Author Topic: Off Work On The Sick.  (Read 4454 times)

Pheeny

Off Work On The Sick.
« on: December 24, 2004, 10:36:18 am »
Seeing Rogers post on another thread about being off work sick,made me wonder who of you takes the most time off work?
For the record I've not been on the sick in over 10 years and then it was only for the one day.

Offline Kirsty

• Has a list of older men she'd like to 'wotsit'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @kirstycurran
Re: Off Work On The Sick.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 10:37:50 am »
In my new job (since end of April) I haven't had a single day off yet!  In my last job, loads, once I'd lost interest and started hating it!

Offline Forbsie

• Aka Fourbees
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11th August 1977...Remember the Date
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2004, 10:38:42 am »
Off once this year, first time in years.......broke wrist playing 5's and spent most of night/day in hospital before getting a cast on.

If Kenny Dalglish had simply played football for Liverpool he would be an Anfield hero. However, the fact that he managed the club to even greater success guarantees him the status of a legend.

Offline Obi Wan Gomi

• Would like to see more moustaches in the dressing room
  • Legacy Fan
  • we'll win it six times
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2004, 10:39:26 am »
three days in the last two years.
77-78-81-84-05

Helly

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2004, 10:40:14 am »
Think I might be a contender here.  Went off sick on June 4th, returned to work in a different job 29 November! Oh and 2 years before that I had 7 months off sick as well  :wave

Roddysul

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2004, 10:41:21 am »
2 days off sick in 14 years -  one was when it looked like I had German measles and had to stay off until the microbiology results confirmed I didn't and was safe to attend to pregnant ladies.   Only other one was the day after the Obs and Gynae Christmas party in 1993  when I felt so bad I thought I'd already died

Offline Aidan_B

• Trust me, I am a doctor. HJC Champions - Nov 2003
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gone, perhaps forgotten
    • EnviroBuild
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2004, 10:41:32 am »
I've never taken a day off work sick.  I had to leave work early one time through an injury (I did my knee playing football and just couldn't stand on it, so was pretty much useless), but I didn't put my hours in for when I wasn't there.

I have however told my boss I wouldn't be there at certain times because I was watching Liverpool / Cricket / World Cup or Euro Champs.  But I have never pretended to be sick because I am, seeming like you Pheeny, who just doesn't really get sick. 

Yes, I fully expect a horrible virus within the next four hours for saying that

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2004, 10:43:16 am »
I've had about 20 odd days in 25 years. A week last year when I was extremely ill but nothing for years before that other than something really nasty that made me miss the LFC v Birmingham City Cup match. My pet hate is people taking 'casual' days for no proper reason. Because some idiot has to work harder to cover.

Pheeny

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2004, 10:49:04 am »
My pet hate is people taking 'casual' days for no proper reason. Because some idiot has to work harder to cover.
Yea thats one of the things I hate.Loads of people do that over here.Last year when they made 3000 people redundant they made a points system up and if you'd been on the sick 5 times  within the last 3 years you where given 5 points.(points being bad) We as some of you know went on strike for a couple of days,so some bloke decided he'd go on the sick as it pays more money than strike pay.His 5th time within the 3 years so now he's out of work.Serves him right I suppose.

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2004, 11:46:31 am »
the last place I worked their encouraged you to stay home if sick as someone with flu/chest infection etc coughing all over the shop causes far more lost time through others catching it.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Pheeny

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2004, 12:00:03 pm »
the last place I worked their encouraged you to stay home if sick as someone with flu/chest infection etc coughing all over the shop causes far more lost time through others catching it.
exactly.But to be honest I've not been sick so therefore not taken the time off work.I was more interested in who "used" the old I'm sick routine to get extra time off work.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2004, 12:08:37 pm »
I used to when I worked at Sainsburys, I think I rang in sick about 5 times in just over a year, all the times because I was going to a gig of some kind. Thing is if I'd have been more grown up about it I could have probably had it as paid holiday. Mind you, I wasnt the worst for doing it by any means. I wouldnt do it now though unless I really had to.

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2004, 04:57:10 pm »
Had 3 days off this year. Agree with Rushian, the amount of times i've had a bad cold but gone in due to not wanting boredam has probably cost work a few weeks over the years.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2004, 05:19:01 pm »
Don't work anymore (student now) but I used to make sure I used up my allowance. About 9-10 days a year, whether sick or not. It didn't affect anyone else to be honest (work just piled up on my desk) but I won't lie and say it'd have bothered me either way.

