Author Topic: Praise for LFC's transfer policy  (Read 241248 times)

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Praise for LFC's transfer policy
« Reply #3040 on: July 1, 2020, 10:37:14 am »
I know his stock has fallen in the last year but are we really at a point where Mason Holgate is considered an upgrade on Stones?

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3041 on: July 1, 2020, 10:41:22 am »
You'd have to be pretty dumb to join them if you were Ake or Holgate if they also sign a Koulibaly level CB.
A short stint  with some high wages and likely some trophies beofre dropping back to thier level seems smart to me. It's not like holgate or ake would be leaving 2 teams really achieving anything

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #3042 on: July 1, 2020, 10:42:45 am »
You'd have to be pretty dumb to join them if you were Ake or Holgate if they also sign a Koulibaly level CB.

It's not so dumb to double or triple your wages though, and I think players rate Pep Guardiola.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3043 on: July 1, 2020, 11:09:18 am »
It's not so dumb to double or triple your wages though, and I think players rate Pep Guardiola.

Yeah I get the financial aspect, what I meant was that it would be dumb for any player that wants to actually see a decent amount of playing time.

A short stint  with some high wages and likely some trophies beofre dropping back to thier level seems smart to me. It's not like holgate or ake would be leaving 2 teams really achieving anything

What's the point in winning trophies if you aren't really part of it? Ake especially would likely have his pick of PL teams if he wants to get out of Bournemouth (or if they're relegated).

Seen it a dozen or so times before whereby a player signs for City or Chelsea just to help them meet a quota and it never works out well. Danny Drinkwater, Scott Parker, Steve Sidwell etc.
« Last Edit: July 1, 2020, 11:13:32 am by LovelyCushionedHeader »
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3044 on: July 1, 2020, 11:23:06 am »
Yeah I get the financial aspect, what I meant was that it would be dumb for any player that wants to actually see a decent amount of playing time.

What's the point in winning trophies if you aren't really part of it? Ake especially would likely have his pick of PL teams if he wants to get out of Bournemouth (or if they're relegated).

Seen it a dozen or so times before whereby a player signs for City or Chelsea just to help them meet a quota and it never works out well. Danny Drinkwater, Scott Parker, Steve Sidwell etc.

Don't forget Jack Rodwell.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #3045 on: July 1, 2020, 11:31:21 am »
Don't forget Jack Rodwell.

tautology
/tɔːˈtɒlədʒi/
Learn to pronounce
noun
the saying of the same thing twice over in different words, generally considered to be a fault of style (e.g. they arrived one after the other in succession ).
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Paul1611

• Kopite
« Reply #3046 on: July 1, 2020, 11:34:48 am »
Big summer for City. We'll maybe have 1 or 2 ins and outs with squad players but nothing major. The Sane deal and Silva going clears the decks for some big signings. They'll go big on another couple of defenders for a start (Koulibaly and another 50 million full back probably). Time caught up a bit with Silva this season which will hopefully happen to Aguero and Fernandinho given their age now. Our team are all a good age.

AFCON postponement a big boost for us next year (although they'd have lost Mahrez).

I dont think so.  IF they get away with no ban, UEFA are going to be watching them like hawks, every transaction will be analysed, they will have to play by the rules. 
I see Roman has pumped £200mill into chelsea as a loan, so they are not in the best shape either. 

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3047 on: July 1, 2020, 11:38:53 am »
tautology
/tɔːˈtɒlədʒi/
Learn to pronounce
noun
the saying of the same thing twice over in different words, generally considered to be a fault of style (e.g. they arrived one after the other in succession ).

It may well be tautology. But Man City signing Jack Rodwell is still worth recounting.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3048 on: July 1, 2020, 11:41:25 am »
I dont think so.  IF they get away with no ban, UEFA are going to be watching them like hawks, every transaction will be analysed, they will have to play by the rules. 
I see Roman has pumped £200mill into chelsea as a loan, so they are not in the best shape either.

If they get away with no ban, they’re going to believe they’re untouchable and do whatever they want.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3049 on: July 1, 2020, 12:08:43 pm »

Winning a trophy and being part of that experience is likely more enjoyable than another season of nothingess

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #3050 on: July 1, 2020, 12:10:30 pm »
55 million and nearly 400k a week for Sane.... with 12 months left no his deal ....coming off an ACL .....

Not much sign of a dip in the market there - if prices are to drop it looks like it'll happen further down the food chain (i.e. not the CL clubs)

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #3051 on: July 1, 2020, 12:22:04 pm »

Ake is versatile and would probably end up playing left back for them. He'd be a good buy for us to cover the back four and has played midfield.

55 million and nearly 400k a week for Sane.... with 12 months left no his deal ....coming off an ACL .....

