Author Topic: Final Fantasy is sh*t hot.  (Read 15371 times)

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
Re: Final Fantasy is sh*t hot.
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2011, 05:16:46 am »
Final Fantasy VII to me is Square's best of all time - perfectly balanced story-writing with console fun filled with sub-quests and deep character development. A big thumbs up for inserting a lot of humour in what was supposed to be a serious story about stopping an alien psychopath - something I haven't really sensed in the later iterations.

Lukewarm on VIII - I happen to find the lead character boring in contrast to a deep and multi-layered Cloud, doing nothing but morn and sulk.

Quistis: Do you think you can do it?
Squal: ...
Quistis: I'm sure you are more than capable.
Squall: ... whatever.

The best part about VIII is the card game - Triple Triad. Travelled all over the place to complete the collections. Imagine winning bit by bit of the 9-square cards only to have the opponent put one in and turn eight of them over! :no

And not to forget Omega Weapon - without the correct weapons and items, you chances of winning is 0%. Might even die without even pulling the first punch.

Didn't play IX.

Played X - was good, a big improvement over VIII. Enjoyable and of course, the amazing CGI.
Played X-2, campy but all right.

XII sucks donkey balls.

Most memorable Final Fantasy moment: when Sephiroth kills Aeris.
That was one the major spoilers you dope :no
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 05:22:46 am by Ken-Obi »
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2011, 12:15:07 pm »
one of my all time favourite games FF7. Cant get into the new one on the Ps3. its just doesnt seem to have any side quests or scope to do other things. Oh and i havent seen any Chocobos.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2011, 04:57:18 pm »
Haven't played one I haven't liked yet. Granted I've only played 7, 9, 10, X-2 and 12 but those last two didn't go down well at all and yet I found them really enjoyable.

Did I hear right that 13 doesn't have any towns?

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2011, 05:04:34 pm »
Imagine a very long corridor.

That's Final Fantasy 13.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2011, 05:15:23 pm »
Imagine a very long corridor.

That's Final Fantasy 13.

Where every character is relatable and likable as a burnt piece of toast.
:D

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2011, 05:17:28 pm »
Final Fantasy VII to me is Square's best of all time - perfectly balanced story-writing with console fun filled with sub-quests and deep character development. A big thumbs up for inserting a lot of humour in what was supposed to be a serious story about stopping an alien psychopath - something I haven't really sensed in the later iterations.

Lukewarm on VIII - I happen to find the lead character boring in contrast to a deep and multi-layered Cloud, doing nothing but morn and sulk.

Didn't play IX.

Squall: "'..."

*2 minutes later*

Repeat 3000 times, there you have Final Fantasy 8.

How have you not played 9?

Offline Ken-Obi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2011, 05:23:59 pm »

*2 minutes later*

Repeat 3000 times, there you have Final Fantasy 8.

How have you not played 9?
No mate. I didn't have a console back then, only got to touch X about two years after it was released on my cousin's set before he sold it off. Played VII and VIII on the PC.

My mates and I still talk about parts of VII over and over nowadays - only shows how great a game it was.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2011, 05:28:56 pm »
No mate. I didn't have a console back then, only got to touch X about two years after it was released on my cousin's set before he sold it off. Played VII and VIII on the PC.

My mates and I still talk about parts of VII over and over nowadays - only shows how great a game it was.

Should download FF9 and run it on ePSXe emulator on PC, it's up there with 7.

For me SquareEnix have tainted FF7 by milking it so much, don't get me wrong I loved Advent Children but it didn't fit right with the feel of the game and cheapened it somewhat. Not to mention the spin off games, they should have just (and should do) remade it and have done with it.

Offline DM Red

• no it wasnt a knee jerk - just a jerk....
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2011, 05:44:03 pm »
was the OP talking about the FF game that came out earlier last year?

i have that but i havent opened it yet. i was gonna trade it in. it still has the plastic around the case. would it be worth opening up and playing?

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2011, 05:47:34 pm »
was the OP talking about the FF game that came out earlier last year?

i have that but i havent opened it yet. i was gonna trade it in. it still has the plastic around the case. would it be worth opening up and playing?

I was posting about all but that game, if you like grating your brain and eating it on toast, then play.

Offline DM Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2011, 05:50:53 pm »
^^oh ok

also does anyone know if they accept game for trade in if the seal hasnt been broken? at Game or Gamespot for example?

