Author Topic: England International Dominic Solanke  (Read 271781 times)

Offline Oberyn_Martell

• Desperate for it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Dominic Solanke
« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2017, 07:12:42 pm »
Watched a Youtube vid of him cos why not.
Reminds me of Costa a teensy bit. Or maybe a lotta bit.
Mods can you change my name to Melissa x

Online Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2017, 07:16:56 pm »
Michael Beale:

"Liverpool are signing a top player & huge talent. Known him since 6yrs old & he is a great kid. He has the right manager to fulfil potential"

That's a pretty strong seal of approval.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Adams83

• Main Stander
« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2017, 07:30:16 pm »
It's quite underwhelming really when our rivals are spunking money on world class players but he's cheap as chips so it's a no brainer I suppose. If he has some kind of impact in our cup games or who knows, maybe even scores a few in the league then we could quadruple our money, or more, on him later. But seeing as that he's 19 and couldn't even get a game for Chelsea, I hope we're not signing him with the expectation that he can come in and have a real impact on the team right away.

Welcome nonetheless.

What a strange post :o

For a start the season has only ended and hardly any transfers have been announced yet. You're also talking about selling him for a profit already without having seen him play. It has been reported he has been frozen out because of him refusing to sign a contract. Anyway, a 19 year old not getting into the Chelsea team that just won the league doesn't means he isn't talented. Of course he isn't expected to go straight into the first team.

I have no idea how good he is and if he'll make it but it is a very low risk transfer. No need to over think it.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2017, 07:33:32 pm »
Well according to our blue brethren over on GOT. Calvert-Lewin is better and Tammy Abrahams carried Solanke in the Chelsea youth team set-up. ::) Wonder what their opinion would have been of him had he signed for them? :D
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2017, 07:37:03 pm »
Well according to our blue brethren over on GOT. Calvert-Lewin is better and Tammy Abrahams carried Solanke in the Chelsea youth team set-up. ::) Wonder what their opinion would have been of him had he signed for them? :D
firstly the average football fan probably has no idea just how good he is, unless you watch alot of Chelsea's unders or Vitesse last season. Secondly who cares what some snivelling blueshite thinks about our new signing. Chances are whether he's great or average he will score past them at some point.
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2017, 07:37:49 pm »
I guess this is a "watch this space" kind of signing.

Would be great to have a really good player that Chelsea let slip away.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2017, 07:38:38 pm »

Sturridge is an obvious one as well.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2017, 07:39:26 pm »
Welcome.

Some incredible beauts in our support panicking as we haven't spent our entire budget yet and writing him off before he's even kicked a ball. They'll never learn.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2017, 07:42:50 pm »
Michael Beale:

"Liverpool are signing a top player & huge talent. Known him since 6yrs old & he is a great kid. He has the right manager to fulfil potential"

All day, Michael
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2017, 07:48:59 pm »
Happy about this. That generation of Chelsea players has long been touted to go on and achieve great things. 3 million is a small punt to make and money which we will most likely get back if he fails here. I know I should know better than to judge on youtube videos, but he looks to have very good awareness and finishing for his age. Usually these are not things a player can learn easily so I'm glad we snapped him up. He's also English, which is always a plus for the home grown regulations.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2017, 07:54:55 pm »
Welcome fella.

As to where he will stand in the present group of strikers well there is a lot yet to be decided.
We have Bobby, Divock, and the two Danny's right now ... So basically we have Bobby and Divock as reasonable bets to start the season fit and ready. I don't know what is going to happen but despite there being nominally 4 strikers in front of him it could be argued that he is the most natural fit for an attacking, straight down the middle number 9 we presently have (Sturridge apart). So he may well be closer to first team minutes than you would think for a 2-3 million, 19 yr old Plastics cast off. His skill set might come in very handy.

For what it's worth I don't expect us to start next season as we stand right now.

Lovely article  by Paul Tompkins too.

As I said, welcome fella. Hope it works out for him here.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2017, 08:30:11 pm »
His performance against Argentina at the U-20 World Cup the other week. I watched the game because of our kids on the team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0-3mj8efZI

Tomorrow, England are playing Costa Rica in the knock out stages, at noon.

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: May 30, 2017, 08:37:24 pm »
What's not to like about this? Plenty of potential upside, and a highly rated youngster, being brought in as a supplement to the first team (probably mainly for cup games to start). At £3m it doesn't eat into our budget and we'd easily make our money back even if he's a total bust. Low wages too. Worst case scenario it's actually just smart business, best case scenario we've nicked another promising teenager for peanuts.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: May 30, 2017, 08:40:58 pm »
For £3 million for a highly rated youngster that is pretty good business.

