Author Topic: Zelda: Breath of the Wild  (Read 29233 times)

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Zelda: Breath of the Wild
« Reply #200 on: February 9, 2018, 10:42:41 am »
I personally thought MM was a better game than OoT, but OoT obviously more iconic due to it being the first Zelda title in 3d.

Same. The brooding melancholic atmosphere in MM is amazing, it's rare that I care so much about the plot and characters in a game.

Spoiler
Was so happy when I got that wedding to happen!
[close]

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: February 9, 2018, 12:35:16 pm »
Same. The brooding melancholic atmosphere in MM is amazing, it's rare that I care so much about the plot and characters in a game.

Spoiler
Was so happy when I got that wedding to happen!
[close]

I felt like the characters were mainly recycled from OoT.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: February 17, 2018, 06:15:18 pm »
Just finished this. Was great. Thought I might still be able to explore the world after finishing but you can't. Might just reload the last save before ganon if I go back to it. Didn't get all the memories, think i missed 2.

On to Mario Oddesey next!

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: February 17, 2018, 06:39:41 pm »
Thought I might still be able to explore the world after finishing but you can't.

Really glad you've said that as I wouldn't have known that. Miles away from finishing like but will make sure I do absolutely everything before I do now
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: February 18, 2018, 03:26:48 pm »
Just finished this. Was great. Thought I might still be able to explore the world after finishing but you can't. Might just reload the last save before ganon if I go back to it. Didn't get all the memories, think i missed 2.

On to Mario Oddesey next!

Oh damn, you cant explore it afterwards? That sucks.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #205 on: February 18, 2018, 04:03:28 pm »
Oh damn, you cant explore it afterwards? That sucks.

I think you can? In the sense that it resets you to just before the final boss fight, so you can keep exploring but there's no 'post-game' state to explore in, which is a shame.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: February 18, 2018, 05:05:49 pm »
I think you can? In the sense that it resets you to just before the final boss fight, so you can keep exploring but there's no 'post-game' state to explore in, which is a shame.

Ahh right, got worried for a moment it just ended and that was that.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #207 on: March 17, 2018, 01:26:41 am »
Have started this and it looks like it is huge with so much stuff to do and find. Will probably take me ages to finish...
And hints for someone completely new to the game and starting? I've done the "tutorial" so far and have been to the first village...

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: March 17, 2018, 06:57:20 am »
Have started this and it looks like it is huge with so much stuff to do and find. Will probably take me ages to finish...
And hints for someone completely new to the game and starting? I've done the "tutorial" so far and have been to the first village...

I was pretty new to Zelda too. I think the one bit advice i'd give is don't go looking for advice unless your really stuck haha. Immerse yourself in the openness of the world, go in which ever direction you like and discover. Pretty much everywhere is discoverable, take your time. Not ever potential encounter has to be an encounter, or not right then at least if you aren't strong enough. Do the smaller side quests, go to the shrines you see in the distance and the towers. You'll usually find something cool on the way to doing those things.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 06:59:03 am by Upinsmoke »

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #209 on: March 19, 2018, 04:53:57 pm »
I was pretty new to Zelda too. I think the one bit advice i'd give is don't go looking for advice unless your really stuck haha. Immerse yourself in the openness of the world, go in which ever direction you like and discover. Pretty much everywhere is discoverable, take your time. Not ever potential encounter has to be an encounter, or not right then at least if you aren't strong enough. Do the smaller side quests, go to the shrines you see in the distance and the towers. You'll usually find something cool on the way to doing those things.
Second this. It took me a long time to get used to the controls and some of the concepts like weapons breaking and cooking ingredients.

Just explore the world and take your time, I got it at Christmas and still haven't completed it. Admittedly I've taken a short break, but it's really a game that benefits from playing at your own pace.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: March 19, 2018, 06:42:00 pm »
Second this. It took me a long time to get used to the controls and some of the concepts like weapons breaking and cooking ingredients.

Just explore the world and take your time, I got it at Christmas and still haven't completed it. Admittedly I've taken a short break, but it's really a game that benefits from playing at your own pace.

