Author Topic: Triathlons  (Read 32886 times)

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
  • We must all at least Tri
Re: Triathlons
« Reply #120 on: May 16, 2015, 03:55:29 pm »
Another session this morning, went well, choppy but feeling much more comfortable now.
That's great AA. You sound like you're getting some decent (hardish) swims in which can only stand you in good stead for the race!!
Got my first big Tri of the season tomorrow myself at Belvoir Castle & I must admit, I'm not looking forward to it at all   :(
I just hope I can heed my own advice & stay calm in the swim?? I'll give it 100% though   :wave

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You will look down and the tea will be gone.
« Reply #121 on: May 16, 2015, 08:27:55 pm »

Looks like a beautiful place for an event. All the best with it, like you said earlier, no point in killing yourself in the swim to gain a minute when you can take far more out of the field on the bike.

I've read that it is good to stick with a strong swim group, as if you start with a fast group you're more likely to stick with them, whereas, if you start with a slower swim group you're less likely to push on. Certainly not things that I need to be worrying about with my swimming and I am sure that you're far better educated in the sport than I am.

I guess just executing a solid race is difficult. So much to consider. Weather, positioning, stamina, transitions etc. Keep composed and focused and I'm sure you'll smash it.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll boss it tomorrow. Thanks for the support in this thread too.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 08:31:07 pm by AA1122 »
All around you walls are tumbling down. Stop staring at the ground.

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #122 on: May 18, 2015, 10:45:07 pm »
Well I did the Little Beaver Triathlon yesterday & it was probably the hardest race I've ever done!!  :o
My swim, personally went quite well ie; I didn't panic  but it was the murkiest water I've ever swam in, it was shallow but full of silt!!  >:(
The run from the lake to transition was over 450m long up a grass field which seemed like a mile after swimming & while stripping your wetsuit off!!  30:59 swim time inc. the run to T1
The bike leg was pretty tough going too as it seemed like there was a gale force wind out there that was either in your face or coming straight across you almost blowing you off your bike when you pass any gaps like gates etc. there was also a bugger of a hill to climb twice!  :no which I knew about & which had me in my granny ring & standing at times to relieve my legs a little.  :o That was a two lap bike leg 27mile in total which I did in 1:23:30 which I'm quite pleased with really considering the conditions!  :wave

Now then will I ever learn????  I got pulled up for a bloody helmet violation again  :butt :butt this time it was a stop & go!! I undid my strap just before I racked my bike & got pulled for it!!   grrrrrr  :no

Well then came the run which was probably the hardest run I've done, again a two lap affair with a long drag of a hill to climb twice! I was fighting my demons going up that wanting to walk up it both times but not giving in! My first 5k was 23:23 & the 2nd 5k was 25:23 I could knock at least 4mins of that time as 49mins for 10k is pretty slow but I really did suffer on it!!
Anyway I finished 149th overall & 19th in my age group

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: May 18, 2015, 11:14:04 pm »
Sounds like you're a marked man with regards to the helmet!

Headwinds and hills are my nemesis, trying to race through both must be difficult. Hopefully you've got a flat one lined up soon, so should be a breeze after yesterday!

Still a very respectable time and placing despite all of the conditions. I will happy just to finish mine! Well done.

In other news, left my goggles in the changing rooms...again...idiot!

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: May 19, 2015, 01:22:03 pm »
Had a little ride on my bike on Sunday round Cheshire. Think I joined the Wilmslow Tri by mistake. Ooppss

Seemed a good mix of abilities.

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #125 on: May 19, 2015, 06:53:29 pm »
I'm doing a 'mini' Triathlon tomorrow evening at Holme Pierrpont. Nott'm
It's an open water 400m swim 10k bike & a 3k run which will be great practice for my transitions & making sure I don't incur anymore helmet violations!!!  ;D
It's a series of 4 events staged over the next couple of months! So if anyone of you are in the area & need a little practice Tri this is the event for you!!
Had a little ride on my bike on Sunday round Cheshire. Think I joined the Wilmslow Tri by mistake. Ooppss

Seemed a good mix of abilities.

You coming over to the dark side then Jimmy?  ;D

Sounds like you're a marked man with regards to the helmet!

Headwinds and hills are my nemesis, trying to race through both must be difficult. Hopefully you've got a flat one lined up soon, so should be a breeze after yesterday!