Offline Joff

• Nah.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2004, 11:59:00 pm »
Went just over 5 and a half years without going off sick, then been off 3 times in 6 months, totalling about 11 days, all legit!  :o
Nah.

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2004, 12:08:30 am »
in my current job i went about 3 years with only having one day off through illness (and that was only a 2 hour shift),

since i think ive had about 2 weeks off in 2 years. various things including a inner ear infection that meant i could barely stand up without losing my balance! (was seriously like i was seasick for about 3 days)

av had the odd day off on a skive as well, but i dont feel guilty for that as there are people in my work place who get months off work (paid) with stress when they are blatently a-ok, one even got time off this way just so he could go on holiday to florida! not saying i should do it just because they do but a day off every now and then is a bit different to someone playing the system.
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Roddysul

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2004, 02:21:58 am »
Last year some bloke succesfully sued his GP -  he had turned up at surgery with nothing wrong with him but wanted a "check-up"  GP was struggling on in work with a flu-like illness that this bloke then develops over the next week.  Succesful lawsuit against the Doc.   -  wasn't even in the US either

Offline Ian-TN

• The slightly shop spoiled Jon Hall
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2004, 02:37:46 am »
*waits for Rashid to moan about yer's being off work now*   :D
To an interpreter, regarding excited Italian journalists:
'Just tell them I completely disagree with everything they say.'

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2004, 07:17:34 am »
Don't work anymore (student now) but I used to make sure I used up my allowance. About 9-10 days a year, whether sick or not. It didn't affect anyone else to be honest (work just piled up on my desk) but I won't lie and say it'd have bothered me either way.

Thats the thing about allowing your days to accumulate, if the employer pays you to  accrue your sickies, well and good but if not it seems like you are not getting your full entitlements. done a job for a TAFE teacher he was on the verge of retiring, had 35  years in and had something like40 weeks of unused sick leave, he wont/ddint get a penny in leiu of the time...

Personally, i am self employed so   makes no odds if i dont go in...

in fact  was supposed to start with a new company last week told them i would be late coz of the newcastle game.. bastard rang me DURING the match..... i lasted 4 hours and told them to sod off.......
JFT 96

Offline Missus

• South coast Sally
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2004, 07:26:09 am »
Never pulled a sickie that wasn't legit. Have even gone into work with chronic bronchitis.

Offline AdamS

• Hey I'm Not Camp! But I am a tart...
  • Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2004, 08:29:59 am »
Glad to see Santa hasn't chucked a sicky!
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline DaveLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2004, 09:13:17 am »
I never had a day off when I was in the RAF, it wasn't that I was not ill they just wouldn't put you on the sick.
The consequences of rejecting reality are not immediate but they are inevitable

Offline John Barnes Testicles

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2004, 09:22:43 am »
Just back this week after spending 2 weeks off with (Norwalk) stomach virus.  Shitty time indeed.   :P

Offline Murf

• RAWK Wino
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Bob Paisley 10 years gone but not forgotten
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2004, 09:38:13 am »
Went on the sick Olympiacos game, and also in the next few home midweek games, will be sacked by March :(
never forget the 96....... justice   www.contrast.org/hillsborough

NO GAME ON APRIL THE 15th please write to

Rick Parry
Chief Executive
Liverpool Football Club
Anfield Road
Liverpool
L4 0TH

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
How sick would you have to be for you to stay off work?
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2019, 01:10:10 pm »
Probably not the best post for those that pulled a sickie on Monday following the result on Sunday :P

But currently going through a pretty horrible cold. The usual stuffed nose, sore throat, chesty cough, croaky voice combo etc.

I personally never thought about taking sick leave for it. Just packed a couple of Lemsip Sachets, Halls extra strong methol sweets and a fuck load of tissues and got on with it. Stayed away from other people so not to spread it and got on with my work.

One of my mates in work said that I should have taken a couple of sick days and recovered. We get pretty good sick leave (5 days self diagnosis and anything after needing a doc note. Obviously dont take the piss). But I never felt like it was something I wanted to do. Then realised that in 10+ years I have never had a sick day.

