Author Topic: Brazil v Ghana and Spain v France  (Read 40102 times)

Offline Eric

• Legacy Fan
Re: Brazil v Ghana and Spain v France
« Reply #520 on: June 28, 2006, 05:42:30 am »
What about that 60 yard ball that Xabi hit to Torres  :o

then Torres gave it straight away.  :butt

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #521 on: June 28, 2006, 07:09:51 am »
So happy that France went through, anything that means I can see ZZ play another match is a good thing. Football will be a slightly poorer place without him.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline a red revolution

• Legacy Fan
  • Forty-five!!
« Reply #522 on: June 28, 2006, 07:28:56 am »
So happy that France went through, anything that means I can see ZZ play another match is a good thing. Football will be a slightly poorer place without him.

Agreed. Though I was behind Spain last night - for the sake of our lads - at the end of the game I was pleased for ZZ and pleased that I'll get to see him on a footy pitch at least one more time.

A player like him deserves to bow out at the highest possible level.

Just think how close we came to signing him in 2000 . . . . .   ;)  :P
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 07:46:53 am by a red revolution »
"It is easy for these so-called experts to talk about the game when they don't see the training. . . . . it is easy for people to criticise on television; they have never managed a team that has lost a game - or won one."

Offline Bejean

• Anny Roader
« Reply #523 on: June 28, 2006, 08:05:20 am »
Had wanted Spain to win this but i guess France deserve it today. Sigh... ::) had backed Spain on a few bets thinking this might be their year to shake off their unachievers tag but ...
Emotional fragility cannot be tolerated if we are to reclaim a place as a domestic power

Offline FrenchRed

• Main Stander
  • Nous vivons tous dans un Kop Rouge et Blanc
« Reply #524 on: June 28, 2006, 08:29:27 am »
Ribery aside this looks like its going to be played solely down the middle with virtually no width, which quite possibly could result in another snoozer given France's penchant for emphasizing possession. After seeing their formation and line-up, get ready to watch Zidane's last match lads and lasses.

What ?
i hoope you didn't bet on that.
Well done to Little Luis and Xabi but deserved victory. Allez les bleus !!!
If you want to know that a drink is one too much, you've got to drink it !

Offline MightyReds

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #525 on: June 28, 2006, 08:36:02 am »
another heart break for the spanish.
Was thinking they could it this year, with so many good players.

Think aragones messed up his tactic, middle of park too light weight, xabi and fabregas, Marcos seena would be a better option to partner one of them. And it showed also Raul is passed his best.

No chance to see how good is joaquin is huh...any chance getting him on the cheap as he did not feature much, price must have dropped
"In my time at Anfield we always said we have the best two teams on Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves" - Bill Shankly

Offline FrenchRed

• Main Stander
  • Nous vivons tous dans un Kop Rouge et Blanc
« Reply #526 on: June 28, 2006, 08:43:01 am »
everytime i take a player out my fantasy footy team he fucking scores :no

Take out Henry and all the French team please mate  ;)
If you want to know that a drink is one too much, you've got to drink it !

Offline Tetti

• RAWK Agony Aunt. Has a thing for gay singers...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • When you walk....
« Reply #527 on: June 28, 2006, 09:03:23 am »
Aragones is  a w***er.  Leaving Luis out for Raul, who is so far past his best its laughable.  Young team that just seemed  not to have enough guile or vision to change the course of the game.  Longer it went on the French were always going to win with a late goal, it was so obvious.

Very disappointed in Henry's theatrics as I have always liked him as a player.

Sad for Luis and Xabi and that one of the most entertaining sides went out. 

Its Argentina for me now I guess.
Never give up

Offline Bullan

• I can't believe I ate the whole thing...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speed of The Sound Of Loneliness
« Reply #528 on: June 28, 2006, 09:21:18 am »
Aragones is  a w***er.  Leaving Luis out for Raul, who is so far past his best its laughable.  Young team that just seemed  not to have enough guile or vision to change the course of the game.  Longer it went on the French were always going to win with a late goal, it was so obvious.

