Author Topic: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...  (Read 850296 times)

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
Re: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2020, 01:38:29 pm »
Wow.

Let us know if you get anymore breaking news mate.  :wave

;D

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2020, 01:40:32 pm »
I also think Liverpool should receive their trophy on the first home game after winning the league, and not wait till the last home game of the season as is normally the case, who knows how the world will look like by then.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2020, 01:43:00 pm »
I also think Liverpool should receive their trophy on the first home game after winning the league, and not wait till the last home game of the season as is normally the case, who knows how the world will look like by then.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2020, 01:43:58 pm »
I don't know, I also don't see a situation where we're the only nation to do that though.

It's important to point out that I am not saying that I think this is going to happen, I'm generally of the opinion that football will find a way to keep things somewhat sane during this, but this is nevertheless a discussion on the impact of COVID-19 in sport and this is the worst case scenario for that.

However, if we are to deal in a world where the PL is cancelled, what I think would be the most likely scenario with that would be where some leagues cancel and others do not, and you would think that UEFA, in that scenario, would have a very difficult point to make politically were they to disqualify any nations who did not complete their league season due to COVID-19. You would think that they would give nations the option to either finish the season as normal or find some other, mutually agreeable way to decide who gets into UEFA competition.

As much as I consider myself, mostly, rational, I am willing to admit that this is racking my fucking head. Unlikely to happen? Yeah of course, but if we had managed this kind of league any other fucking year it definitely wouldn't be happening.

Unlikely they'll play behind closed doors, since BT and Sky have forced games behind a paywall it means pubs will be full - exactly what the government doesn't want.

Almost certain they postpone the league games.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2020, 01:44:47 pm »
Unlikely they'll play behind closed doors, since BT and Sky have forced games behind a paywall it means pubs will be full - exactly what the government doesn't want.

Almost certain they postpone the league games.
Government could insist on all games being evening kick offs and pubs being closed by 6 like in Italy.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2020, 01:46:00 pm »
Im in the camp of postponing rather than playing behind closed doors. Even if the season finishes at Christmas and the next one starts immediately after, players can have their annual break now.

Finishing before Christmas might actually work out since the world cup in 2022 will be in December or thereabouts anyway. Have the next season start early 2022 and end about 3-4 weeks before the world cup starts.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2020, 01:46:13 pm »
Government could insist on all games being evening kick offs and pubs being closed by 6 like in Italy.

All of this doesn't account for any type of outbreak amongst players which I think we're going to see sooner or later. As soon as one member of a squad has it - that's it - that team's season is in theory done for up to a month.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2020, 01:46:15 pm »
This is exactly the right thread to contain the loonies who seem to think we're getting screwed some how with this.

Nice Job Alan.  ;D :wave

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2020, 01:46:19 pm »
Im in the camp of postponing rather than playing behind closed doors. Even if the season finishes at Christmas and the next one starts immediately after, players can have their annual break now.

We could be in for some really weird league season calendars. Just spitballing here, but this season might not end til August, I guess, Euros (and Olympics) might be postponed to 2021, and we have that dumbass Qatar World Cup taking up a huge chunk of the 2022-23 season.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2020, 01:47:34 pm »
Saw suggestions on here they'll cancel the season and have a play-off between us and City for the title.

In the unlikely case that this is the "solution" in my opinion we would be justified in refusing to take part.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2020, 01:47:49 pm »
As much as sanity and UEFA aren't usually two words belonging in the same sentence, you would have to ask the question what sort of sane person thinks that EURO 2020 is even going to be any kind of decent tournament if it goes ahead with loads of restrictions in place, empty stadiums, players who potentially haven't played in months. It would likely be absolutely shite.

Surely better to wait, even if it meant an enforced winter break in Europe, then to play a watered down version of it.

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2020, 01:48:00 pm »
if teams cannot literally travel to matches then i can't see how you will complete the tournament.

gutted because we have a team that can compete on both fronts so i don't want the league/cups to end but with the utter disorganisation and asymetric political decisions being made across europe i can see it being suspended.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2020, 01:50:59 pm »
All of this doesn't account for any type of outbreak amongst players which I think we're going to see sooner or later. As soon as one member of a squad has it - that's it - that team's season is in theory done for up to a month.
And we all know a team who are quite economical with the truth.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2020, 01:52:58 pm »
It is good to see that the hysteria around this virus has reached Resident Evil status.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2020, 01:53:51 pm »
It is good to see that the hysteria around this virus has reached Resident Evil status.
;D At least we’re not clogging up other threads.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2020, 01:54:02 pm »

Umbrella Corporation are owned by the Abu Dhabi lot.  :o :o :o

Offline fenre

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2020, 01:56:03 pm »
To be honest, most games should now be postponed. All other countries are now in the beginning of a Italian-scenario, unless drastic measures are taken. They have now locked down everything, but that is maybe too late for them. Most other European countries are heading towards that scenario, so maybe not too late to stop the health service become completely overwhelmed. For me, it is baffling that for example our match tonight is open for everyone.

The underlaying numbers of infection in the early stages of a pandemic in a country is always drastically lower then the real number. WHen Wuhan for example reported 100 new cases each day early on, the real number was closer to 1500 new cases each day.

All sports should now be postponed so that we can keep the curve as low as possible.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2020, 01:58:37 pm »
No worries.  I thought it was important that any impact of COVID-19 on sport should be in the impact of COVID-19 on sport thread.
Whooosh?

