Author Topic: A European Super League: The future of football?  (Read 12004 times)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: A European Super League: The future of football?
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2019, 10:16:32 am »
We have a super league, the CL. I’m not sure why anyone would even consider this a good idea except the people who would make money off it. And that’s all it is, a way for people already skimming tens of millions off the game to skim some more.

I don’t know about you people, but agents making up to 30m to organise a single transfer while most kids play on pitches more akin to a broken up glacier than a flat surface doesn’t really sit right with me.

Not much in football sits right with me these days. We've just had to battle to get the local powerzone kept open, you've got City and Utd pissing money all over the shop and hardly anywhere for kids to train/play. Drop in the ocean for both clubs to buy existing pitches and convert some to 4G and sort the rest. Trafford Labour Councillors would be very amenable to that, they've just overturned a load of Tory plans to build on green belt land and want to encourage more.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2019, 02:10:29 pm »
I dunno, but the only people I'm seeing defending the idea of this are from USA. Maybe it's a cultural thing that the idea of a Super League appeals to them?

Personally think it's a load of shite, but thankfully Rangers and Celtic aren't good enough to be considered for this nonsense.

I've heard a few PSG fans seem pro-Super League. Doesn't take much to figure out why...!
YNWA.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2019, 10:51:02 am »
I think this is pretty imminent now to be honest.

The way football has gone means a lot of teams are practically on pre-season mode until the champions league knock out games... There are so many teams in top domestic leagues that have outgrown their home competitions, and that means they essentially play a handful of meaningful games a season (Champions League knock out rounds).

The Champions League is the priority for most top clubs now, but it isn't frequent enough, and it then means nobody gets a sustained level of interest in their teams because in 12 months fans around the globe might watch, say, Juventus 4 times.

As the gap between the 1% gets larger and larger, the 99% become less and less needed, and they will be cut off soon to have a week by week Champions League.

All of these top clubs around Europe know they can't sustain a challenge against the Premier League anymore, its a matter of time before the Premier League morphs into the super league due to the level of interest/money it has anyway...

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2019, 10:52:20 am »
I think this is pretty imminent now to be honest.

The way football has gone means a lot of teams are practically on pre-season mode until the champions league knock out games... There are so many teams in top domestic leagues that have outgrown their home competitions, and that means they essentially play a handful of meaningful games a season (Champions League knock out rounds).

The Champions League is the priority for most top clubs now, but it isn't frequent enough, and it then means nobody gets a sustained level of interest in their teams because in 12 months fans around the globe might watch, say, Juventus 4 times.

As the gap between the 1% gets larger and larger, the 99% become less and less needed, and they will be cut off soon to have a week by week Champions League.

All of these top clubs around Europe know they can't sustain a challenge against the Premier League anymore, its a matter of time before the Premier League morphs into the super league due to the level of interest/money it has anyway...

It'll happen and City and PSG won't be invited to join.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2019, 10:55:49 am »
It'll happen and City and PSG won't be invited to join.

They will be invited, they just got through the gates before it was shut for the masses.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2019, 10:57:53 am »
Is this the Agnelli idea that is gaining momentum? Bloody hell.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2019, 11:12:34 am »
Honestly don’t think it’ll happen. Not anytime soon anyway.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2019, 11:18:08 am »
They will be invited, they just got through the gates before it was shut for the masses.

What, so they can destroy that competition too? No way will FSG, The Glazers, Barca, Real or Juve want them involved. PSG maybe will be allowed in for the French interest, City are a small club and aren't needed

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2019, 11:31:12 am »
Honestly don’t think it’ll happen. Not anytime soon anyway.
imo it depends how uefa treat city, if it’s brushed under the carpet it’s an inevitability

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: May 19, 2019, 11:35:35 am »
Don't let them hoodwink you into thinking this will be for sporting reasons, will it fuck, all the money in the world still isn't enough it would seem.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2019, 11:42:41 am »
There could be another story to this and its the clubs keeping the pressure on UEFA over doing something about the elephant in the room, ie PSG/City. I don't mind them using the Super League as a threat which keeps the pressure on the authorities to actually do something about clipping the wings on spending. I don't think a Super League is going to happen any time soon, but its the most obvious pressure that the clubs have over the likes of UEFA.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #91 on: May 19, 2019, 11:57:48 am »
Be good if this happens in a way

I’ll be done with the sport amd will free up my time, take up something else that doesn’t wind me the fuck up for 9 months a year
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: May 19, 2019, 12:11:30 pm »
I doubt the likes of Real, Barca, United, LFC etc will want to share an independent competition with City or PSG.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: May 19, 2019, 02:30:42 pm »
Be good if this happens in a way

I’ll be done with the sport amd will free up my time, take up something else that doesn’t wind me the fuck up for 9 months a year
Take up drumming and wind the fuck up out your neighbours instead  :)
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: May 19, 2019, 02:35:19 pm »
There could be another story to this and its the clubs keeping the pressure on UEFA over doing something about the elephant in the room, ie PSG/City. I don't mind them using the Super League as a threat which keeps the pressure on the authorities to actually do something about clipping the wings on spending. I don't think a Super League is going to happen any time soon, but its the most obvious pressure that the clubs have over the likes of UEFA.
To me, this is the most likely explanation.  After getting 97 points to finish 2nd I didn't expect FSG to simply shrug and sigh, 'Oh, well!' They've been in football long enough now to know how to operate behind the scenes.

