Author Topic: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [PC/PS4/XB1]  (Read 107346 times)

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [PC/PS4/XB1]
« Reply #120 on: May 20, 2015, 08:25:32 pm »
Think it means the first fight when you wake up under the tree

Ah right ok. I'll go have a look.
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: May 20, 2015, 09:46:35 pm »
I started on Normal and I've only done the Noonwraith, but it was almost too easy if anything.

Used the trap spell a couple of times along with a few sword swings and she was done.

I was aimlessly swinging and wondering why she took no damage until i accidentally used the trap spell.
Realised then that she only takes her solid state when she's inside it. Really nice game mechanic and makes you read the bestiary when you come up against new monsters.

Offline RedRedTom

• Knows how to get you there. Finding his thrills on Denmark Hill
  • Legacy Fan
  • Luis Garcia, he drinks sangria
« Reply #122 on: May 20, 2015, 10:14:40 pm »
So I'm a bit pissed off that this isn't actually an open world game at all.  I've just done the bit early on where you get your instructions from the emperor and want to leave the palace and see where I am, but I have to fast travel back to White Orchard?  Eh?  For Skyrimers this would be like getting to whiterun's jarl via a cutscene, speaking to the Jarl then having to teleport back to Riverwood rather than walking into whiterun proper.  Also apparently white orchard is a self contained environment?  So you can't just set off in a particular direction, you go so far then the game won't let you go any further, if you want to do that you have to fast travel.  Am I missing something?
Luis Garcia... tries his luck........

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: May 20, 2015, 10:58:29 pm »
So I'm a bit pissed off that this isn't actually an open world game at all.  I've just done the bit early on where you get your instructions from the emperor and want to leave the palace and see where I am, but I have to fast travel back to White Orchard?  Eh?  For Skyrimers this would be like getting to whiterun's jarl via a cutscene, speaking to the Jarl then having to teleport back to Riverwood rather than walking into whiterun proper.  Also apparently white orchard is a self contained environment?  So you can't just set off in a particular direction, you go so far then the game won't let you go any further, if you want to do that you have to fast travel.  Am I missing something?

The map is split into regions, each region is huge, don't see what the problem is really.

If they had all regions as one giant map then i doubt it'd be on 1 disc.

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #124 on: May 20, 2015, 11:40:24 pm »
For Skyrimers this would be like getting to whiterun's jarl via a cutscene, speaking to the Jarl then having to teleport back to Riverwood rather than walking into whiterun proper. 

If it's an open world, if I basically help one side to win the civil war and their leader still treats me like a peasant and says the same shite as before, then I'd be happy if the Witcher 3 wasn't an open world... ;)

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #125 on: May 21, 2015, 12:13:07 am »
It's an open world game like Shadow Of Mordor is , same thing. Having so much fun with this.

Getting pissed off at people calling me though when i'm playing it.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: May 21, 2015, 12:14:29 am »
Just installed it and played for a bit. It's certainly a looker, and I'm surprised at how well it performs too with so much detail on screen.

Offline RedRedTom

• Knows how to get you there. Finding his thrills on Denmark Hill
  • Legacy Fan
  • Luis Garcia, he drinks sangria
« Reply #127 on: May 21, 2015, 12:31:56 am »
Yes in fairness I've realised that it is in fact more open-world than I thought - I just find it a little immersion breaking to have to fast travel to certain places rather than walk up to them (ie like the cities in Skyrim where you had to go through a gate, and it was effectively a separate area).  If I'm going back to the palace, or I want to go to White Orchard, I should be able to ride there surely?  Anyway, enjoying it a lot more now I've got over my own twatishness.

Luis Garcia... tries his luck........

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: May 21, 2015, 02:01:48 am »
On PC how do you use the crossbow?

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: May 21, 2015, 04:33:28 am »
Will tell you one thing that is really really annoying me. The utterly complete lack of blacksmith/weaponsmiths around. Specially when i've run out of repairs on my weapons :(

Oh and glitched "?" not happy with that.

Offline scouser4eva

• but is Eva4Scouser? Wants an old willy
  • Legacy Fan
  • " god wanted west ham to win but gerrard said no "
« Reply #130 on: May 21, 2015, 09:45:23 am »
I've seen that there's a couple of free DLC available at the minute, armour and facial hair stuff. But I can't find it on the store anywhere?

EDIT - Found them here:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-gb/games/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/cid=EP4497-CUSA01439_00-0000000000000001

Just got this armour now still have to pay around 600 coins but gets your armour stat to about 91 at level 5 !