So what are your opinions? Would you take a few days off with a cold/flu? I think food poisoning/ something more contagious its a given. Dont spread that shit around

Obviously this doesn't include those on long term sick and is not a thread to make light of that situation.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: How sick would you have to be for you to stay off work?
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2019, 01:15:32 pm »
I definitely take time off work with a cold. And a hangover if it's bad. Depends on the job I reckon. I work in a middling admin job that isn't really affected by absences, so I'm not really arsed. Understand with some roles if you're off it has a big impact on your team/business so it's harder to take sick days.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2019, 01:18:10 pm »
When I’m at death’s door. Which sometimes when I have flu it does feel like that. But same as most people I’d say, when I’ve got a massive headache, achy muscles and sneezing/coughing every 30 seconds. Not just for my sake but so that I don’t pass it on to others. My sick days always seem to coincide with a big Liverpool match or a major boxing/UFC event. Strange that.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2019, 01:22:47 pm »
For illnesses like colds and the flu, not very. It's just irresponsible to go to work if you have something infectious/contagious.

I very rarely get either though.

I do tend to not take days off when I could do for other things like injuries or headaches or other things which are just painful but won't spread.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2019, 01:36:16 pm »
For illnesses like colds and the flu, not very. It's just irresponsible to go to work if you have something infectious/contagious.

I very rarely get either though.

I do tend to not take days off when I could do for other things like injuries or headaches or other things which are just painful but won't spread.

Surely you would take time off if you had actual flu?

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2019, 01:39:05 pm »
I reckon I’ve had less than 10 days off sick since I started ‘proper’ work in 2002. I’m unbreakable. How much work I’ve got done in that time is a different matter.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2019, 01:39:21 pm »
Surely you would take time off if you had actual flu?

That's what I said???  ;)

As in my first sentence, if I've got cold or the flu, I don't need to be very sick to take time off.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2019, 01:47:57 pm »
I think for me when I first started working it was on a zero hours/contractor basis where on my 1st day I was told 'Don't get sick because you wont get paid'.

So always made the point to stay in work no matter what.

I do agree that my quality of work drops off coming in with a cold. But I'm through that door 9-5 so thats the main thing

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2019, 01:48:56 pm »
Haven’t had a day off sick for 10 years....
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Dazzer23

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2019, 01:56:39 pm »
5 days off sick in 28 years of working (he says touching every bit of wood in sight)

I've been very lucky with my health but have obviously turned in sometimes when feeling pretty rough. I just think it's what you do.

But I know there is the opposite view. I know of people in my organisation getting verbally attacked by the people they work with for being in and "risking mine and my kids health" if they dare to sneeze.

I suppose like most things in life, there is a balance to be found somewhere

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2019, 02:41:45 pm »
I've had 2 days off sick since about 2007, and those 2 days were the end of a weekend bout of Norovirus in late-2016. I felt fine to go in on the Tuesday but read everywhere that you should leave it 48 hours after the last... evacuation.

Skiving work because of a hangover? Wow.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2019, 03:21:29 pm »
Almost 3 years off sick in 31 years. I did have one bout of serious illness which meant I was off for 2 1/2 years.

Hate it when fuckers come into work coughing and sneezing, you just know you will be ill within a couple of days. Our places shit policy of not getting sick pay for the first 3 days doesn't help.

Anyone who says they have gone to work while having the flu hasn't actually had the flu.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2019, 03:24:52 pm »
I know of people in my organisation getting verbally attacked by the people they work with for being in and "risking mine and my kids health" if they dare to sneeze.

Those are normally the same people who slag people off for taking time off sick.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2019, 03:31:55 pm »
Haven’t had a day off sick for 10 years....

I've had 2 days off sick since about 2007, and those 2 days were the end of a weekend bout of Norovirus in late-2016. I felt fine to go in on the Tuesday but read everywhere that you should leave it 48 hours after the last... evacuation.

Skiving work because of a hangover? Wow.

Ah the "good old" protestant work ethic.  ::)

Something I could easily add to things that annoy you thread.

Bring on the 4 day week, ASAP!
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2019, 03:35:39 pm »
I wouldn't stay off with a cold I don't think - but then it's impossible to say how much it's actually affecting you.

Had my first sick days in 7 years last week due to, well, exploding at both ends and having a rotten stomach and not being able to move really. I don't think the lack of sick days is due to any kind of big work ethic though, just lucky enough to have had a pretty healthy run.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2019, 03:36:26 pm »
Our places shit policy of not getting sick pay for the first 3 days doesn't help.

That's ridiculous and should be illegal.