Author Topic: The RAWK Gardening Thread. (All Questions Answered)  (Read 174493 times)

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The RAWK Gardening Thread. (All Questions Answered)
« Reply #1880 on: March 30, 2024, 02:28:58 pm »
Different types of Buddleia are also great for birds, they'll eat the seeds over winter & you cut them back in spring.

I've been getting our wild bird seed from Tesco, it's 12.5kg for £9.65.

That's a decent price mate.  We've been getting ours from the garden centre at £6.99 for 12.5kg but our birds aren't keen on it so most ends up on the floor.  We usually end up adding sunflower seeds and hearts to make it more interesting which defeats paying a low price 😂

Is that in-store or online?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1881 on: March 30, 2024, 02:40:55 pm »
That's a decent price mate.  We've been getting ours from the garden centre at £6.99 for 12.5kg but our birds aren't keen on it so most ends up on the floor.  We usually end up adding sunflower seeds and hearts to make it more interesting which defeats paying a low price 😂

Is that in-store or online?

Both & the buggers can get through it.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/308108736

Added the link because for some reason it doesn't show up with a normal search.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 02:43:47 pm by WhereAngelsPlay »
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1882 on: March 30, 2024, 06:29:34 pm »
Different types of Buddleia are also great for birds, they'll eat the seeds over winter & you cut them back in spring.

I've been getting our wild bird seed from Tesco, it's 12.5kg for £9.65.
Thank you very much, Buddleia has been added to my list.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1883 on: March 30, 2024, 07:45:44 pm »
Both & the buggers can get through it.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/308108736

Added the link because for some reason it doesn't show up with a normal search.

Cheers bud 👍

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #1884 on: March 30, 2024, 09:43:09 pm »
Hopefully someone in here can help - had new turf laid down. The undersoil is very wet still, am I to still water as the top layer needs to be wet to embed into soil below?

Don’t want to be watering if i’m flooding the soil below and doing it harm.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1885 on: March 30, 2024, 10:06:03 pm »
Hopefully someone in here can help - had new turf laid down. The undersoil is very wet still, am I to still water as the top layer needs to be wet to embed into soil below?

Don’t want to be watering if i’m flooding the soil below and doing it harm.

I'd say don't over water it mate as the roots will go in search of the moisture in the soil below but if it's too wet they can't take up oxygen and will drown.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #1886 on: March 31, 2024, 09:45:57 am »
This matters, gerron it.

https://act.gp/3Ag4bPa

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1887 on: March 31, 2024, 10:39:29 am »
Signed mate  :wave

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1888 on: March 31, 2024, 05:04:54 pm »
Thank you very much, Buddleia has been added to my list.

Keep an eye on Aldi special buys, good plants and good prices, they have a 2yr old Spring Clematis for £5.99 on Thursday, small ones are £1.89.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #1889 on: April 1, 2024, 07:20:04 pm »
One of the stems of my dragon tree has dropped all its leaves, it's now just a point. Should I trim it down to encourage new growth? Planning to repot it.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1890 on: April 2, 2024, 09:36:22 am »
One of the stems of my dragon tree has dropped all its leaves, it's now just a point. Should I trim it down to encourage new growth? Planning to repot it.

Yeah, you can cut it down, and it'll re-sprout near the cut end. It takes a while though. I just did this a few months ago, after mine was basically growing horizontal. I cut three of the four stems and they all sprouted again.

You can also put the offcut (or multiple shorter ones) into water, and they'll get leaves and roots.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1891 on: April 2, 2024, 10:26:50 am »
Nice one.

Another Q: any proven ways of keeping cats out of a planter? Tried netting and a 2L bottle half full of water but they seem to like digging past them.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1892 on: April 2, 2024, 11:15:18 am »
Nice one.

Another Q: any proven ways of keeping cats out of a planter? Tried netting and a 2L bottle half full of water but they seem to like digging past them.

Why are they going into the planter?

If there are mice in it, there's probably nothing you can do.

If they are using it as a toilet, you can try making it more uncomfortable, and offering them a better alternative nearby. They tend to like dry, loose ground for their toilet business, wet and hard they don't like.

If they just like sitting there, you could also try making it more uncomfortable. Wet soil, or plants that smell of lemon could help.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1893 on: April 2, 2024, 11:23:56 am »
Not sure. They use the soil bed at the back of the garden for their business and have done since day 1 as kittens, God love them. It might not be them but I haven't heard foxes and it's a good knee-height planter. Haven't seen or heard any mice either.

The soil is always wet, I live in the northwest of England. ;D Lemon could be a goer, a couple of halves in the planter?

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1894 on: April 2, 2024, 11:33:24 am »
If it's not their toilet, you really might have mice or something like that in it. Do the plants randomely die? They might be eating the roots.

Regarding the lemons - you could try that, but I was thinking of planting plants such as lemon mint or lemon thyme.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1895 on: April 2, 2024, 08:31:25 pm »
Keep an eye on Aldi special buys, good plants and good prices, they have a 2yr old Spring Clematis for £5.99 on Thursday, small ones are £1.89.
Thank you very much for the heads up, a clematis or two would look fab climbing up my shed.