've messed up against lower teams that we should have beat and that now means that against our rivals, we have to get 3 points, especially at home.

Time for mistakes is over. It's time to put a run together and put this lot back in their place!

Hopefully we'll see a midfield of Gini, Hendo & Thiago. If we do, I think we'll win convincingly. 
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2021, 06:38:33 pm »
They’ll be coming into this overconfident. If the officials don’t let their bias turn the game, we are going to twat these sistoh fingering c*nts

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2021, 06:44:26 pm »
When's the last United game that had so much riding on it?

It feels like a direliction of duty for us to have allowed this game to be so important.

In the league, probably not since 08-09.

I have a feeling we’ll create and finish a whole lot better than we have of late, and put this lot away comfortably. I’m looking forward to watching Maguire on the ball just outside their area as our front 3 cut down all his passing options.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2021, 06:44:34 pm »
Hate this game. I just want the 3 points. Don't want to see any silly early goals for them or penalties or one of ours getting sent off. If we play the same as we did against the other pretenders then that should be enough but feel we could be nervy going into this one.

Someone let me know on monday what happened.

I can never understand how people can say this about these games.  I fucking love these games.  I love everything about them.  The buildup, the game, giving my friends who support Utd shit when they lose.  It's fucking great

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2021, 06:45:48 pm »
I can never understand how people can say this about these games.  I fucking love these games.  I love everything about them.  The buildup, the game, giving my friends who support Utd shit when they lose.  It's fucking great

I hate it because it makes more anxious and nervous than any other game ever, leading up to it and during it, regardless of our form, their form, whatever the case may be.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2021, 06:47:38 pm »
Thanks for the OP, sets the scene nicely.

This is a massive game no two ways about it, as it’s actually rare we’re involved in top of the table clashes and that we both have teams good enough to challenge at the same time (although I’m still not convinced they ultimately will).

I’d stop short of calling it must win as it’s too early in the season for talk like that. However a defeat definitely puts us on the back foot and needing to find out form quickly and get re-energised.

I do think even with our defensive problems we have the Better team, Matip being fit would be massive here, but we can still win with Williams or Phillips so long as we’re clinical at the other end of the pitch.

It’ll be right and nervy as it always is but as long as there’s no unnecessary help from the officials we win this by the odd goal.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2021, 06:51:13 pm »
Just get the three points. We can't afford any more draws let alone losses. We really need to step it up a few gears though as we've been absolute rubbish as of late. Even the first half against Villa's kids was atrocious.

I'm thinking that this game will be a statement. Either the one where we lay down a marker and say to the rest of the league that we're not going away any time fast and are still pribably favourites for the title along with City, or that we're just nowhere near as good as we've been the last two seasons and are about as likely to finish 5th as we are 1st.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2021, 06:54:16 pm »
The game will NOT be on in our house.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2021, 06:57:23 pm »
Hopefully Joel is fit. If so I would like to see Hendo at 6 so we can play Thiago at 8, he can pick holes in their back line with his passing and they won’t get near him.

Online King_doggerel

• "What the fuck is a baldrick?"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2021, 07:01:04 pm »
If Matip is fit the fuck it, play him with Williams/Phillips

Henderson-Thiago-Fabinho is our best midfield. Push Thiago up to the #10 position

Offline nerdster4

• Anny Roader
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2021, 07:04:18 pm »
We need to win well I think. A 2-0 dominating possession and shots and in no way being a nervy win will clearly send a message to both manc clubs. Anything other than 3 points is inviting a top 4 chase .

Matip return important. Means we can start our first choice midfield . Will miss jota. Shaqiri coming on can again make a difference . Key game for trent, thiago and firmino

Offline kezzy

• Kopite
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2021, 07:04:19 pm »
I’m going for 6-2 to the mighty reds.   Thiago will take the piss in midfield and our forwards will find their shooting boots again.  Yernited will get two pens.  One will be a cross that hits Fabinho on the back of the head and that c*nt Tierney will point to the spot and say VAR has already reviewed it within 3 seconds and the other one will be someone will sneeze in the directors box and Penandes will throw himself on the floor like he’s been twatted by Mike Tyson and then do 50 roll overs from the centre circle to the penalty box and Tierney will again point to the spot saying he’s reviewed it on the monitor and there was defo contact from a stray piece of snot that looked like it came from a Liverpool director.  Defo pen.

Anyway we’ll still twat them with goals from Salah 2, Mane 2, Bobby and Wijnaldum.   Come on the redmen. 

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2021, 07:05:14 pm »
If Matip can't play then hope we put Shaqiri in midfield.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2021, 07:10:02 pm »
If Matip can't play then hope we put Shaqiri in midfield.

If Matip can't play, it's furthermore a reason not to put Shaqiri in midfield.

