Author Topic: England International Dominic Solanke  (Read 271698 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Dominic Solanke
« Reply #960 on: September 19, 2017, 09:54:23 pm »
The one positive from tonight's game, lad has it all and was still sprinting in the 94th.

He wasnt good today.

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #961 on: September 19, 2017, 09:55:24 pm »
He wasnt good today.

There were others who were alot worse.
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #962 on: September 19, 2017, 09:56:35 pm »
There were others who were alot worse.

Indeed. Doesnt make Solanke’s performance good.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #963 on: September 19, 2017, 09:56:55 pm »
He wasnt good today.
I thought he was, surrounded by better players I reckon he'd have more chances and put them away, really suffered when Phil went off as did the rest of the squad.
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #964 on: September 19, 2017, 09:58:49 pm »
I thought he was, surrounded by better players I reckon he'd have more chances and put them away, really suffered when Phil went off as did the rest of the squad.

There were a few Robertson crosses that he needs to be in position for and scoring. He also needs to be more of a threat in behind and work the centrebacks. All his good play was little touches and 1-2’s in front of the Leicester defnece, which isnt hurting anyone.

He wasnt aeverage and was involved but to me he looked more of a foil for another striker than a dangerous front man.

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #965 on: September 19, 2017, 10:03:04 pm »
Wasn't his best game but I do like the cut of his gib. He looks like a proper striker to me. Give him a few years, Klopp obv sees something too or he wouldn't have binned Origi so quick.
Football is a lie

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #966 on: September 19, 2017, 10:08:11 pm »
Desperately unlucky not to score in the last two games, however issues are the same as with Origi and Sturridge. These no.9s are simply not at their full capacity unless they have a partner upfront. None of them apart from Firmino can quite lead the line in a proper way and don't get nearly enough chances to score simply because they miss somebody close to them to drag defenders away and create space for them.

They're too isolated at times as people don't get close enough to support them. It always reminds of games where we've seen Sturridge and Origi upfront together and almost always they were both good in those games.

With all the games we've seen under Klopp these out-and-out no.9s struggle in a 433 to play their best football, they either need a no.10 behind them or a strike partner.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #967 on: September 19, 2017, 10:08:56 pm »
Needs to be a bit more clinical. But the raw tools are all there.

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #968 on: September 20, 2017, 12:47:49 am »
That was his first start in English football for a first team, at 20 years old. Can't expect too much from his at this stage, he done alright considering.

Offline joekim87

• Truly gone shark fishing.....
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #969 on: September 20, 2017, 06:34:53 am »
Looked okay but didn't do his main job well... score goals. Had good chances to. If one or two of his chances went in or were at least on target for someone to score the rebound, would we have won?

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #970 on: September 20, 2017, 08:51:34 am »
A 20 year old settling into a new team and a new system.  For me he did well, just need to see a little more from his end product.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of Ł22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #971 on: September 20, 2017, 08:54:57 am »
rough edges, but overall was pleased with what I saw...if he comes into a confident, winning side I'm convinced he'd slot those chances rather then snatching at them...I think all the squad are feeling the pressure to score at the moment so its no surprise that he's feeling it too
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #972 on: September 20, 2017, 09:03:04 am »
I'd have been more worried if he wasn't getting into positions to miss chances.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #973 on: September 20, 2017, 09:23:28 am »
Odd how different people see things because I thought he was class. Probably don't get this as much on TV but his movement was excellent.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #974 on: September 20, 2017, 09:30:45 am »
That was his first start in English football for a first team, at 20 years old.

Let's all keep this in mind please.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #975 on: September 20, 2017, 09:42:56 am »
I'd have been more worried if he wasn't getting into positions to miss chances.

Said to myself he was more or less always in the right place. If he could get some games under his belt then I think he could really push for a place, but no idea where they are coming from!

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #976 on: September 20, 2017, 10:36:21 am »
I think he was getting in the positions, which is positive, just his touch seemed off to me.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #977 on: September 20, 2017, 12:20:17 pm »
No doubt that this boy will turn good at some point. Will it be for us? I hope so. He needs to play and being out of this cup limits his chances even more.
But I'm excited for what he can become in the future.

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #978 on: September 20, 2017, 12:23:15 pm »
Said to myself he was more or less always in the right place. If he could get some games under his belt then I think he could really push for a place, but no idea where they are coming from!

He looks good. There is some talent there and once he settles into the team and system, I am sure he will just explode onto the scene. Hope he gets more games.

Offline poopscoop

• Kopite
  • And what a delighted scorer – it's Tommy Smith!
« Reply #979 on: September 20, 2017, 01:17:50 pm »
Had a good game last night, I thought, showed good promise. As did Woodburn when he dropped deeper.

Offline Kansti

• Legacy Fan
  • Stargazer
« Reply #980 on: September 20, 2017, 05:09:47 pm »
Odd how different people see things because I thought he was class. Probably don't get this as much on TV but his movement was excellent.

Was his movement as good as Borini's though?

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #981 on: September 20, 2017, 05:16:42 pm »
Was his movement as good as Borini's though?

Borini's movement only ever stood out to some because of the contrast to how he looked with the ball at his feet!