I don't want a Super League, horrible idea. If I wanted that I'd dig my Subbuteo out and make my own league.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline cress

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #95 on: May 19, 2019, 04:18:27 pm »
It's been in the making for a few years now and City and PSG will be founders of it if it goes ahead. This isn't anything to do with putting pressure on UEFA/FIFA over FFP and it is all to do with money. The super league idea lead to the changes in the champions league. More money for wins, more money for those with a better co-efficient, more money the further you go.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.spiegel.de/international/world/football-documents-show-secret-plans-for-elite-league-of-top-clubs-a-1236447-amp.html

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: May 19, 2019, 04:24:42 pm »
Couldn’t think of anything worse.

The format as we have it now works, leave it be

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #97 on: June 11, 2019, 10:48:11 pm »
Martyn Ziegler in the Times is usually pretty well connected on these things.
A new proposal as an alternative to the Agnelli super league plan, for a CL expansion to 40 teams in 8x5 team groups (meaning 8 group games rather than 6) or alternatively 48 teams (8x6 team groups).

"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline my usenme changed?

• Self-appointed moderator for comic topics
  • Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2019, 10:57:24 pm »
More teams could dilute the competition, but I do agree with van der sar, surely Ajax winning the Dutch league should get them into the competition proper, as opposed to the 4th placed Spanish team for example.
Mid-Ulster Kopite  ---  BELIEVER

77 * 78 * 81 * 84 * 05 * 19
Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: June 11, 2019, 10:57:42 pm »
Martyn Ziegler in the Times is usually pretty well connected on these things.
A new proposal as an alternative to the Agnelli super league plan, for a CL expansion to 40 teams in 8x5 team groups (meaning 8 group games rather than 6) or alternatively 48 teams (8x6 team groups).

I'm guessing with both it would still just be the top two from each group qualifying (to keep the round of 16 as... 16 teams).  Having said that, I wouldn't put it past UEFA to go for the latter option (8x6) and have the top four of each group qualifying to create a new round of 32.

It sounds a bit naff to me and would make the early rounds of the Europa League like the Checkatrade Trophy with the top 40/48 teams in Europe all in the Champions League.

Still... it's a much better idea that Agnelli's!

(Side note: a 13-0 in a World Cup finals match sadly does the women's game no favours)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 11:13:38 pm by thaddeus »

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: June 11, 2019, 11:12:28 pm »
2-4 extra game would surely mean English top 4 sides staying out of the league cup. Not sure how they'd really manage to fit it in to the calender.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #101 on: June 11, 2019, 11:15:05 pm »
2-4 extra game would surely mean English top 4 sides staying out of the league cup. Not sure how they'd really manage to fit it in to the calender.

Which isn't a bad idea, I've never understood why there are two domestic cups in England only one is really needed.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: June 11, 2019, 11:34:06 pm »
I'm guessing with both it would still just be the top two from each group qualifying (to keep the round of 16 as... 16 teams).  Having said that, I wouldn't put it past UEFA to go for the latter option (8x6) and have the top four of each group qualifying to create a new round of 32.
Don't be surprised if they do this to wring out even more money:

48 teams (8 groups of 6)
then
8 group winners get byes into next round while the 8 #2 and 8 #3 teams from each group meet in knockouts
then
round of 16, etc.

It would further ensure that the big name clubs fill out the round of 16. It would be brutally hard for a minnow to get through those first two rounds.

EDIT: I'm not saying this is a good idea. It sucks. But don't be shocked.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Onward Liverpudlian

• Kopite
« Reply #103 on: June 11, 2019, 11:38:09 pm »
An increase to a 40 team 8 match group stage is fair - extra places should go to clubs like the dutch champions not just extra slots for the big leagues and it is proportional - an extra 2 games group stage is not too excessive.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: June 11, 2019, 11:39:24 pm »
Which isn't a bad idea, I've never understood why there are two domestic cups in England only one is really needed.

I've been banging this drum for a while.  As heretical as it may sound for a club that has more League Cup wins than any other club, no premier league club takes it seriously (at least until the semi-final) and therefore no premier league team should be in it.

