Author Topic: Restaurant Reviews for Liverpool. [Done by RAWKites]  (Read 596154 times)

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Restaurant Reviews for Liverpool. [Done by RAWKites]
« Reply #3120 on: March 8, 2018, 02:48:50 pm »
Went into the Courtyard (the old Penny Farthing) next to the Royal Court last night before seeing Wicked in the Empire. 4 of us in total. The restaurant upstairs does small plates almost tapas like but a more standard menu. Between us we had a dirty burger, garlic bread, goats cheese balls, chicken strippers, beer battered cauliflower, sweet potato fries, squid and mushrooms and it was more than enough. Bill including soft drinks came to £55 as well so all good

Would recommend before any trip to the theaters in town

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3121 on: March 8, 2018, 03:23:46 pm »
For those asking, Cafe Porto is great. I’m not a local but we stumbled across it the last time we were over and had a fantastic meal.

It’s a tiny little place, and the only staff were the owner and his mate in the kitchen, but it has those little quirks that makes a small restaurant great, eg they didn’t have the wine we ordered but he produced a bottle of some different stuff, saying “this is the same sort as you ordered, it’s just a bit better, but I’ll only charge the same price for it.” Can’t wait to go back and would really recommend it.
Sounds good, cheers for posting,  I do like owner managed places.
Got a booking here in a couple of weeks. Anything you'd recommend off the menu?

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #3122 on: March 9, 2018, 12:47:51 pm »
Went to that Chicha on Bold Street the other day before Porto, three small plates of Peruvian street food for £11 between 12 and 6pm I think it is, was decent I thought but nothing too spectacular. The cocktails were fabulous though. They’re doing 50% off food for Independent Liverpool cardholders throughout March but it’s only on certain dishes.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3123 on: March 9, 2018, 01:03:36 pm »
Just seen that Crust in Woolton Village looks like its opening soon, its the old HSBC bank and was supposed to open in November. Been the one in Bold Street which I though was OK but nothing particularly memorable. The old English Rose pub is opening soon (Cookhouse or something like that), the Loft Wine Bar has been taken over by the Elif people and apparently is being done up in the summer.

The choice of food in Woolton Village is amazing to what it was like years ago.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #3124 on: March 9, 2018, 03:04:10 pm »
Taco bell coming to Bold Street at the end of the month

Oh and a Cat Cafe next door to it as well

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3125 on: March 9, 2018, 06:45:07 pm »
Not a restaurant but just grabbed a takeaway from the Heritage fish & chip shop..yep on Gt Howard st by where the Heritage market was at the Stanley dock.

I will be blunt here..fucking unbelievable fish & chips,wasn't expecting the quality so high when i was asked for £12.00.
When i say £12..pretty expensive eh..not in the slightest coz it was twelve nicker for four meals.
4x fish & chips..fucking hell.
Granted we were lucky enough to get them 1/2 price as i believe there is a daily deal for fish & chips for £3 between 4-7pm.

Fucking get down there,you won't be disappointed
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #3126 on: March 10, 2018, 01:23:52 am »
Sounds good, cheers for posting,  I do like owner managed places.
Got a booking here in a couple of weeks. Anything you'd recommend off the menu?

Do a selection of the tapas. The sausages in red wine were amazing. Would also recommend the bolinhos de bacalhau and the Almondegas. Just make sure you have some vinho verde to wash it all down.
DAMMIT!

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3127 on: March 10, 2018, 08:21:02 am »
Not a restaurant but just grabbed a takeaway from the Heritage fish & chip shop..yep on Gt Howard st by where the Heritage market was at the Stanley dock.

I will be blunt here..fucking unbelievable fish & chips,wasn't expecting the quality so high when i was asked for £12.00.
When i say £12..pretty expensive eh..not in the slightest coz it was twelve nicker for four meals.
4x fish & chips..fucking hell.
Granted we were lucky enough to get them 1/2 price as i believe there is a daily deal for fish & chips for £3 between 4-7pm.