I got it at launch and am still playing it, nowhere near done. I do have very little gaming time, but I haven't needed anything else, just a couple of hours on this a week and its still as enchanting as it was, and so much left to explore.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: March 20, 2018, 03:54:40 pm »
I've stopped playing it recently. One of the best parts of a Zelda game for me was finding that special weapon after doing a huge challenge or defeating a difficult enemy. Now no matter what you find you know it will break so it doesn't really have the same feeling. Also I found out there's certain items you can only get with an amiibo etc which is poor imo.

Offline martinsquirtle

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: March 22, 2018, 03:08:11 pm »
Caved and got this. Loving it so far. Never really played Zelda before, so don't really have anything to compare it to, but I adore games like fallout so this is going down a storm.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: March 23, 2018, 09:53:14 am »
Finally got all the shrines and decided it was about time I beat Gannon. Sad to have finished in a way, one of the best games I have ever played, but I suspect we'll see another Zelda game on the Switch at some point

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #214 on: July 5, 2018, 08:02:38 pm »
Finally finished it, having bought it at Christmas. Played it near enough non-stop for the first month, then only sporadically since then. That's pretty standard when I play an open world game really.

Good
*Visually it might be the most impressive game I've ever played. I just loved everything about the art style, particularly the world and character design.
*The music ranks alongside the best of anything I've played too. Certain towns stand out, but my favourite parts were the beautifully minimalistic tones of the open world.
*Most importantly it has all the hallmarks of Nintendo's genius touch. From the freedom to fight and explore in your own ways, to the quirky dialogue and jokes. It all feels like a highly polished animated film rather than a game.

Bad
*Probably just down to me, but I found the controls to be awkward. The abilities you have are incredible, yet it feels hard to utilise them because you simply have so many fiddly options. Especially in combat.
*Whilst I praised the scripted dialogue, the lack of any voice acting outside of cut scenes leaves the world feeling a little lifeless at times.
*Most of the side quests I did were pretty dull. It don't really have any inclination to go back and complete them.
*The ending just felt like such a let down. You speak with Zelda after the battle, which is cool...but then that's it. For such an epic game it felt really anticlimactic and I'm not normally fussy about such things. Ocarina of Time is a much smaller game and has a far more emotionally rewarding ending.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: July 11, 2018, 08:10:59 am »
If you've got a Wii U, it's on sale at Argos for £24.99 now.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #216 on: November 7, 2018, 03:25:47 pm »
I finished this a month ago and I miss it. I think about it often. Ive tried to play other games but I just don't care.
This game was so much more, it felt amazing playing it - much in the way Ocarina of time made me feel.
Unfortunately, now I know I can basically complete it in a quarter of the time without exploring most of the game, I doubt I'll play it again for a long time. 

This is a lovely video about it.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2fPz7kGduT4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2fPz7kGduT4</a>

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: November 7, 2018, 03:51:25 pm »
I finished this a month ago and I miss it. I think about it often. Ive tried to play other games but I just don't care.
This game was so much more, it felt amazing playing it - much in the way Ocarina of time made me feel.
Unfortunately, now I know I can basically complete it in a quarter of the time without exploring most of the game, I doubt I'll play it again for a long time. 

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2fPz7kGduT4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2fPz7kGduT4</a>

Thank you so much for posting that. It was absolutely beautiful and made me sad and happy and happy and sad. YouTube can be amazing at times.

Offline my usenme changed?

• Self-appointed moderator for comic topics
  • Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
« Reply #218 on: November 10, 2018, 10:56:53 pm »

HI Meady, thanks for that wonderful post. As a 34 year old with 3 kids and a mortgage my gaming days have been on hiatus since the Wii. When my kids are old enough, they'll (hopefully!) get the consoles they'll ask for, and I will get to game with them. As a teenager I lost countless hours on OoT. It was amazing. My wife bought me Skyward Sword for the Wii and although I thoroughly enjoyed it, I never got round to finishing it.

When BotW was released, I did what I normally do now to replace gaming: watch people play video games on Youtube. I watched video after video and my god, by hook or by crook I will get a Switch at some point to play this game. In relation to the video you posted, I watched Spirited Away years ago and really enjoyed it, but have watched very little else in terms of Anime. I will be making it my mission now to watch Princess Mononoke now. That video was wonderful.
Mid-Ulster Kopite  ---  BELIEVER

77 * 78 * 81 * 84 * 05 * 19
Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #219 on: November 11, 2018, 08:17:37 am »
Haha. Same here, mortgage wife kids. I hadn’t played really since my N64, still used to dust it off now and again (spending ages re-tuning the tv) and play OOT. Before Botw was out my wife bless her bought me a PS4 for Christmas so I could play the new Zelda (I didn’t tell her). Despite a foray into GTA and the Whitcher, nothing ever grabbed me like Zelda used to. She saw me watching YouTube of botw and asked me why I wasn’t playing it and I came clean. When I watched this video i just couldn’t not buy it. Now I have a Switch and a PS4 like a big pre-pubescent virgin.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: November 11, 2018, 09:43:09 pm »
Still not finished it yet. Don't want to ;D

Conquered my second divine beast. Had it over a year but really taking my time.

