Author Topic: THE BEATLES - 8 Days/Week & GET BACK (page 2 onwards)  (Read 26811 times)

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: THE BEATLES - 8 Days a Week Premiere
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2016, 06:16:27 pm »
Just found out Jill - it's on at the Light cinema in New Brighton next Monday and Tuesday and maybe other days next week.

:)

I had already booked a seat for next Tuesday funnily enough at the Light, but then got a bit worried when you said that maybe scrapping the concert at the end, so going tomorrow at FACT.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2016, 12:20:32 am »
I had already booked a seat for next Tuesday funnily enough at the Light, but then got a bit worried when you said that maybe scrapping the concert at the end, so going tomorrow at FACT.

Ha ha - brilliant Jill.

Just spoken to two other friends and my cousin who've just seen it and loved it to bits but have each been blown away by Shea Stadium. Also RoseAnn Fino who you might just recall I've been championing on here went to see it in NYC last night and her dad says she is completely mesmerised by it all and simply cannot believe the Shea stadium gig.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2016, 03:13:46 pm »
Seems that the success of the film has taken everyone by surprise

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-beatles-eight-days-a-week-film-20160921-snap-story.html

The only thing I know for sure is that the quality of the Shea stadium performance is that much greater than the hollywood Bowl performance which is available on CD. I guess that might be a factor in what's happening.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 03:15:36 pm by Timbo's Goals »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2016, 09:01:31 pm »
Another thing my daughter picked up on, which had escaped me despite now seeing the thing twice, was how well the documentary conveyed the ridiculous intensity of the group's output and how the territory they were venturing into was uncharted. Also just how rapidly they progressed during that brief initial period.

I think in those initial mad touring years it was 6 amazing mainly self-penned quality albums in 2.5 years plus twelve equally outstanding singles in the same period. Each record was a musical progression on the previous and each tended to extend popular music boundaries. All bar the initial Love me Do single charted at number one.

By the yardsticks of all the artists who came came later right up until the present day, the achievements of the Beatles were so fucking preposterous they could never have really happened. Yet they did. Somehow.

;D
I haven't seen it yet but that's just a generally wonderful short synopsis of them mate.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2016, 09:20:28 am »
I haven't seen it yet but that's just a generally wonderful short synopsis of them mate.

Cheers mate but you do know Philatery will get you nowhere J lad!!

The important thing to grasp is that for anyone who professes to love music I'd say watching it and absorbing the underlying essence of what it all means and where it all slots into the entire popular music/popular culture pantheon is an essential John. Anyone who doesn't see it is missing a huge and indispensible piece of the jigsaw.

Apart from that - it's just absolutely fucking amazing to see - not least the Shea Stadium gig which finally nails them in all their unique pre-studio 'live' glory.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 09:22:04 am by Timbo's Goals »

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2016, 12:49:44 pm »
Just a quick comment saw the film and all I can say is wow, really lived up to the expectations of what I had heard. I just couldn't keep my eyes off the screen, like reliving the whole experience totally thrilling. When Timbo mentioned the song Baby in Black it really excited me as I have long loved many of the Fab Four's B sides. On my ipod I actually made up a list of just B sides which contains the following.

Baby in Black, Rain, Yes It Is, This Boy, Things We Said Today, She's A Woman, I'm Down, We CAn Work It Out, Baby You're a Rich Man, I am the Walrus, The Inner Light, Revolution, Don't Let Me Down, Old Brown Shoe, Come Together. How much quality is there, totally brilliant.

The harmonies on Baby in Black were gorgeous, all those girls screaming their heads off I feel sorry that they never had the chance to listen to it.  :D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2016, 03:25:17 pm »
As someone born in 1986, and went through a few intense years of loving The Beatles when I was around 15-20, this film was another side to them that I had never seen. I had seen the film and a lot of famous footage, but this was something else.

Thought it captured alot of what people have always said about them - their natural aura, their sense of humour and how they just got on with things, making class music.

I knew of the fame they had achieved but I hadn't really stopped to think about how much work they would have put in during those few years. It's not as though they were getting songs handed to them on a plate - they were original. Reinventing as they casually went along. When they stopped touring and went back to just writing music, you can understand how/why the style of music developed - they were maturing and growing in different directions, reflected by the spate of albums after that.

Thought it was really enjoyable, and delighted I managed to find a cinema that still showed the concert after.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2016, 12:15:07 am »
Delighted you both loved it Jill/Ciara.

The B-sides are truly something else Jill. And let's not forget PS I Love You, Ask Me Why and Thank You Girl which may not be the greatest songs ever written but the feelings of nostalgia they conjure up are just so powerful.

Nice insight Ciara from a different perspective - enjoyed reading that.

PS - not forgetting 'I'll Get You' too Jill
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 10:05:38 am by Timbo's Goals »

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2016, 01:43:01 am »
Surprised that it very quickly rushed through the Cavern and Hamburg experiences. However, after watching it you can definitely tell why and how they split up. The pressure to continually produce albums/singles and tour, while remaining in close quarters with the same people and away from other family and friends must have been emotionally and mentally draining.

