Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 127186 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #160 on: May 10, 2009, 11:04:44 pm »
Thankfully, in the Universe outside the Killer_Heels parallel universe, humble men and women are allowed to try again, and redeem themselves if they have ever faltered.

He hasnt really faltered though has he seeing as his films and shows make a shit load of money so really, he is a massive success.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #161 on: May 10, 2009, 11:19:49 pm »
He hasnt really faltered though has he seeing as his films and shows make a shit load of money so really, he is a massive success.

I meant faltered in the sense of having failed to tickle the inter-plantary artistic tastebuds in Killer_Heels parallel Universe.

To be honest I've never even seen any of his movies of TV shows before so don't care ... he's delivered a good piece of sci-fi entertainment with this film.

It even has a green alien chick who is a bit of a slag that Kirk cops off with. This is called entertainment.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: May 11, 2009, 12:11:05 am »
Saw this yesterday, not really a trekkie but watched quite a few of the episodes due to my dad being a major fan (he's saw almost every single episode) and quite like all the movies.

Thought that this was a brilliant movie, really well done to help re-invigorate the star trek franchise, great casting, brilliant Special Effects, was a bit let down with the ending though, as the whole movie seemed to go great until the ending which came and went so quick, I felt an empty space left.

I'm hopeful that there will be a sequel to this and many more to come to to try and tie in more with the series as it would be a must see for me!

:wave

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #163 on: May 11, 2009, 12:44:36 am »

Thought that this was a brilliant movie, really well done to help re-invigorate the star trek franchise, great casting, brilliant Special Effects, was a bit let down with the ending though, as the whole movie seemed to go great until the ending which came and went so quick, I felt an empty space left.

:wave
just out of the cinema, and this is my thoughts exactly, was nearly a great movie...

Offline Slave

• shit joker - shit vicki vale too
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mmm, angel cake.
« Reply #164 on: May 11, 2009, 02:26:12 am »
Top quality entertainment.

I thought the first half in particular was superb with the way they introduced the characters and like others have said the casting of Spock, Scotty and especially Kirk and Bones was inspired. Add to that a half decent storyline, loads of explosions, some cracking CGI and a piping hot Zoe Saldana and you've got yourself a fucking good movie.
It is most odd.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #165 on: May 11, 2009, 02:34:56 pm »
Klingons for the sequel, please.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: May 11, 2009, 02:39:28 pm »
Spoiler
...as pretty much the whole film is an alternative timeline  :) . (For Trekkies like me the alternative timeline that this is set in could be either a blessing or a curse to normal Trek canon. The only thing that is added to the usual Trek universe is the Romulan Sun going nova and the disapearance of Old Spock from that universe. Its vital, if this film is to become part of Trek canon and or lore that a sequel sets right the correct timeline.)
[close]
Spoiler
Old Spock came back from 130 years in the future. TNG was set 80 years after TOS (which I'd assume would have been 10 years or so after this film), so the destruction of Romulus and dispappearance of Spock happened after any of the tv shows or films. I think I have that right.
[close]

Offline Manila Kop

• TRYING HARD TO FIT IN OOTER
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Greatest Fighter in the World
« Reply #167 on: May 11, 2009, 03:14:54 pm »
There's apparently a prequel comic book which explains away a lot of my complaints about the movie's plot.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Countdown,_Number_One
The infallible wank stain
Lolzies. More chance of a wank off the pope than beating United, I'm afraid. It is beyond Benitez, apart from when they were at their lowest ebb, when we knocked them out of the FA Cup. They certainly aren't anywhere near there now.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: May 11, 2009, 05:47:31 pm »
Spoiler
Old Spock came back from 130 years in the future. TNG was set 80 years after TOS (which I'd assume would have been 10 years or so after this film), so the destruction of Romulus and dispappearance of Spock happened after any of the tv shows or films. I think I have that right.
[close]

Spoiler
This film is set in 2258, and the last Star Trek in the timeline (Voyager) finished up in 2377, so you're right, Spock came back from a point further than that, so technically it's within the timeline... looking forward to seeig this
[close]

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: May 11, 2009, 05:49:19 pm »
Cheers Circa.

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: May 11, 2009, 05:50:49 pm »
I thought Chris Pine was OK, but just the opposite regarding Quinto as Spock. I think he embodied him as a young Spock perfectly. With the sequels I'm sure they will grow into the roles.

However, you have hit on one thing about Quinto .... the voice. Nimoy's voice had this gravelly, deep presence. Maybe that is what you thought was missing about his version of Spock. But for me personally, he was excellent.

Agree with you both on Kirk and Spock. I thought Quinto did a really good job of playing Spock.
With regard to the voices, I think they were always going to have to be different.
With Chekov, Scotty etc., a roughly similar accent was all that was needed, since they were basically generic accents to begin with.
But for Spock (and Kirk as well), I don't think it was possible for the actors to talk like the originals without it just sounding like a piss take.

Overall, I thought the film was good. I think they got the balance right between trying to do something new with the series, without completely reinventing everything.

