Author Topic: Dune ( 2021 Film)  (Read 12617 times)

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
Dune ( 2021 Film)
« on: September 26, 2021, 07:13:55 pm »
Just been to see it and confirm its ace!  Best made sci fi film I've seen production wise.

As for story...cant tell if its delivered as well as the book  as never read it...but basically its Star Wars meets  Game of Thrones meets The English Patient.

Go see!

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Dune ( 2021 Film)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 10:36:33 pm »
I tried to read the first Dune novel twice and couldn't get past the first quarter of it.

I've been looking forward to this film though, Villeneuve is a great director and the cast is stellar, deffo will be seeing that in IMAX.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Komic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 08:01:17 pm »
Went to see this last night, very enjoyable. Bit slow to begin with but to build the world that they're in takes time. The cinematography is great and the whole film looks amazing. Read the book about 5 years ago and it seemed to follow well but my partner is about two thirds through and said it missed some stuff but I don't think anything overly important.

Sad to see it so far down the forum pages, more people should go see it so they definitely make the second movie

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 09:13:35 pm »
Watched it last night and thought it was excellent. I'd never read the book and didn't see the original, just sort of missed it and then never really fancied it after that. always felt like an "old fashioned" movie.

But like I say, I loved this and really bought into it. I'd have liked a bit more depth on the Bene Gesserit, and a bit more on the Emperor and House Harkonnen. Hopefully get that in part 2.

The scale and score was amazing. Not seen anything as "grand" since the first watching of Star Wars.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 10:48:29 pm »
Saw it yesterday and thought it was excellent.

Really hope they get to make part 2.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 01:40:59 pm »
What a stunning a movie it is, i really hope part 2 is made.

Just epic, the score as well is sublime.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline On Axis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2021, 02:21:32 pm »
Saw it in IMAX last night and it blew me away. Felt pretty faithful to the book. Really hope it does well enough for a part 2.

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2021, 02:39:10 pm »
Really thought this was excellent, will definitely make an effort to go and see it on IMAX when the crowds die down a bit

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2021, 02:58:19 pm »
Really enjoyed it, felt like it flew by despite not realising it was only part one until basically the end.

Spoiler
I was a bit confused as to why house Atreides was considered a threat, did they have a lot of political pull? Their wealth and military both seemed to pale in comparison to Harkonnen.

The plot to trap them seemed a bit unnecessary too? They were sent to a new planet to harvest a hugely important resource, then set up to fail to justify taking them out of the picture, that all makes sense. However they're then immediately attacked before even a single delivery has been missed. Was it all about getting them away from their home planet where they can easily defend themselves and into a location where perhaps the defenses have been sabotaged?
[close]

I've perhaps answered my own questions already but still wondering if I'm missing something.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2021, 04:00:00 pm »
Its great, Villeneuve is just a visionary.  Have a horrible feeling this is going to go down the 2049 (also great) path and underperform and we won’t get the second part.  Leaking online because of the whole on demand/cinema release fiasco will kill it.  Started well prior to leak, seems to be struggling post.  who would of thought ?

Please watch this on the big screen.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2021, 04:34:26 pm »
@Schmidt

You’re right.
Leto was seen as a threat by Emperor, due to his rising popularity among the houses. Emperor wisely chose to appear to be supportive of general opinion and ‘promote’ Leto - while in same move bringing him and his entire family to one planet that is completely unmonitored by satelites. Whatever happens on Arakis - is told only by the winner. Leto understood the trap but gambled on making an aliance with the Fremen. Which never materialised because (not known to Leto) Fremen played their own game.

It was never about spice. Leto was formally only attacked by Harkonens. Emperors army was there undercover to make sure nobody lives to tell.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2021, 05:12:04 pm »
This'll get me back in the cinema for the first time since 2019, I think.

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2021, 11:24:04 pm »
Really enjoyed it, felt like it flew by despite not realising it was only part one until basically the end.

Spoiler
I was a bit confused as to why house Atreides was considered a threat, did they have a lot of political pull? Their wealth and military both seemed to pale in comparison to Harkonnen.

The plot to trap them seemed a bit unnecessary too? They were sent to a new planet to harvest a hugely important resource, then set up to fail to justify taking them out of the picture, that all makes sense. However they're then immediately attacked before even a single delivery has been missed. Was it all about getting them away from their home planet where they can easily defend themselves and into a location where perhaps the defenses have been sabotaged?
[close]

I've perhaps answered my own questions already but still wondering if I'm missing something.