Offline fenre

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2020, 01:58:37 pm »

Lets make something clear here. Yes, most people will be ok. However, drastic measures early on is the difference in saving 1000 of lives in your country, especially health workers and people in the risk. It is also the case to decrease the chance for the health system to be completely overwhelmed and consequently effect other areas.

Hysteria we dont want, but people really need to start to take this seriously.

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2020, 01:59:05 pm »

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2020, 02:00:11 pm »
This is exactly the right thread to contain the loonies who seem to think we're getting screwed some how with this.

Joshua v Pulev could also get called off. Then we’ll be the loonies in the boxing thread

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2020, 02:01:56 pm »

is there a thread for when we starting saying our goodbyes to each other?

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2020, 02:02:38 pm »

We are waiting for yous to start that  ;D

Offline Reds Flag

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2020, 02:05:07 pm »
From a Liverpool point of view, it would be so depressingly anticlimactic if we won the league in an empty stadium, for the team and for the fans. I'm desperate for us to beat Everton and Palace and desperately hoping that the situation is still under control enough in 10 days' time that we're able to play Palace at Anfield with fans allowed in.

From a wider perspective, though, it now seems a matter of when, not if, leagues and the CL are suspended Europe-wide. The solution will depend on how long the crisis goes on for, but should a month-long suspension be needed, say, IMO the most sensible solution would seem to be to postpone the Euros and Olympics until next year (and cancel all non-competitive international matches until further notice) and once the suspension is ended complete the season through June/July as needed. That would obviously require a lot of complex discussions and logistics and is far from simple, but it would seem far less disruptive to football in general to bin the Euros and complete league seasons as far as possible rather than leaving leagues throughout Europe having to decide what to do with seasons truncated by 6 or 10 matches, which would inevitably lead to legal disputes over championships and promotion/relegation from clubs that feel hard done by over the outcome.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2020, 02:09:57 pm »
Joshua v Pulev could also get called off. Then we’ll be the loonies in the boxing thread

:D

Empty stadium fight?  ;D

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2020, 02:10:34 pm »

;D

Haha, start one mate. Chops will deliver your eulogy.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2020, 02:12:44 pm »
From a Liverpool point of view, it would be so depressingly anticlimactic if we won the league in an empty stadium, for the team and for the fans.

Up until two days ago I'd agree but now I don't care because I'm genuinely worried that an empty stadium could be the least of our worries, in footballing terms.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2020, 02:12:47 pm »
From a Liverpool point of view, it would be so depressingly anticlimactic if we won the league in an empty stadium, for the team and for the fans.

If it happens I'm gonna force myself to see it as "even as the world succumbs to a fatal virus, our stadium empty and our famous support not allowed to cheer us on, we STILL press on and win the league"

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2020, 02:27:09 pm »
We are waiting for yous to start that  ;D
;D

Haha, start one mate. Chops will deliver your eulogy.
fs-1" border="0

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2020, 02:36:01 pm »
On the brightside, if the CL is cancelled we stay European champions for another 12 months  :D
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline MH41

• Kopite
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2020, 02:47:04 pm »
That suggestion you heard was for Seria A where the top three are separated by a point I think. Not for our league where we are ahead by 25 fuckin' points.  As if we'd agree to a play off with Man city when we are so far ahead.   ;D
I think we should get a 25-0 head start! Only fair. 😂

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2020, 02:47:24 pm »
If we got to the Palace game, with a full stadium, and a chance to win the League on that evening I would be absolutely delighted.

I think that's where I'm at, at the moment.

I do think/hope the Club are discussing when a trophy presentation is going to be and should request that it is at our next home game - even the Palace game. Who knows when we may get a chance to lift it infront of a full stadium. We are going to win, lets get it boxed off as early as we can - including the presentation.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2020, 02:48:42 pm »
I think we should get a 25-0 head start! Only fair. 😂

;D

Only way I'd agree if I was John W Henry.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2020, 02:49:45 pm »
If we got to the Palace game, with a full stadium, and a chance to win the League on that evening I would be absolutely delighted.

I think that's where I'm at, at the moment.

I do think/hope the Club are discussing when a trophy presentation is going to be and should request that it is at our next home game - even the Palace game. Who knows when we may get a chance to lift it infront of a full stadium. We are going to win, lets get it boxed off as early as we can - including the presentation.

For that to happen we have to beat the bitters and you know they'll be up for it. The only games where they really are is against us.  Won't be easy like it was for Chelsea against them.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2020, 02:59:59 pm »
@GuillemBalague
In the next few hours the Spanish FA, LaLiga and the Players Union will meet to discuss the possibility of stopping LaLiga from now on (the FA has cancelled all completions from 2nd B below, the ones they control and want First and Second division also cancelled)

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2020, 03:02:55 pm »
Wonder what he means by ‘cancelled.’

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2020, 03:04:24 pm »
The Aintree Grand National meeting starts on April 2nd, i can see that being called off.
#Sausages

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2020, 03:05:47 pm »
Wonder what he means by ‘cancelled.’

From the replies, someone asked the same and he said "nothing decided yet".

GREAT
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2020, 03:08:37 pm »
Several European federations ask UEFA to postpone EURO 2020 until 2021, in order to complete their respective championships.

The idea is being considered by UEFA.

From some FOX/SuperSport journo on Twitter.

I'd be well on board with that. Seems like the most likely scenario at this stage too.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2020, 03:12:28 pm »
That's way too sensible for UEFA to agree to that.  ;D