Author Topic: Ballon d’Or Nominations/Awards  (Read 12565 times)

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Ballon d’Or Nominations
« Reply #40 on: October 9, 2021, 05:35:39 pm »
Lewa has been the best for two seasons. He deserves the praise more than anyone else, right now

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2021, 07:47:11 pm »
Lewa or Messi

Love Salah but wouldn't see what basis he's winning it on. If we win something this season and he has the season its looking like he's going to then I get next year but calling for him to get it now just feel like bias because he's a red

It’s an individual award not a team trophy. But you’re probably right as Messi and Ronaldo clearly benefit from historical performances not just recent.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2021, 07:48:18 pm »
Lewa has been the best for two seasons. He deserves the praise more than anyone else, right now

If everyone voted purely on the individual’s’ performances then Lewa would win surely.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2021, 03:40:34 pm »
Looks like Lewandowski has been absolutely robbed again.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2021, 03:44:14 pm »
 Give it Giggseh till the end of the season
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Alisson Wonderland

• Kopite
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2021, 04:03:40 pm »
Lets be honest, Messi was always going to win it after winning his first International trophy with Argentina

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2021, 04:43:09 pm »
The closest any player in recent history that has got close to winning it besides Messi and C.Ronaldo is our Virgil back in 2019 besides the Modric year I might add.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2021, 05:01:47 pm »
I don't know why they even bother with this thing anymore. Just give it to fucking Messi every year and be done with it.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2021, 05:26:34 pm »
I don't know why they even bother with this thing anymore. Just give it to fucking Messi every year and be done with it.

Yup. Just give it him until he retires, then for a few years after that too, then start it again properly.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2021, 05:27:17 pm »
Did Messi win it already?

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2021, 05:35:54 pm »
Where is everyone getting that Messi has won it? The leak that surfaced a couple days ago supposedly revealed that Lewandowski was the winner. It would me criminal if he didn’t.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2021, 05:35:56 pm »

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2021, 06:17:55 pm »
Where is everyone getting that Messi has won it? The leak that surfaced a couple days ago supposedly revealed that Lewandowski was the winner. It would me criminal if he didn’t.

Reports from France Football.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2021, 06:37:02 pm »
Ballon d'Or is about as useful of a metric as the 'NASCAR most popular driver' whenever the rednecks phone in the latest Earnhardt or Elliott to win every year ;D

Or the Super Bowl MVP nearly always landing with the quarterback or the other 1/10 of times an attacking player nowadays is another funny joke. It's like the jury didn't watch the game sometimes.

In the case of Ballon d'Or, 2010, 2013 and 2019 stick out like sore thumbs.

To me, if Messi wins, it's the third Ballon d'Or that he's completely stolen from someone having a better year. The craziest part was that they didn't even nominate Schweinsteiger in 2013 when he was deserving that one by a mile and a half after he commanded the 7-0 destruction of Barcelona and a treble. Instead they gave it to... the titleless Ronaldo??? Whoever sells the most shirts wins the Ballon d'Or. Pointless award.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 06:54:11 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2021, 09:51:38 pm »
It was a fantastic award up to 2010.  Just looking at roll of honour and there’s different winners every year, players from the eastern bloc, mammoth achievements represented, legendary names all over the place.  Brilliant potted history of football.

Then you get to the last decade and it’s just ‘who do you like better Messi or Ronaldo?’ plus ‘Griezmann or whoever’s team had a good year, he can be third’.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2021, 09:55:54 pm »
For me from 2010 onwards:

2010 Sneijder
2011 Messi
2012 Messi
2013 Schweinsteiger
2014 Messi
2015 Messi
2016 Ronaldo
2017 Ronaldo
2018 Modric
2019 van Dijk
2020 Lewandowski
2021 Lewandowski

It's not like Messi and Ronaldo didn't deserve a few of those, but got inflated pretty quickly and also Ronaldo grabbed more than he should. Messi should've been 5-3 up and it's crazy that it's 6-5 with Ronaldo nicking one from Messi that he shouldn't have. No winners based in another league than Spain is also a proper joke.

