Author Topic: Windows 10, professional spyware.  (Read 100354 times)

Offline coops

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Windows 10, it's not too shabby
« Reply #200 on: July 29, 2015, 06:38:53 pm »
Cheers it seems to have loaded, via Win update, but where has my nvidia control panel right-click gone?

I had same problem.
Download the latest driver from nvidia and do a custom install.  Tick the clean install option.  This gave me 353.30 with the control panel back.  Geforce experience then launched allowing me to download the latest driver(353.62)

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: July 29, 2015, 08:00:50 pm »
Ok ... newbie alert.

So how do I get my Win7 PC upgraded to Win10? What is this about an 'upgrade' you have to do first?

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: July 29, 2015, 08:18:00 pm »
I had same problem.
Download the latest driver from nvidia and do a custom install.  Tick the clean install option.  This gave me 353.30 with the control panel back.  Geforce experience then launched allowing me to download the latest driver(353.62)
Cheers mate. Not liking the auto-download features in Win 10. 2nd time I've been forced to re-install my anti-virus/firewall...
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: July 29, 2015, 08:36:19 pm »
Ok ... newbie alert.

So how do I get my Win7 PC upgraded to Win10? What is this about an 'upgrade' you have to do first?

If you don't have the icon on your startbar then you can do an upgrade from the following link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Online MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: July 29, 2015, 08:42:14 pm »
Will this work without a product key?

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: July 29, 2015, 08:55:07 pm »
If you don't have the icon on your startbar then you can do an upgrade from the following link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Thanks. And will take me through the whole process of upgrading my <cough>legit</cough> copy of Win7 to Win 10 ?

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #206 on: July 29, 2015, 09:23:08 pm »
Ok ... newbie alert.

They've gone 'keyless' for the upgrade to Win10. The way the system works is that during the installation of the Win10 upgrade over Win7, your Win7 key is validated and a 'snapshot' is taken of your system (hardware) and stored on microsoft's servers. Effectively, that's your Win10 licence. From then on you can do a clean install of Win10 from the relevant ISO (freely available on the Microsoft site using the media creation tool) and Microsoft will recognise your PC and activate automatically. A clean install of Win 10 and using your Win7 key during installation won't work because your PC hasn't been registered (for want of a better word). I don't know why, just the way it is.

Basically you have to still have Win7 on your PC the first time you install Win10 whether it's through windows update (if you've got the upgrade icon in your system tray - you may not have if your Win7 isn't fully up to date) or using the ISO.

EDIT: If your Win7 isn't legit then Win10 won't be either. And they'll notice this time. No point upgrading until there's a *cough*legit*cough* version of 10.

Cheers mate. Not liking the auto-download features in Win 10. 2nd time I've been forced to re-install my anti-virus/firewall...

Problems with auto updates, like the nvidia one (it's been going on a few days for insiders), can be worked around using a tool from microsoft that lets you remove and block updates but it's only meant as a temporary measure until the updates or drivers are fixed

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 09:27:50 pm by reniformis »
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: July 29, 2015, 09:31:49 pm »

EDIT: If your Win7 isn't legit then Win10 won't be either. And they'll notice this time. No point upgrading until there's a *cough*legit*cough* version of 10.

So it was all a lie when they said <cough>legit</cough> Win7 users could upgrade to Win10 for free ??

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #208 on: July 29, 2015, 09:34:15 pm »
My upgrade appears to be available - is it necessary to back up my files?

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: July 29, 2015, 09:47:32 pm »
So it was all a lie when they said <cough>legit</cough> Win7 users could upgrade to Win10 for free ??

It was always a really vague statement. Basically, it can technically be upgraded to 10 for free but it's still not genuine and this time the old hack won't work so it's probably back to nagware, hourly reboots etc. Unless there's a reliable Win10 hack about. I think there may be a get-out though, which is to basically agree to become a guinea pig for everyone else and run insider builds legitimately, although that programme is on hold at the moment and they haven't been very clear on the future of that either.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: July 29, 2015, 09:48:08 pm »
it's always a good idea to backup
STFU and agree with me.

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: July 29, 2015, 09:53:57 pm »
My upgrade appears to be available - is it necessary to back up my files?

It's always wise to back them up. The upgrade should keep them provided you choose that option during installation but you're a braver man than me if you don't ;)

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #212 on: July 30, 2015, 01:12:41 am »
It's always wise to back them up. The upgrade should keep them provided you choose that option during installation but you're a braver man than me if you don't ;)

I just went for it this morning.