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: May 21, 2015, 11:05:20 am »
Only heard of this on tuesday, been on it non-stop since then. Boss game.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: May 21, 2015, 11:29:30 am »
Only heard of this on tuesday, been on it non-stop since then. Boss game.

Did you just get back from the moon on Tuesday or why haven't you heard of it before? ;)

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #133 on: May 21, 2015, 11:31:31 am »
Not played any of the Witcher games,

Can anybody liken it to any other games? I loved ACII, Arkham, Shadow of Mordor etc however Dragon Age: Inquisition hasn't gripped me yet (I'm only about 8/9 hours in) but that's over a month nearly!

Offline Flash6289

• Legacy Fan
  • €6
« Reply #134 on: May 21, 2015, 11:59:37 am »
Not played any of the Witcher games,

Can anybody liken it to any other games? I loved ACII, Arkham, Shadow of Mordor etc however Dragon Age: Inquisition hasn't gripped me yet (I'm only about 8/9 hours in) but that's over a month nearly!
I have found it has quite a few similarities to Oblivion, Skyrim and even the Fallout series... which is definitely no bad thing! It really is a great RPG.
XBL: Flash6289

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #135 on: May 21, 2015, 03:35:58 pm »
I love the wind on this, its really really brilliantly done. The way the trees and foilage sway in different intensities is fucking astounding.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: May 21, 2015, 03:37:53 pm »
I love the wind on this, its really really brilliantly done. The way the trees and foilage sway in different intensities is fucking astounding.

Honestly it's one of the most visually stunning games I have ever played. Little things just make it worth while.

Still annoyed at the lack of repairs though, and I run out of money faster than a gambling addict on a sure thing.

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: May 21, 2015, 03:56:39 pm »
Yes in fairness I've realised that it is in fact more open-world than I thought - I just find it a little immersion breaking to have to fast travel to certain places rather than walk up to them (ie like the cities in Skyrim where you had to go through a gate, and it was effectively a separate area).  If I'm going back to the palace, or I want to go to White Orchard, I should be able to ride there surely?  Anyway, enjoying it a lot more now I've got over my own twatishness.

Bollocks! I thought it was completely open!
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: May 21, 2015, 04:09:02 pm »
Can you understand this without getting into the previous 2 games?

The reviews look great
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: May 21, 2015, 04:13:52 pm »
Did you just get back from the moon on Tuesday or why haven't you heard of it before? ;)

;D Think i had heard people mention it but never looked into it before. Espescially with it being the 3rd in the series and not touching the first 2.

The reviews look great

Definitely can mate, jumped straight in with no knowledge of the other 2 and you dont feel like you have missed out on anything at all.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: May 21, 2015, 04:18:52 pm »

The reviews look great

Absolutely, you don't need to know anything about the games to play it.

One thing i'll suggest to everyone starting out, and this has happened to me in the previous versions as well. Save the game whenever you do a side mission or complete a "?"

Many time have I done 3 or 4 "?" and then died and found myself back at my last save like an hour ago.

Frustrating as all hell.

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: May 21, 2015, 07:13:12 pm »
Just popping in to say I am super jealous of all you people playing this.

get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #142 on: May 21, 2015, 08:31:57 pm »
This is boss.

I was galloping across country on the horse earlier and the sun was setting - one of those genuine "wow" moments that only some games can illicit.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #143 on: May 21, 2015, 09:37:35 pm »
Absolutely, you don't need to know anything about the games to play it.

One thing i'll suggest to everyone starting out, and this has happened to me in the previous versions as well. Save the game whenever you do a side mission or complete a "?"

Many time have I done 3 or 4 "?" and then died and found myself back at my last save like an hour ago.

Frustrating as all hell.
Not had that, but I've encountered the crashing to the PS4 home screen after passing in a game of Gwent. Had a look online, and it's apparently a thing with consoles, so be careful to save before you enter a game.

Other than that, it's been pretty flawless in-game, where it matters most. Really impressed with how my console's pumping these beautiful expansive visuals out, and the slightly stuttery cinematics I expect will be sorted in a later patch, because it doesn't seem like the machine's struggling at all, it's just something dodgy in there.

The amount of things to do is fantastic - I "cleared" White Orchard by doing absolutely everything on the map before moving on, all the '?'s and side-quests, and then got totally preoccupied with crafting and alchemy. I'm also trying to be good, but there's no black and white moral choices here, and in the end I often have to go with what's in my best interests. It's wondrous high fantasy, but also very grounded.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: May 21, 2015, 10:11:53 pm »
CD Projekt have come out and said they're already working on a framerate and font size fix and expect them to be out very soon.