Spot on Tetti .. I don't think this lark about Raul being substituted had any real bearing on the proceedings , if anything I think taking off Villa for Joaquin was a far more damaging sub.

I think Spain can hold their heads up high though , they were positive , extremely good in possession and if they keep this team together I think we might well see them grow up into a tournament winning team.

The french had far too much experience for these lads and that told in the final 25 minutes.

Very disappointed in Henry's theatrics as I have always liked him as a player.

Sad for Luis and Xabi and that one of the most entertaining sides went out. 

Its Argentina for me now I guess.

I tipped the Argies to win it this year and I stand by that .. but I would much rather have watched a Brazil v Spain match and I too am sad for our players but they did themselves proud , Xabi was magnificent and little Luis did well.

Here's hoping for 2008
I hate every ape I see.
From chimpan-a to chimpan-z,
No, you'll never make a monkey out of me.
Oh, my God, I was wrong,
It was Earth all along.
You finally made a monkey...

Offline Emerald Red

• Legacy Fan
  • since 1956
« Reply #529 on: June 28, 2006, 09:22:18 am »
Remember Spain beat Ukraine 4-0

Ukraine are in the Q/F    ???

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #530 on: June 28, 2006, 09:24:52 am »
Hmmm, and domenech had predicted France would WIN their group and Spain would come second behind the Unkraine ???
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #531 on: June 28, 2006, 09:28:06 am »
its all about peaking at the right time!  So far it is only Brazil and England who are left to up their game.

Was pleased to see the french to win against the racist Aragones' team
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #532 on: June 28, 2006, 09:30:00 am »

That's the only consolation I can see. Except for LA fucking off now, please.

Offline garcia's da man

• Legacy Fan
  • Hi Helen, whats happenin? :D
« Reply #533 on: June 28, 2006, 09:41:40 am »
Absolutely gutted for the Spaniards... 

Henry the cheating diving bastard, so unprofessional to do that - grabbing his face and rolling around as if he's been shot.  All this diving going on in football lately is becoming an absolute joke and I dont condone it whatsoever no matter who it is or what the situation maybe.

Luis Garcia he drinks sangria...Please dont take our Luis away!!

Will keep on defending him no matter what...

LFC is my life!!

i viva España

Offline garcia's da man

• Legacy Fan
  • Hi Helen, whats happenin? :D
« Reply #534 on: June 28, 2006, 09:43:16 am »
Oh an a big well done to our Xabi and Luis for their contributions... Luis should have started ahead of Raul though as he is much more lively and has many more goal scoring opportunities.  Ah well at least they will get a good rest before the start of next season.
Luis Garcia he drinks sangria...Please dont take our Luis away!!

Will keep on defending him no matter what...

LFC is my life!!

i viva España

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #535 on: June 28, 2006, 10:02:33 am »
Looks like he learnt how to dive - hypocritical cheat.

From BBC:

Henry denies diving against Spain

France striker Thierry Henry has denied cheating to win the free-kick which led to his side's second goal in their 3-1 World Cup victory over Spain.
Henry fell to the ground clutching his face after colliding with Carles Puyol.

Puyol insisted the referee had made the wrong decision, adding: "If anything it was a foul by Henry."

But Henry said: "Spain's left-back Mariano Perina was going to win the ball so I don't know why Puyol cut across me, but he did. I don't cheat."

Spain coach Luis Aragones agreed with Puyol, saying that the clash with Henry did not merit a free-kick.

"For me the referee (Italian Roberto Rosetti) blew for a non-existent foul for the second goal," said Aragones.

Next time I'll learn to dive maybe, but I'm not a woman
Thierry Henry, after the 2006 Champions League final 

"As for the third goal, the game was practically over already when that went in."
It is not the first time Arsenal striker Henry has been involved in controversy with Barcelona star Puyol.