But everything seems fine and working well no problem at all so far.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #213 on: July 30, 2015, 02:43:03 am »
My laptop is fucked - perhaps from downloading 10,000 fonts the other day, which in hindsight was not a very bright thing to do  ::)

Anyfuck. I've backed up all my files. Here in Bangkok, basically everyone is using a pirated copy of everything - I wouldn't even know where to go to get a legitimate copy of Windows or Office. I've asked at the shops and they don't know either. This morning I was planning to go to the shop I know best and have my system wiped clean, and then re-install pirated copies of Windows 8.1 (which I loathe), Office, and Adobe Creative Suite.

Then I saw this thread, so I'm not sure what to do now. (I hadn't realized Windows 10 was this close to coming out.) I'd be willing to buy Windows 8.1 and then use that legitimate copy to upgrade to 10 if it was worth it - I really fucking hate 8.1 very much - but I guess I would have to buy it online, since the computer wouldn't have an OS on it to use to connect to the internet, so I'd have to use my other computer to download it, then transfer it over to the laptop via external hard drive ...

I've just severely confused myself.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #214 on: July 30, 2015, 02:48:02 am »
My laptop is fucked - perhaps from downloading 10,000 fonts the other day, which in hindsight was not a very bright thing to do  ::)

Anyfuck. I've backed up all my files. Here in Bangkok, basically everyone is using a pirated copy of everything - I wouldn't even know where to go to get a legitimate copy of Windows or Office. I've asked at the shops and they don't know either. This morning I was planning to go to the shop I know best and have my system wiped clean, and then re-install pirated copies of Windows 8.1 (which I loathe), Office, and Adobe Creative Suite.

Then I saw this thread, so I'm not sure what to do now. (I hadn't realized Windows 10 was this close to coming out.) I'd be willing to buy Windows 8.1 and then use that legitimate copy to upgrade to 10 if it was worth it - I really fucking hate 8.1 very much - but I guess I would have to buy it online, since the computer wouldn't have an OS on it to use to connect to the internet, so I'd have to use my other computer to download it, then transfer it over to the laptop via external hard drive ...

I've just severely confused myself.

I upgraded from a pirated copy of windows 7.

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: July 30, 2015, 02:51:48 am »

Have you been using it mate? Is it working all right?

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #216 on: July 30, 2015, 02:55:38 am »
Have you been using it mate? Is it working all right?

Its fine no problems they gave it free to everyone even pirated copies

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2015/03/19/why-microsoft-is-giving-away-windows-10-to-pirates/

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #217 on: July 30, 2015, 03:00:19 am »
Installed, played around with it a little then left for work.

Can't really see the difference and I'm demanding the full screen Start Page tiles from 8.1 back! :no
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: July 30, 2015, 03:02:29 am »
Its fine no problems they gave it free to everyone even pirated copies

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2015/03/19/why-microsoft-is-giving-away-windows-10-to-pirates/

Cheers mate, that's reassuring.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: July 30, 2015, 03:26:12 am »

Can't really see the difference and I'm demanding the full screen Start Page tiles from 8.1 back! :no
I saw a setting for that under>Display I think, play around with it.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: July 30, 2015, 03:28:16 am »

I just realized what you meant by this. Do you really want those things back? I can't stand them.

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: July 30, 2015, 03:28:33 am »
Problems with auto updates, like the nvidia one (it's been going on a few days for insiders), can be worked around using a tool from microsoft that lets you remove and block updates but it's only meant as a temporary measure until the updates or drivers are fixed

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Cheers for that, forwarded link home.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: July 30, 2015, 03:32:46 am »

Go to Settings -> Personlisation -> Start and there is an option to 'Use start full screen' that should give you that back should you really want it.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #223 on: July 30, 2015, 08:15:56 am »
I just realized what you meant by this. Do you really want those things back? I can't stand them.
They give me single click access to the applications I use most frequently whenever I click the Start button. This is a lot better than clicking menus and navigating around to get what I want. I'm also one of those who dislike having application shortcuts on the Desktop.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #224 on: July 30, 2015, 08:17:53 am »
Found my first problem I can't now use my British Gas home top up device now says its not compatible, balls that means I have to walk up to the shop now to top up my electric key.

I guess they will sort this out soon.

Offline Packalacky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: July 30, 2015, 08:39:03 am »
Can't really see much difference to be honest, not a big fan of the new colour scheme.

Seems pretty stable and fast, so guess that's what matters.

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
« Reply #226 on: July 30, 2015, 09:36:27 am »
I've got my own laptop that I use for work - its a Dell E6430 Intel i5-3340 CPU @ 2.7GHZ  with 4gb Ram.