The only thing was that I felt there was a few bits to do with Nero that didn't completely make sense
Spoiler
Why, for instance, does his "mining vessel" have the firepower to destroy 7 Federation ships in a short space of time?
And given the power of his ship, why does Nero need those codes from Pike? And once he's got them why is Pike kept alive?
[close]

Offline Manila Kop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: May 11, 2009, 05:58:43 pm »
The only thing was that I felt there was a few bits to do with Nero that didn't completely make sense
Spoiler
Why, for instance, does his "mining vessel" have the firepower to destroy 7 Federation ships in a short space of time?
And given the power of his ship, why does Nero need those codes from Pike? And once he's got them why is Pike kept alive?
[close]
There's apparently a prequel comic book which explains away a lot of my complaints about the movie's plot.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Countdown,_Number_One

The comic book explains it.  Short version is it got outfitted with stolen Borg technology.
Lolzies. More chance of a wank off the pope than beating United, I'm afraid. It is beyond Benitez, apart from when they were at their lowest ebb, when we knocked them out of the FA Cup. They certainly aren't anywhere near there now.

Offline GIRed

• I know what the fuck im talking about, so shut up and maybe you'll learn something.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hey, there were Skittles in there!
« Reply #172 on: May 11, 2009, 07:31:14 pm »
Not a Trekie..its mostly for sci fi geeks and losers (the late 20th century star trek that is) but this was a greaat movie

SImon Pegg...killed in this..saved the movie really.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 07:33:44 pm by GIRed »
"You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you...." -Ike

...09/10...6/19

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: May 11, 2009, 11:08:25 pm »
The comic book explains it.  Short version is it got outfitted with stolen Borg technology.

Cheers. You see, I wouldn't have minded if they'd have just dropped a line or two into the film by way of an explanation.
Though I guess at the same time, that could have raised even more questions.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: May 11, 2009, 11:18:46 pm »
Who would have thought that Chris Pine, from his glorious days in 'The Princess Diaries 2' and 'Just My Luck', would get so much praise from Trekkies and action film fans!

He is fit though and I guess you have to start somewhere
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 11:21:40 pm by killer_heels »

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: May 11, 2009, 11:20:16 pm »
Simon Pegg...killed in this

Was a bit skeptical when I first saw his name on the cast listing, didn't think he'd be able to pull it off at all, but, I'll admit I was pleasantly surprised at how well he did!

Did anyone else laugh when they saw that Kirk was really tryin to get into the she-hulk? ;D

Offline Okkervil

• Smells... love me love my gas
  • Legacy Fan
    • Support The Retired Greyhound Trust.
« Reply #176 on: May 12, 2009, 12:12:10 am »
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
This film is set in 2258, and the last Star Trek in the timeline (Voyager) finished up in 2377, so you're right, Spock came back from a point further than that, so technically it's within the timeline... looking forward to seeig this
[close]
Circa put that pretty much perfectly. One of the things that draws me to Trek is its large canological lore and history. I find that very appealing in a lot of fiction for some reason? Its probably what draws me to Tolkien too.

Talking of timelines, for anyone who can be arsed to read it, here is a far from perfect, but not bad Star Trek timeline...

Spoiler

nabbed from Wikipedia!

Millions of years ago

* c. 6 billion years ago
          o The Guardian of Forever is formed.[2]
    * c. 4 billion years ago
          o A humanoid civilization seeds the oceans of many planets with genetic material, which would lead to the development of humanoids on many planets.[3]
    * c. 1 million years ago
          o Sargon's people explore the galaxy and colonize various planets, possibly including Vulcan.[4]

[edit] 1st millennium

* c. 4th century
          o The Vulcan Time of Awakening. In the midst of horrific wars on Vulcan, the philosopher Surak leads his people, teaching them to embrace logic and suppress all emotion.[5]
          o The Dominion is founded in the Gamma Quadrant by the shapeshifting race known as the Changelings. [6]
    * c. 9th century
          o Kahless the Unforgettable unites the Klingons by defeating the tyrant Molor in battle, and provides his people with teachings based on a philosophy of honor.[7]

[edit] Pre-20th century

* c. 1570
          o The ancient Bajorans use solar sail ships to explore their solar system, and at least one reaches Cardassia.[8]

* 18th Century
          o The Suliban homeworld becomes uninhabitable. Detained (ENT episode)

* 18th century
          o The Preservers transport various Native Americans to a faraway planet.[9]

* c. 1871
          o The Cardassian Union is established.[10]

* c. 1893
          o "Time's Arrow" (TNG)

[edit] 20th century

o "The City on the Edge of Forever" (TOS)
          o Several humans are secretly abducted by aliens and brought to the Delta Quadrant, including long lost female pilot, Amelia Earheart. "The 37's" (VOY)
          o "Storm Front" (ENT)
          o Three Ferengi crash land in the Nevada desert, and are held by the U.S. Government at a secret base for scientific study. "Little Green Men" (DS9)
          o A Vulcan scout ship visits Earth, according to a story told by T'Pol (which may or may not have been a true story; see episode entry). "Carbon Creek" (Enterprise)
          o Captain Braxton's 29th century Federation timeship Aeon crashlands on Earth. "Future's End" (Voyager)
          o "Assignment: Earth" (TOS)
          o "Tomorrow is Yesterday" (TOS)
          o Apollo 11 lands on the Moon (real-life).
          o Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
          o the Eugenics Wars start[11]
          o the Eugenics Wars end[11]
          o "Future's End" (VOY)
          o Voyager VI is launched [12]