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #145 on: May 21, 2015, 10:28:39 pm »
Does anyone else's PS4 sound like it's about to take off when you're playing this?
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline scouser4eva

• but is Eva4Scouser? Wants an old willy
  • Legacy Fan
  • " god wanted west ham to win but gerrard said no "
« Reply #146 on: May 21, 2015, 10:31:13 pm »
Okey so I've just become invisible well just a head . Lost all my items / coins and was level 0

After running around for an hour trying to fix it had to restart a save from 2 hours before it happened :( shite

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: May 22, 2015, 01:08:21 am »
I really must pay attention to the level of the quest i'm doing, level 4 taking on a archgriffin didn't end well. Level 33 quest :(

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #148 on: May 22, 2015, 01:30:37 am »
Does anyone else's PS4 sound like it's about to take off when you're playing this?
I've had the fan in mine going crazy with other games in the past, and it prompted me to sit it on a little wire-mesh tray platform thing I made for it (superglued some rubber feet on top so the PS4 doesn't slip), to let the air circulate around and underneath it. Totally stops it overheating, and even games as demanding as this now don't ever have it blowing particularly loud.

I do also wear headphones though, so I wouldn't really hear it unless it was properly struggling. Never gets mad hot anymore though.

Offline RivaGe

• Legacy Fan
  • walk on
« Reply #149 on: May 22, 2015, 09:52:19 am »
Still don't get how the world is made in terms of open-worldness. For example in White Orchard the game won't let me go to these two question marks http://i.imgur.com/wwZHNYa.jpg saying 'it's the end of the world' and teleporting me back  :no

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #150 on: May 22, 2015, 10:09:12 am »
^ That must be a bug, because I've done all of the question marks in White Orchard, including those.

I explored a fair bit, and they restrict access to some of the world the usual way - mountains you can't go over or around, etc. - but I didn't try to go past where the world map stops scrolling, because I didn't want to spoil the immersion by running into invisible walls or whatever.

It isn't really 'open-world' if we're being purists about it, so just consider it a bunch of big explorable environments. The first truly open-world RPG with this much storytelling content and beautiful attention to detail will probably come on 2 blu-rays, and cost significanly more.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #151 on: May 22, 2015, 10:26:51 am »
It's open world in the sense Dragon Age is.  You have lots of large explorable areas, that cover a whole map.  But you can't get from one side of the map to the other, without swapping "areas".

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #152 on: May 22, 2015, 10:57:40 am »
Just wait till the 'open-galaxy' procedurally-generated games start properly hitting the big time (Elite:Dangerous, No Man's Sky, Star Citizen...), and get more and more gameplay and/or story content added to them, that'll really up the ante  ;D

I can live with multiple environments separated by loading screens when it's all been lovingly handcrafted by brilliant artists, as long as the explorable areas aren't boxy (certainly aren't in this). Story-based games have some way to go before they can do away with the seams.

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: May 22, 2015, 11:01:01 am »
It's open world in the sense Dragon Age is.  You have lots of large explorable areas, that cover a whole map.  But you can't get from one side of the map to the other, without swapping "areas".

Depends on how you define open world. For me open world means, that I can do whatever and go whereever I want (even if some areas are not accessible from the start because of story-purposes or because you need a certain level). That's the case with the Witcher 3. You see a building somewhere in the distance, you can go there if you want. I'm not necessarily a fan of the world being split up into different areas connected by a loading/fast-travel screen, but at the end of the day, it's still an open world because you're more or less free to do whatever you want at any given time. They could easily have connected all the areas in the game and would have had a huge map. I'd imagine it all comes down to the technology/engine they're using and whether it would be possible to have all areas "ready" all the time or being loaded "on the fly"...

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #154 on: May 22, 2015, 11:18:51 am »
I'd love an open world game that just dumps you in the middle of the desert or something, no introduction or prologue or anything. You start the game, and the first thing you know you're in the middle of nowhere with no background story or control prompts or anything. After wandering about aimlessly for a bit, coming across a few animals and plants and stuff you can replenish your energy and quench your thirst with (if you're inquisitive enough to try, no hand-holding clues provided), you see structures far off in the distance in various directions, and you need to walk/ride miles to get to them, all unskippable. Then when you get there, the story begins depending on where you ended up.