Do you think Windows 10 will cause any issues? I wont update in work cos it will lock it up for however long but might run it over the weekend. Or do you think I need more RAM?

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: July 30, 2015, 09:39:41 am »

Found this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Piracy/

For anyone who's interested in that sort of thing. Appears at least some Win7 copies activated using DAZloader are being upgraded and activated. KMSPico seems to be working for people as well.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 09:47:28 am by reniformis »

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: July 30, 2015, 09:41:03 am »
Doesn't the retail version of W7 allow installation on multiple machines?  How does that work wit W10?
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: July 30, 2015, 09:59:30 am »
Found this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Piracy/

For anyone who's interested in that sort of thing. Appears at least some Win7 copies activated using DAZloader are being upgraded and activated. KMSPico seems to be working for people as well.

Some are some aren't. It seems a bit random

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: July 30, 2015, 10:23:14 am »
Some are some aren't. It seems a bit random

I'm guessing that it depends on the configuration of the hack as DAZloader allows you to customise it. Someone will probably work out exactly which configurations work and which don't.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: July 30, 2015, 10:47:38 am »
I'm guessing that it depends on the configuration of the hack as DAZloader allows you to customise it. Someone will probably work out exactly which configurations work and which don't.
Hope so, it's encouraging though that it works even if its only some of the time.

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: July 30, 2015, 10:48:26 am »
Doesn't the retail version of W7 allow installation on multiple machines?  How does that work wit W10?

Not on multiple machines at the same time, but it can be transferred from one to another. According to the W10 EULA, that also applies to the overlying W10 upgrade. How that works in real terms isn't clear. Whether you'd have to go through the whole process of transferring the W7 licence first and then re-upgrade or you can clean install W10 with your W7 key, whether it involves ringing up microsoft to activate it etc nobody has a definitive answer. I guess we'll find out in the weeks ahead.

Also, to further muddy the waters, since W8 they've stopped referring to OEM and Retail licences, instead referring to pre-installed and standalone licences. Probably to stop the old method of people buying cheap OEM licences meant for PC manufacturers or whatever.

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: July 30, 2015, 10:50:20 am »
So how much free space on the c: drive does the win10 install process need ?

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: July 30, 2015, 10:50:25 am »
Hope so, it's encouraging though that it works even if its only some of the time.

Also, for legal reasons, I must state that I'd never heard of DAZloader until I typed it just then. Ahem.

Online swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: July 30, 2015, 11:03:59 am »
Downloaded it last night onto my Dad's latpop, which had a valid Windows 8 Key... Can't get it to Activate at present..

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: July 30, 2015, 11:14:42 am »
Downloaded it last night onto my Dad's latpop, which had a valid Windows 8 Key... Can't get it to Activate at present..

Was it updated to W8.1 first? Did you upgrade through Windows or use an ISO?

It may be that the activation servers are struggling with demand, it happened yesterday by the looks of it.

So how much free space on the c: drive does the win10 install process need ?

16Gb for 32-bit, 20Gb for 64-bit according to Microsoft. Whether that's how much the final installation uses or the amount you need to install it isn't specified.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 11:20:35 am by reniformis »

Online swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: July 30, 2015, 11:47:50 am »
Was it updated to W8.1 first? Did you upgrade through Windows or use an ISO?

It may be that the activation servers are struggling with demand, it happened yesterday by the looks of it.

I downloaded from the link someone provided above.

Before it installed, it said it checked for all updates etc.

I'm pretty sure it was on 8.1, but can't say for certain.

I'll try again when I get home tonight

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: July 30, 2015, 12:00:27 pm »
16Gb for 32-bit, 20Gb for 64-bit according to Microsoft. Whether that's how much the final installation uses or the amount you need to install it isn't specified.

Bugger - I already did loads of partition resizing last night to get 9GB more space on my C: drive thinking it would be enough :( will have to do some more now.

How on earth can it require that much even it does need to stop the archive and the contents of the archive !!!!

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: July 30, 2015, 12:39:18 pm »
Bugger - I already did loads of partition resizing last night to get 9GB more space on my C: drive thinking it would be enough :( will have to do some more now.

How on earth can it require that much even it does need to stop the archive and the contents of the archive !!!!

I'm guessing because you obviously need free space for the final installation + free space for temp files while its installing + free space for backing up your old windows in case you want to roll back + it won't free up your old windows space until all that is done. Basically at some point there's the equivalent of the space for 4 operating systems needed.