Still a very respectable time and placing despite all of the conditions. I will happy just to finish mine! Well done.

In other news, left my goggles in the changing rooms...again...idiot!
Keep practicing your open water swimming & you'll be just fine AA. Just trust yourself in the swim & remember its the same for everyone matey!  :wave

Here's the link to the events;
http://www.onestepbeyond.org.uk/gotri-nottingham.php

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: June 18, 2015, 10:27:39 pm »
Well everything's been going a bit too well in the run up to Southport. So tonight I decided I would fall off my bike and dealign all the gears and sprain my leg just to liven things up a bit. At a junction of course, no fun without an audience. So annoyed. Hopefully all will be better tomorrow. Off for a bath and try to chill out. Clown.

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #127 on: June 19, 2015, 05:38:25 pm »
Well everything's been going a bit too well in the run up to Southport. So tonight I decided I would fall off my bike and dealign all the gears and sprain my leg just to liven things up a bit. At a junction of course, no fun without an audience. So annoyed. Hopefully all will be better tomorrow. Off for a bath and try to chill out. Clown.
Bugger!! Hope the bikes ok?  ;D
Nah seriously I hope you aren't too injured matey?
I've got a couple of mates coming over to do the Southport Triathlon. It's a marine lake swim too isn't it? Just like swimming in the sea without the waves & swell hopefully!!  :D
Make sure you put plenty of lube on round your neck as the only time I've had a wetsuit 'lovebite' is when I've swam in the sea & they are pretty painful things really!!

My race is tomorrow (Sat) at Rutland, the 'Dambuster' Hopefully I won't incur a time penalty in this one!!   :wave

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: June 19, 2015, 07:28:27 pm »
Bugger!! Hope the bikes ok?  ;D
Nah seriously I hope you aren't too injured matey?
I've got a couple of mates coming over to do the Southport Triathlon. It's a marine lake swim too isn't it? Just like swimming in the sea without the waves & swell hopefully!!  :D
Make sure you put plenty of lube on round your neck as the only time I've had a wetsuit 'lovebite' is when I've swam in the sea & they are pretty painful things really!!

My race is tomorrow (Sat) at Rutland, the 'Dambuster' Hopefully I won't incur a time penalty in this one!!   :wave

I've had a few marks on my neck off the wetsuit, the bodyglide only seems to work if I absolutely pile it on.

Cleaned up the bike this evening, the derailleur is rubbing on the chain in the top gears which will annoy me. But I am not messing around with it anymore now. I will only make it worse, knowing me.

Leg just has a twinge which I am sure I will feel in the run. But nothing I can't run on.

Just a bit unsure of what I actually do when I get there. Going to register tomorrow, so I'll as a few questions. Stupid question but, once you've set up in transition, you can leave can't you? Transition opens at 6am, but the race brief isn't until 7:50. I'm sure it will all be clear when I get there. Just don't want to leave the folks standing about.

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: June 20, 2015, 06:18:59 pm »
Quick question. Do I have to wear the paper race number for the bike, or just the run? Just thinking it will take up time in transition clipping it on.

I will be attaching it to my trisuit, but unsure whether to do it after the swim or bike? I will ask the marshal tomorrow morning of course.

I have my answer. Front and back, turn belt/shirt around.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 06:29:20 pm by AA1122 »

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #130 on: June 21, 2015, 09:42:02 am »
Good luck with your triathlon today AA. I hope it goes without any dramas, just enjoy it matey! 👍

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: June 21, 2015, 03:08:18 pm »
Good luck with your triathlon today AA. I hope it goes without any dramas, just enjoy it matey! 👍

It was great.

http://www.racetecresults.com/MyResults.aspx?CId=61&RId=140&EId=2&AId=80923

Today was really just an experience. I have learnt so much, I know I can improve on this time massively now just from today's experience.

I was stood in transition before the race thinking 'hmm what do I do'. I couldn't get the race tattoos on so did not bother with them. Swim was good, but with all the chaos, my goggles were leaking and I'm already blind as a bat as it is! So my sighting was all over the place, the guy in the canoe pointed me in the right direction toward the end. But swim time was better than expected. I usually swim a mile in about 41 minutes in training. Today was 1500m, but much faster somehow.

Got the wetsuit off easily, which was a big worry pre-race. Took my time in transition, spent about 5 minutes there. Can easily improve on that next time.