We should do more deals like this from both the plastic clubs ,they will get no chance of playing in the 1st team at that those clubs,we got a real gem in Rhian Brewster from Chelsea as well.

Welcome to LFC.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline draids

• Main Stander
« Reply #94 on: May 30, 2017, 08:43:43 pm »
Saw him playing for Chelsea u23s against us a couple of years ago at Aldershot, think Chelsea won 4-3 in the end with Solanke getting a hattrick. Looked a very natural finisher paired with great movement in the box. There were some good players on show that day, Ojo had just come back from a loan spell, Brannagan was sniffing around the first team, a very impressive cameo from Harry Wilson and the Chelsea team who i think won the u23 league that season was full of talented youngsters but it was Solanke who stood out. Me and my mates all agreed he would be a great understudy to Costa in a season or 2 for them and I thought he had a great chancing of making it at Chelsea even with their record of bringing through youth. If Ings is to go out on loan I'm confident this lad could do a job for us as a 4th choice striker in some cup games an hopefully kick on from there.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #95 on: May 30, 2017, 08:51:55 pm »
Can anyone answer  me  this, would Klopp have met this lad prior to the signing?

Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #96 on: May 30, 2017, 08:54:27 pm »
It's quite underwhelming really when our rivals are spunking money on world class players but he's cheap as chips so it's a no brainer I suppose. If he has some kind of impact in our cup games or who knows, maybe even scores a few in the league then we could quadruple our money, or more, on him later. But seeing as that he's 19 and couldn't even get a game for Chelsea, I hope we're not signing him with the expectation that he can come in and have a real impact on the team right away.

Welcome nonetheless.

He is 19 FFS and its May 30th, get a grip man!

Nonetheless.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: May 30, 2017, 09:01:59 pm »
Isn't he the patient that went missing on Shutter Island?

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #98 on: May 30, 2017, 09:23:54 pm »
Isn't he the patient that went missing on Shutter Island?

Cannot say as it would ruin it for those who have not seen it.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: May 30, 2017, 09:36:23 pm »
Like this signing. Low risk with potential high returns. Saw him in all 3 games at the U20 World Cup. Nothing earth shattering but clearly even with Calvert-Lewin and Lookman in the team, Solanke was central to England attack and everyting seems to be going through him.

Not a bad idea to look at picking up some of the better unwanted youths at Chelsea and City on the cheap. They truly have some gems there. They just dont have the patience to go with them
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #100 on: May 30, 2017, 09:37:00 pm »
Can anyone answer  me  this, would Klopp have met this lad prior to the signing?

What ?

Offline stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: May 30, 2017, 09:52:38 pm »
Like this signing. Low risk with potential high returns. Saw him in all 3 games at the U20 World Cup. Nothing earth shattering but clearly even with Calvert-Lewin and Lookman in the team, Solanke was central to England attack and everyting seems to be going through him.

Not a bad idea to look at picking up some of the better unwanted youths at Chelsea and City on the cheap. They truly have some gems there. They just dont have the patience to go with them

The plastics clearly think they don't need him, which is understandable but we may have signed an exiting young talent for fuck all money, so I'm with you all the way on this.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: May 30, 2017, 10:05:47 pm »
The plastics clearly think they don't need him, which is understandable but we may have signed an exiting young talent for fuck all money, so I'm with you all the way on this.

Well, they did offer him a new contract, but it seems that he wasn't particularly interested in going out on loan again, so he decided to join us instead. I suspect that this will be the case with many more young players who are actually interested in developing their game and making a career for themselves at the top level. Klopp's reputation of actually giving young players a chance and developing them is starting to work in our favor.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #103 on: May 30, 2017, 10:06:38 pm »
As much as I might be viewed as a "beaut" or whatever the in-phrase is on rawk these days for not being terribly excited about this signing (should I have pissed my pants from excitement when we signed Pacheco? Or Samed Yesil?), I haven't criticized it OR said that we shouldn't have made it either. it will be some of the same super-fans on here who will be crying come January-February when the side is shattered as to why we didn't sign any quality back-up or replacements or players who could instantly come in and improve the side. Yeah, I know. It's only May 30th you say. But from what is being reported so far, all of our rivals are in for the same players that we want as well. Which means we don't stand a hope in hell of signing any one of our 1st choices should they want them.

