Author Topic: Philips Hue and Lighting Family  (Read 17961 times)

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
  • 5 Times Baby! Make that 6 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Re: Philips Hue and Lighting Family
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2016, 08:56:29 am »
Arrived last week, very happy with it so far!  :thumbup

Offline filthy1980

• tax dodger
  • Kopite
  • conspiracy shite
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2016, 11:05:35 am »
Arrived last week, very happy with it so far!  :thumbup

ah you've gone for the brothel look  ;D

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2016, 12:34:10 pm »

Ha ha! Never thought of it like that...what will the neighbours think?  :P

Offline paul211b

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2016, 09:12:53 am »
Check out other apps like Hue Pro.  They have a lava lamp settings that cycles through colours which is pretty cool.  Also thunder and lightning.

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2016, 11:06:23 am »
Check out other apps like Hue Pro.  They have a lava lamp settings that cycles through colours which is pretty cool.  Also thunder and lightning.

Sounds good, but I'd need the Hue bridge for that though wouldn't I? 

Offline paul211b

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2016, 11:56:50 am »
Sounds good, but I'd need the Hue bridge for that though wouldn't I? 

Yeah would need a bridge,  There are loads about as people buy 3 bulbs packs and always get a bridge included.  For sale for £30 usually.

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2016, 12:42:05 pm »
ok, cheers. I'll put it on the list  ;D

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2016, 05:58:52 pm »
I think ive got the iris.came in a starter pack with a bridge. Works quite well as one of those alarms to slowly wake you in the morning
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline bigweb

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2016, 09:08:35 pm »
Is the best way to get into this reasonabley cheaply to buy one of the £50 quid hue starter kits and a load of the living white bulbs?

If this works I could do most of the house for a couple of hundred quid.

Offline filthy1980

• tax dodger
  • Kopite
  • conspiracy shite
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2016, 08:03:06 am »
Is the best way to get into this reasonabley cheaply to buy one of the £50 quid hue starter kits and a load of the living white bulbs?

If this works I could do most of the house for a couple of hundred quid.

I think so

wait for amazon prime day too as there should be deals on Hue stuff then

also download the hotukdeals app and add a key word alert for "hue" then if there are any offers on anywhere you'll know about them, for instance argos were selling the led strips with £20 off the other day

also if there are any Grand Designs or Gadget Show type exhibitions on near you, Philips normally have a stand and sell products at a slight discount, I went to Grand Designs at the NEC last week and they did a 10% discount

Offline filthy1980

• tax dodger
  • Kopite
  • conspiracy shite
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2016, 03:19:01 pm »
25% Off on Bulbs And Strips Right now On Amaazon

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2016, 11:14:08 am »
What app would you recommend for working with the bridge?

Offline filthy1980

• tax dodger
  • Kopite
  • conspiracy shite
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2016, 01:31:53 pm »

I've only used Philip's own Hue one, it seems good, I've had no issues, but then again I only have 2 bulbs set up so all I do is turn on and off and change colours

there are other apparently but have lots of preset scene options, one reservation about going with an app other then Hue is whether they keep the updates in sync because there maybe occasions where Hue update the bridge but the app developers lag behind

Offline RedmenPhil

• Kemlynite
  • YNWA
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2016, 01:41:10 pm »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA...  :lmao

Lights reminded me of those in a hotel i stayed in Amsetrdam

http://cdn.javamilk.com/img/citizenM-bathroom.JPG

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2016, 02:00:38 pm »
I've only used Philip's own Hue one, it seems good, I've had no issues, but then again I only have 2 bulbs set up so all I do is turn on and off and change colours

there are other apparently but have lots of preset scene options, one reservation about going with an app other then Hue is whether they keep the updates in sync because there maybe occasions where Hue update the bridge but the app developers lag behind

OK, thanks. I was reading the ratings of the App on the play store and they don't look good at all.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2016, 02:13:27 pm »

Some of the third party apps are really poor, I've always gone back to the Hue official app, sometimes use the Hue Disco app for the kids. The lights went down a bomb at the Halloween party yesterday.

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2016, 02:43:03 pm »
Some of the third party apps are really poor, I've always gone back to the Hue official app, sometimes use the Hue Disco app for the kids. The lights went down a bomb at the Halloween party yesterday.

OK, thanks. Isn't it a bit cheeky to charge for that app after spending a lot on the bulbs though...

Offline filthy1980

• tax dodger
  • Kopite
  • conspiracy shite
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2016, 03:13:08 pm »
OK, thanks. Isn't it a bit cheeky to charge for that app after spending a lot on the bulbs though...

I thought the official app is free (on Play Store anyway)

double check you're not looking at from another developer, official app is by Philips

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2016, 03:14:29 pm »
I use 'Hue Pro' which seems ok for choosing a theme and setting the lights on a schedule. Not sure if it was free. Was only a few pennies if paid for ( I know how tight I am!)
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline paul211b

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2016, 06:29:28 pm »
Philips hue app is free.  The good third party one's have a free version but need to pay to unlock most of the features

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2016, 08:39:58 pm »
Yeah the official app is free. There are also what look like third party apps Hue Disco for 3.99 and Hue Halloween for 1.99.