Headwinds for the bike. My cycling is p*ss poor. I got dropped by what felt like hundreds of riders. Every couple of minutes a rider was taking me. But, I will  be putting in more miles on the bike over summer anyway and I only started riding with my stick thin legs this year so not too bothered.

I was wearing a t-shirt over my tri-suit with the number on. Next time I will get a race belt, or pin it to trisuit pre swim. This will reduce drag and speed up transitions too. Also I will be buying aero-bars in the next few days. Plus, I will take marathon plus tyres off and put something more slick on. All this should help me speed up. But the main thing is more cycling.

Run was spot on. Legs were tired, but breathing comfortably. Took lots back on the run who had smoked me on the bike.

Enjoyed my first dip into triathlon.

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #132 on: June 21, 2015, 04:24:18 pm »
It was great.

http://www.racetecresults.com/MyResults.aspx?CId=61&RId=140&EId=2&AId=80923

Today was really just an experience. I have learnt so much, I know I can improve on this time massively now just from today's experience.

I was stood in transition before the race thinking 'hmm what do I do'. I couldn't get the race tattoos on so did not bother with them. Swim was good, but with all the chaos, my goggles were leaking and I'm already blind as a bat as it is! So my sighting was all over the place, the guy in the canoe pointed me in the right direction toward the end. But swim time was better than expected. I usually swim a mile in about 41 minutes in training. Today was 1500m, but much faster somehow.

Got the wetsuit off easily, which was a big worry pre-race. Took my time in transition, spent about 5 minutes there. Can easily improve on that next time.

Headwinds for the bike. My cycling is p*ss poor. I got dropped by what felt like hundreds of riders. Every couple of minutes a rider was taking me. But, I will  be putting in more miles on the bike over summer anyway and I only started riding with my stick thin legs this year so not too bothered.

I was wearing a t-shirt over my tri-suit with the number on. Next time I will get a race belt, or pin it to trisuit pre swim. This will reduce drag and speed up transitions too. Also I will be buying aero-bars in the next few days. Plus, I will take marathon plus tyres off and put something more slick on. All this should help me speed up. But the main thing is more cycling.

Run was spot on. Legs were tired, but breathing comfortably. Took lots back on the run who had smoked me on the bike.

Enjoyed my first dip into triathlon.
That's brilliant Andrew!!  :champ
Sounds like you've been bitten by the Tri bug now then, what with looking to upgrade everything already??  ;D ;D
8 mins in transition is a long time & you will definitely save yourself at least 5 or 6 mins now you know what's what!!  ;)
Your run looks strong still even after the swim & bike!
Well done matey, time to celebrate!!   :champ :hally

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #133 on: June 21, 2015, 04:40:04 pm »
http://www.pacesetterevents.com/dambuster-triathlon-live.php
Here's my review of my Tri from yesterday, I thought I'd wrote it already?  ;D
The swim looked very calm & flat early doors but when my wave started it seemed to be really choppy!!  >:(
I also had someone swim over me at right angles almost Teeboning me if you like!!! Well I stopped him & really shouted at him & he couldn't apologize enough (to be fair to him) but my swimming is literally a life & death experience for me as I am a very weak swimmer, so I don't need people doing that to me!!  :o
Anyway I managed to survive the swim & again struggled to get my wetsuit off so T1 was a tad longer than I would have liked.
My bike went very well really & even though my legs kind of felt 'dead' or a little sore & I didn't feel like I was going very fast, I managed to knock nearly 5 mins of last years time which I'm over the moon about!   :thumbup
My T2 was 49 secs so again I very happy with that!!
My run went pretty well to say I was probably the most worried about it before the race! I knocked 2.30 mins off last years time so again pretty chuffed!
I managed to knock over 10 mins off my time from last year which to say I'm happy about is a massive understatement!! I was absolutely buzzing after I finished when I saw my time, I still am to be honest!!!   :champ :champ

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #134 on: June 21, 2015, 04:46:38 pm »
Well done both of you.

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: June 21, 2015, 05:22:20 pm »
http://www.pacesetterevents.com/dambuster-triathlon-live.php

As I just said in the PM, it's a cracking time in what looks like a strong field.

Considering an upcoming Aquathon and I have Liverpool in July next. Then we will have to see. Hopefully there won't be any messing around in transition come July.