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2021, 07:14:59 pm »
I’m going for 6-2 to the mighty reds.   Thiago will take the piss in midfield and our forwards will find their shooting boots again.  Yernited will get two pens.  One will be a cross that hits Fabinho on the back of the head and that c*nt Tierney will point to the spot and say VAR has already reviewed it within 3 seconds and the other one will be someone will sneeze in the directors box and Penandes will throw himself on the floor like he’s been twatted by Mike Tyson and then do 50 roll overs from the centre circle to the penalty box and Tierney will again point to the spot saying he’s reviewed it on the monitor and there was defo contact from a stray piece of snot that looked like it came from a Liverpool director.  Defo pen.

Anyway we’ll still twat them with goals from Salah 2, Mane 2, Bobby and Wijnaldum.   Come on the redmen.

Jeebus  :o how weird can you get? EXACTLERLY what I've been thinking!

Agreed - 6-2.  :scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2021, 07:15:32 pm »
If Matip can't play, it's furthermore a reason not to put Shaqiri in midfield.

I dont agree. If Matip doesnt play then its more likely that Trent will be deeper as to protect that channel next to Williams, Phillips or Henderson. That will have a knock on effect to our attack and we may very well need more creativity in midfield to compensate.

Offline ConqueredAllOfEurope

• Shit, just realised I can have a custom title...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2021, 07:15:35 pm »
I would love to see a midfield 3 of Hendo, Thiago and Gini but I guess that depends if Matip is fit. If he's not, I fully expect Hendo to go CB and Milner to go into midfield.

It's going to be another game where we will dominate the possession. Our final pass has been lacklustre these past few games and that will have to change for this game otherwise we will have another frustrating evening. We should have decent options off the bench with the likes of Shaq and Ox being able to make a difference if things aren't going our way.

Utd will obviously look to get us on the counter, so we need to be sharp and concentrated throughout the game and be ready positionally as we don't have much pace with our CBs. On paper, our front three should ruin their defence, especially the likes of Shaw, Bailly and Maguire. All are rash and prone to silly errors. Need to capitalise on this.

I'm feeling strangely confident ahead of this, so I'm going to predict a 3-1 win to us.
"We have to change from doubter to believer... now"

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2021, 07:16:05 pm »
They won't score.

The question is, will we?
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2021, 07:21:50 pm »
I sure hope Matip is back.

Offline Van Halen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2021, 07:32:04 pm »
Came into this thread a bit nervy, but seeing the imminent 6-2 result has me settled.

Wish we could keep the clean sheet, but subbing on Shaq at CB late to taunt them will be worth conceding a couple.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2021, 07:39:13 pm »
At set pieces we shut put Thiago up against Maguire. He will win most, and know how to 'behave' when fouled.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2021, 07:43:14 pm »
A part of me would love to see us play a diamond with Shaqiri as the 10 and Mane and Salah up front.

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2021, 07:43:58 pm »
Hope we don't play Hendo @CB we've already lost Fab from our MF, to lose our captain from his natural position would severely deplete both positions IMO.

Marshy-Al likely being out reduces the threat of pace from their attack, with Cavani providing more of an aerial threat.

For me Phillips/Williams partners Fab at CB on the assumption that Matip is out.
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2021, 07:44:59 pm »
I dont agree. If Matip doesnt play then its more likely that Trent will be deeper as to protect that channel next to Williams, Phillips or Henderson. That will have a knock on effect to our attack and we may very well need more creativity in midfield to compensate.

We will be open as it is to their counters. If Shaqiri plays without Matip, we'll be sliced open and then you'll be blaming Williams/Phillips for a blunder in the setup. Klopp will never do this anyway.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2021, 07:51:45 pm »
I think Klopp will trust Williams over Phillips if one of them needs to play

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2021, 07:56:42 pm »
I hate it because it makes more anxious and nervous than any other game ever, leading up to it and during it, regardless of our form, their form, whatever the case may be.

What he said.

I'm a bit of a shitter at the best of times but united has too much riding on it for me. Brothers, sisters, Brothers in law, nephews - a whole bunch of manc loving family I have to deal with. I'm pretty sure  that is a big part of the reason I hate united so much. For me - when we beat them its momentary joy followed by relief. If we lose I will just be filled with hatred.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2021, 07:58:25 pm »
At set pieces we shut put Thiago up against Maguire. He will win most, and know how to 'behave' when fouled.

Be serious
#JFT97

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2021, 07:59:05 pm »
What he said.

I'm a bit of a shitter at the best of times but united has too much riding on it for me. Brothers, sisters, Brothers in law, nephews - a whole bunch of manc loving family I have to deal with. I'm pretty sure  that is a big part of the reason I hate united so much. For me - when we beat them its momentary joy followed by relief. If we lose I will just be filled with hatred.
Don't worry mate. That's what it's like for the rest of us too.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
NAKED BOOBERY