[edit] 21st century

o The interstellar probe Nomad is launched. [1][13]
          o The past events of "Carpenter Street". (Enterprise)
          o The first successful Earth-Saturn spaceprobe mission takes place. [1][14]
          o The world's first self-sustaining civic environment Millennium Gate which became the model for the first habitat on Mars, completed in Portage Creek, Indiana. ("11:59", Voyager)
          o Sleeper ships are made obsolete.[15]
          o The reunification of Ireland
          o The past events of "Past Tense" (DS9)
          o Ares-IV, a manned mission to Mars is launched.[16]
          o The spaceship Charybdis makes an attempt to leave the solar system.[17]
          o World War III ends and the Earth is left devastated by the nuclear carnage of it. Scientific advancement continues, however.[18]
          o The past events of Star Trek: First Contact. Zefram Cochrane makes the first human warp flight with the Phoenix. This attracts the Vulcans and they make first contact with humans.
    * c. 2065
          o The SS Valiant is launched.[1][19]
          o the unmanned interstellar warp probe Friendship 1 is launched[20]
          o the colony ship SS Conestoga is launched. It would found the Terra Nova colony.[21]
          o Earth begins to recover from its nuclear war.[22]
          o Future Enterprise chief science officer T'Pol is born on Vulcan.

[edit] 22nd century

o Jonathan Archer is born in upstate New York on Earth.[23]
          o Zefram Cochrane who now is residing on Alpha Centauri sets off for parts unknown and disappears. Some thought he was testing a new engine. After an exhaustive search, it is believed that Cochrane has died. He becomes one of the most famous missing people in history.[24]
          o Hoshi Sato is born. [23]
    * 2151-2155
          o The events of Star Trek: Enterprise take place.[25]
    * 2156-2160
          o The Earth-Romulan War is fought between the United Earth and its allies, and the Romulan Star Empire. The war ends in a stalemate though the Romulans are defeated at the Battle of Cheron. The Romulan Neutral Zone is established.[1]
          o The United Federation of Planets is founded by Earth, Tellar, Andoria, and Vulcan.[26]
          o Sarek, Federation diplomat and father of Spock, is born on Vulcan.[27]
    * 2160s to 2196
          o The Daedalus class starship is active.[28]

[edit] 23rd century

o Montgomery Scott is born in Scotland.[29]
          o Leonard McCoy is born in Georgia on Earth.[30]
          o Spock, the son of Sarek and the human Amanda Grayson, is born on Vulcan.[31]
          o James T. Kirk is born.[32]
          o Hikaru Sulu is born in San Francisco.[33]
          o Uhura is born in the United States of Africa.[34]
    * 2245-2250
          o The USS Enterprise, a Constitution class vessel is launched under the command of Robert April, on a five-year mission of exploration.[1]
          o Pavel Chekov is born to Ukrainian parents.[35]
          o After a refit, the USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) is launched on a second five-year mission under Captain Christopher Pike.[1]
          o The events of "The Cage".[36]
          o The events of Star Trek (2009) take place.
    * 2261-2264
          o The USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) undergoes a major refit, increasing its crew complement from 200 to 400.[1]
          o Boothby, groundskeeper and counselor at Starfleet Academy, is born.
    * 2264-2269
          o James T. Kirk is captain of the starship Enterprise on a historic five-year mission.[1]
          o The events of "Where No Man Has Gone Before".
    * 2267-2269
          o The events of Star Trek: The Original Series take place.
          o 2269
                + The USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) returns from its five-year mission under the command of Captain James T. Kirk and enters major refit while Kirk is promoted to Admiral at Starfleet Command.
          o The events of Star Trek: The Motion Picture.
    * 2271-2276
          o The upgraded USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) embarks on a five-year mission under the command of Admiral James T. Kirk.[1]
          o Around this time the USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) is retired from active duty and assigned as a training vessel in orbit of Earth.[1]
          o The events of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.
          o The events of Star Trek III: The Search for Spock. The USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) is destroyed to prevent it from falling into Klingon hands.
          o The events of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.
          o The USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-A) is launched.
          o The events of Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. (Note that this film apparently takes place very nearly after the fourth film, as evidenced by Scotty's complaints about repairing the ship after its shakedown cruise, which was depicted at the end of Star Trek IV. Star Trek V would then take place in early 2287, with the events of Star Trek IV spanning most of 2286, with several months passing after Kirk's return to the future to account for the preparation of the Enterprise-A and Gillian's training for her space assignment.)
          o The events of Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. The Enterprise-A is slated to be decommissioned shortly afterwards.
          o The USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-B) is launched. James Kirk is presumed killed.