Offline paul211b

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: November 1, 2016, 09:37:31 am »
My 2 x 2m second hand V1 strips arrived today,  now need get power above my kitchen cabinets somehow.

Offline paul211b

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2016, 02:18:18 pm »
Which one is best to get if I want one of the free-standing ones that works with an app (and not a remote, have seen them recently)?
JFT97

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2016, 12:28:09 pm »
Gen 3 bulbs £29.99
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Ambiance-Wireless-Lighting-Bayonet/dp/B01LVUZQNX

Back to £50 apiece now :(

In other news, I've been reading about a simple hack for the Amazon dash button. They're 99p right now for Amazon prime members. 'Should' be able to build a nice little on / off button .Or maybe just an 'on' button....

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2016, 05:00:39 pm »

In other news, I've been reading about a simple hack for the Amazon dash button. They're 99p right now for Amazon prime members. 'Should' be able to build a nice little on / off button .Or maybe just an 'on' button....

They are not worth it at full price mate. I looked into those too, but I read an article about how many presses the battery lasts for and it wasn't many. It worked out costing around 2p every time you turned your lights off.

At £1 I might have a go, do you have a link?

The hack I saw needed a server running to watch the request on the port. I wasnt sure if it was worth that effort. If you could re programming the url to the hue API it would be better

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2016, 06:48:13 pm »

What are you wanting to use the button for? Hue lights? If so it seems like you are trying to hack something to create a switch for a product that is designed to get rid of switches.... unless I'm missing something.  ;D

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2016, 10:09:42 pm »
What are you wanting to use the button for? Hue lights? If so it seems like you are trying to hack something to create a switch for a product that is designed to get rid of switches.... unless I'm missing something.  ;D

Yeah, its the gadget fiend in me. Didnt know about the limited life span. Ive usually got something running as a server so in theory it should be fun. Or I could leverage ifttt
Craig , just search dash button on amazon. I expect ill have one spare. If youd like one pm me an address, and ill post it to you. Just don't go ordering me bagloads of stuff !

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2016, 10:13:23 pm »
Yeah, its the gadget fiend in me. Didnt know about the limited life span. Ive usually got something running as a server so in theory it should be fun. Or I could leverage ifttt
Craig , just search dash button on amazon. I expect ill have one spare. If youd like one pm me an address, and ill post it to you. Just don't go ordering me bagloads of stuff !

I know what they are, I just don't get why you would want to hack one to use it as a switch for a light - there's no point in getting Hue if that's what it's for! I assume your house had standard light switches before you got Hue...

Unless you want to carry around a bunch of Dash buttons in your pocket for each light so you can do it without walking to the switch???

Thanks for the offer but I don't really get the appeal of them to be honest! (Also I'm not Craig  :P)

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2016, 02:41:52 pm »
I know what they are, I just don't get why you would want to hack one to use it as a switch for a light - there's no point in getting Hue if that's what it's for! I assume your house had standard light switches before you got Hue...

Unless you want to carry around a bunch of Dash buttons in your pocket for each light so you can do it without walking to the switch???

Thanks for the offer but I don't really get the appeal of them to be honest! (Also I'm not Craig  :P)
Yes, I know you're not Craig. I just couldn't be arsed to start a new post.

I've got a hue light in my room (separate Iris thing). It comes on in the morning to wake me up, I want't to turn it off without faffing on my phone. I'd do this either when I wake up , or when I'm ready for sleep.
Not going to be a life changer for sure .......

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2016, 03:44:16 pm »
Argos Ireland had the starter kit for 123 euros. Only just saw it, all gone :( That was 3 colour bulbs, Hue Bridge too. Gutted!

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2016, 05:56:30 pm »
Yes, I know you're not Craig. I just couldn't be arsed to start a new post.

I've got a hue light in my room (separate Iris thing). It comes on in the morning to wake me up, I want't to turn it off without faffing on my phone. I'd do this either when I wake up , or when I'm ready for sleep.
Not going to be a life changer for sure .......

Ah fair enough.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2016, 12:51:51 am »
Fed up of paying for bulbs all the time and fancy the idea of mood lighting plus all the extras but don't like the idea of a bare bulb. To the people who have them do you just have the bare bulbs in a basic bulb holder or a more discreet light fitting. Any help would be appreciated.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2016, 11:58:40 pm »
Fed up of paying for bulbs all the time and fancy the idea of mood lighting plus all the extras but don't like the idea of a bare bulb. To the people who have them do you just have the bare bulbs in a basic bulb holder or a more discreet light fitting. Any help would be appreciated.
Ive got the iris, its more of a spotlight/lamp , so may be worth you having a look at that.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2016, 09:46:48 pm »
Ive got the iris, its more of a spotlight/lamp , so may be worth you having a look at that.

Thanks mate will do.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline paul211b

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2016, 10:49:22 am »
The sensor is £5 off on amazon.  Cheapest I have seen it.

Offline paul211b

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2016, 10:51:46 am »
The Go also on sale on amazon.  Nice little light these.  Can unplug them from the mains and use wirelessly.

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2017, 07:33:26 pm »
56% off the Iris on Amazon right now. 40 quid. Great deal if anyone was thinking of getting one.

Offline paul211b

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2017, 09:52:02 am »
Argos have the home25 code for 20% off working at the mo.