Fucking get down there,you won't be disappointed

I used to work just down the road from there.

Only went in once, couple of months after it opened, as the chips and gravy I bought had a bonus feature of an 8 inch long hair, all nicely mixed in and matted with the gravy.

Still do a little sick in me mouth every time I drive past the place.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3128 on: March 10, 2018, 08:23:31 am »
Get to byrnes on Stuart rd if you want a good chippy

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3129 on: March 10, 2018, 10:48:29 am »
Just go's to show how opinions differ.
Not good hearing a bad experience but you run with your own.
I'm dead honest when i say this & i have been to Byrnes (bluenosed fecker) many times but it literally pissed on what Byrnes have delivered over the years.
Despite the negative post i will be travelling further than Byrnes (which was my usual stop) for a fish & chip takeaway.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3130 on: March 10, 2018, 11:28:40 am »
That's the one by the subway isn't it? I ride past every week day on my bike, will give it a bash one time

Offline Only Me

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3131 on: March 11, 2018, 09:12:50 pm »
Just go's to show how opinions differ.
Not good hearing a bad experience but you run with your own.
I'm dead honest when i say this & i have been to Byrnes (bluenosed fecker) many times but it literally pissed on what Byrnes have delivered over the years.
Despite the negative post i will be travelling further than Byrnes (which was my usual stop) for a fish & chip takeaway.

In fairness mate it was a while ago since I went in -as I say it was only weeks after it first opened so maybe 3-4 yrs ago? Places can change drastically in that time, and it may be fine now. Personally though I just never go back after something like that.

Anyway, in fairness, you deserve a hair in every chippy meal you ever get now, after that fucking spoiler joke  ;D

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3132 on: March 12, 2018, 10:11:06 am »
Went the Camp and Furnace yesterday, booked for Mothers Day by one of my daughters. Think I may have made a mistake getting Lamb as its was awful, fatty and not a lot of it, got some sausage meat type thing with it, presumably to bulk it out. It's also pretty scruffy - not in a fashion type of way either. Missus will eat anything and was very disappointed with it, didn't say nothing at the time as kids were paying. It was pretty busy so what do I know, far better available in Liverpool for a better price.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #3133 on: March 17, 2018, 11:55:07 am »
Had the lunch menu at Wreckfish yesterday. All in all very good.

I had the risotto starter but the rice was a little cloggy but the main course of sea bream on a butter bean stew was excellent, as was the marmalade sponge pudding.

We at in the basement and, no doubt because it was parky outside, the heaters were on full blast. Bit uncomfortable at first but they happily tuned it down a bit.

Well worth a visit.

Offline yes

• no. prog punditry
  • Kopite
  • I got the ill communication
« Reply #3134 on: March 18, 2018, 12:02:55 am »
Did Roski a couple of weeks ago, in the old Puschka on Rodney Street and owned by former Masterchef: The Professionals winner Anton Piotrowski.

Had the full 7-course tasting menu (be aware that of a Saturday this is the only dining option available) with wine flight. Priced at an 'enthusiastic' £75 and £55 respectively with the total bill including tips coming in at just shy of £300 per couple.

Nice set-up and service is far from intimidating. If anything some of the front of house staff seemed a little nervous, but in an endearing way.

He's clearly going for a star and I suppose having had a taste of it in the past with his place in Devon you can't knock him for having a try in Liverpool. I'll start by saying that given the fact he's aiming (and pricing) for those sort of levels it's only fair to make comparisons with those at a similar price bracket.