[edit] 24th century

o Jean-Luc Picard is born in LaBarre, France on Earth.[37]
          o The Tomed Incident.[1][38]
          o Beverly Howard is born in Copernicus City, Luna.[37]
          o Benjamin L. Sisko is born in New Orleans, Louisiana on Earth.[1]
          o Jean-Luc Picard becomes captain of the USS Stargazer.[1]
          o Geordi La Forge is born in the African Federation, Earth[37]
          o William T. Riker is born in Valdez, Alaska on Earth.[1]
          o Deanna Troi is born on Betazed.[37]
          o Kathryn Janeway is born in Bloomington, Indiana on Earth.[citation needed]
          o Tasha Yar is born in a failed Federation colony on Turkana-IV.[1]
          o Worf, son of Mogh is born on the Klingon Empire homeworld, Qo'noS.[1][39]
          o Julian Bashir is born.[40]
          o The Galaxy class development project is officially given the greenlight by Starfleet Command. [41]
          o The Enterprise-C, under the command of Capt Rachel Garrett, is destroyed defending a Klingon settlement on Narendra III under attack from Romulans.[1][42]
          o Due to the Enterprise-C 's sacrifice, a new era of more-open communication begins between the Federation & the Klingon Empire.
          o Worf's parents are killed in the Khitomer attack. Worf (age 6) is adopted by human parents.[1][43]
          o Annika Hansen is born in Tendara Colony, to Magnus and Erin Hansen
          o Annika Hansen is assimilated by the Borg.
          o Worf is the first Klingon to enter the Starfleet Academy.[1]
          o USS Galaxy (NX-70637), the prototype Galaxy class is launched. [41]
          o USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-D), the third Galaxy class starship (Following the Galaxy and Yamato) is launched from Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards in orbit of Mars, and becomes the Federation's new flagship.
    * 2364-2370
          o The events of Star Trek: The Next Generation.
          o The Borg Assimilate Captain Jean-Luc Picard - the Battle of Wolf 359 is fought in Sector 001. The battle results in the loss of 39 Starfleet vessels and over 11,000 lives with the borg continuing to Earth. Picard is rescued and the borg cube is destroyed via the actions of the Enterprise-D
    * 2369-2375
          o The events of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.
          o The events of Star Trek Generations. The USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-D) is destroyed - the stardrive section by a warp core breach; the saucer section containing the crew makes a forced landing on Veridian III. The ship is subsequently declared a total loss.
    * 2371-2377
          o The events of Star Trek: Voyager
          o "Caretaker: the USS Voyager is stranded in the Delta Quadrant.
          o Sovereign-class USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-E) launched.
          o The events of Star Trek: First Contact.
    * 2373-2375
          o The Dominion War is fought. After devastating losses on both sides, The Dominion surrenders to the Federation. With the Klingon military in ruins, and the Cardassian Union shattered, The Federation and Romulan Empire emerge from the conflict as the only major powers with the influence to affect Alpha quadrant politics.
          o The events of Star Trek: Insurrection.[44] Dialogue in this film and in the DS9 finale "What You Leave Behind" place the chronology of this film as during that episode, after the final battle of the war but before the treaty signing ceremony. Most notable in the film is Worf's ability to leave the station to join the Enterprise, as well as a line about Federation diplomats being involved in Dominion negotiations, and the Federation's willingness to work with the Son'a, who are established as a Dominion ally during the war.
          o With the help of a future Admiral Janeway, the U.S.S. Voyager returns to the Alpha Quadrant. ("Endgame")
          o The events of Star Trek Nemesis, resulting in the death of Lt. Cmdr. Data.[45]
          o According to Star Trek, Romulus is destroyed when its home star goes Supernova.
          o According to Star Trek: Countdown, Spock and Nero are flung into the black hole after it is used to destroy the Supernova.
[close]
To make men Socialists is nothing, but to make Socialism human is a great thing. - Oscar Wilde

Offline Slave

• Legacy Fan
  • Mmm, angel cake.
« Reply #177 on: May 12, 2009, 01:09:47 am »
Circa put that pretty much perfectly. One of the things that draws me to Trek is its large canological lore and history. I find that very appealing in a lot of fiction for some reason? Its probably what draws me to Tolkien too.

Talking of timelines, for anyone who can be arsed to read it, here is a far from perfect, but not bad Star Trek timeline...

Spoiler

nabbed from Wikipedia!

Millions of years ago

* c. 6 billion years ago
          o The Guardian of Forever is formed.[2]
    * c. 4 billion years ago
          o A humanoid civilization seeds the oceans of many planets with genetic material, which would lead to the development of humanoids on many planets.[3]
    * c. 1 million years ago
          o Sargon's people explore the galaxy and colonize various planets, possibly including Vulcan.[4]

[edit] 1st millennium

* c. 4th century
          o The Vulcan Time of Awakening. In the midst of horrific wars on Vulcan, the philosopher Surak leads his people, teaching them to embrace logic and suppress all emotion.[5]
          o The Dominion is founded in the Gamma Quadrant by the shapeshifting race known as the Changelings. [6]
    * c. 9th century
          o Kahless the Unforgettable unites the Klingons by defeating the tyrant Molor in battle, and provides his people with teachings based on a philosophy of honor.[7]

[edit] Pre-20th century

* c. 1570
          o The ancient Bajorans use solar sail ships to explore their solar system, and at least one reaches Cardassia.[8]

* 18th Century
          o The Suliban homeworld becomes uninhabitable. Detained (ENT episode)