City have just signed a world-class £43 million player. Supposedly we have the funds to be signing players of that price range as well. Excuse me for not being that optimistic, especially when it was OUR own manager who said that our deals would be wrapped up quite quickly this summer. All I said was that it was a low-risk signing that may or may not turn out and that it felt a bit underwhelming given that our first signing of the summer won't even play more than a few games the entire season. And then come out the super fans as usual as if we'd signed Lionel Messi himself.  ::)

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 10:08:09 pm by Caligula? »

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #104 on: May 30, 2017, 10:09:07 pm »
Welcome Dominic

Welcome.

Some incredible beauts in our support panicking as we haven't spent our entire budget yet and writing him off before he's even kicked a ball. They'll never learn.

Absolutely. They need their heads checked. Some of the comments on Twitter are a fucking disgrace from people who have probably never watched him before and want a 'name'.  A transfer for one of England's brighter prospect that might end up being £3m tops. This is a bargain. Unless he comes from the Ravel Morrison School of Professionalism, even if he flops, we'd probably make double our money, considering how much clubs in the Championship spend on forwards nowadays. This is a low risk, high reward signing. The type of signing that ironically, those moaning about Solanke, would be complaining about if he ended up at Southampton and we were looking to pay £30m for him two years from now. If you want to get your Keitas or Van Dijk's before they cost big amounts, then these are the type of gambles you have to take and get them before they make that potential leap.

He turned down a contract extension at Chelsea by most accounts, because he wants playing time. He'll clearly get more opportunities here than he would at Chelsea. There's no way, we can not rotate next season. And we all saw with injuries, once Sturridge, Mane and Ings were out for lengthy spells, we ended up with the likes of Woodburn on the bench. Most clubs don't use fourth-choice forwards now anyway. They are generally a waste of money, unless they are on a free, due to limited playing time. Instead, you're going to have either players who can play in multiple positions filling in a pinch, or young players like Solanke, who will spend a fair bit of time in the reserves.

I think what Klopp is going for here is a slight return to the Liverpool model of yesteryear by having a strong reserve side with players who can be slowly blooded in and brought in here and there. With Solanke, Brewster, Woodburn, Gruijic, Alexander-Arnold, Ojo and Ejaria, we have a really good bunch. There's plenty of young players Chelsea have bought in the past few years that have failed to make the grade there, that were laughably let go in hindsight (Matic, Lukaku, Sturridge, De Bruyne etc). Hopefully, he follows in their path.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: May 30, 2017, 10:10:16 pm »
As much as I might be viewed as a "beaut" or whatever the in-phrase is on rawk these days for not being terribly excited about this signing (should I have pissed my pants from excitement when we signed Pacheco? Or Samed Yesil?), I haven't criticized it OR said that we shouldn't have made it either. it will be some of the same super-fans on here who will be crying come January-February when the side is shattered as to why we didn't sign any quality back-up or replacements or players who could instantly come in and improve the side. Yeah, I know. It's only May 30th you say. But from what is being reported so far, all of our rivals are in for the same players that we want as well. Which means we don't stand a hope in hell of signing any one of our 1st choices should they want them.

City have just signed a world-class £43 million player. Supposedly we have the funds to be signing players of that price range as well. Excuse me for not being that optimistic, especially when it was OUR own manager who said that our deals would be wrapped up quite quickly this summer. All I said was that it was a low-risk signing that may or may not turn out and that it felt a bit underwhelming given that our first signing of the summer won't even play more than a few more games the entire season. And then come out the usual super fans as usual as if we'd signed Lionel Messi himself.  ::)

You were being a snobby brat and got moaned at for that reason not because those people were "super fans". Klopp said the best case scenario is having signings done for pre season, every single manager on earth wants that and every single manager also concedes it doesn't often happen. Get over it.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #106 on: May 30, 2017, 10:13:26 pm »
any chance of keeping the dopeyarsed transfer squabbles in the transfer section where they can be safely ignored?.....cheers
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: May 30, 2017, 10:28:54 pm »
City have just signed a world-class £43 million player.

No, they haven't. They have signed a talented young player who might, or might not become a top class player. And as usual, they have overpaid severely. By the way, I have already reminded you about the story of Man Utd signing Nani and Anderson in late May 2007 for big money, and the subsequent meltdown at these boards in the following days.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: May 30, 2017, 10:29:11 pm »

Lets just wait and see, we've got a few months yet and just because the media are saying something, doesn't mean they're right.