Love the feeling of freedom, the systems in the game, the parachute, the locations. Fantastic.

Might do a bit more until Christmas, probably have a break for Red Dead and then return. I just need games with horses in I guess...

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #221 on: November 11, 2018, 10:05:47 pm »

Love the feeling of freedom, the systems in the game, the parachute

Went through a period when if I was on a high point like a hill or a balcony, I briefly felt like I could sail off it with a glider. That and if I saw a flock of birds in the distance I instantly thought their could be a shrine.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #222 on: February 3, 2019, 02:47:56 pm »
Attended a family party last night, the kids were keeping themselves good playing on this on the Switch. Nephew caught me gasping and offered me a go. I was wowed and got really sucked into the world. Looks incredible too. I’ve only recently started getting back into gaming having not really played since before I was at Uni. I’m not exactly time rich (save currently recuperating from a knee op) but am considering getting a switch just for this and Pokemon.

Not played a Zelda since Twilight Princess.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: February 3, 2019, 05:46:17 pm »
It's well worth playing

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: February 3, 2019, 07:55:04 pm »
It's well worth playing

Seconded. It's wonderful.

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #225 on: February 4, 2019, 01:50:59 pm »
Been trying to play RDR2 since I finished it. Im just not arsed about it compared to how much I enjoyed this.

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #226 on: February 15, 2019, 11:45:13 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/_U-_XfDGgDw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/_U-_XfDGgDw</a>

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: February 15, 2019, 01:47:39 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/_U-_XfDGgDw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/_U-_XfDGgDw</a>

Link's Awakening was the first Zelda game I ever played back in 1994 so this one's really special for me and I absolutely can't wait to play it again.  The guy who wrote this game (Yoshiaki Koizumi) is a genius imo, you can see it from the list of games he is credited with. The game is so familiar as a Zelda game and really weird and quirky at the same time.  I love it.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: February 15, 2019, 02:00:27 pm »
Link's Awakening was the first Zelda game I ever played back in 1994 so this one's really special for me and I absolutely can't wait to play it again.  The guy who wrote this game (Yoshiaki Koizumi) is a genius imo, you can see it from the list of games he is credited with. The game is so familiar as a Zelda game and really weird and quirky at the same time.  I love it.

Not the first I played, but first I ever owned myself. This looks brilliant, will deffo be getting a Switch this year now.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #229 on: July 26, 2019, 01:31:43 am »
I've played a fair chunk of Link's Awakening and Twilight Princess before, and as much as I enjoyed Twilight Princess to a point, I was fairly convinced that I didn't really like the franchise. I found the stories to be a bit basic and repetitive and didn't really like the puzzle solving mechanics or combat.

30 + hours of Breath of the Wild later, I'm still not convinced that I'm a fan of the franchise, but this is a gorgeous game. I feel similar about it to how I felt about Skyrim or Red Dead Redemption, but this is a lot less grindy than the former and a lot more varied than the latter. There's a lovely innocence about it that seems cut right through every layer of grown up armour we develop over the years and to our inner child.

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #230 on: July 26, 2019, 02:07:46 pm »
I've played a fair chunk of Link's Awakening and Twilight Princess before, and as much as I enjoyed Twilight Princess to a point, I was fairly convinced that I didn't really like the franchise. I found the stories to be a bit basic and repetitive and didn't really like the puzzle solving mechanics or combat.

30 + hours of Breath of the Wild later, I'm still not convinced that I'm a fan of the franchise, but this is a gorgeous game. I feel similar about it to how I felt about Skyrim or Red Dead Redemption, but this is a lot less grindy than the former and a lot more varied than the latter. There's a lovely innocence about it that seems cut right through every layer of grown up armour we develop over the years and to our inner child.
It's visually stunning, in my opinion it's probably the best looking game ever.