* 18th century
          o The Preservers transport various Native Americans to a faraway planet.[9]

* c. 1871
          o The Cardassian Union is established.[10]

* c. 1893
          o "Time's Arrow" (TNG)

[edit] 20th century

o "The City on the Edge of Forever" (TOS)
          o Several humans are secretly abducted by aliens and brought to the Delta Quadrant, including long lost female pilot, Amelia Earheart. "The 37's" (VOY)
          o "Storm Front" (ENT)
          o Three Ferengi crash land in the Nevada desert, and are held by the U.S. Government at a secret base for scientific study. "Little Green Men" (DS9)
          o A Vulcan scout ship visits Earth, according to a story told by T'Pol (which may or may not have been a true story; see episode entry). "Carbon Creek" (Enterprise)
          o Captain Braxton's 29th century Federation timeship Aeon crashlands on Earth. "Future's End" (Voyager)
          o "Assignment: Earth" (TOS)
          o "Tomorrow is Yesterday" (TOS)
          o Apollo 11 lands on the Moon (real-life).
          o Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
          o the Eugenics Wars start[11]
          o the Eugenics Wars end[11]
          o "Future's End" (VOY)
          o Voyager VI is launched [12]

[edit] 21st century

o The interstellar probe Nomad is launched. [1][13]
          o The past events of "Carpenter Street". (Enterprise)
          o The first successful Earth-Saturn spaceprobe mission takes place. [1][14]
          o The world's first self-sustaining civic environment Millennium Gate which became the model for the first habitat on Mars, completed in Portage Creek, Indiana. ("11:59", Voyager)
          o Sleeper ships are made obsolete.[15]
          o The reunification of Ireland
          o The past events of "Past Tense" (DS9)
          o Ares-IV, a manned mission to Mars is launched.[16]
          o The spaceship Charybdis makes an attempt to leave the solar system.[17]
          o World War III ends and the Earth is left devastated by the nuclear carnage of it. Scientific advancement continues, however.[18]
          o The past events of Star Trek: First Contact. Zefram Cochrane makes the first human warp flight with the Phoenix. This attracts the Vulcans and they make first contact with humans.
    * c. 2065
          o The SS Valiant is launched.[1][19]
          o the unmanned interstellar warp probe Friendship 1 is launched[20]
          o the colony ship SS Conestoga is launched. It would found the Terra Nova colony.[21]
          o Earth begins to recover from its nuclear war.[22]
          o Future Enterprise chief science officer T'Pol is born on Vulcan.

[edit] 22nd century

o Jonathan Archer is born in upstate New York on Earth.[23]
          o Zefram Cochrane who now is residing on Alpha Centauri sets off for parts unknown and disappears. Some thought he was testing a new engine. After an exhaustive search, it is believed that Cochrane has died. He becomes one of the most famous missing people in history.[24]
          o Hoshi Sato is born. [23]
    * 2151-2155
          o The events of Star Trek: Enterprise take place.[25]
    * 2156-2160
          o The Earth-Romulan War is fought between the United Earth and its allies, and the Romulan Star Empire. The war ends in a stalemate though the Romulans are defeated at the Battle of Cheron. The Romulan Neutral Zone is established.[1]
          o The United Federation of Planets is founded by Earth, Tellar, Andoria, and Vulcan.[26]
          o Sarek, Federation diplomat and father of Spock, is born on Vulcan.[27]
    * 2160s to 2196
          o The Daedalus class starship is active.[28]

[edit] 23rd century

o Montgomery Scott is born in Scotland.[29]
          o Leonard McCoy is born in Georgia on Earth.[30]
          o Spock, the son of Sarek and the human Amanda Grayson, is born on Vulcan.[31]
          o James T. Kirk is born.[32]
          o Hikaru Sulu is born in San Francisco.[33]
          o Uhura is born in the United States of Africa.[34]
    * 2245-2250
          o The USS Enterprise, a Constitution class vessel is launched under the command of Robert April, on a five-year mission of exploration.[1]
          o Pavel Chekov is born to Ukrainian parents.[35]
          o After a refit, the USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) is launched on a second five-year mission under Captain Christopher Pike.[1]
          o The events of "The Cage".[36]
          o The events of Star Trek (2009) take place.
    * 2261-2264
          o The USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) undergoes a major refit, increasing its crew complement from 200 to 400.[1]
          o Boothby, groundskeeper and counselor at Starfleet Academy, is born.
    * 2264-2269
          o James T. Kirk is captain of the starship Enterprise on a historic five-year mission.[1]
          o The events of "Where No Man Has Gone Before".
    * 2267-2269
          o The events of Star Trek: The Original Series take place.
          o 2269
                + The USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) returns from its five-year mission under the command of Captain James T. Kirk and enters major refit while Kirk is promoted to Admiral at Starfleet Command.
          o The events of Star Trek: The Motion Picture.
    * 2271-2276
          o The upgraded USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) embarks on a five-year mission under the command of Admiral James T. Kirk.[1]
          o Around this time the USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) is retired from active duty and assigned as a training vessel in orbit of Earth.[1]
          o The events of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.
          o The events of Star Trek III: The Search for Spock. The USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) is destroyed to prevent it from falling into Klingon hands.
          o The events of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.
          o The USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-A) is launched.
          o The events of Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. (Note that this film apparently takes place very nearly after the fourth film, as evidenced by Scotty's complaints about repairing the ship after its shakedown cruise, which was depicted at the end of Star Trek IV. Star Trek V would then take place in early 2287, with the events of Star Trek IV spanning most of 2286, with several months passing after Kirk's return to the future to account for the preparation of the Enterprise-A and Gillian's training for her space assignment.)
          o The events of Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. The Enterprise-A is slated to be decommissioned shortly afterwards.
          o The USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-B) is launched. James Kirk is presumed killed.