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2011, 10:13:42 pm »
Final Fantasy 7 = the best video game of all time.

8 comes in at second then 10 then 9.  I thought the gameplay for 12 was immense but was never really gripped by the story.

Agree with the original post as well even though I love the open-ended RPGs as well like Oblivion and Fallout.  What I don't like about them is how the enemies level with you, it kind of cheapens the whole experience of building your character.

There was nothing like working hard to have seriously badass materia in 7, or junctioning with hard-earned ultima magic in 8, to then go and lay waste to some of the biggest baddies in the game!

Offline DM Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2011, 11:21:48 pm »
yes absolutely. they probably prefer that because then they would just sell it as new knowing gamestop. fuck them

thing is, i read before that if you got to trade in a game that hasnt been opened and the seal is still intact, they might thinks its stolen. i guess im not gonna get any extra for trading it in without being opened so i might as well check it out at least.

Offline Jizumonkey

• Main Stander
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2011, 10:34:27 am »
Final Fantasy 7 = the best video game of all time.

Same here :)  Whenever I go back over all the games I've ever played - the hours with mates on Tekken 3, the WoW raids, the UT frags.. if I could go back and do them again for the first time it'd be FF7 I'd choose.

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2011, 12:32:48 pm »

That was one the major spoilers you dope :no

I think after 14 years it's no longer necessary to spoiler plot details and pretty much everyone in this thread has played it. But then you went and quoted it making you just as guilty of crimes against all humanity ;)

So I bought FF7 on PSN after reading this thread and have already sunk 10 hours into it (brilliant way of avoiding the transfer shite). Got to say the graphics have stood up to the test of time better than I thought they would. They're actually pretty good in places, the pre-rendered backgrounds are rich and detailed, the video sequences and battles all decent enough still. The thing that lets it down is the plain 3d models of characters running around the world (with blobs for arms and hands for example), the PS3 smoothing helps but it's still not great. Of course the music is still great.

This is what I'm talking about, the drawn background still looks good, the characters not so much.

Also when playing it as a kid I don't really think I appreciated the themes presented in the plot - so far I've joined an extremist group and helped them bomb two reactors which provoked the government into destroying our home slums but at the same time framing us for it. That depth just washed over me when I was 13/14. Some of the dialogue can be a bit cheesy but I'm rolling with it. Cloud doesn't seem bitchy at all so far, defo no where near Squall.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2011, 01:03:38 pm »
I think after 14 years it's no longer necessary to spoiler plot details and pretty much everyone in this thread has played it. But then you went and quoted it making you just as guilty of crimes against all humanity ;)

So I bought FF7 on PSN after reading this thread and have already sunk 10 hours into it (brilliant way of avoiding the transfer shite). Got to say the graphics have stood up to the test of time better than I thought they would. They're actually pretty good in places, the pre-rendered backgrounds are rich and detailed, the video sequences and battles all decent enough still. The thing that lets it down is the plain 3d models of characters running around the world (with blobs for arms and hands for example), the PS3 smoothing helps but it's still not great. Of course the music is still great.

This is what I'm talking about, the drawn background still looks good, the characters not so much.

Also when playing it as a kid I don't really think I appreciated the themes presented in the plot - so far I've joined an extremist group and helped them bomb two reactors which provoked the government into destroying our home slums but at the same time framing us for it. That depth just washed over me when I was 13/14. Some of the dialogue can be a bit cheesy but I'm rolling with it. Cloud doesn't seem bitchy at all so far, defo no where near Squall.

Well the character models suit Barret in all honesty!! But yeah they're a major drag unlike FF8 and 9 which you could pickup and play without really noticing; and yeah the pre-rendered scenery is pretty timeless, some truly fantastic environments which help immerse you into the world.

Might have had more luck emulating it on a PC as you can tweak more, but when the game is as good as it is then it really doesn't matter too much!

I never completed FF7, I had it saved before the final boss after 2 weeks solid play and my friend lost my fucking memory card. I've gone back and played FF9 3 or 4 times but I'm still going to hold out for a remake of 7.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2011, 03:50:54 pm »
FF7 with FF7 crisis core upgrade would be amazing.

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #58 on: February 1, 2011, 03:53:39 am »
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline Carra23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: February 1, 2011, 04:12:20 am »
7 was the best for me, bought it recently for the PS3 from PS store.