Well done both of you.

Thanks!

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #136 on: June 21, 2015, 09:29:12 pm »
As I just said in the PM, it's a cracking time in what looks like a strong field.

Considering an upcoming Aquathon and I have Liverpool in July next. Then we will have to see. Hopefully there won't be any messing around in transition come July.
Cheers matey. It was a strong field as last year I would have finished 13th in my age group as opposed to 30th this year & I would have got a GB spot too as my mate represented GB in Edmonton last year & he was 12secs slower!! Just figures really!!
Thanks Tony

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #137 on: July 8, 2015, 11:10:54 pm »
Well I got an email a couple of days ago to say that I made it on the GB age group squad for Chicago in the Olympic distance Triathlon!!!!  :champ :champ :champ :champ :champ :champ
Well that's almost my dream come true, to qualify, but it was only because someone else dropped out as I was first reserve!  ;D
Unfortunately I can't go after all that which is slightly disappointing but now it's given me more of an incentive to train hard for next year & qualify properly!! (hopefully)   ;D
Just goes to prove that you can achieve almost anything if you put your mind & effort into it as two years ago & wasn't doing anything but getting stoned a couple of times a week, now I have the chance to race for GB in my age group!!  :wave

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: July 8, 2015, 11:20:13 pm »
Wow, congrats Jay!! Why can't you go? Can't you rearrange whatever else is on?
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: July 9, 2015, 08:04:46 am »
Bummer that you can't go Jay but well done on getting selected though.

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #140 on: July 9, 2015, 10:40:45 pm »
Bummer that you can't go Jay but well done on getting selected though.
Wow, congrats Jay!! Why can't you go? Can't you rearrange whatever else is on?
Cheers fellas! Comes down to funds really! But I'll start saving some sneaky pennies ready for next year (if I make it properly)  ;D

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: July 9, 2015, 10:45:13 pm »
Well I got an email a couple of days ago to say that I made it on the GB age group squad for Chicago in the Olympic distance Triathlon!!!!  :champ :champ :champ :champ :champ :champ
Well that's almost my dream come true, to qualify, but it was only because someone else dropped out as I was first reserve!  ;D
Unfortunately I can't go after all that which is slightly disappointing but now it's given me more of an incentive to train hard for next year & qualify properly!! (hopefully)   ;D
Just goes to prove that you can achieve almost anything if you put your mind & effort into it as two years ago & wasn't doing anything but getting stoned a couple of times a week, now I have the chance to race for GB in my age group!!  :wave

Amazing, well done! Shame you can't go. I hope you get another crack at it, would be brilliant just to have the kit with your name on!

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: July 9, 2015, 10:47:34 pm »
Cheers fellas! Comes down to funds really! But I'll start saving some sneaky pennies ready for next year (if I make it properly)  ;D
So to represent your country means you are out of pocket,I thought the idea of the lottery was meant to stop that?

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #143 on: July 11, 2015, 11:25:39 am »
Amazing, well done! Shame you can't go. I hope you get another crack at it, would be brilliant just to have the kit with your name on!
Cheers Andrew. I will definitely be training hard this close season now, especially now I know I can get a slot & hopefully I'll take a proper slot & not because someone dropped out? I'll definitely have to start saving up too as I definitely want to go if I do make it next year!!  ;D
So to represent your country means you are out of pocket, I thought the idea of the lottery was meant to stop that?
It's not quite as glamorous as it seems Tony, you have to pay for the race entry (£265 for the Oly. dist.) buy the GB kit to race in & obviously flights & accommodation, so I was looking at around £2000!!  :o 
I didn't think I'd get anywhere near & thus not saved any money! Hopefully next year will be different?
I still count it as a honour though if I can qualify as like I said earlier, two years ago I would have laughed my head off & thought you were mad if you told me I could represent GB in a race of any description!  :wave

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: July 11, 2015, 08:51:02 pm »
Still find it totally out of order that YOU would have to pay £2000 to represent GB!

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #145 on: July 29, 2015, 08:10:08 pm »
Andrew, did you do the Liverpool Tri & if so how did you get on?

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: August 2, 2015, 12:06:12 am »
Andrew, did you do the Liverpool Tri & if so how did you get on?