Offline tbonejones

• Dr. Doolittle
  • Legacy Fan
  • We'll be coming down the road...
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2016, 10:44:14 am »
I thought it was fantastic. Got a lot of chills and laughs, the final gig on top of the London offices was something I'd never heard about. Imagine that, the biggest band in the world playing over your head and just popping your head out and seeing them!

Nice to see Anfield make an appearance also :)
Journo: ''So, let me get this right, train, coach, train, plane.''
Rafa: ''No, coach first because we will not be walking to the train station.''

Don't Buy The Sun - www.dontbuythesun.co.uk

It was poodle. She was rocking a fucking poodle to sleep.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2016, 09:18:30 am »
I thought it was fantastic. Got a lot of chills and laughs, the final gig on top of the London offices was something I'd never heard about. Imagine that, the biggest band in the world playing over your head and just popping your head out and seeing them!

Nice to see Anfield make an appearance also :)

You never saw the B-Sharps episode of The Simpsons?

Offline tbonejones

• Dr. Doolittle
  • Legacy Fan
  • We'll be coming down the road...
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2016, 04:32:45 pm »

Mind blown. Never got the reference! Mind, it must be a decade ago that I saw that episode and then I definitely wouldn't have known what it was referring to. Thanks though, brought a smile watching that!
Journo: ''So, let me get this right, train, coach, train, plane.''
Rafa: ''No, coach first because we will not be walking to the train station.''

Don't Buy The Sun - www.dontbuythesun.co.uk

It was poodle. She was rocking a fucking poodle to sleep.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2016, 11:51:09 pm »
A review from a mate of mine. Certainly in terms of detail probably the best review there's been so far. Pete devours films and plays and knows his stuff.

https://peterviney.wordpress.com/film-theatre-reviews/eight-days-a-week/

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #53 on: October 1, 2016, 08:57:06 am »
Very good review that.

Went to Fact this week to see it and was not disappointed.

As you say Timbo "Kinell"

A must see film. If you lived through those years it brings back so many memories and helped me see how the music developed as their songwriting reached new heights.

Those studio recording sessions must have been so vital with George Martin guiding them initially.

If you were born later it's a history lesson in how they defined popular music through that decade and beyond.

I didn't think I would ever see and hear that Shea concert without the screaming blotting it all out and was shocked that it lasted less than 40 minutes. What a blast though.

We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline sirKennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #54 on: October 6, 2016, 07:32:15 pm »
Saw movie at the Fact today,silver screening ,could swear there were loads of 1960s cavernites in there,great atmosphere and loved the film.

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: October 6, 2016, 10:19:21 pm »
"its been done"
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #56 on: October 7, 2016, 11:35:55 am »
Martin Fitzgerald just posted on twitter this link form the first US tour and I remember hugely enjoying it in the film (the doc is a much higher quality obvs).

The film does a great deal to rehabilitate Ringo for the casual (non-Beatle) fan as a great rock'n'roll drummer, from Paul saying that the first time Ringo played with them and Paul thought 'we're a proper band now', to performances like this.

Look how great Ringo is here, 22 years old and having the time of his life:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xnlvu_i-saw-her-standing-there_music

"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #57 on: October 7, 2016, 12:35:06 pm »
Martin Fitzgerald just posted on twitter this link form the first US tour and I remember hugely enjoying it in the film (the doc is a much higher quality obvs).

The film does a great deal to rehabilitate Ringo for the casual (non-Beatle) fan as a great rock'n'roll drummer, from Paul saying that the first time Ringo played with them and Paul thought 'we're a proper band now', to performances like this.

Look how great Ringo is here, 22 years old and having the time of his life:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xnlvu_i-saw-her-standing-there_music

Cheers for that Ray.

What a fantastic clip that is. The downside is there's not much of George but Ringo is absolutely amazing. What a drummer he was. And Paul and John sharing the mike on the chorus - like on Baby's in Black at Shea - wow.

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #58 on: October 7, 2016, 02:02:04 pm »
So of course I fell down a Youtube rabbit hole there, while looking for a drum version of Rain (Ringo's best drumming).  I ended up with a guy playing the bass part in Rain before it was slowed down.

Damn, could Macca hit a mean groove

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7f7D2_jUkqA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7f7D2_jUkqA</a>

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: October 7, 2016, 05:00:10 pm »
Ringo is absolutely amazing. What a drummer he was.

It's my litmus test for whether people know anything about music, if they roll out the old 'Not even the best drummer in The Beatles' line, I know I can't trust their musical opinion ;D Although Paul is a pretty good drummer as well to be fair. But Ringo, he's the bomb.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #60 on: October 7, 2016, 05:24:53 pm »
It's my litmus test for whether people know anything about music, if they roll out the old 'Not even the best drummer in The Beatles' line, I know I can't trust their musical opinion ;D Although Paul is a pretty good drummer as well to be fair. But Ringo, he's the bomb.

Was a complete twat as far as Rory Storm goes though (and I'm not talking about simply leaving the band)
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: October 7, 2016, 05:38:32 pm »
Was a complete twat as far as Rory Storm goes though (and I'm not talking about simply leaving the band)

Probably, yeah, but then all the Beatles (and about 95% of all musicians to be honest) are massive twats at times.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline eddiedingle

• Kopite
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2016, 06:46:53 pm »
Being a big fan and owning the anthology boxset documentaries, I learned nothing new really. But still enjoyable.