[edit] 24th century

o Jean-Luc Picard is born in LaBarre, France on Earth.[37]
          o The Tomed Incident.[1][38]
          o Beverly Howard is born in Copernicus City, Luna.[37]
          o Benjamin L. Sisko is born in New Orleans, Louisiana on Earth.[1]
          o Jean-Luc Picard becomes captain of the USS Stargazer.[1]
          o Geordi La Forge is born in the African Federation, Earth[37]
          o William T. Riker is born in Valdez, Alaska on Earth.[1]
          o Deanna Troi is born on Betazed.[37]
          o Kathryn Janeway is born in Bloomington, Indiana on Earth.[citation needed]
          o Tasha Yar is born in a failed Federation colony on Turkana-IV.[1]
          o Worf, son of Mogh is born on the Klingon Empire homeworld, Qo'noS.[1][39]
          o Julian Bashir is born.[40]
          o The Galaxy class development project is officially given the greenlight by Starfleet Command. [41]
          o The Enterprise-C, under the command of Capt Rachel Garrett, is destroyed defending a Klingon settlement on Narendra III under attack from Romulans.[1][42]
          o Due to the Enterprise-C 's sacrifice, a new era of more-open communication begins between the Federation & the Klingon Empire.
          o Worf's parents are killed in the Khitomer attack. Worf (age 6) is adopted by human parents.[1][43]
          o Annika Hansen is born in Tendara Colony, to Magnus and Erin Hansen
          o Annika Hansen is assimilated by the Borg.
          o Worf is the first Klingon to enter the Starfleet Academy.[1]
          o USS Galaxy (NX-70637), the prototype Galaxy class is launched. [41]
          o USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-D), the third Galaxy class starship (Following the Galaxy and Yamato) is launched from Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards in orbit of Mars, and becomes the Federation's new flagship.
    * 2364-2370
          o The events of Star Trek: The Next Generation.
          o The Borg Assimilate Captain Jean-Luc Picard - the Battle of Wolf 359 is fought in Sector 001. The battle results in the loss of 39 Starfleet vessels and over 11,000 lives with the borg continuing to Earth. Picard is rescued and the borg cube is destroyed via the actions of the Enterprise-D
    * 2369-2375
          o The events of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.
          o The events of Star Trek Generations. The USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-D) is destroyed - the stardrive section by a warp core breach; the saucer section containing the crew makes a forced landing on Veridian III. The ship is subsequently declared a total loss.
    * 2371-2377
          o The events of Star Trek: Voyager
          o "Caretaker: the USS Voyager is stranded in the Delta Quadrant.
          o Sovereign-class USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-E) launched.
          o The events of Star Trek: First Contact.
    * 2373-2375
          o The Dominion War is fought. After devastating losses on both sides, The Dominion surrenders to the Federation. With the Klingon military in ruins, and the Cardassian Union shattered, The Federation and Romulan Empire emerge from the conflict as the only major powers with the influence to affect Alpha quadrant politics.
          o The events of Star Trek: Insurrection.[44] Dialogue in this film and in the DS9 finale "What You Leave Behind" place the chronology of this film as during that episode, after the final battle of the war but before the treaty signing ceremony. Most notable in the film is Worf's ability to leave the station to join the Enterprise, as well as a line about Federation diplomats being involved in Dominion negotiations, and the Federation's willingness to work with the Son'a, who are established as a Dominion ally during the war.
          o With the help of a future Admiral Janeway, the U.S.S. Voyager returns to the Alpha Quadrant. ("Endgame")
          o The events of Star Trek Nemesis, resulting in the death of Lt. Cmdr. Data.[45]
          o According to Star Trek, Romulus is destroyed when its home star goes Supernova.
          o According to Star Trek: Countdown, Spock and Nero are flung into the black hole after it is used to destroy the Supernova.
[close]

Not that I'm a trekkie or anything but...

Spoiler
Wouldn't the fact that Spock went through a black hole and back in time, create an alternate universe and a whole new timeline?
[close]
It is most odd.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: May 12, 2009, 01:42:19 am »
Not that I'm a trekkie or anything but...

Spoiler
Wouldn't the fact that Spock went through a black hole and back in time, create an alternate universe and a whole new timeline?
[close]

its explained in the movie mate

Spoiler
Even though Spock went back in time, it did create another timeline but it branched off the origianal, so when Spock meets the young Kirk in the new one, he sets things right to keep the timeline continuing the way that we know it
[close]

Offline Manila Kop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: May 12, 2009, 03:02:50 am »
Cheers. You see, I wouldn't have minded if they'd have just dropped a line or two into the film by way of an explanation.
Though I guess at the same time, that could have raised even more questions.