If we're using the Art School as a sub-Michelin benchmark then Roski compares very favourably in terms of the food as it's more adventurous and better value. A couple of the amuse bouches and starters actually left the mouth tingling with spice which was very unexpected considering the cooking was essentially British/French. There was part of me wanting their take on Scouse to be a failure (how dare they and all that) but I just couldn't bring myself to say that it was. It was technically perfect but still held that homemade familiarity. The fish and main courses were solid 8/10 jobs whilst the sizeable pre-dessert of rhubarb with builders' tea ice cream is one of the best sweets I have ever tasted. It was stunning. There was also a nice bit of table theatre (which I'm a sucker for) with dry ice cascading over the table with the main dessert, even though in reality it adds little to what is going into your mouth.

In terms of the wine flight our server gamely attempted to explain why they had paired certain wines with each course but it was all a bit scripted and I couldn't help but have the sort of emotion that you'd get watching your child at a school play where you're unintentionally mouthing the words with them in encouragement and hoping they get through it ok. As I say there was an endearing quality to it all but I don't think she'd have coped with any supplementary questions that could have come her way from us, let alone from the tyre people. The flight itself was only ok for the price and in terms of servers' knowledge of food and wine in general the whole experience doesn't compare with what you might expect from Tom at Fraiche where you feel he could tell you the name of the cow the butter came from and what size feet crushed the grapes.

On the whole though this was a very, very good dining experience. With regard to the food then I'd say it's comfortably the best fine dining in the city itself, although we're not exactly overflowing with alternatives are we? Art School is good if a bit uninspiring, ditto 60 Hope Street and the Panoramic is way overpriced for very average (at best) food and service. What else is there besides those? As a separate point it says it all about how much you can trust Trip Advisor when those three are all listed above Fraiche. In terms of the wider city region I'd still have Fraiche as top but that's as much about me preferring the intimate and exclusive atmosphere as anything. That said I could see why some people would prefer the Roski experience as it's certainly less intimidating to the uninitiated (and at least you can get a table).

If the tasting menu is a bit too tasty in terms of price I don't reckon you could go far wrong with giving it a go for lunch first at £25 for 3 courses.

Highly recommended.

Offline Only Me

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3135 on: March 18, 2018, 10:09:00 am »

Thanks for such a helpful and detailed review mate - been on the list for a while now, and really must get around to trying it soon.

Main restaurant at Moor Hall for me next weekend, can't wait.

And you are spot on about Fraiche - far and away the best place for miles around at the mo.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3136 on: March 19, 2018, 10:09:54 am »

Cheers for that review, Roski is on the list.
It was a good comparison  with Art School. I must admit that when I try this type of place, I usually start with the 3 course lunch menu which I think gives a really good overview of what's on offer without breaking the bank.
We enjoyed Art School, but found on the lunch menu that the dessert offering let the whole thing down when compared with other places of a similar standard.
It's good that there's a couple of similar places close together that can hopefully spur one another on.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3137 on: March 19, 2018, 10:48:41 am »
Went to Maray last week on Allerton Road.

Enjoyed it. The falafels were fucking great, probably the best I've had. Salads, fried chicken, flatbread, chips all superb. Not that fussed on the sea bass but overall I liked it a lot.

Don't get out to eat much to be honest so it felt like a real treat.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline yes

• no. prog punditry
  • Kopite
« Reply #3138 on: March 20, 2018, 05:41:39 pm »
I must admit that when I try this type of place, I usually start with the 3 course lunch menu which I think gives a really good overview of what's on offer without breaking the bank.

Totally agree mate. With the Michelin Star gaffs that's pretty much all I ever do. Couldn't justify £200 for the tasting menu at Mirazur but £75 for lunch gives you the same experience albeit 6 hours earlier in the day and, more importantly, allows you to go on various forums telling people that you've eaten at Mirazur.   ;D

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #3139 on: March 20, 2018, 09:37:12 pm »
Sanskruti, best Indian restaurant in the city, bar none. Yukti and Remora exceptional, but this, this is something special.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline ChrisOH

• Main Stander
« Reply #3140 on: March 21, 2018, 05:43:18 pm »
Sanskruti, best Indian restaurant in the city, bar none. Yukti and Remora exceptional, but this, this is something special.