The striker was angry at the referee for not taking action over the rough treatment he received from Puyol in May's Champions League final in Paris, which Barcelona won 2-1.

After the match, Henry said: "Next time I'll learn to dive maybe, but I'm not a woman."

The game was level at 1-1 when Italian referee Roberto Rosetti gave a free-kick to France for the challenge by Puyol.

Zinedine Zidane's deep free-kick was deflected off the head of Xabi Alonso and found Patrick Vieira, whose header ended in the net via a deflection off Spain's Sergio Ramos.

Puyol said: "It hurts to lose this way, because I think we deserved more and we were playing a great game.

"But that's football. We now have to recover and think ahead to the next tournament."

Henry told BBC One's Match of the Day programme that the victory proved that France's team spirit was strong.

"I think we have got a lot of stick, but we have shown that we are a team," he said.

"Now, no matter what happens - you never know what can happen later on during the competition - we showed to our fans and to our people back in France that we are a team."

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #536 on: June 28, 2006, 10:14:35 am »
The Spain v France match just summed up this world cup for me, the football has been no more than average but the cheating has been world class. Wasn't too bothered who won but to see a team win like that is pathetic and Henry should be treated like Bilic was after the '98 world cup.

Figo was just as bad if not worse the other night, I actually hope England destroy Portugal on Saturday and that's not like me at all  :D
Legacy fan

Offline Paris Saint-Germain

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #537 on: June 28, 2006, 10:25:08 am »
Fernando torres diving was worse, are we calling him cheating bastard ?(or even better, cheating bastard Spanish?)

Anyway, we did well and for the first time we saw the OM Ribery  :o

Offline Christoph

• Kopite
  • The best day of my life
« Reply #538 on: June 28, 2006, 10:50:58 am »
Did anyone else get the feeling that Torres isn't up to it at the very top level yet? he had great games against Ukraine and Tunisia but he didn't get a sniff against Gallas, Sagnol and Co.

It's not the first time he went missing in a big game...
One life, one love, one LIVERPOOL FC

Offline Eve

• Banned from the Marriott
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #539 on: June 28, 2006, 11:11:51 am »
On radio 1 this morning he said "In England people know I don't go down"

Now what does that have to do with football?  ;D

Offline Notayesman

• Really, really hates Quaresma with a passion that outshines the brightest star in the galaxy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #540 on: June 28, 2006, 11:14:25 am »
Most definetly but he's young and may learn under a good coach. There's raw potential there, its whether he can harness it is the question. Not unlike a current Liverpool striker but he seems to have a little more guile and nous about him.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 11:20:41 am by Notayesman »

Offline Emlyn18

• Sorviodunum SU145305. Tossing over Pat Butcher or Barry Evans. Rhi's girlfriend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bargin Booze. Making life richer for the pourer.
« Reply #541 on: June 28, 2006, 11:23:34 am »
Em....

are you sure they make one your size?

;D

No they dont, ive just phoned up the cat suit shop and they dont do my size so looks like i wont be able to do it. Oh damm!
Emlyn, you were a very bad influence on my younger brother in Barcelona! I don't know what you gave him but he was a nuisance the entire day, have banned him from Eindhoven!  :missus

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #542 on: June 28, 2006, 11:33:24 am »
The Spain v France match just summed up this world cup for me, the football has been no more than average but the cheating has been world class. Wasn't too bothered who won but to see a team win like that is pathetic and Henry should be treated like Bilic was after the '98 world cup.

Figo was just as bad if not worse the other night, I actually hope England destroy Portugal on Saturday and that's not like me at all  :D

Sums it up nicely for me there DBD. Figo and Henry have been a disgrace and in an ideal world both would be restrospectively banned for the quarter finals.

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #543 on: June 28, 2006, 11:36:28 am »
After Arsenal lost the Champions League Final, Henry went on a tirade in a live interview saying "maybe we/I should learn to dive and cheat." (referring to Barcas tactics...).