I would've preferred integrating the comic into the movie to be honest.  That way the story wouldn't have seemed too full of holes.  But then I suppose 'enjoyable romps' can be forgiven the odd glaring plot lapse.

Offline Zaffarious

• likes 2 mins from the toilet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Militant Fan
« Reply #180 on: May 12, 2009, 11:29:28 am »
awesome movie. never liked star trek... i do now. missus was the same!

Offline hansen6

• RAWK Scientific Officer, 1687-1905
  • Legacy Fan
  • Must post more
« Reply #181 on: May 12, 2009, 11:38:16 am »
Saw it at the weekend, great movie.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: May 12, 2009, 01:48:17 pm »
its explained in the movie mate

Spoiler
Even though Spock went back in time, it did create another timeline but it branched off the origianal, so when Spock meets the young Kirk in the new one, he sets things right to keep the timeline continuing the way that we know it
[close]

Spoiler
Are you saying the alternate reality created by Spock basically disappeared by the end of the film? Because that's not right at all.
[close]

Offline Okkervil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: May 12, 2009, 02:21:49 pm »
Effectively the whole film is set in an alternate timeline. Except for the small section where Spock explains how he came through the black hole and one or too other minor bits. The original timeline still exists, and is added to it being the destruction of Romulus. The simple reason for Abrams setting up the alternate timeline is so he could do what he wanted. Star Trek is probably the largest piece of collaborative fiction ever created and its canon is complicated. It would have been very tricky for him to make a film about the young days of Kirk and Spock within the constraints of Trek canon, and still do the story he wanted.

Lets say three new Trek films are made (this one and two sequels, as trilogy's are very fashionable at the mo!). Its will be interesting to see if Abrams and co, make a stand alone Star Trek Trilogy set completely in the alternate timeline, or if the mix the timelines together but still keep them separate and open. Alternatively they may reintegrate this alternate timeline into the traditional Trek timeline. For me only the first two options are really viable.
To make men Socialists is nothing, but to make Socialism human is a great thing. - Oscar Wilde

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: May 12, 2009, 03:11:28 pm »
Just got back from seeing it, enjoy my sci-fi, tho I'd never really watched a Star Trek series before, just sort of watched an ep here and there when it was on the late night telly.

Thought it was brilliant, casting was fantastic - particularly Pegg as Scotty, and hopefully they have some sequels.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #185 on: May 12, 2009, 07:35:03 pm »
To echo what everyone else has said, Absolutely brilliant
2 hours long!?! felt about 20 minutes in all honesty (always a good sign)
and all the characters were played superbly without any tinges of parody which was nice to see
I thought Bones was played to a T and to find out how he got his name gave me a bit of a chuckle.

Will they make some more? I hope so, one or two more of that standard and I'd be chuffed to bits 

I reckon I may just go and watch this again......for factual purposes of course  ;)

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: May 12, 2009, 08:18:06 pm »
Spoiler
Are you saying the alternate reality created by Spock basically disappeared by the end of the film? Because that's not right at all.
[close]

Spoiler
No, its still there mate, but the audience only see's the reality from when Kirk and Spock are growing up together. The two realities are happening simultaneously
[close]

Offline Tommy_W

• Jol-ly. Constipated.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: May 12, 2009, 08:58:14 pm »
I'm a big Star Trek fan - can't say I was particularly wow'ed by this one though. It was good, but couldn't help thinking it felt like a made for TV movie with a big budget. Chris Pine and Karl Urban were very good though. To be honest the best part was the first 5 minutes - and it never really managed to hit those heights again
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 09:01:35 pm by Tommy_W »

Offline Okkervil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: May 12, 2009, 09:08:30 pm »
I'm a big Star Trek fan
Its spoilt forever for me now :(

;)

Offline Tommy_W

• Jol-ly. Constipated.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: May 12, 2009, 09:14:58 pm »
Its spoilt forever for me now :(

;)

At least I know why I didn't like the new one that much - it's because you ruddy liked it!

Oh, and as for the characters not having any tinges of parody - I thought Chekov was a walking parody to be honest! He took Walter Koenigs accent to a whole new level of stupidity!! Found it really distracting

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: May 12, 2009, 09:20:00 pm »
At least I know why I didn't like the new one that much - it's because you ruddy liked it!

Oh, and as for the characters not having any tinges of parody - I thought Chekov was a walking parody to be honest! He took Walter Koenigs accent to a whole new level of stupidity!! Found it really distracting

I actually just read that the Chekov in this one is 4 years older than TOS Chekov. So an older brother, probably. Which means TOS Chekov is parodying his older brother. The fuck stick.

Offline Okkervil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: May 12, 2009, 09:20:51 pm »
I actually thought a similar thing about Chekov. One scene that did irritate the Trekkie in me was the scene where Chekovs accent fooled the Enterprise computer, which of course would happen what with universal translators! But Pine's Kirk was the other way around. I thought he made Kirk his own, without taking it too far way for Shatner. I was surpised with Pine as initally i thought he was an awful piece of casting.