Loved the Chocobo breeding, KOTRT Summon and Clouds final 'Omnislash' was excellent viewing.

Wasn't overly keen on 13.
Sent from my laptop using my fingers to type

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: February 1, 2011, 04:17:40 am »
Never played 7 but will get round to it at some point.

Wish they'd do a full HD remake of it though with updated character models and graphics....everything else kept the same though!

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #61 on: February 1, 2011, 04:47:38 am »

Wish they'd do a full HD remake of it though with updated character models and graphics....everything else kept the same though!
honestly, the only way i'd be happy with them doing that is if Square enix don't put their appaling voice acting on it. But they would if they re-did it. Just have the text and nothing else. I hate the voice acting in most of their latest things (star ocean, Nier and FF13), they're all cringworthy, whiney shits.

i couldn't take seeing the characters from ff7 as littel emo twats, would ruin it utterly for me.
Gratitude

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: February 1, 2011, 04:48:40 am »
honestly, the only way i'd be happy with them doing that is if Square enix don't put their appaling voice acting on it. But they would if they re-did it. Just have the text and nothing else. I hate the voice acting in most of their latest things (star ocean, Nier and FF13), they're all cringworthy, whiney shits.

i could take seeing the characters from ff7 as littel emo twats, would ruin it utterly for me.

That's what I'm saying mate, keep everything else the same (gameplay mechanics ect) but just update the graphics based on the character models in the game.

It'd sell shit loads IMO.

Offline Carra23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: February 1, 2011, 04:48:54 am »

7 almost cost me my marriage, was hooked on it first time round.
Up all day and night on it back then, wife hated the music.

On the subject of music, this from FF8 was quite pleasant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNefNLOHVYk
Sent from my laptop using my fingers to type

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: February 1, 2011, 04:52:49 am »

7 almost cost me my marriage, was hooked on it first time round.
Up all day and night on it back then, wife hated the music.

On the subject of music, this from FF8 was quite pleasant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNefNLOHVYk

On the subject of music, I only ever played Final Fantasy X and X-2 (What a waste of time X-2 was!) and this tune has stuck with me for years.

Think it's one of the most moving pieces of music I've ever heard in a video game to date:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CPHbLpppIR0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/CPHbLpppIR0</a>

Offline Ken-Obi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: February 1, 2011, 07:08:37 am »
I'm not for HD remakes of 7, mind. As mentioned before a lot of humour that exists in the game is there because it's deadpan, you can't see it in their faces. Remember the bit at Costa del Sol when Barret dresses up as a sailor and the marshmallow comment? It would lose its charm if everybody looked like HD versions of Squall or Lightning sulking - it just won't fit.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #66 on: February 1, 2011, 07:43:08 am »

i couldn't take seeing the characters from ff7 as littel emo twats, would ruin it utterly for me.

But, their dub for FF12 was pretty damn good... also I'm sure they'd stick with the same voices they used in the FF7: Advent Children movie, which weren't half bad to be honest.

On the subject of music, I only ever played Final Fantasy X and X-2 (What a waste of time X-2 was!) and this tune has stuck with me for years.

Think it's one of the most moving pieces of music I've ever heard in a video game to date:

To Zanarkand is a great piece! For all the annoyances of X and X-2 both had stellar sound tracks, if you can grab the Piano editions for both games do it.

This is probably one of the best pieces of music I've heard, been trying to learn it for a while:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/yT8CHUA-aMM?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_GB" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/yT8CHUA-aMM?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_GB</a>

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #67 on: February 1, 2011, 07:56:29 am »
now who the fuck puts up the music form the FF series on here. Cheers you biff, now ive got this massive urge to waste ten hours a day playing it again :)

oh, and as gay as this sounds but was i the only one who shed a tear when Aeris died?
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: February 1, 2011, 07:57:33 am »
If your into that kind of music then I highly suggest checking out an old game called Eternal Sonata on the 360.

The whole game is based around the life of Frédéric Chopin and the soundtrack is stunning to say the least.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: February 1, 2011, 08:03:05 am »
now who the fuck puts up the music form the FF series on here. Cheers you biff, now ive got this massive urge to waste ten hours a day playing it again :)

oh, and as gay as this sounds but was i the only one who shed a tear when Aeris died?
Why would shedding tears at the scene or atmosphere of sadness be homosexual?