Didn't know he was such a fast learner!

Allez les Bleus!!!
"I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks."

Offline IrishDave

• This custom title is invisible
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert clever comment here ............
« Reply #544 on: June 28, 2006, 11:36:51 am »
Sums it up nicely for me there DBD. Figo and Henry have been a disgrace and in an ideal world both would be restrospectively banned for the quarter finals.

I think you are all being a bit harsh on Figo. He was running full tilt and the guys elbow clearly made contact with his face. Whether it was intentional or not I bet it bloody hurt. Correct me if I am wrong but I think he stayed on his feet too.

Comparing that to Henry who was hit in the chest but fell clutching his face is a bit unfair IMO.
Keep your friends close & your enemies won't matter

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #545 on: June 28, 2006, 11:39:54 am »

FIFA bottled it over Figo by saying that the ref had already taken action by giving him a yellow, but the ref can't have seen what actually happened or it would have been a straight red. They should still be able to ban him on viewing the video replays.

Same with Henry, it was a deliberate piece of cynical cheating. He ran into the back of Puyol and then fell clutching his face when there was no contact with his face at all. He was after either a free kick or the booking or Puyol and he got both. The free kick led directly to France's goal which won them the game, Zidane's goal was just extra.

Can't stand cheating and this world cup has been pathetic for it. No wonder the Americans think "soccer" is such a stupid pointless game.

I doubt I'll even watch the match on Saturday, couldn't care less who wins to be honest but don't really want to see Portugal go any further.
Legacy fan

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #546 on: June 28, 2006, 11:40:21 am »
I think you are all being a bit harsh on Figo. He was running full tilt and the guys elbow clearly made contact with his face. Whether it was intentional or not I bet it bloody hurt. Correct me if I am wrong but I think he stayed on his feet too.

Comparing that to Henry who was hit in the chest but fell clutching his face is a bit unfair IMO.
In the case of Figo I was referring more to his headbutt 2 minutes earlier although he did make a meal of the challenge and should already have departed down the tunnel by then.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 11:42:07 am by Huyton Phil (raptor™) »

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #547 on: June 28, 2006, 11:40:37 am »

Did you not see Figo's headbutt?
Legacy fan

Offline IrishDave

• This custom title is invisible
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert clever comment here ............
« Reply #548 on: June 28, 2006, 11:45:24 am »
I thought you were referring to the elbow incident.

Yeah I saw the headbutt and thought he should have gone for it but if the ref didn't see it what can he do?
Keep your friends close & your enemies won't matter

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #549 on: June 28, 2006, 11:47:55 am »
I thought you were referring to the elbow incident.

Yeah I saw the headbutt and thought he should have gone for it but if the ref didn't see it what can he do?

If the ref didn't see it why did he book him? If he did see it why only a yellow? The correct action would have been to ban him but FIFA won't do that for some reason.

I thought the other incident was a pretty deliberate attempt to get the Dutch player sent off, wasn't too pleased about that either.
Legacy fan

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #550 on: June 28, 2006, 11:48:02 am »
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Notayesman

• Really, really hates Quaresma with a passion that outshines the brightest star in the galaxy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #551 on: June 28, 2006, 11:48:47 am »
Can't understand this business of people losing respect for Henry after that incident. I lost respect the tit a long time ago. There was the incident at Southampton when he started winding up Niemi after scoring, there's constant sour puss and shoulder shrugging, the incident with Luis mentioned a few pages back, the pathetic outburst after the CL final. I'm sure there's plenty more.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #552 on: June 28, 2006, 12:45:44 pm »
"After that match, Henry said: "Next time I'll learn to dive maybe, but I'm not a woman." (from BBC website)

So Ashley Cole, Pires, Reyes, Gerrard, The Argentinians, The Portugese, Ronaldo (the one who cries a lot), Van Horse, etc are all women then!