I guarantee you loads of modern gamers would hate that, but I'd bloody love it. You could hold the player's interest on the long initial journey with lootable corpses and deserted ruins and abandoned camps and other intriguing stuff dotted about (no map though), maybe even meet other wanderers on the way who you can either kill or trek alongside to the structure of your choice in the far distance... only they don't speak your character's language  :D

Offline walshys_mullet

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: May 22, 2015, 11:36:39 am »
Still don't get how the world is made in terms of open-worldness. For example in White Orchard the game won't let me go to these two question marks http://i.imgur.com/wwZHNYa.jpg saying 'it's the end of the world' and teleporting me back  :no

yeah ive done that

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: May 22, 2015, 12:28:26 pm »
I'd love an open world game that just dumps you in the middle of the desert or something, no introduction or prologue or anything. You start the game, and the first thing you know you're in the middle of nowhere with no background story or control prompts or anything. After wandering about aimlessly for a bit, coming across a few animals and plants and stuff you can replenish your energy and quench your thirst with (if you're inquisitive enough to try, no hand-holding clues provided), you see structures far off in the distance in various directions, and you need to walk/ride miles to get to them, all unskippable. Then when you get there, the story begins depending on where you ended up.

I guarantee you loads of modern gamers would hate that, but I'd bloody love it. You could hold the player's interest on the long initial journey with lootable corpses and deserted ruins and abandoned camps and other intriguing stuff dotted about (no map though), maybe even meet other wanderers on the way who you can either kill or trek alongside to the structure of your choice in the far distance... only they don't speak your character's language  :D

We may have disagreed in the Greatest Videogame Character thread, but I always love your game ideas.

How are you not doing this professionally? While games companies seem content to pump out dudebro shooters and loose rip-offs of existing franchises, we've got a one-man ideas machine that could transform the industry here on RAWK. that's about the fourth or fifth idea you've pitched that I would deffo pay full price for based just on the concept.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #157 on: May 22, 2015, 01:43:43 pm »
Cheers man. I'd dearly love to get into that line of work, but my programming knowledge is still pretty limited, and I have no connections in the industry, I only have my ideas and my love for videogames (and I won't be alone there). I'm decent with graphics, but obviously not to the amazing extent seen in modern games, which have whole teams of utterly exceptional talents toiling like mad in dev studios' art departments. I also suspect it's ayoung person's game, tough to break into past your early-20s or whatever.

My best chance I guess would be to devote a great deal of time to working with a few others on actually creating a game. I don't have that to spare at present, but should the opportunity arise, I would jump at the chance to be like the ideas 'glue' in a small indie dev team, that focused on general game concepts, characters, story and design, working alongside a talented programmer or two, a boss practical graphic artist. Hell, I could sort out the sound effects and music and all that myself.

I believe there are games design workshops, but I'll bet they're full of snotty, ruthlessly ambitious college leavers, who'd have some bitchy issues or other with a proper-bearded, experienced grown man who's there for the love of it. Fuck them, like, but I'd nevertheless stick out like a sore thumb, and probably get my contributions ignored. I'll defo make a game someday, though - the thing is, I have these epic cinematic visions in my head of current-gen-quality presentation levels, and the reality would be a lot more humble and rough around the edges. I could work with that though, do something interesting at least with it, if not create a breakthrough masterpiece.  ;)

It's unfortunate that so many studios, who have all the means to make brilliant games, settle for the easy, lazy, quick money. To think there are so many utterly samey, yawnsome franchises that get a full new release literally every year, and yet we're still waiting for The Last Guardian to be released on PS3, which has apparently been in development for 8 years! Guess that's just mainly a case of perfectionism gone mad on Ueda's part, and Sony have shown remarkable faith and patience in not shelving it and still classing it as 'in development', but it shows that adventure games should always be crafted with great love and care, and Ueda is a bona fide genius, his games are so utterly beautiful it's hard to adequately describe. There'll be mourning if it gets cancelled, and the usual suspects all carry on with their conveyor belt of trash regardless.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: May 22, 2015, 01:48:29 pm »
Everyone has to start somewhere mate. Just saying.

Been playing this now for about 15-20 hours over 3 days. I just hit level 5. My map still has soooooooo many "?" on it I don't know where to start. Died a few times cause I get one shotted from some beasts. I finally looked at my quest log and found a whole bunch I missed in White Orchid, so went back and did them.

Ran around for hours trying to find Berbercane fruit to make a Cat potion cause I couldn't figure out where to climb out the well to get into the Baron's place. Finally bought the damn fruit from my 5th merchant.

So much fun. So much to do. Actually quite sad i'm going camping this weekend.

Offline walshys_mullet

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: May 22, 2015, 02:55:33 pm »
So white orchard is a smallish are, that leads to the main map?