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #70 on: February 1, 2011, 08:32:26 am »
Why would shedding tears at the scene or atmosphere of sadness be homosexual?

Ha! I cried when:

Spoiler
Cait Sith sacrificed himself.... only for the twat to come back alive!
[close]

Fuck it, FF games turn me into an emotional wreck... don't get me started on FF9 or 10 endings!

Now to balance this post
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/oiXaT_1I-vw?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_GB" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/oiXaT_1I-vw?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_GB</a>

Offline Alpherah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: February 1, 2011, 11:34:17 am »
6,7,8,10 were just out of this world. 9 was good also .. but if the others were 10/10 then 9 was "only" a 8.5/10 .. still very worth playing!

Regarding FF7 when Aeries (sp? its been too long!) gets killed .. i wasnt so much attached to the character but was left thinking "okay, what the hell? how are we going to save everyone now christ sake!" was really confused. What made 7 great was the huge amount of things going on and plot twists, everyone has their own agenda but right at the last it makes sense how everything and everyone are tied together.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #72 on: February 1, 2011, 09:30:28 pm »
But, their dub for FF12 was pretty damn good... also I'm sure they'd stick with the same voices they used in the FF7: Advent Children movie, which weren't half bad to be honest.

To Zanarkand is a great piece! For all the annoyances of X and X-2 both had stellar sound tracks, if you can grab the Piano editions for both games do it.

This is probably one of the best pieces of music I've heard, been trying to learn it for a while:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/yT8CHUA-aMM?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_GB" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/yT8CHUA-aMM?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_GB</a>
12 was decently dubbed Kash, but it's their recent ones i'm fearful of when anyone ever talks of a FF7 remake. Everything that they did last year (bar maybe nier which wasn't badly dubbed, just not great) was fucking shit. Star Ocean was as irritating as they could possibly make it in both Japanese and english and ff13 was fucking diabolical for the voice acting.

I love advent children, especially the longer blue ray release, but doing a movie is different to voice acting cutscenes, especially for one of the greatest games of all time which had no voices in it at all. I don't want to hear anyone doing Barrett or cloud in that game setting (or any of the other characters)

If they gave me a setting where i could choose between voice acted cutscenes and text boxes, then cool, knock yourselves out. But they won't. SE are right up their own arses these days and it's a massive shame.
Gratitude

Offline N-Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: February 1, 2011, 09:45:07 pm »
Love the live orchastrated versions heres a FF7 one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzz5cVt70j8&feature=related

Offline N-Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: February 1, 2011, 09:46:51 pm »
Terra's theme is probably my fave though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsGA0Aiq6uA

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #75 on: February 1, 2011, 09:58:01 pm »
Zanarkand (Main theme) is my favourite. It's one of the reasons I rate FFX.

Offline RedRabbit

• Rampant but without the batteries.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #76 on: February 4, 2011, 05:08:59 pm »
I bought FF X again recently as it was a game I loved first time round. Was a bit diappointed to be honest, seemed better the first time. However, I read this thread last night and got the buzz again, so just went into Amazon and bought VII, VIII, X-2 and XII. Productive week ahead.  ;D
Couldn't get IX. Well I could, but it was too expensive in comparison to the others and will probably leave it off till I play the others.
Can't wait now.

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #77 on: February 4, 2011, 05:31:55 pm »
20 hours in now and I'm at the Gold Saucer. Chocobo racing is brilliant.

That is all.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #78 on: February 4, 2011, 05:40:44 pm »
just went into Amazon and bought X-2 Productive week ahead.

There's no need for that mate :(

How much was FFIX by the way? It's the only PS1 Final Fantasy I don't own, despite it being my favourite.

20 hours in now and I'm at the Gold Saucer. Chocobo racing is brilliant.

That is all.

Update appreciated brah :)

Offline N-Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: February 4, 2011, 05:50:36 pm »
I bought FF X again recently as it was a game I loved first time round. Was a bit diappointed to be honest, seemed better the first time. However, I read this thread last night and got the buzz again, so just went into Amazon and bought VII, VIII, X-2 and XII. Productive week ahead.  ;D
Couldn't get IX. Well I could, but it was too expensive in comparison to the others and will probably leave it off till I play the others.
Can't wait now.

Yeah i got FF6,7,8,9,10 and 12 ony my laptop since reading this thread  :) i already own them all but they're at home and im in uni.

Nostalgia threads ftw.