This guy is a pervert if he checked his team mates and opponents in the bathroom!!!!
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #553 on: June 28, 2006, 12:48:24 pm »
"After that match, Henry said: "Next time I'll learn to dive maybe, but I'm not a woman." (from BBC website)

So Ashley Cole, Pires, Reyes, Gerrard, The Argentinians, The Portugese, Ronaldo (the one who cries a lot), Van Horse, etc are all women then!

This guy is a pervert if he checked his team mates and opponents in the bathroom!!!!

Don't forget that Eboue made the worst dive seen in football history against Barcelona that lead to a free-kick Arsenal scored from in that game. Oh the irony.

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #554 on: June 28, 2006, 12:57:04 pm »
I was wondering which crime people think is worse - diving for a penalty or diving trying to get your opponent sent off?

I think pretending you have been hurt and that the foul merits a card (ie. clutching your face in agony like you have been hit as Henry did last night, Rivaldo in 2002 and Bilic did in 1998) is a worse crime than diving in the box when a tackle comes in to win a penalty.

They are both cheating - but I can understand the mentality behind the latter.

Offline Saracen Salcano

• Would like an identity
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #555 on: June 28, 2006, 01:51:17 pm »
Was certainly a bizarre change. Spain had certainly lacked width in the first half and bringing Garcia or Joaquin on was clearly necessary, not however at the expense of Villa.

Agreed. Fabgegas should have been taken off. he was good impact sub in the Group stage, but nothing more. he's too young and lightweight for any midifeld in a international knock out stage.  He lost the ball on both occasions for the second and third goal, with casual passing.

Gooners readng this might add that alonso was the on that headed the ball to Viera though.  ::)
COBRA KAI NEVER DIES

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #556 on: June 28, 2006, 02:12:12 pm »

Gooners readng this might add that alonso was the on that headed the ball to Viera though.  ::)

they never blame their own

Did any one see Xabi squaring up to Ribery just after the foul? ;D

He looked like he was ready to hit him nearly
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline Notayesman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #557 on: June 28, 2006, 04:38:05 pm »
FIFA bottled it over Figo by saying that the ref had already taken action by giving him a yellow, but the ref can't have seen what actually happened or it would have been a straight red. They should still be able to ban him on viewing the video replays.

Same with Henry, it was a deliberate piece of cynical cheating. He ran into the back of Puyol and then fell clutching his face when there was no contact with his face at all. He was after either a free kick or the booking or Puyol and he got both. The free kick led directly to France's goal which won them the game, Zidane's goal was just extra.

Can't stand cheating and this world cup has been pathetic for it. No wonder the Americans think "soccer" is such a stupid pointless game.

I doubt I'll even watch the match on Saturday, couldn't care less who wins to be honest but don't really want to see Portugal go any further.

Yes the Americans take a firm stand against cheating what with all the doping analysis..........oh wait!

Offline Tiger Tony

• Ginger knob who used to be barred from the Crows Nest. Will scweam and scweam and scweam if he doesn't get a Cardiff ticket. Aluminium. Thinks he's clever.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #558 on: June 28, 2006, 05:51:56 pm »
Why the fuck did people want France to win against our boys?!?! ??? Still fuckin gutted :'(

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #559 on: June 28, 2006, 06:36:11 pm »
Yes the Americans take a firm stand against cheating what with all the doping analysis..........oh wait!

And your point is what exactly?

That the FA correctly ruled in Rio's case? When most claimed he should have been banned for 2 years per the letter of the law.

Drugs in sport is a different issue than on pitch/field/rink behaviour isn't it?

Do you think a head butt would be a  one game suspension in the NBA or MLB where helmets are not used?  I think not..probably 5-10 and a fine. Depending on the players history.

Pitcher Kenny Rogers was suspended 20 games  and fined $50,000 for shoving a cameraman who was slightly injured when he fell backwards.

Can you see the FA, FIFA, Uefa doing that? ( tbf with the amount of games baseball plays, this would be the equivalent of around a 5 match suspension)
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.