Spoiler
In the book, the Atreides troops under Gurney Hallack and Duncan Idaho were starting to gain a reputation of being almost as good as the Sardaukar. The Emperor was aware however that that Sardaukar were actually in decline and were somewhat living on their reputation

The Atreides were seen as a threat as Leto was very popular with his fellow nobles, which made the Emperor nervous of a revolt (taking the form of forcing a reduction of Imperial power rather than replacing him as Emperor). Giving Arrakis to Leto would make him seem too rich and powerful, losing him friends amongst the noble houses, and setting him to be destroyed by the Harkonnen.

Another side to this is that the Bene Gesserit are trying to arrange things so that the Emperor is replaced by a Kwisatz Haderach, originally intended to be the child of a Harkonnen male and Atreides female. So the Bene Gesserit were planning for the Harkonnens amd Atreides to fight over Arrakis, have one absorb the other, and then gain control of the spice and usurp the Emperor.

[close]

I dunno if I missed this in the movie but
Spoiler
the reason everyone uses swords, is because shield technology has made almost all projectile weapons useless except in assasinations, and atomic weapons are banned. Only a slow-moving blade can penetrate a shield
[close]
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2021, 02:14:44 am »
The Cineworld IMAX we went to thought it would be a great idea to turn the sound up to about 150%. Was uncomfortable to watch in parts, twats.
:D

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2021, 11:35:41 am »
The Cineworld IMAX we went to thought it would be a great idea to turn the sound up to about 150%. Was uncomfortable to watch in parts, twats.

That's usually the first sign of old age :D

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2021, 01:24:46 pm »
Enjoyed this a lot, those 2hr35mins flew by. Would definitely recommend watching this one at the cinema, IMAX even better, as it really looks and sounds incredible. Fingers crossed Part 2 gets made! We're still yet to even see
Spoiler
the Emperor and Feyd-Rautha
[close]
. Fair bit of detail and explanations from the book were missing understandably, pretty faithful to it otherwise. I would've liked to have seen the dinner party they host when arriving on Arrakis, was one of my favourite scenes in the book. Also felt the Sardaukar were underwhelming to how I'd imagined them in the books. Both their appearance and fighting ability.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 01:28:18 pm by Dench57 »
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2021, 02:40:01 pm »
@Schmidt

Spoiler
In the book, the Atreides troops under Gurney Hallack and Duncan Idaho were starting to gain a reputation of being almost as good as the Sardaukar. The Emperor was aware however that that Sardaukar were actually in decline and were somewhat living on their reputation

The Atreides were seen as a threat as Leto was very popular with his fellow nobles, which made the Emperor nervous of a revolt (taking the form of forcing a reduction of Imperial power rather than replacing him as Emperor). Giving Arrakis to Leto would make him seem too rich and powerful, losing him friends amongst the noble houses, and setting him to be destroyed by the Harkonnen.

Another side to this is that the Bene Gesserit are trying to arrange things so that the Emperor is replaced by a Kwisatz Haderach, originally intended to be the child of a Harkonnen male and Atreides female. So the Bene Gesserit were planning for the Harkonnens amd Atreides to fight over Arrakis, have one absorb the other, and then gain control of the spice and usurp the Emperor.
[close]
Thanks, I figured it was political but the movie glosses over that a little, it also made their military appear quite weak given how quickly they're dismantled.

I hope we'll see an extended cut at some point, studios seem to get a bit twitchy once movies go beyond that 150 minute mark, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a decent extra 30 minutes of footage around somewhere that could help with the build up to the attack.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2021, 04:37:11 pm »

I have watched the David Lynch version quite a few times and this is a much better film, Villeneuve is at the top of his game right now, the size and scope of the film deserves the big screen treatment

Hope there’s a sequel at least

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2021, 04:25:04 am »
Must be a thing with Villeneuve's films in the cinema, because I'd the same experience with BR2049. The seats literally shook with the sound in some parts. When K set the claymores off in Vegas, I thought some fucker actually blew one up beside my head.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2021, 08:17:41 am »
.but basically its Star Wars meets  Game of Thrones meets The English Patient.

Thats a brilliant description

I saw the original when the movie came out with Sting in it

was amazed how the 'teaching the boy to fight' scene was almost word for like the original which I assume is word for word from the book

'look down, we have joined each other in death', amazed to see line repeated from the original

thoroughly enjoyed it. slow in places but that slowness makes you appreciate the dollars that went into the production. can't wait for part 2

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2021, 09:15:26 am »
That's usually the first sign of old age :D

I hope not we're all in our 30s ;D

Must be a thing with Villeneuve's films in the cinema, because I'd the same experience with BR2049. The seats literally shook with the sound in some parts. When K set the claymores off in Vegas, I thought some fucker actually blew one up beside my head.

It's definitely a thing with the sound mixing but 2049 never felt uncomfortable to me. We were all wincing during some of the pre-movie stuff. Should have complained but thought it would be sorted for the film.