As I was saying earlier in this thread, the way to grow the game is to make more clubs have a chance to win something.  Agnelli's off his f'ing rocker as his plans are to try to turn the CL into the NFL which just isn't going to happen.  The Europa League II or whatever it will be called is a good idea though and it sounds like it's already approved.  Any way to include more teams in the pot and to improve the chances of Ajax, Olympiakos, Red Star and the like to win something is in the long run good for the sport.

You'd figure this will include teams 7-9 in the PL which is a bit unfair in that their payrolls will dwarf most others but you have to start somewhere.  And while I want nothing good for Everton or West Ham, Wolves, Watford or Leicester having consistent European nights sounds great and also will potentially help them bridge the gap to the other top sides.  Which then gets back to the LC as there will just be another competition that will take precedence over something that just no longer has the value it once did.

I also think if you had just one domestic cup competition then the PL clubs may value it more as they'll know they only have one chance to win something though I doubt most will still care.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: September 10, 2019, 02:26:51 am »
Saw a twitter thread today that I'll try to find again after it's now been confirmed the closed loop system with 24 teams is now dead as far as the CL.  It sounds like the EL 2 is still possibly going to happen though?  What was most interesting was the suggestion of instead of doing the EL 2 doing an FA cup but for every team in the top 5 leagues and extensive minor European leagues with it just being 1 game knockouts.  You can seed in us, Barca, RM, Bayern way later just like the FA cup does now as well.  Sounds like a bit of a win/win to me and could make for some pretty amazing matchups.  For the top 4 it may be too much if you're going to take the LC seriously but again none of them do so /shrug.....

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #107 on: September 10, 2019, 06:17:21 am »
Saw a twitter thread today that I'll try to find again after it's now been confirmed the closed loop system with 24 teams is now dead as far as the CL.  It sounds like the EL 2 is still possibly going to happen though?  What was most interesting was the suggestion of instead of doing the EL 2 doing an FA cup but for every team in the top 5 leagues and extensive minor European leagues with it just being 1 game knockouts.  You can seed in us, Barca, RM, Bayern way later just like the FA cup does now as well.  Sounds like a bit of a win/win to me and could make for some pretty amazing matchups.  For the top 4 it may be too much if you're going to take the LC seriously but again none of them do so /shrug.....

Fuck seeding. Top 4 from every euro league. One game ties.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline wheresnemeth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: September 10, 2019, 07:12:51 am »
Fuck seeding. Top 4 from every euro league. One game ties.

I prefer the home and away option, but every game should be like the knockout stages of the champions league. Rather than this league format.
making a c*nting mess of a list, like c*nts on a bike trying to win the Tour de France...

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2019, 09:56:11 am »
I prefer the home and away option, but every game should be like the knockout stages of the champions league. Rather than this league format.
I've said for a while I think the Europa should be expanded to 256 teams and consist of a straight one-tie knockout format (maybe two legs from the quarters) with random draws. It would give it a distinct feel from the Champions League too, instead of just being a lesser version.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: September 10, 2019, 03:48:54 pm »
Agnelli will try again no doubt, he's the one driving this change and wanting CL games on the weekends to damage the PL revenues and product.

He really hates how much money is in the PL, and his latest idea is for Juventus to have early kickoffs on the weekend to try and attract the Asian market which is a dumb idea as no one in Asia will watch Juve over any PL game.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 03:51:37 pm by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #111 on: September 10, 2019, 05:13:01 pm »

Interesting idea. The FA Cup has over 700 clubs taking part at various stages, so it could be done. I wouldn't put the Champions League clubs in, at least not those who make the last 16. The rest could get a bye until then, rather than dropping teams into the Europa, which nobody likes.

Good to hear the "closed shop" thing is dead in the water. Shit idea. It should always be based on sporting merit.

The problem with expanding the competition is that it just results in weaker teams getting in, or it increases the monopoly of the bigger leagues.

I have nothing against the idea of a two-tier competition in principle, with promotion and relegation between the two. It could work on a pyramid system. So you have a Div.2A made up of national champions and a Div.2B of teams from leagues already represented in the top division, highest finishers not already in the competition. The four semi-finalists of each get promoted, while the Group Stage losers are relegated.

Of course, that is likely to end up dominated by the big four leagues. Maybe if a team finishes 3rd in the group stage and another club from that country is to be promoted, you could have a play-off. That would put an effective limit on the number of teams from one country in the top competition.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Gutzon Borglum

• Kopite
« Reply #112 on: September 10, 2019, 07:14:14 pm »
Expanding the CL group games would just be even more unnecessary games, the same teams will still always end up in the last 16, which is when the real competition starts with the proper massive fixtures anyway. The epicness of the two-legged ties is what makes the Champions League so brilliant to watch, it's the greatest football competition in human history, it makes no sense to change it.

