Salah Nunez Diaz

Score: 3-1 LFC
First goal: Diaz
DP: 8
Media and Arts / Re: Music Association Game
« Last post by Saltashscouse on Today at 07:37:17 am »
This is how it feels - Inspiral Carpets
Feels like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
Don't remember right now how many players or managers left Portugal for any other big league, but the lets say success rate of players and even more managers leaving Netherlands isn't looking especially good.

Koeman, Bosz, De Boer, Cocu, ETH, Van Bronckhorst, all haven't done a particularly good job if I am not mistaken.

Generally it sounds good on paper, only that pressing part worries me a little bit. I think we've moved away from constant pressing thing and this is something we tried in Klopp's first years. Even looking health-wise, probably last thing our players need is another highly physically demanding season. And personally I've also hoped for refreshment and something new in that department.

But it also would be difficult to move to 3ATB with the squad we have. We'll see I guess.

What have they got to do with Slot other than being from the same country? It's not a relevant attribute of a person or coach. It would be like cherrypicking all the German coaches that have failed and saying Klopp must be a failure too.
This edit someone did at LFC Reddit. :D

https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/s/iDrDil0izi
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: The Title Race 2023/24- Jurgen's Last Dance
« Last post by Knight on Today at 07:35:30 am »
We rolled Chelsea over easily too. They’d just come off the back of a demoralising cup exit, which was all they had to play for for the rest of the season. Arsenal are good but this doesn’t mean a great deal. They literally just lost to Aston Villa - they could easily drop more points. It’s City I’m worried by, they’re machine like in this situations. Have been season after season.
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Last post by JRed on Today at 07:35:08 am »
Going with Arne Slot does stick to some key principles that are important when hiring a manager:

1. Hire someone with experience at the job in hand (battling relegation or managing in mid table is vastly different from competing for honours and at the top of the table, whilst in Europe).
2. Hire someone with recent success (historic performances count for much less as ability wains over time)
3. Hire someone based on club performance (international performance does not translate)
4. Consider personality (hiring someone who will alienate players or create a toxic dressing room can have long term detrimental effects)
5. Have weighting towards a positive playing style (players and supporters look more favourably on attacking sides)
6. Don’t consider a manager’s playing career, especially for former players or club legends as this is emotive and distorts opinion
7. Don’t hire an interim manager
8. Consider context (success at a leagues dominant club is less impressive than with an underdog, particularly when this matches the context of the hiring club)

In Arne Slot, there’s someone who recently won a domestic title with a financial and historic underdog with a positive playing and management style. He fits the bill, even if he’s not a big name. You’d prefer he’d done it in a higher rated league, but there’s a very small pool of managers who have, whilst fitting the other criteria too.

In the last 10 years how many ‘financial underdogs’ have won a league title. With that criteria you’re probably looking at a list of managers of Klopp, Raneiri, Simeone, Alonso, Galtier,  Jardim, Spalletti, Amorim, Van Bronkhorst, Slot.

Out of those realistic options, who fit within the criteria we’d set out probably only include Alonso, Amorim and Slot. Alonso has so few games as manager (less than our 175 games we use as a broad criteria when considering players), but his achievement is obviously special, so I do wonder how they analysed him, especially given, he’d only have been part of a season to this year when our analytics started.

Out of Slot and Amorim, Slot is in the higher rated league (6th vs 7th in UEFA coefficient), has the better European record and has the more compatible style. If people were excited by Amorim they should be excited by Slot.

Of course other managers could be considered but Slot absolutely seems a logical choice.
Thanks for that, good post.
Just can’t help feeling underwhelmed, I thought we would go for a proven manager to build on what Klopp has done. He will obviously be given a chance by the fans but the bit about doing it at a financially challenged club makes me worry that FSG want someone who is fine with not buying players to strengthen.
Oh, so there are other factors beyond whether you rate the manager that affect player transfers. Thank you.

We don't have billions btw   :D
General Football and Sport / Re: Arsenal: Top of the divers league
« Last post by decosabute on Today at 07:33:40 am »
Theirs to lose now. Would be another Liverpool miracle for us to end up a champions with the form that they and Man City are showing.

It's all about Sunday for Arsenal now. I think if they win that, they win the whole thing. Can't see United putting up any resistance when they go there.
After reading up on him and Feyenoord, I'm all for it. Apart from all the tactical, performance and style details, he seems like a manager who inspires his players to put everything into every game.

Some of the chat from our fans has been embarrassing really. Entitled bedwetting nonsense we usually associate with United or City fans. Maybe that was all projection.
Happens all the time at that age/level, it’s ruthless. Arsenal let Harry Kane go didn’t they as a child, I’m pretty sure he’s said he wasn’t getting minutes as an 8/9 year old. It’s horrible really what happens at the younger ages, you hear so many stories about players getting rejection at the younger ages, whether it’s being released or not getting the offer after a trial etc it’s cruel to do it to young children. I’ve no idea if much has changed since the likes of Gordon were kids, I imagine it has at least at Liverpool since Klopp took over. It would be interesting to hear why he was released as a 10/11 year old.

Yeah I don’t know much about it but given the potential cost of getting it wrong and how hard it is to know either way that early, I’d of thought you want to be very cautious about letting anyone go if you’ve decided they’re good enough to come in in the first place. It has to be ruthless eventually, the vast majority who play academy football obviously aren’t going to be professional footballers but it needn’t be ruthless at 8-14.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10