The mixed lamb starter from Yukti was one of the best starters I've ever had, will have to check out your claims!

Edit: On review it's a vegetarian restaurant ;D Yukti still holds the crown!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 05:45:54 pm by ChrisOH »
Ye wha la.

Offline yes

• no. prog punditry
  • Kopite
« Reply #3141 on: March 21, 2018, 06:11:56 pm »

Went to the Jay Rayner-endorsed Bundobust in Manchester (bear with me) last week and it was seriously good and is along the lines as Sanskruti but the craft ales give it the hipster twist that you may or may not think enhances the experience. Got talking to the waiter there and he says there's one coming to Bold Street in June. Once it arrives I'd advise anyone to make it a priority, it was fantastic and they don't do the holier-than-thou vegetarian thing that I find a turn off.

On a side note I've never been more disappointed in a restaurant visit than I was with Yukti (the one in the Swan). It wasn't bad, just way below expectations. I know it sounds pretentious but it was how I'd imagine Signature Living would do fine dining - fur coat and no knickers.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #3142 on: March 23, 2018, 08:21:16 am »
Any suggestions for a good pizza restaurant in town, obviously nothing like Pizza Hut or Domino's  ;D

"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3143 on: March 23, 2018, 08:26:21 am »
Any suggestions for a good pizza restaurant in town, obviously nothing like Pizza Hut or Domino's  ;D

Amalia

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #3144 on: March 23, 2018, 09:26:55 am »
Amalia

Good shout. I reviewed it a while back, the calzone are fantastic. Very reasonably priced
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline Momos_righteye

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3145 on: March 23, 2018, 09:59:53 am »

Think that il Forno (on Duke Street) & Crust (on bold street) are decent as well

Offline CONFIAMOS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3146 on: March 23, 2018, 10:10:18 am »
Amalia is good - probably ££

Il forno great clay oven - more £££

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3147 on: March 23, 2018, 10:20:16 am »
Amalia is good - probably ££

I like Amalia.

The 20% off food on the Independent Liverpool card is a great deal too, used that loads.

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #3148 on: March 23, 2018, 10:24:01 am »
Amelia this afternoon.

Put simply, it was excellent.

3 of us, we had a charcuterie platter, garlic pizza for starter, followed by a calzone, carbonara with seafood and squid ink and a seafood ravioli. Couple of Morettis and glasses of wine, all for £73.50. Great service, no rushing even though pretty busy, nice and relaxed.

Highly recommended.

Obviously that should say Amalia and is off Duke St

Heres my review for Amalia.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3149 on: March 23, 2018, 12:28:13 pm »
Never tried it myself, but my daughter loves Crust on Bold St.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #3150 on: March 23, 2018, 04:46:33 pm »

Echo what others have said. Amalia is the best sit in Pizza you can get in Liverpool (Was even voted best in England at some awards thing last year)

Been going back to some places I like recently, and noticed a lot seem to have dropped in quality of food.

Hanover Street Social was a great little meal out last week, good food and a good atmosphere for a Wednesday night, my parents who don't get to come up to Liverpool much really enjoyed it. The owners seem to have hit the spot with a few places, as I also enjoyed Baccaro and Neon Jamon.

We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3151 on: March 24, 2018, 09:06:54 am »

Managed to walk in and get a table last night - got lucky as they were fully booked - at Sanskruti based on your post.

Wow. Was so so good.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #3152 on: March 26, 2018, 08:06:21 am »
Cheers for all the pizza tips, gonna give Amalia a go this weekend.  :D
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3153 on: March 26, 2018, 12:37:20 pm »
I see the Gulshan is gone and becoming a Turkish BBQ restaurant. Always liked the Gulshan but got to admit I love good Turkish food too, hopefully it’s good.