There's so little substance to the actual game though. The main story is pretty weak, the sub quests are virtually non-existent and there's basically no voice acting. The geography of the world itself is stunning, but after a while I wanted something more and there was just nothing to be found here.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: July 27, 2019, 07:35:33 am »

There's so little substance to the actual game though. The main story is pretty weak, the sub quests are virtually non-existent and there's basically no voice acting. The geography of the world itself is stunning, but after a while I wanted something more and there was just nothing to be found here.

I really don't mind the lack of voice acting, and for me I quite like a game where its not just ramming a plot down your throat. I love making all the little connections, and also wondering about where the fuck some of this stuff came from in the landscapes.

You're right that the geography is probably the star of the show. I've just really enjoyed it all, the shrines, the little riddles, climbing the towers, killing those annoying ninja things for mighty bananas, I'm just enchanted by it.

Can't wait for the Link's Awakening remake. And then the sequel to Breath of the Wild. Zelda games will consume more of my time after BOTW!

Although never enjoyed Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword in the past. But Wind Waker, LTTP, Ocarina, MM, all brilliant. Might do another WW playthrough if I finish BOTW before Christmas actually...

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #232 on: August 12, 2019, 04:20:10 am »

Mmm I don't necessarily agree.

I've played a bunch of more involved RPGs, from the Baldur's Gates to the Final Fantasies and Mass Effects. Those games definitely have a lot more overt story content. A lot of dialogue (a SHIT TONNE of dialogue), a lot of NPCs, some twists and turns. But I don't think they necessarily achieve a better narrative outcome than Zelda.

I say this, again, not having really enjoyed previous Zelda games for similar reasons to you. I always thought there wasn't much to them. Collect some Triforce pieces and beat the one dimensional bad guy at the end. Whoopedidoo.

But for whatever reason, I don't feel that way about this game. I think a part of it is that the world building is fantastic in this game. There isn't so much in terms of plot, but the events of the Calamity ago are conveyed beautifully in every town and every ruin. There's a beautiful sense of melancholy and loss that hangs over the world, from Kass's songs, to the ruins of Hyrule Castle, to the people that knew you from a century ago.

And I don't think there's a great deal more than that, but what there is, is wonderfully done.

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #233 on: June 23, 2021, 02:49:15 pm »
Bought a Switch light for travelling and playing this for the first time...what a game.
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #234 on: June 23, 2021, 03:45:36 pm »
Cherish every moment. I wish I could play it again for the first time.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #235 on: June 23, 2021, 07:54:44 pm »
Mmm I don't necessarily agree.

I've played a bunch of more involved RPGs, from the Baldur's Gates to the Final Fantasies and Mass Effects. Those games definitely have a lot more overt story content. A lot of dialogue (a SHIT TONNE of dialogue), a lot of NPCs, some twists and turns. But I don't think they necessarily achieve a better narrative outcome than Zelda.

I say this, again, not having really enjoyed previous Zelda games for similar reasons to you. I always thought there wasn't much to them. Collect some Triforce pieces and beat the one dimensional bad guy at the end. Whoopedidoo.

But for whatever reason, I don't feel that way about this game. I think a part of it is that the world building is fantastic in this game. There isn't so much in terms of plot, but the events of the Calamity ago are conveyed beautifully in every town and every ruin. There's a beautiful sense of melancholy and loss that hangs over the world, from Kass's songs, to the ruins of Hyrule Castle, to the people that knew you from a century ago.

And I don't think there's a great deal more than that, but what there is, is wonderfully done.

How can anyone not enjoy A Link to the Past?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: August 20, 2021, 09:01:58 pm »
This game is fucking incredible. I’ve been playing it the last couple of weeks and literally lose hours just discovering the world I’m in. I don’t even think I’m that far in either but it is unbelievably immersive.

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #237 on: August 21, 2021, 08:48:26 am »
I work on the 12th floor of a building in central london and after I first finished this I kept finding myself gazing out the window wondering which parts of the city I could glide to.

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #238 on: August 21, 2021, 09:42:33 am »
It's outstanding. I bought a LITE to play this two months ago... still exploring and being delighted at discoveries.
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: October 25, 2021, 12:09:38 pm »
I'm still on this, played it loads over the weekend. Still got loads to do, so fucking good.