However, I can see why the big Euro clubs are concerned about the Premier League's rise. The reality is that we can sustain more big clubs and fund the smaller clubs to be more competitive in order to make it a better overall product.

The only way I'd ever accept a Super League would be if it had proper relegation and promotion to the National Leagues themselves. But as a Liverpool supporter and Premier League fan I'd obviously prefer shit to stay like it is.

The solution for the Europeans teams long term if trends continue and they fall behind elite Prem sides would be to group the French, Dutch and German leagues together, and the Italian, Spanish and Portugese leagues together. Then you'd have some seriously boss leagues.. Ajax fighting PSG, Bayern and Dortmund for one title, and Juve and the Milan clubs fighting Benfica, Real and Barca for the other. I'd be happy for us to take the Scottish clubs into the PL, Rangers and Celtic would be boss additions to the league.

This solution wouldn't be perfect, but I'd rather see something like that than an American-style Super League with permanent soulless "franchises" disconnected from the lower tiers of football.

Offline Gutzon Borglum

• Kopite
« Reply #113 on: September 10, 2019, 07:21:14 pm »
Massive clubs stuck in smaller leagues just cant compete in Europe anymore and it's sad, the likes of Benfica, Celtic, Ajax, Olympiakos and Galatasaray are fucking massive clubs. If they were established in better leagues they'd be able to attract top talent and compete. They'd win less trophies overall obviously, but they'd at least have a chance to truly be elite clubs if they have a period where they get their management and recruitment right.

Liverpool, United, Real, Barca and Bayern will all literally never be further than a good manager and/or a few smart transfers away from competing at the highest level.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: September 10, 2019, 08:29:29 pm »
Massive clubs stuck in smaller leagues just cant compete in Europe anymore and it's sad, the likes of Benfica, Celtic, Ajax, Olympiakos and Galatasaray are fucking massive clubs. If they were established in better leagues they'd be able to attract top talent and compete. They'd win less trophies overall obviously, but they'd at least have a chance to truly be elite clubs if they have a period where they get their management and recruitment right.

Liverpool, United, Real, Barca and Bayern will all literally never be further than a good manager and/or a few smart transfers away from competing at the highest level.

We are a good example of that. The turmoil we have had since 2001 and yet we have been in 6 European Finals winning a UEFA and 2 CL's

Offline BrandoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: September 11, 2019, 12:01:11 am »
Ajax made quite a bit of money last year in the CL.  Even though the odds are against them those traditional powerhouses in smaller leagues only need the breaks to go their way in 90 minute increments if it's a 1 game knockout.  I think a Pan-European style FA cup whether it be 128 or 256 teams would allow a lot more teams to bask in CL type funds to help close the gap.  Agnelli and Juve can fuck off as well.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: September 11, 2019, 12:15:25 am »
There will eventually be a super league with clubs "b" teams playing in their domestic leagues. 

Offline BrandoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: September 11, 2019, 12:18:11 am »
There will eventually be a super league with clubs "b" teams playing in their domestic leagues.

Thankfully that is a long way off after the most recent proposals failed.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #118 on: September 12, 2019, 11:29:30 am »
Expanding the CL group games would just be even more unnecessary games, the same teams will still always end up in the last 16, which is when the real competition starts with the proper massive fixtures anyway. The epicness of the two-legged ties is what makes the Champions League so brilliant to watch, it's the greatest football competition in human history, it makes no sense to change it.

However, I can see why the big Euro clubs are concerned about the Premier League's rise. The reality is that we can sustain more big clubs and fund the smaller clubs to be more competitive in order to make it a better overall product.

The only way I'd ever accept a Super League would be if it had proper relegation and promotion to the National Leagues themselves. But as a Liverpool supporter and Premier League fan I'd obviously prefer shit to stay like it is.

The solution for the Europeans teams long term if trends continue and they fall behind elite Prem sides would be to group the French, Dutch and German leagues together, and the Italian, Spanish and Portugese leagues together. Then you'd have some seriously boss leagues.. Ajax fighting PSG, Bayern and Dortmund for one title, and Juve and the Milan clubs fighting Benfica, Real and Barca for the other. I'd be happy for us to take the Scottish clubs into the PL, Rangers and Celtic would be boss additions to the league.

This solution wouldn't be perfect, but I'd rather see something like that than an American-style Super League with permanent soulless "franchises" disconnected from the lower tiers of football.

Cross border leagues are an interesting option. Can't see the Italian and Spanish leagues merging, though. There was talk about a Benelux league a few years ago, and the possibility of a Nordic/Scandi league has been raised a few times too.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #119 on: September 12, 2019, 11:48:27 am »

I don’t think it will happen in my lifetime, and I’ve hopefully got a good 50+ years left in me.