Online gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3154 on: March 26, 2018, 06:45:56 pm »
Been calling into lock and key on duke street a fair few times for a breakfast , they do a vegetarian breakfast which consists of 2 poached eggs which have always been perfect , asparagus , grilled halloumi , tomato , beans , mushrooms , small home fries and toast  . Not a veggie myself just had it one day and it was fabulous so have it every time now the missus had the poached egg and ham with hollandaise sauce on the side and raved about it . Only a small place near the bottom of duke street .

Offline Only Me

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3155 on: March 26, 2018, 09:11:40 pm »
Went for a long anticipated visit to the main restaurant at Moor Hall on Saturday.

Having already been to the barn for a great meal, we were really looking forward to this, and it didn't disappoint.

We did the 8 course tasting menu, which by the time you count in all the little bonus plates actually ended up being around 14 courses. It was a spectacular meal from start to finish.

Highlights were the turnip and lobster dish, the Holstein Friesian tartar, the monkfish and the fallow dear. But honestly, every plate was outstanding.

The wine flight at £70pp for 8 top quality glasses was excellent too, and the sommelier was happy to provide free top-ups of the stuff we particularly liked [Kefalonian Muscat - who knew?].

The food was, in my humble opinion, of a higher level even than that which we enjoyed at Fraiche, and leaves the Art School absolutely floundering.

In short, delighted that there's now somewhere this good locally, and can't wait to go again.

And by way of a Brucie bonus, having just been to fucking Iceland for 4 days, this was actually the cheapest meal out we'd had in over a week  :D

Offline Sh0rty

• Kopite
« Reply #3156 on: March 28, 2018, 06:04:39 pm »
Cheers for all the pizza tips, gonna give Amalia a go this weekend.  :D

I went recently great service and food and nobody giving me funny looks when the baby went a little loco!

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3157 on: March 28, 2018, 09:14:36 pm »
Went for a long anticipated visit to the main restaurant at Moor Hall on Saturday.

Having already been to the barn for a great meal, we were really looking forward to this, and it didn't disappoint.

We did the 8 course tasting menu, which by the time you count in all the little bonus plates actually ended up being around 14 courses. It was a spectacular meal from start to finish.

Highlights were the turnip and lobster dish, the Holstein Friesian tartar, the monkfish and the fallow dear. But honestly, every plate was outstanding.

The wine flight at £70pp for 8 top quality glasses was excellent too, and the sommelier was happy to provide free top-ups of the stuff we particularly liked [Kefalonian Muscat - who knew?].

The food was, in my humble opinion, of a higher level even than that which we enjoyed at Fraiche, and leaves the Art School absolutely floundering.

In short, delighted that there's now somewhere this good locally, and can't wait to go again.

And by way of a Brucie bonus, having just been to fucking Iceland for 4 days, this was actually the cheapest meal out we'd had in over a week  :D

Will definitely be giving this a go in the next few months

As an aside how did you find the food in Iceland other than the price? It's up there with some of the best I've ever had hands down

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3158 on: March 28, 2018, 11:35:25 pm »
As an aside how did you find the food in Iceland other than the price? It's up there with some of the best I've ever had hands down

Offline Only Me

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3159 on: March 30, 2018, 12:40:21 am »
Will definitely be giving this a go in the next few months

Joking aside, the food in Iceland was outstanding, it was just ridiculously expensive.

Cheapest place we found serves lamb soup at 14 nicker a bowl. Delicious, great place, lovely staff, and a free refill, but still £50 for two with a  drink each. For soup. Madness, but still cheaper by over 50% than anywhere else we tried. Other than that place (no 1restaurant in Reykjavik by a fucking mile on Trip advisor because of the cheap! Cost), everywhere else was way over a ton for a main with a couple of drinks.

Real shame, because everyone we met loved Iceland, but without exception they all said they’d never go back because of the cost.

No complaints at all about the quality though, it was absolutely boss.

And Just go to Moor Hall - great place mate.