Not much sign of a dip in the market there - if prices are to drop it looks like it'll happen further down the food chain (i.e. not the CL clubs)

They'd have probably been looking at double that last summer before the injury. But the injury and now into the last year of his deal does half that value even before Covid. Wages are extremely high as well, so the market won't ease up too much.
« Last Edit: July 1, 2020, 12:24:12 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3052 on: July 1, 2020, 12:29:42 pm »
Ake is versatile and would probably end up playing left back for them. He'd be a good buy for us to cover the back four and has played midfield.

Yeah I like Ake, even bought him on my latest FM stint! But City will likely be buying another £50 million left back in addition to him, because that's what they do.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3053 on: July 1, 2020, 12:46:52 pm »
Yeah I like Ake, even bought him on my latest FM stint! But City will likely be buying another £50 million left back in addition to him, because that's what they do.

Ake is versatile but I don't think he's actually very good at anything, he's not good enough in any position to be anything more than a bit part player, he will be very expensive cover for mediocre performance, I'd much rather see us give opportunities to Ki Jan Hoever at CB / Rhys Williams etc

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3054 on: July 1, 2020, 01:19:31 pm »
Fordy right AGAIN.

Saka signs a new long term contract with Arsenal.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3055 on: July 1, 2020, 01:23:27 pm »
Apparently we and Chelsea are after a 17 year old German winger called Brixtonbutcher or something.  ;D

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3056 on: July 1, 2020, 01:26:01 pm »
With Wigan going in to admin...this lad from Liverpool Joe Gelhardt is certainly worth going for.

He was outstanding for their youth team and no shock he now part of their 1st team. He ripped our youth team a part in a game..Gave us a new one on his own.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #3057 on: July 1, 2020, 01:36:36 pm »
Apparently we and Chelsea are after a 17 year old German winger called Brixtonbutcher or something.  ;D

Nick Breitenbücher  :P

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3058 on: July 1, 2020, 01:39:36 pm »
Sorry DN My bad it's Brightonbutcher.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #3059 on: July 1, 2020, 02:25:02 pm »
Winning a trophy and being part of that experience is likely more enjoyable than another season of nothingess

Having your scrotum lacerated with a garden strimmer is likely more enjoyable than playing for Everton

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online Tobez

• Kopite
  • We all Live r pool
« Reply #3060 on: July 1, 2020, 02:27:04 pm »
Having your scrotum lacerated with a garden strimmer is likely more enjoyable than playing for Everton

Don't kinkshame me.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #3061 on: July 1, 2020, 02:53:24 pm »

Who's putting Holgate on the same level as Ake?

Catcherintherye?

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3062 on: July 1, 2020, 03:12:25 pm »
Osimhen is closing in on a switch £45million switch to Napoli, according to French reports.

Yet despite his impending move to Serie A, L'Equipe report that Jurgen Klopp is very interested in the player.

They state that the deal wouldn't be a problem for Liverpool, despite their decision to pull out of the running for Timo Werner.

The report adds that Klopp could be using claims that the club won't make any big signings to pull a rabbit out of the hat.

Exciting times ahead, wonder who the rabbit is.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #3063 on: July 1, 2020, 03:16:37 pm »

Unless they are artificially propping up the market for various reasons

1. Previously agreed negotiations
2. Expediting this specific transfer during CoVid for a strategic reason as opposed to letting it drag on (FFP ruling, plus ECL games ahead)
3. Bayern's budget impacted by Countries policies and organization -- they can act first because Germany has handled the pandemic well etc.. (Planning)

I would be slow to come to conclusions about how the market will sort itself out.  A sample size of 1 (as Werner's situation included a well known release clause).

Instead, I would see how the financial people in the US behave --- hedge funds and sovereign wealth funds should be a sensitive indicator of how quickly markets will recover regardless of PR
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3064 on: July 1, 2020, 03:28:06 pm »
Hearing that we’ve signed Moreno back.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3065 on: July 1, 2020, 03:28:39 pm »
... in 2014.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3066 on: July 1, 2020, 03:28:42 pm »
Osimhen is closing in on a switch £45million switch to Napoli, according to French reports.

Yet despite his impending move to Serie A, L'Equipe report that Jurgen Klopp is very interested in the player.

They state that the deal wouldn't be a problem for Liverpool, despite their decision to pull out of the running for Timo Werner.

The report adds that Klopp could be using claims that the club won't make any big signings to pull a rabbit out of the hat.

Exciting times ahead, wonder who the rabbit is.

I remember the same thing being said last summer.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #3067 on: July 1, 2020, 04:02:05 pm »
I remember the same thing being said last summer.

quite.