Offline Tommy_W

• Jol-ly. Constipated.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: May 12, 2009, 09:33:18 pm »
I actually thought a similar thing about Chekov. One scene that did irritate the Trekkie in me was the scene where Chekovs accent fooled the Enterprise computer, which of course would happen what with universal translators! But Pine's Kirk was the other way around. I thought he made Kirk his own, without taking it too far way for Shatner. I was surpised with Pine as initally i thought he was an awful piece of casting.

Na, Pine and Urban were by far the highlights of the film. Thought they nailed the characters perfectly.

Wasn't a big fan of Simon Pegg to be honest, although he was only really used for comedic effect. Uhura seemed nothing like the Uhura we know from the TV and films either. But I'd definitely give her one.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #193 on: May 12, 2009, 10:10:38 pm »

He's Russian, what do you expect lads, ye cranks :P  ;D

All the main characters parts we payed well i thought and to be fair, there was a lot of references to the original series and quite funny a lot of the time
Spoiler
you just knew the 'you've never seen him before crewmen' was going to die in the parachute scene  ;D
[close]

so ye, maybe some parody, but not all bad. I agree Pine was brilliant as Kirk
and Uhura was superb for obvious reasons....not to sure about green birds tho

are there any rumblings of second film?

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Slave

• Legacy Fan
  • Mmm, angel cake.
« Reply #194 on: May 12, 2009, 10:17:17 pm »
Na, Pine and Urban were by far the highlights of the film. Thought they nailed the characters perfectly.

Truth.
It is most odd.

Offline Marcus6

• QueenOfTheSouth7 (steals food from children)
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 ft 2, Eyes of Blue, Billy Bonds is after you...
« Reply #195 on: May 13, 2009, 01:17:29 pm »
Saw it yesterday, and it made me happy :)

Much better than I thought it would be.
From custard slices to menstrual waste in 4 posts. That's impressive, even for RAWK.

Offline Doogie

• Anny Roader
« Reply #196 on: May 13, 2009, 03:08:40 pm »
Saw it on saturday, and I liked the ending...you get too many endings that are drawn out, have a twist, have a point when you think that's it, then they ruin it by adding more etc...this ending though felt right, it made sense, it ended, i was happy.

Quality film throughout. I'm not a huge Star Trek fan but I used to watch enough of the old series on BBC2 on a Sunday growing up. So all the little in jokes I got.

And the away team scene, how I laughed.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #197 on: May 13, 2009, 03:28:11 pm »
Not a fan of Star Trek, but I went with a friend to see the film last night. It was alright, although I felt the whole alternate history/parallel universe storyline was a clever, cheap stunt designed solely to essentially re-write the structure of the series for future films and in the process erase character histories and relationships (e.g. Spock and Uhura's romance).

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #198 on: May 13, 2009, 03:54:18 pm »
Best ever Star Trek episode.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/F3kHy4fqtpU&amp;hl=nl&amp;fs=1]http://www.youtube.com/v/F3kHy4fqtpU&amp;hl=nl&amp;fs=1[/url]&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name=&quot;allowFullScreen&quot; value=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name=&quot;allowscriptaccess&quot; value=&quot;always&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;embed src=&quot;[url=http://www.youtube.com/v/F3kHy4fqtpU&amp;hl=nl&amp;fs=1]http://www.youtube.com/v/F3kHy4fqtpU&amp;hl=nl&amp;fs=1[/url]&quot; type=&quot;application/x-shockwave-flash&quot; allowscriptaccess=&quot;always&quot; allowfullscreen=&quot;true&quot; width=&quot;425&quot; height=&quot;344&quot;&gt;&lt;/embed&gt;&lt;/object&gt;[/font]" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/F3kHy4fqtpU&amp;hl=nl&amp;fs=1]http://www.youtube.com/v/F3kHy4fqtpU&amp;hl=nl&amp;fs=1[/url]&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name=&quot;allowFullScreen&quot; value=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name=&quot;allowscriptaccess&quot; value=&quot;always&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;embed src=&quot;[url=http://www.youtube.com/v/F3kHy4fqtpU&amp;hl=nl&amp;fs=1]http://www.youtube.com/v/F3kHy4fqtpU&amp;hl=nl&amp;fs=1[/url]&quot; type=&quot;application/x-shockwave-flash&quot; allowscriptaccess=&quot;always&quot; allowfullscreen=&quot;true&quot; width=&quot;425&quot; height=&quot;344&quot;&gt;&lt;/embed&gt;&lt;/object&gt;[/font]</a>

he he - loved that episode
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Okkervil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: May 13, 2009, 08:45:13 pm »
So basically, bar some consistencies in characters and things like that, anyone could make a version of the Star Trek story, seeing as there are alternate timelines and parallel universes?
Well technically i suppose. But there ways for these things to be done, and its really too early to say what will happen to the franchise as whole with two major timelines (if the new film can yet even be considered a major timeline). Yes Abrams has set up a new timeline, but no one could really do it again, as it just wouldn't be credible. Parallel universes are commen in Star Trek (DS9 & Enterprise have several mirror universe episodes) So there is no reason why the new films timeline cant exist alongside the old one.