Offline Wilbury

• Boys Pen
« Reply #982 on: September 20, 2017, 10:48:30 pm »
Just hope he gets the game time to develop with us, one of the reasons I have always prefered the old 442 was was because you had 2 main forwards, and 2 who could be rotated (in theory). Not sure our system allows us to distribute game time amongst 4 strikers so some have to move wide where their skills may not be as effective. I really like the look of him but wonder if it may have been more beneficial to go on loan and get a full season under his belt at a good level which he clearly looks capable of.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #983 on: September 20, 2017, 10:51:18 pm »
Just hope he gets the game time to develop with us, one of the reasons I have always prefered the old 442 was was because you had 2 main forwards, and 2 who could be rotated (in theory). Not sure our system allows us to distribute game time amongst 4 strikers so some have to move wide where their skills may not be as effective. I really like the look of him but wonder if it may have been more beneficial to go on loan and get a full season under his belt at a good level which he clearly looks capable of.

I suspect - if his &/or Origi's careers progress as we hope they do, and with Keita coming in as a perfect 8 for Klopp's system, we will see a return to something similar to the 4-2-3-1 shape of Dortmund at times with Firmino behind Solanke. Firmino was prolific in the role behind Modeste at Hoffenheim. It's a balancing act though. Salah & Mane benefit from the space having a false 9 provides and gives them far better positions and chances.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline Wilbury

• Boys Pen
« Reply #984 on: September 20, 2017, 11:10:01 pm »
I suspect - if his &/or Origi's careers progress as we hope they do, and with Keita coming in as a perfect 8 for Klopp's system, we will see a return to something similar to the 4-2-3-1 shape of Dortmund at times with Firmino behind Solanke. Firmino was prolific in the role behind Modeste at Hoffenheim. It's a balancing act though. Salah & Mane benefit from the space having a false 9 provides and gives them far better positions and chances.

Mane and Salah do seem to be the main men for so far in terms of where we expect goals to come from. Interesting though because in some ways It makes me wonder if good quality strikers are more abundant than wingers and the ability to have suitable alternatives. If our system is focused on getting goals from wide positions and we lose one the drop down is from a Mane to like a Kent or Markovich if you like.The drop from Firmino is to Sturride or Solanke, does seem to be an imbalance for vital positions in this system. Maybe a change may be on the cards in the future, would sort of make sense unless we moved strikers on and bought wingers. Although I confess to knowing fuck all about tactics, just what I think I see.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #985 on: September 21, 2017, 12:46:25 am »

He was quite good. Ultimately whether he's gonna make it here will come down to end product. If he'd directed his shot a couple of inches under the bar on Saturday and reacted slightly quicker on Tuesday he'd now be the most hyped up young player in England. That's how fine the margins are.
Have a good feeling about him personally but time will tell.

Offline RedGreen

• Main Stander
  • Cautiously Klopptimistic - Resistance is Futile
« Reply #986 on: September 21, 2017, 02:18:10 am »

Just posted this in the pre-match Leicester thread, but the lad might be more comfortable playing on the left, where he was very effective (tournament top scorer!) for the England U20 World Cup-winning team, so maybe he can be one of the solutions while Mane is suspended / unavailable? Surely worth a try given our current predicament.... :wave
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #987 on: September 23, 2017, 01:47:17 pm »
Just posted this in the pre-match Leicester thread, but the lad might be more comfortable playing on the left, where he was very effective (tournament top scorer!) for the England U20 World Cup-winning team, so maybe he can be one of the solutions while Mane is suspended / unavailable? Surely worth a try given our current predicament.... :wave
I'm pretty sure he started central every game as a false #10, a lot like how Alli plays for Spurs. Lookman started on the left. There was some movement where he ended up on the left to create attacking overloads or pull defenders around, but I don't think he started a game on the left.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/DExjmgewKmc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/DExjmgewKmc</a>
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 01:50:03 pm by BabuYagu »

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #988 on: September 23, 2017, 02:01:34 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3f_X3ydflzE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3f_X3ydflzE</a>

Found another for the final.

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #989 on: October 1, 2017, 06:34:51 pm »
I thinks it's time for Sturridge to step aside and give this guy a chance!

Played well when he came on got himself about....

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #990 on: October 1, 2017, 06:37:45 pm »
Our best attacker today after Coutinho.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #991 on: October 1, 2017, 06:38:50 pm »
I like his desire to make stuff happen, one of the few who seemed to realise we needed a goal. The rest played like a 1-1 secured us the title.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #992 on: October 1, 2017, 06:47:45 pm »
I like this lad. Plenty of hunger, puts himself about, can hold it up, run in behind and is great in the air. Hopefully the goals start coming. Good signing.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #993 on: October 1, 2017, 07:38:57 pm »
The only positive thing about this season so far
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #994 on: October 1, 2017, 07:48:46 pm »
The only positive thing about this season so far

Coutinho staying wasn't the worst thing to happen to us.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #995 on: October 1, 2017, 07:49:57 pm »
He does his best work outside the box. Not sure he is a massive goal threat.

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #996 on: October 1, 2017, 08:45:44 pm »
Did well today.
Justice for the 96!

Online BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #997 on: October 1, 2017, 08:52:43 pm »
Did well today.
Agree, hard coming into a side with low confidence but he did well.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #998 on: October 1, 2017, 09:40:20 pm »
He deserves to start all games that Firmino doesn't. Ahead of Sturridge on current form.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #999 on: October 1, 2017, 09:41:11 pm »
He deserves to start all games that Firmino doesn't. Ahead of Sturridge on current form.

Based on the form of those other two I’d say he definitely deserves a start in the CL after United
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.