Broke my collarbone the week before so I couldn't compete. Gutted. Posted about it in the running thread. Too quick on the brakes and over the handlebars. I haven't trained for a fortnight now sadly. Bone is still moving about so not sure what'll happen when I go back to the hospital in a week or so.

I did however volunteer at the event, I was in transition in the Echo arena for both days. Spoke with loads of people, was good to be able to help out first-timers especially, because I knew a lot of their concerns  and could offer a little advice (whereas most other volunteers hadn't done tris before). I also spoke with Louise Minchin and Graham Bell, neither of whom I knew of until other people told me who they were. Was interesting to watch people in their preparation and transition; felt like I learned something from it.

I had trained so much for it that I just wanted to be there on the day. Really enjoyed the marshalling.  Shame I couldn't compete myself. Unlikely that I'll do another event this year now.

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #147 on: August 21, 2015, 09:09:46 pm »
Broke my collarbone the week before so I couldn't compete. Gutted. Posted about it in the running thread. Too quick on the brakes and over the handlebars. I haven't trained for a fortnight now sadly. Bone is still moving about so not sure what'll happen when I go back to the hospital in a week or so.

I did however volunteer at the event, I was in transition in the Echo arena for both days. Spoke with loads of people, was good to be able to help out first-timers especially, because I knew a lot of their concerns  and could offer a little advice (whereas most other volunteers hadn't done tris before). I also spoke with Louise Minchin and Graham Bell, neither of whom I knew of until other people told me who they were. Was interesting to watch people in their preparation and transition; felt like I learned something from it.

I had trained so much for it that I just wanted to be there on the day. Really enjoyed the marshalling.  Shame I couldn't compete myself. Unlikely that I'll do another event this year now.
Hey Andrew I see you're back running again? How's the collar bone matey?

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #148 on: August 21, 2015, 09:16:17 pm »
Well last night (Thurs) was a pb night for me! I actually did a sub 26min 10mile TT (just, by 1sec  ;D) followed by a 2.5mile brick run after the ride home from the TT, which again I did a pb 17:17 which is 6.34min/mil pace!! Which again for me is brilliant!!  :champ
I was pretty knackered at the end of it though!!

It's the club relays this weekend, I'm only racing on the Saturday though as I'm on my jollies straight after  ;D
If anyone wants to have a go at a Triathlon or as never competed in the relay events then you really must consider doing this, it is brilliant!!

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: August 23, 2015, 10:54:13 am »
Well last night (Thurs) was a pb night for me! I actually did a sub 26min 10mile TT (just, by 1sec  ;D) followed by a 2.5mile brick run after the ride home from the TT, which again I did a pb 17:17 which is 6.34min/mil pace!! Which again for me is brilliant!!  :champ

Sounds like you've got the whole package coming together now. With the race day atmosphere to take it up a notch, shame it is coming toward the end of the season. Do you have much else lined up?

I have only done the couple of runs, I have to go to the hospital this Wednesday for an x-ray. They said they would write out to me but it never happened...?. I feel fine, only done the couple of runs and will do 6-7 miles tonight probably. I fixed up the bike yesterday, but still haven't been out on it; could do with a new seat. Bone is sticking out funny, but I have spoke to a few people who've has this and just left it to heal. All's good, just waiting for the okay from the docs. I've become a right lazy get over the last few weeks. Will be good to be back in the training routine.

Offline ATEAMOFCARRAGHERS

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #150 on: September 20, 2015, 06:22:41 pm »
Making a return next season. Turned my back on the sport after a horrific crash on the bike were I lost a lot of skin when I crashed at Ironman Lanzarote 2013. Major hurdles ahead. Not physically. More up top. Trying to gain confidence by doing small rides. Hard tho.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 06:25:59 pm by ATEAMOFCARRAGHERS »
15/4/89 never forgotten.

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: September 27, 2015, 08:47:26 pm »
Making a return next season. Turned my back on the sport after a horrific crash on the bike were I lost a lot of skin when I crashed at Ironman Lanzarote 2013. Major hurdles ahead. Not physically. More up top. Trying to gain confidence by doing small rides. Hard tho.

Good luck with getting back into it. Sounds like you were at a very good level before that crash. Hope you get some enjoyment out of the bike.

How was East Leake today Jay? I just saw it on Strava.