City have just signed a world-class £43 million player. Supposedly we have the funds to be signing players of that price range as well. Excuse me for not being that optimistic, especially when it was OUR own manager who said that our deals would be wrapped up quite quickly this summer. All I said was that it was a low-risk signing that may or may not turn out and that it felt a bit underwhelming given that our first signing of the summer won't even play more than a few games the entire season. And then come out the super fans as usual as if we'd signed Lionel Messi himself.  ::)

The season has barely just ended, I'm pretty sure "quite quickly this summer" doesn't have to mean "within a fortnight of the season ending". They'll be working hard to get new players in, we just need to be patient.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: May 30, 2017, 10:57:05 pm »
His performance against Argentina at the U-20 World Cup the other week. I watched the game because of our kids on the team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0-3mj8efZI

Tomorrow, England are playing Costa Rica in the knock out stages, at noon.

Classy penalty. Can see he trained with Hazard

Small point, but when he plays it'll be nice to have an attacker or wideman who the keeper knows he can always try and hit, while our striker can get moving and leave their defenders uncertain. Be the first time since Kuyt's days, with Torres, at least from memory

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #110 on: May 30, 2017, 11:01:54 pm »
Can the naysayers kindly fuck off to the relevant threads (transfer speculation, fsg, sucking each others dicks with how fucking clever they are at spotting foreign talent) and leave this one to welcoming a young, talented lad, with ambition of making our first team in the next couple of years. Welcome, Dominic, Michael Beale thinks your boss and that's good enough for me!
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: May 30, 2017, 11:12:56 pm »
Its a punt. Could go either way. Most of these signings don't make it to the big time but if you get one right it saves you a minimum of 30million in the current crazy climate of football. 
Just looking at the clips he has great athleticism and good technique.  The big one for strikers is can they develop end product at the top level. And that's the thing no one genuinely knows.

Offline richmiller1

• No! We will not let you go, let him go!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: May 30, 2017, 11:29:30 pm »
Basically a no lose scenario for us. Either he goes on to be ace, in which case we win, or he fails to make the grade and we ship him off in a couple of years for £5m+ thanks to the 'english premium'.

This has absolutely no bearing on how good he is or may turn out to be, but there is something very pre peak Van Persie-ish about his stature and the way he carries himself around the pitch and shifts the ball. Not seen anything to suggest he has the streak of mercurial brilliance that elevated Van Perdue sadly but his scoring record a couple of years back was pretty epic so you never know.

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: May 30, 2017, 11:30:51 pm »
Good luck to the young lad.  Good low risk signing for me.  He's obviously not our main attacking signing so don't see the panic in that regard.  Hopefully he does the business in the youth team and can step up and fill in for the first team if need be. 

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #114 on: May 31, 2017, 12:02:41 am »

Can't say I've heard of him before, though I do remember a young striker coming on at Chelsea when we beat them under Mourinho. Tompkins might have gotten carried away with the whole "For £3m, it could be one of the steals of the century", I'd be happy if we look back in a few years time and consider it to be the steal of this transfer window.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: May 31, 2017, 12:30:04 am »
I've seen him play probably four to five times so I'm not an expert but he has jumped out at me when I've seen him. Not unlike Sterling and Pogba did but remember that doesn't guarantee he'll be a star either. I thought the same about Ilori, Fischer from Ajax and the bald striker for Sporting during the Next Gen tournament a few years ago.

One thing that has stood out is that I saw this guy improve. At 17 y.o he was a really promising player but a little selfish and skinny, lacking work rate, a year later after returning from a loan spell he had had definitely added to his game. He was more physical with brilliant vision always looking to set a teammate up. I think he's a smooth moving striker that times things really well not unlike Sturridge, I don't think we're buying him for his immediate impact but I do think he has the potential to be a really good player.

Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: May 31, 2017, 01:50:12 am »
Young, English, cheap, lots of potential, signed directly for the U-23s...don't see the downside in this. He scores a few 1st-team goals over the next couple of seasons and he'll be worth 3x his fee.

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #117 on: May 31, 2017, 02:01:54 am »

Whatever happened to Yesil

Offline heylookitsjacob

• 's Cream Crackers
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #118 on: May 31, 2017, 02:30:13 am »
snip

For what it's worth, my bone of contention was you implying that the idea he couldn't get a game at Chelsea is somehow indicative of his footballing ability. They know sweet fuck all was my point.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: May 31, 2017, 02:36:33 am »
Whatever happened to Yesil

Knee injuries hindered his progress.