I think it's very close between Lewandowski and Salah this year but it's hard to explain away 40 league goals in fewer than 30 apperances after all. Optically, Salah looks better because of his style of play of taking the defenders on in crazy manners and in most years he'd got it with his recent form, but I think he peaked too late this year to beat Lewandowski in that sense. Also in 2018 I feel that he really should've given Modric a real run for the money although no trophies probably ruled him out. Had that Ramos bastard not gone on his rage attack, I believe that year may well have been his Ballon d'Or because if he got to play 90 minutes - I think he'd made the difference to win the game that time.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 10:06:46 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2021, 10:11:04 pm »
2010 Sneijder
2011 Messi
2012 Xavi
2013 Muller
2014 Suarez
2015 Neymar
2016 Ronaldo
2017 Griezmann
2018 Modric
2019 van Dijk
2020 [no winner]
2021 Lewandowski
2022 Salah

Stupid but a much more interesting list.  No award for 2020 is unjustifiable but I like the mentalness of it.  You should need a superhuman effort to take a repeat title imo.  Suarez also deserved 2010 for the lols against Ghana but you can hardly deny him 2014 so I guess Sneijder does deserve it for that treble.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2021, 01:49:29 am »
I'd say choosing anyone but Messi for 2012 would be ridiculous. It's the most elite year by a footballer ever. Will never be matched.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2021, 07:17:10 am »
I'd say choosing anyone but Messi for 2012 would be ridiculous. It's the most elite year by a footballer ever. Will never be matched.

You would have difficulty matching it on Football Manager.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2021, 09:17:29 am »
The only challenger for Lewandowski should be Mo Salah, if they give it to Messi then it confirms to me that these are popularity contests and nothing with who is performing best.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2021, 09:27:48 am »
Mo hasn’t been at his best for the entire year, Lewa has, it’s no contest for me.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2021, 09:43:50 am »
The logical move is to move the timing of the award to the end of the season.

But that would mean sharing the limelight with the other awards.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2021, 10:08:56 am »
It was a fantastic award up to 2010.  Just looking at roll of honour and there’s different winners every year, players from the eastern bloc, mammoth achievements represented, legendary names all over the place.  Brilliant potted history of football.

Then you get to the last decade and it’s just ‘who do you like better Messi or Ronaldo?’ plus ‘Griezmann or whoever’s team had a good year, he can be third’.
I think their partnership with FIFa made it a popularity contest but their current voting system is fair. For example, Virgil had more 1st place nominations than Messi which is fair enough.

Offline Gray Hamster

• Not bong eyed but quite fond of little furry things.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2021, 10:23:36 am »
Maybe, but Balon d'Or voting is also typically very anti-premier league and English players.

Ronaldo was the last PL player in PL to win it.

Keegan, Owen, Stanley Mattews and Bobby Charlton are the only English players to ever win it.

Players like Gerrard, Dalglish, Rush and Lampard never won it, even when English teams were dominant in CL/ European cup.

Sure is anti premier league.  Guarantee the soap opera media darling Messi will win it, when it actual fact Lewandowski was twice the player over that period of time.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2021, 09:02:11 pm »
So, can we cancel France football now?

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2021, 09:03:55 pm »
embarrassing

Offline Golyo

• Matchday smoker fond of a good old bashing.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the Jürgen!
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2021, 09:04:22 pm »
It's a sympathy vote.
https://youtu.be/NOKyPmOLcZQ
Listen, we're going to be all right, they've got someone even smaller than me. - Ferenc Puskás before the game against England in 1953

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2021, 09:05:12 pm »
It's a rigged event it amazes me that Messi isn't embarrassed by it, also Ronaldo above Salah you're having a laugh.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2021, 09:06:26 pm »
It’s been a joke for years. It’s not just suddenly got worse.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2021, 09:07:14 pm »
It's a popularity contest. Most voters probably don't even watch football. Ronaldo in 6th and Messi above Lewandoski is scandalous.

Even the goalkeeping award list is awful.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2021, 09:08:39 pm »
Messi could miss a whole season with injury and still win it.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2021, 09:11:13 pm »
Just noticed Bruno Fernandes was 21st :lmao
AHA!

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2021, 09:12:29 pm »
Just noticed Bruno Fernandes was 21st :lmao

Simon Kjaer was 18th btw.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2021, 09:13:08 pm »
Hate to say it but I'm looking forward to Messi retiring so someone else can win it for once

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2021, 09:15:04 pm »
If the Copa America was the deciding factor, it's even worse, and I said this as a South American. It's such a low-level quality competition, where there 2 good teams, 2-3 decent ones, and the rest are absolute shit. A competition which has lost most of its appeal because it's been played every other year for the last decade. But, I guess Messi also had the best-adavanced metrics in the whole universe last year. Absolute joke.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2021, 09:16:16 pm »
Messi should have won it every year 2010 to 2019 so don't really care that he won this one undeservedly.  Honestly it's just all a bit meh.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2021, 09:17:02 pm »
Best goalkeeper? My arse…

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2021, 09:20:37 pm »
It’s been a joke for years. It’s not just suddenly got worse.
Bingo.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2021, 09:22:01 pm »
Lewa has been robbed.  That being said, Messi dragged a terrible Barca side to a half decent finish.  His numbers were perhaps better last year than in the previous couple of years.

But this was his swan song.  He isnt winning in 2022
W

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2021, 09:23:27 pm »
“Football is a lie”
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.