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #152 on: October 3, 2015, 06:39:21 pm »
Good luck with getting back into it. Sounds like you were at a very good level before that crash. Hope you get some enjoyment out of the bike.

How was East Leake today Jay? I just saw it on Strava.
Just seen this Andrew, East Leake went pretty good, I finished 28th overall & 6th in my age group. So pretty pleased really!!
Are you doing the Liverpool Tri next year? I'm seriously considering it as it's the British Championships & an age group qualifier too!!  :)

What races are you thinking of doing matey?

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: October 4, 2015, 08:38:47 pm »
I finished 28th overall & 6th in my age group. So pretty pleased really!!
Are you doing the Liverpool Tri next year? I'm seriously considering it as it's the British Championships & an age group qualifier too!!  :)
What races are you thinking of doing matey?

Another fine performance. Congrats!

I will most probably do Liverpool, but I cannot confirm at present. I won't be booking anything until around June next year. I just want to keep my training ticking over through the winter, then decide. I would like to do a middle distance next year. After June 16, I should have more free time so I can train more; provided I don't get injured!

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #154 on: October 5, 2015, 07:01:20 pm »
Your running seems to be ok now, I noticed you did a nice 20 miler the other day, decent pace too!!  ;)

Offline gramck24

• Tryathlete
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: October 8, 2015, 12:13:44 pm »
Anyone done or considering IM Vichy next year?

Really tempted.....

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #156 on: January 17, 2016, 07:23:33 pm »
Andrew. Are you entering any of Liverpool or Southport Triathlon's this year matey??

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: January 18, 2016, 06:12:25 pm »
Definitely won't be doing Southport as it's at the penultimate stage of my course. Liverpool is much more realistic with it being in August. This will give me about 2 months time to train. Still can't really commit to anything as I might be moving address around that time too. Really unsure about where I'll be in about 6 months with regards to a few things. Liverpool seems like a good event to target to be honest, but I can't commit at the moment. I'll probably enter later in the year, but cannot guarantee it.

Considering it yourself?

**course you are, qualification!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 07:40:10 pm by AA1122 »

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
« Reply #158 on: January 19, 2016, 09:12:42 pm »
Penultimate stage of your course??
Did you do Southport last year? What's the course like?
Leeds is my 'A' race this year as a couple of my mates are doing it from a new club that we've set up! 'FTS Triathlon Race Team' & I don't want to be too far in last place!!  :o
I'm toying with Liverpool & Southport at the moment, trouble is, all the tri's I'm wanting to enter, the wife is telling me we're at our caravilla!!  :butt

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: January 19, 2016, 10:29:00 pm »
Penultimate stage of your course??

I do a part time OU course and 31st May is my last big assignment after 5 years of it! So glad to get it over. But I will be focussed on that up until then.

What's the course like?

The standard distance is two laps around a little island in the middle of Southport marine lake. The lake is fairly shallow, so the water was fairly warm, should suit you if you struggle with swimming. It’s a little sludgy under your foot as you enter. Clearly marked and pretty easy to follow unless you are blind as a bat; as I am!

The bike is flat as a pancake. If sprinting suits you, you should do well. The only issue could be the wind. There was a headwind as I headed southbound. It’s literally a straight road along the coast, up and down 2 twice, sharp turn in the road at each end. Tarmac was okay, not perfect. 
(A cone marks the turning point, it seemed obvious to me, but a friend from the club said he did an extra mile or so as he did not realise it was a turning point and carried on?)

The run is again very flat.  It is 2 laps around the marine lake, the course was well marshalled so there were no navigating errors on this section. Again, it was a good flat course for a beginner like me.  You can’t go too far wrong if you just stick to the left and keep running. The only problems could come from the wind. It is open to the public, there are a few areas for potential minor bottlenecks on the footpath, but this is highly unlikely and I never saw it happen.

Transition area is fenced off on the main road. Same area for both transitions. Very simple, run in one end out the other.  Mounting lines clearly marked. You’ll be running on tarmac in transition. As you come out from the swim, you run up a small grass verge into transition. 2 helpers there to pull you out if necessary.

Everything is 2 laps for standard distance and one lap for sprint.

You’ve probably seen it already, but race pack is here:
https://www.vitalevents.co.uk/DocStore/FileLibrary/PDFs/Southport%20Marine%20Lake%20Triathlon%20Race%20Pack%202015.pdf

In short, a simple flat course.