Ringo is a bit of a prat though, "i'm warning you with peace and love"

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2016, 09:42:04 pm »
Being a big fan and owning the anthology boxset documentaries, I learned nothing new really. But still enjoyable.

Ringo is a bit of a prat though, "i'm warning you with peace and love"

Twat of the highest order, the Caldwell family can tell you 1 or 2 stories!
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2016, 11:10:28 pm »
Fucks sake.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2016, 05:19:16 pm »
Deffo worth a watch.

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2017, 04:16:37 pm »
I watched this on a plane last week, the worst place to appreciate this magnificent film, so apologies to Timbo for that. But wow a fantastic movie! It certainly was the gear (if that's how one talks in 60s era scouse?)

The power of those early performances; the showmanship, the harmonies/two singing as one, and the mastery of their instruments, awesome!

Amongst the talking heads Howard Goodall describing Lennon and McCartney as the best songwriters since Schubert and Mozart is eye-opening, and partly explains why The Beatles changed everything. I thought all the talking heads made excellent contributions but particularly Richard Lester (who hasn’t changed a bit in 50 years !) and  Larry Kane.

But probably my favorite bits are them just chatting with each other in Scouse; gear, macca, gear etc. Just great to listen to

The live footage is electrifying - makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, and playing those stadiums without monitors - amazing and I never knew about their refusal to play to segregated audiences in The South, no wonder Paul is still very proud of that. And the collective strength they had was fantastic, as George, I think, says:  "there was only one Elvis", whereas there were 4 Beatles to navigate the madness of Beatlemania.

What a great film - even on a plane  ;D

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2021, 03:06:34 pm »
Peter Jackson's 3 part documentary Get Back, cut from 60 hours of original footage from the Get Back / Let It Be sessions is being released on Disney + on 25 November. It includes the whole rooftop concert on top of the apple building.

Final trailer looks great, but the buzz behind it is sensational. Jackson said how surprised he was by how funny the footage is - even Macca thought it was going to show a miserable breakdown of their relationships, and they're just having fun (with the odd argument, natutrally).

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/06/the-beatles-get-back-exclusive-deep-dive-peter-jacksons-movie

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Auta2lagtw4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Auta2lagtw4</a>

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2021, 04:13:45 pm »
Ooh, looks good. Funny just seeing them interacting normally for some reason.

I’d assumed it was coming out in cinemas for some reason.

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2021, 04:56:33 pm »

I think that like so many projects, it was originally planned for cinema release, then it got hit by covid and ended up on Disney+.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2021, 05:53:19 pm »

That was the original plan, however when cutting it together it was probably impossible to get it to a decent length without removing some really good bits. its now 3 parts all around 2 hours each (including the entire rooftop gig).
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2021, 05:54:26 pm »
Peter Jackson's 3 part documentary Get Back, cut from 60 hours of original footage from the Get Back / Let It Be sessions is being released on Disney + on 25 November. It includes the whole rooftop concert on top of the apple building.

Final trailer looks great, but the buzz behind it is sensational. Jackson said how surprised he was by how funny the footage is - even Macca thought it was going to show a miserable breakdown of their relationships, and they're just having fun (with the odd argument, natutrally).

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/06/the-beatles-get-back-exclusive-deep-dive-peter-jacksons-movie

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Auta2lagtw4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Auta2lagtw4</a>

Can't wait. Just got Disney+ for the grandkids and to watch the last season of Walking Dead. Fucking rip off merchants. Still it'll soften the blow to see this by all accounts amazing documentary.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2021, 09:52:31 pm »
Looking forward to this.

I remember being blown away by the first trailer with Get Back playing all way through it earlier this year.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2021, 12:27:01 am »
This is going to be great. To see the famous rooftop footage spruced up would be enough for me, but it's clearly going to more than that. There's some brilliant people involved in this project...aside, that is, from the greatest band of all time.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2021, 06:59:34 pm »
Yep. Greatest band ever. Can’t wait to see this.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2021, 07:02:30 pm »
 ???
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2021, 07:59:11 pm »
???

... Cant wait to see Peter Jackson's 3 part documentary Get Back
(... not 8 days a week which was several year's ago of course)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Online gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2021, 08:44:25 am »
I would actually pay to watch three screenings of this in cinema , would be magnificent on the big screen .

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2021, 02:58:00 pm »
Giles Martin's done a really stellar job on The Long & Winding Road. Phil Spector's saccharine production isn't so in your face, and Paul's piano and vocals are more present in this mix.

The ultimate mix of the song at long last.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhxvbQO0cxQ&t=148s

Online Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2021, 05:23:59 pm »
Giles Martin's done a really stellar job on The Long & Winding Road. Phil Spector's saccharine production isn't so in your face, and Paul's piano and vocals are more present in this mix.

The ultimate mix of the song at long last.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhxvbQO0cxQ&t=148s

Wow that's absolutely beautiful.