That will be the angle that’ll be pushed over and over by the tabloid media - as they thrive on transfer gossip and news, and Liverpool is likely the team that gets them the most attention, clicks and retweets. So the last thing they want is the ‘not doing any business’ line to be peddled constantly. They’ll make stuff up to get those desperate for transfers coming back again and again.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3068 on: July 1, 2020, 04:02:36 pm »
jamal lewis to city for 50m? full backs and pep. Charming combination.

What happened to sessegnon. seems like all the hype before robbo and chilwell.

I do think we will shop smarter this year. Covid just made the market go tits up and we have rocket scientist and physicist in our ranks. Might raid clubs that are in financial need and strengthen where we need for below the market price or shall i say post covid prices which is lower and more sensible.

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #3069 on: July 1, 2020, 04:05:35 pm »
With Wigan going in to admin...this lad from Liverpool Joe Gelhardt is certainly worth going for.

He was outstanding for their youth team and no shock he now part of their 1st team. He ripped our youth team a part in a game..Gave us a new one on his own.
I’d be shocked if those rumours didn’t resurface now

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #3070 on: July 1, 2020, 04:33:33 pm »

If true, how come a team like Napoli could afford such a transfer, yet we apparently can’t? I understand the oil clubs still throwing money around but Napoli?! Not having any sort of pop at the club, as I fully trust the decision makers to do the right thing, just curious.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3071 on: July 1, 2020, 04:37:09 pm »
If true, how come a team like Napoli could afford such a transfer, yet we apparently can’t? I understand the oil clubs still throwing money around but Napoli?! Not having any sort of pop at the club, as I fully trust the decision makers to do the right thing, just curious.

Could be that they're expecting Koulibaly to leave for a big fee and are looking to re-invest that money.

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #3072 on: July 1, 2020, 04:49:39 pm »
Could be that they're expecting Koulibaly to leave for a big fee and are looking to re-invest that money.

Yeah, that would make sense. Maybe Bayern would be a better comparison? Just paid £55m and £350k a week for Sane and presumably haven’t finished there?
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline ApfelStudel

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3073 on: July 1, 2020, 05:43:11 pm »
Yeah, that would make sense. Maybe Bayern would be a better comparison? Just paid £55m and £350k a week for Sane and presumably haven’t finished there?
It's probably due to risk minimization; Americans companies are usualy very good at this. It basically means that u dont operate under unclear/unknown circumstances. U figure out the situation first (do your research, due dilligence etc ) and than act.. Its all about minimizing the possibility for a financial loss. It makes sense to me that we are taking it easy during these uncertain times. The further down the road we are with COVID, the better we will understand what exactly it will mean for the business community and football clubs.

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3074 on: July 1, 2020, 09:49:13 pm »
Just watching Chelsea -Pulisic looks like he'd be a perfect fit at Liverpool. Shame we missed that boat but Willian would be a useful freebie option..

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3075 on: July 1, 2020, 09:51:25 pm »
Just watching Chelsea -Pulisic looks like he'd be a perfect fit at Liverpool. Shame we missed that boat but Willian would be a useful freebie option..

He’s had what, about 60 mins of decent performances since he joined them?

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3076 on: July 1, 2020, 10:25:19 pm »

With how things are due to COVID, I’d definitely take Willian as a short-term option. Surprised we’ve not heard where he’s going, thought he’d have a club lined up - like how Pedro has already agreed to go to Roma.

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3077 on: July 1, 2020, 10:35:40 pm »
We don't need short-term options.

If Willian leaves Chelsea, Joorabchian will fix him up with a huge contract.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3078 on: July 1, 2020, 10:46:14 pm »

My understanding is that it's not that we don't have the cash in the kitty, it's that we couldn't justify spending it on Werner.

The problem with Werner is that he was overpriced for what he could bring to us, plus we couldn't promise him what he wanted (regular first team starts). We're in a position where we don't need to pay big money for luxury squad players. It's a very different situation to when we bought Alisson and Virg.

No idea what the situation is with Osimhen, but we're going to get linked with every half-decent player from now on, whether it's genuine interest or agents trying to bump up their fee. Better get used to it.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #3079 on: July 1, 2020, 11:08:28 pm »
So glad the outlook of the club has changed.

For too long players coming in has took us as a stepping stone; South American players hoping to jump ship to Madrid or Barcelona - Suarez, Coutinho, Mascherano

There are also many others who took us for a ride, thinking we are their trophy club - Konchelski, Charlie Adam, Stuart Downing, Enrique. These players went backward the moment they walked through the door.

I could only recall 1 player outside of the current squad, who came to us while at the top of his game and looking to win trophies with us, and that was Fernando Torres. P

I am so glad we are now attracting players who actually wanted to join us to help us win trophies. Lots of credit must go to Klopp and our scouting team for finding the right players and developing their winning mentality to run through walls for this club.