Luckily there's a copy floating about, cant wait to re-watch. It's a great film, the best sci fi director on the planet. Hard to pick one from Arrival, 2049 and Dune.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 09:17:34 am by Kashinoda »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2021, 07:56:45 pm »
Absolutely awesome!

I watched it in the SuperScreen and it was amazing.

Hands down the best Science fiction film I've seen in years. It was absolutely Epic and the time, detail, attention and love that was put into every single scene was breathtaking.

The cinematography was absolutely stunning. The effects were incredible. The story was true to the book and the sense of absolute awe, wonder, fear and amazement was incredible.

To be honest I really wasn't expecting much, but this was absolutely stunning.

10/10

Incredible. Can't wait for the next part!
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2021, 08:29:31 pm »
Despite also being on HBO Max, Dune had the biggest US openening weekend since Joker which was pre COVID.

Looking good for Part 2 I'd say.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2021, 11:07:02 pm »
Luckily there's a copy floating about, cant wait to re-watch. It's a great film, the best sci fi director on the planet. Hard to pick one from Arrival, 2049 and Dune.

Don't forget Sicario and Enemy. Wonderful director.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2021, 11:17:37 pm »
Just been to see it and confirm its ace!  Best made sci fi film I've seen production wise.

As for story...cant tell if its delivered as well as the book  as never read it...but basically its Star Wars meets  Game of Thrones meets The English Patient.

Go see!

Star Wars and Game of Thrones both owe a debt to the novel Dune.  The writing style of GOT novels is clearly influenced by it, and I don't think there would be a Star Wars saga without it.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2021, 02:56:27 am »
Same here. But reassured myself that it's so grand, the must already be working on part two.

Had no idea the sequel was conditional and now I'm depressed, as I'm sure it'll fall through as we can't have good things.

It's definitely a thing with the sound mixing but 2049 never felt uncomfortable to me. We were all wincing during some of the pre-movie stuff. Should have complained but thought it would be sorted for the film.

Definitely gonna enjoy a rewatch with subtitles too. If only to understand half of what the whispering mum is saying
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 03:27:15 am by Classycara »

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2021, 07:13:22 pm »
Going to see it in an hour. Hollywood Reporter just saying that WB have given the green light for the sequel.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2021, 07:23:47 pm »
Hans Zimmer has said Dune 2 is moving forward and 'Thank Goodness hes got some music left'

Online Dench57

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2021, 07:25:51 pm »
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2021, 08:12:38 pm »
Great news!

October 2023 release so I guess they'll be assembling the cast to start filming soon enough as well.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2021, 08:45:07 pm »
So glad its got the go ahead
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2021, 09:16:05 pm »
Wonder who they'll get to play Feyd. Should be young, but a little older than Chalamet, and a little creepy.
Bill Skarsgard perhaps? His Dad's already playing the Baron Harkonnen.
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Online Dench57

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2021, 09:48:27 pm »
Wonder who they'll get to play Feyd. Should be young, but a little older than Chalamet, and a little creepy.

think this guy would be perfect for Feyd (Eamon Farren)

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2021, 09:58:15 pm »
if we're talking future plot lines not in the film, please could we use spoilers?

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2021, 11:20:16 pm »
Loved it. Was loud as fuck in the super screen Speke but I didn’t mind that, I like it loud but I could see it being a bit much for some.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2021, 01:00:53 am »
Thats a grown ups fleem. The sorta shit you piece together in your head but hope/wish someone can make.

Theres only a few of em but fucking hell theyre worth the wait

Everything about it was superb

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2021, 09:42:09 am »
Bonus!

Was having a poke about on my Kindle and noticed that I'd bought the super-duper Dune pack with every single book in a couple of years ago - probably was on sale.

Starting the journey again. Last time I read it I think was about 30 years ago - I'm a bit older now, so maybe will find it easier to read.

Thems a lot of the old books, Ted.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2021, 11:10:21 am »
Saw this today — it's like watching the imagery in my head from reading the book at the age of sixteen coming to life on the silver screen.

I'd say Villeneuve did well to balance the expectations of readers and initiates alike to the whole story without pandering too much to one side.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2021, 12:22:10 pm »
Don't forget Sicario and Enemy. Wonderful director.

Not watched Enemy but Sicario was phenomenal. Though I was mainly comparing just his Sci Fi films in my post ;D

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2021, 12:40:14 pm »
Planning on seeing this at the cinema with my daughters, but one's told me that she's been told that it'll make little sense if you're not familiar with the story/books.

Is this true? I've never read any of the books, only seen snippets of previous film/TV attempts. The girls, nothing.

Would we be able to just enjoy it as a film and understand it without it seeming overly complicated?
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"